Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Terrestrial TV Station

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Never said it was. What I posted is my opinion because MOTD is too tabloidy and trivial for me; suggesting that anyone who favours Irish content is delusional because of some "de facto" complex re Irish content is a little patronising and dismissive.

As you said, I'll say : you have your opinion, and I beg to differ. But it's based on watching it and it's a valid opinion, not a "de facto" blinkered notion based on nothing.

I wasn't aiming it at any one person, it's just that typically a proportion of Irish people seem to be vindictive against anything that isn't "Irish", television is an obvious target given the transmission overlap with Britain and that proportions usual opinions on anything British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wasn't aiming it at any one person, it's just that typically a proportion of Irish people seem to be vindictive against anything that isn't "Irish", television is an obvious target given the transmission overlap with Britain and that proportions usual opinions on anything British.

Well, it's definitely not relevant to any of my posts. A couple of my favourite shows are UK ones (Qi, Coupling, Deal or no Deal) but I do think that when it comes to sports coverage - and in particular rugby - there's nothing from across the water that matches up.

It's true to say that there's a lot of good stuff on UK TV, but likewise there's lots of rubbish too - for every really good comedy or gameshow hit they have, there's at least 5 duds; according to the EPG, Big Bother is wasting space on 4 channels while I type! And the good stuff on the satellite channels is spread over a lot of channels - BBC2, BBC3, Dave, Paramount, Living, Alibi, Channel 4, More 4 - so it's impossible to pick one of them as significantly "better" than RTE.....

Out of what I'd deliberately sit down to watch, there are probably 2 or 3 shows on each of 6 or 7 channels, regardless of which one you pick, whether terrestrial or satellite.

But for me RTE2 just about shades it - not by much, but it does. Mind you, moving The Panel to RTE1 dropped it by about 20% !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I propose this thread be locked and let slide to the doldrems of page 4 - let's face it, no one goes any further back than page 3 - considering it doesn't even include TG4 in the poll, and as already pointed out includes the likes of BBC, ITV (Cringe), and Channel 4, which have no place in a terrestial tv poll. I've got an ariel and I can't get any of those channels - how is it terrestial if only some people get it.
    Lock the thread or we'll wreck the gaff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

There are two posters intent on spoiling this thread (because in their opinion) the inclusion of the Ulster/ Welsh BBC/ ITV/ CHN4 terrestrial TV signals a bridge too far (or just too foreign 4 their liking maybe)? :confused:

I presume you two posters would have preferred if the Thread/Poll looked like this.

BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    CHN4
    RTE1
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4

If the sight of the NI/Welsh BBC/ UTV/ CHN4 Channels upsets you so much, then why dont you go and start your own TV Thread/Poll specially dedicated to the the 'Big Four' Irish TV Stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Camelot wrote: »
    There are two posters intent on spoiling this thread (because in their opinion) the inclusion of the Ulster/ Welsh BBC/ ITV/ CHN4 terrestrial TV signals a bridge too far (or just too foreign 4 their liking maybe)? :confused:

:rolleyes: Then don't call the thread "terrestrial"; also (since I assume you're referring to me) I wasn't intent on spoiling anything. If you're actually looking for someone to blame, I suggest you check with the person who drew up the list and omitted TG4 while including others.
    I presume you two posters would have preferred if the Thread/Poll looked like this.

It's not a question of preference, it's a question of offering the options that match the thread title. Simple as. If it were preference I'd omit TV3, but it's not.
    If the sight of the NI/Welsh BBC/ UTV/ CHN4 Channels upsets you so much, then why dont you go and start your own TV Thread/Poll specially dedicated to the the 'Big Four' Irish TV Stations?

Correction : the sight of them in a poll about terrestrial stations, and one which excluded TG4 at that, meant the poll was wrong; rather than simply acknowledging that, we got an "I work in the business so I know better" response and a rake of posts debating the issue, including "I listed my criteria in post 1, so stick to those [ even if you have different opinion of what constitutes a favourite ] ".

THOSE posts are what dragged the thread down.

How is that so hard to comprehend that we have 4 terrestrial stations, and in a thread about them people are perfectly entitled to mention and discuss TG4 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JanusGeminius

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Then don't call the thread "terrestrial"; also (since I assume you're referring to me) I wasn't intent on spoiling anything. If you're actually looking for someone to blame, I suggest you check with the person who drew up the list and omitted TG4 while including others.

But They are terrestrial, just because they are broadcast from another nation doesn't mean they should be discounted. They are Terrestrial broadcasts by any definition used by the industry and as such should be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How come five wasn't included ?

I have create a new thread with all of them except five, I forgot sorry.

Elmo wrote: »
    How come five wasn't included ?

Five wasnt included because you cant pick it up on an Aerial for love nor money :)

Five wasnt included because you cant pick it up on an Aerial for love nor money :)

But is a terrestrial channel. But then so are BBC Three, four, ITV 2, 3, 4, E4, MORE4, FILM4, 4MUSIC and a range of other DTT freeview channels.

Any one receive France 2 OR TVE via ariel?

Hi Elmo, have just been to your Poll & voted.

• Advertisement

BBC1
    BBC2
    UTV
    CHN4
    RTE1
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4

Ha! If I was actually trying to spoil this thread, as you put it, you'd know about it.
    I'm just trying to generate discussion and a controversial one at that.
    Having said that I stand by what I say and you ruined this thread yourself with that joke of a poll.
    I think you mentioned something about working in the industry and therefore you know what you're talking about - that's a load of bs, first of all and secondly making coffee for Martin King before he does that TV3 comedy, "The Weather Forecast", doesn't count as working in the industry.

Ha! If I was actually trying to spoil this thread, as you put it, you'd know about it.
    I'm just trying to generate discussion and a controversial one at that.
    Having said that I stand by what I say and you ruined this thread yourself with that joke of a poll.
    I think you mentioned something about working in the industry and therefore you know what you're talking about - that's a load of bs, first of all and secondly making coffee for Martin King before he does that TV3 comedy, "The Weather Forecast", doesn't count as working in the industry.

Charming, charming indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Elmo wrote: »
    TG4 as far as programming is concerned. Kind of don't know which ones to vote for.

+1
    I'd watch TG4 more then RTE 1 and probably only watch RTE2 for Sport.

Missing from the poll I see when many areas of Ireland can't even get the British terrestrial channels......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

That poll should have had TG Ceathair right from the off. Definitely my favourite Terrestrial channel.

I honestly had no idea that TG4 would be peoples favourite TV Station > ahead of BBC2, BBC1, CHN4, RTE1, RTE 2, ITV etc ...........

But there you go, I have learnt a valuable lesson by doing this poll if nothing else, and if you really want to vote for TG4 as "Your Favourite Station" then you can vote in Elmo's new Thread.

I honestly had no idea that TG4 would be peoples favourite TV Station > ahead of BBC2, BBC1, CHN4, RTE1, RTE 2, ITV etc ...........

But there you go, I have learnt a valuable lesson by doing this poll if nothing else, and if you really want to vote for TG4 as "Your Favourite Station" then you can vote in Elmo's new Thread.

Well you shouldn't just assume, that just isn't good research!

Vote Here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

That's pathetic :rolleyes:
    Apologies to those who wanted TG4 in the Poll of Favourite Terrestrial TV Stations, but to be perfectly honest with you, I never even thought about people voting for TG4 as their Favourite terrestrial (all encompassing TV Station), and if you look at Post#1 again, can TG4 really cater for all those needs?

SORRY Chaps, I had no idea that TG4 was right up there with the best of them.

I don't see why you look down on TG4. They have a number of good programmes.

jane86, I dont look down on TG4, and indeed I have watched many a good film on that Station over the Christmas > but its not my favourite Terrestrial TV Station, and as I have already said a couple of posts ago, I had no idea that people would vote for TG4 as their "Favourite Terrestrial Station" for their (Comedy/ Music/ News/ Current Affairs/ etc) needs, against the likes of BBC1, BBC2, CHN4, RTE1, RTE2, ITV, TV3 etc .....

I dont look down on TG4, but I certainly could'nt get most of my TV needs from it.

as I have already said a couple of posts ago, I had no idea that people would vote for TG4 as their "Favourite Terrestrial Station" for their (Comedy/ Music/ News/ Current Affairs/ etc) needs, against the likes of BBC1, BBC2, CHN4, RTE1, RTE2, ITV, TV3 etc .....

I dont look down on TG4, but I certainly could'nt get most of my TV needs from it.

When was the last time RTÉ did a decent music show? TG4 has plenty of music shows.

The news is the same on both TG4 and RTÉ, except that TG4 do it as Gaeilge.

There are plenty of current affairs shows on both TG4 and RTÉ, so again just like RTÉ they're equal in that sense.

Have RTÉ ever made a comedy that worked? TG4's CU Burn has been said to be up there with Father Ted.

TV3 have none of the things you've mentioned. They don't have a decent music show, the news is done badly, very rarely do they have current affairs shows and they have no homemade comedies - think they tried to make one once, but no one watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Can you add TG4 to the poll? They'd get my vote.

• Advertisement

But Tristram, if you only had one Station for Friday / Saturday/ Sunday, what terrestrial (non cable) station would fulfil your Comedy needs/ News/ Current affairs/ Music/ & Documentary needs?

Dont get me wrong, TG4 is a Great Station, but BBC2 would be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

But Tristram, if you only had one Station for Friday / Saturday/ Sunday, what terrestrial (non cable) station would fulfil your Comedy needs/ News/ Current affairs/ Music/ & Documentary needs?

Um, you asked a question and produced a flawed poll. Stop trying to justify this, and stop presuming that TG4 does not fulfil all those 'needs'.

I'd choose TG4 too. It has some fantastic home-produced shows, like Afraic, Paisean Faisean, etc.

OK OK OK > I shall watch TG4 for tonight only, and see how it compares ............

which means I will miss Masterchef, Waterloo Road, Stockwell, the secret life of Elephants, and I will even sacrafice 'QI' (BBC2 10pm) in the line of duty to 'check out' TG4 for the evening :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

hmmm... prolly BBC2, mainly because of Newsnight and University Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

OK OK OK > I shall watch TG4 for tonight only, and see how it compares ............

which means I will miss Masterchef, Waterloo Road, Stockwell, the secret life of Elephants, and I will even sacrafice 'QI' (10pm BBC2) in the line of duty to 'check out' TG4 :-))

No, you're entitled to your opinion. Watch what you like. Just be aware that others may not share your opinion, like you are now aware that TG4 is more popular than you initially thought.

It's only TV. Let's not all fight about it! :D

I will report back tomorrow on how I got on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have RTÉ ever made a comedy that worked? TG4's CU Burn has been said to be up there with Father Ted.
    No it's not as good as Fr Ted in fairness. But it's not bad , better than Fear An Phoist which itself is better than any of the recent haha stuff on RTE (though in fairness the scrolling text was good in spots on the news program )

IIRC RTE sold Leave it to Mrs O'Brien to Nigera so they have had one international hit :pac:

Problem is that there is just so much political material out there and nothing remotly close to ruffling feathers like scrap saturday or Halls pictoral weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

IIRC RTE sold Leave it to Mrs O'Brien to Nigera so they have had one international hit :pac:

Poor Nigerians as if they hadn't suffered enough :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

My favourite channels are ITV 1, BBC 1, TV3 and TG4. I like ITV because they have a good choice of programming, especially on Saturday evening viewing. BBC because they have some good programmes. TV3 is the best Irish Channel compared to RTE who have not really moved with the times. Only recently they copied TV3 with an apprentice style programme, Five Women Go Back To Work! They can't beat Bill Cullen!! Or TV3 for that matter! TG4 is good for Irish documentaries and they show some good movies

Cheers,
    Merlie :)

• Advertisement

That Yellow text is an interesting choice merlie :)

So I did indeed watch TG4 last night to see if it was as great as some posters said, this is what I thought.

7-pm Nuacht - 7.30pm Thar Saile (about Irish speakers in Creece) > not bad, 8.pm Siar An Bothar (archive music) > seen it all before, 8.30pm Without a Trace (US Missing persons drama), 9.25pm Am Aimsir (Missed it)! 9.30pm Fred Douglas agus na negroes Bana (Good Docu)! 10.30pm Glor Tire (talent show) > not impressed, 11.15pm Imeall (1970s style Country & Western event in a theatre) > not very good at all.

After last night I would describe TG4 as being like pleasant background music, likeable, good, unthreatening, harmless, warm, quaint, surprising, (very similar to S4C) which also has excellent films, but I still cant see TG4 fulfilling all my TV needs (as described in Post#1).

Advertisement