Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Terrestrial TV Station

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IIRC RTE sold Leave it to Mrs O'Brien to Nigera so they have had one international hit :pac:

Strumpet City was sold around the world and was hugely successful for RTÉ. So successful that it made another period piece but it was about the 1798 rising, it did do as well and RTÉ stopped trying.

The clinic has been sold to several stations across Europe.

And lets not forget the Lyrics Board.
    7-pm Nuacht - 7.30pm Thar Saile (about Irish speakers in Creece) > not bad, 8.pm Siar An Bothar (archive music) > seen it all before, 8.30pm Without a Trace (US Missing persons drama), 9.25pm Am Aimsir (Missed it)! 9.30pm Fred Douglas agus na negroes Bana (Good Docu)! 10.30pm Glor Tire (talent show) > not impressed, 11.15pm Imeall (1970s style Country & Western event in a theatre) > not very good at all.

I was just thinking it wasn't the best night for TG4 yesterday :(

We didn't suggest that it was going to totally satisfy anyones needs but the shows that they do produce are often quality. Imeall is their arts show nothing to do with Country and Western.

www.tg4.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

7-pm Nuacht - 7.30pm Thar Saile (about Irish speakers in Creece) > not bad, 8.pm Siar An Bothar (archive music) > seen it all before, 8.30pm Without a Trace (US Missing persons drama), 9.25pm Am Aimsir (Missed it)! 9.30pm Fred Douglas agus na negroes Bana (Good Docu)! 10.30pm Glor Tire (talent show) > not impressed, 11.15pm Imeall (1970s style Country & Western event in a theatre) > not very good at all.

it might be worth clarifying that of the programmes mentioned above ...

NUACHT is made for TG4 by RTÉ
    Thar Saile is produced by Independent Pictures for RTÉ for TG4 (ie it is funded and overseen by RTÉ on behalf of TG4)
    Siar an Bothar is the Irish language version of Come West along the Road, both of which are made by RTÉ

That's just a snapshot of one night. RTÉ contributes several hours per day of programmes to the channel. I watch TG4 most nights and it's there for everyone to see on the end-boards: on music shows, on documentaries, on news: "RTÉ for TG4". Also a friend of mine appeared on Glas Vegas (the shame) and I was in the audience (the excitement): it was done entirely in RTÉ in Dublin. One of the people working on the show told me that the majority of TG4 studio output (Ardan, Scothsceal Phadraig, the cookery shows, etc) is done in RTÉ and RTÉ crews.

As an avid TG4 watcher and fan of their acquired programmes I don't think one can consider TG4 without considering very large RTÉ's role in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TvWatcher wrote: »

That's just a snapshot of one night. RTÉ contributes several hours per day of programmes to the channel. I watch TG4 most nights and it's there for everyone to see on the end-boards: on music shows, on documentaries, on news: "RTÉ for TG4". Also a friend of mine appeared on Glas Vegas (the shame) and I was in the audience (the excitement): it was done entirely in RTÉ in Dublin. One of the people working on the show told me that the majority of TG4 studio output (Ardan, Scothsceal Phadraig, the cookery shows, etc) is done in RTÉ and RTÉ crews.

As an avid TG4 watcher and fan of their acquired programmes I don't think one can consider TG4 without considering very large RTÉ's role in it.

Seoscheal Phadraig was a TG4 production for TG4.

Indeed there are many shows produced for TG4 by RTÉ. As I have said I don't know why TG4 allow RTÉ to commission entertainment shows for them. RTÉ are to provide 365hours per year (1 hour per day) to TG4 often this comes in the form of News and Current Affairs (7La), some new shows such as Glas Vegas (you can tell it was made by RTÉ) and some archive shows like Lergas, Sannal and west along the road.

Underdogs, Ros Na Run, Cula4, Pop4, Sile, Some cartoon in association with other European broadcasters such as Skunk Fu, Faisean Paisean, CU Burns, FCC, Bean an Ti, Cohra, Mobs Merica etc. where all commissioned or produced by TG4 for TG4 (mainly commissioned).

TG4 also dub several shows into Irish mainly for their Children's Strands.

And just like TV3, RTE, BBCNI, C4, UTV etc they have access to the Broadcasting Fund from the Licence fee.

Also all Sport TG4 is bought by TG4 for TG4. RTÉ sport have nothing to do with Sport TG4.

Advertisement