Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new UPC Mediabox / Thomson / EPG Remote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Just received a new NTL box last Thursday and yesterday the same problems mentioned here have occured. no tech support working on sunday so try logging a call tomorrow though from what i read here dont hold out to much hope of a fix. knew I should have gone with SKY :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KeyserSöze

mobby wrote: »
    Just received a new NTL box last Thursday and yesterday the same problems mentioned here have occured. no tech support working on sunday so try logging a call tomorrow though from what i read here dont hold out to much hope of a fix. knew I should have gone with SKY :(

You mean the problems with the remote and its random craziness??

Mine have all but gone away now - I reckon it was due to interference from other devices, including my remote control based "green" power socket standby system. I now have a working system, but the planet is doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LKAlias1989

I don't think it is the remote cos mine has the same problem and it is a real blood boiler when organizing my reminders in the tv guide menu it keeps escaping back to the channel I had on or it takes me to my recordings page or my reminders page for no reason. And my favourites also can be tough to go into as it doesn't even load them up and it just throws me back to the channel. I have noticed this gets worse the more recordings I have stored on the hard drive. I might just order the HD for the once off 40 quid fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

Hi all,

I am getting the very same issues with my remote control and it's driving us mad! Command build up, lag, volume button changes channel, jumping to channel 100 etc etc :mad:

I have a Thomson box (installed in January) with the following details:
    • Hardware version: 6221 UPC
    • Software version: 3.8.0.692
    • Bootloader version: 01.11.01.10

Is anyone else still getting this or have the issues disappeared? Does anyone know if it is it a case of the hardware in some of the boxes being glitchy and hence a new box might fix the issue? Or is it just down to poor software?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hingham

We had similar problems with the remote on the Thomson Mediabox.

I had an engineer out to look at it. He resolved it by setting "Energy Saving" to Off on our Samsung LCD TV. The remote now works OK.

Odd that this isn't in the FAQ.

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Myself and 2 friends from work have all gotten the Mediabox (living in separate areas of Dublin) over the last 2 months and we all have the same remote problems. I rang UPC and they said it was a common issue and try a factory reset. Tried it but it didn't make a difference. What a load of b*lox! They can't even get the basics right - WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Hingham wrote: »
    We had similar problems with the remote on the Thomson Mediabox.

I had an engineer out to look at it. He resolved it by setting "Energy Saving" to Off on our Samsung LCD TV. The remote now works OK.

Odd that this isn't in the FAQ.

David

Many Thanks this sorted out my remote issue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm also experiencing the 'mind of its own' problem with the UPC media box.

I've tried all the suggestions in the thread and no joy.

Did anyone ever figure out how to fix this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Machine

I turned off the energy saving mode on my TV there has been an improvement. It's not perfect but definitely and improvement.

I originally thought that a power saving mode could have nothing to do with this issue but maybe there is something in it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just got my UPC media box replaced and guess what ... Still the same shoite !

It's doing my head in .

Any suggestions anyone .

Sorry for raising the dead Thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sbcelt

mixednuts wrote: »
    Just got my UPC media box replaced and guess what ... Still the same shoite !

It's doing my head in .

Any suggestions anyone .

Sorry for raising the dead Thread .

i have one:( its just a crap interface, very frustrating trying to use it

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Tried the energy saving thing on my LG tv. Seems to work nicely. Will post again tomorrow with an update.

Just as well really. If I ever see that chap thats on channel 100, the UPC info loop, I will punch him directly in the face. Directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Big_G wrote: »
    Tried the energy saving thing on my LG tv. Seems to work nicely. Will post again tomorrow with an update.

Just as well really. If I ever see that chap thats on channel 100, the UPC info loop, I will punch him directly in the face. Directly.

that's some energy saving technique there if your TV has a fist mark in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Hingham wrote: »

Just browsing through here looking for solution. Same fix just worked for me on Panasonic tv. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Had issues with our Thomson mediabox when we changed TVs. It seems the Thomson and other boxes are a bit over sensitive to IR interference. Solution for me was to put a bit of masking tape over the sensor on the media box. The remote still works fine, but no more random craziness! Try with one layer of tape, and add a second if it still causes problems.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Got the Thompson box yesterday and before the channels went on their holidays last night, it had been making an awful racket. I can hear it in the sittingroom with the tv on from the kitchen. Sounds like Concorde taking off. I presume its the hdd. Please tell me thats not normal

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Got the Thompson box yesterday and before the channels went on their holidays last night, it had been making an awful racket. I can hear it in the sittingroom with the tv on from the kitchen. Sounds like Concorde taking off. I presume its the hdd. Please tell me thats not normal

I'd say that's the cooling fan. Normally it should be on at low speed when the box is switched on, which is fairly quiet. But now and I again I notice it run at very high speed for maybe about 30 seconds and then back to normal.

- barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Cooling fan sounds about right, but it constant.
    Rang the Tech (hah!) Dept. this morning and was told to ring the self install hotline(hah!), which doesn't open till 12 midday.
    Should have switched to Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

barryj wrote: »
    Had issues with our Thomson mediabox when we changed TVs. It seems the Thomson and other boxes are a bit over sensitive to IR interference. Solution for me was to put a bit of masking tape over the sensor on the media box. The remote still works fine, but no more random craziness! Try with one layer of tape, and add a second if it still causes problems.

- barry

Where would the sensor on the UPC Box located? I have a Pace box with the same problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement