Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT vs UNIVERSITY...men vs boys?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

tbh i wasnt expecting the amount of replies i got on this subject. most of them were really helpful and gave me a good picture in terms of what i should expect if I were in the situation i explained.

as for the trolling... well there could only be one reason for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

as for the trolling... well there could only be one reason for that!!

troll_web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Rogueish wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is my (and only my) personal experience that this still happens.

I...that they were only accepting applications from a certain degree course in the UK (this was not specified on their prospectus) and is against HETAC policy. They would not put any of this in writing and so far have ignored any further inquiries into the matter.

How's that for snobbery!
    This is wrote: »
    thank you.

you've proved my point Rogueish.
    No, he hasn't, your point was that an IT seems to be considered inferior to a University degree. His point is that both the Irish IT and University degree were considered inferior to the UK degree.

So his point backs the view that the IT and Uni in Ireland are considered the same. ;)
    Sean_K wrote: »
    As such, people who have studied academically at an undergraduate level are more suited to going on to study it at a post-graduate level.
    For some courses yes, but not all. If you do a degree in science in an IT or Uni and then want to pursue a research PhD then it makes no difference what type institute you went to, the PhD is mostly practical work surrounded by reading on the subject are.

The only people I've encountered this 'Uni better than IT' snobbery in are undergraduate students tbh and a very few University lecturers, not many. I personally know one lecturer in NUIM who did his degree in Waterford IT.

Advertisement