Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with new UPC Mediabox / Thomson / EPG Remote

Options
  • 18-01-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello all,

I just got the UPC Mediabox (by Thomson) this week but already the problems have started. Sometimes the remote works perfectly, but half the time it just goes nuts! I was trying to think of a more technical term, alas "bonkers" was my only alternative...

Symptoms:
    - Unresponsive
    - Build up of command sequence (when unresponsive) and then fires all those commands
    - Randomly tries to select a channel number '5' or '4' or so on (when browsing, using volume, etc), and kindly tells me that the is no channel '5' or '4' or '2' (channels start @ 100) and then it returns to that really annoying UPC Info TV loop channel.

What have we tried:
    - We have tried changing the batteries (twice): no dice.
    - I have sat between two inches and 20 feet from the machine: no dice.
    - When the system is not responding to the remote I have tried using the few buttons on the front of the Thomson/UPC box: they work, so the box is not 'dead'.

Would there be any interference from:
    - My Macbook <> Netgear Wireless?
    - Other random electronics?

As I say, probably 50% of the time it is perfect, but the other 50% is it as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

I have a call in with NTL/UPC, but sure...

TIA for any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

this happens to me too but only sometimes
    most of the time it works

i think its a software problem

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KeyserSöze

dunworth1 wrote: »
    this happens to me too but only sometimes
    most of the time it works

i think its a software problem

Thanks dunworth1. This is more than "sometimes". This evening for instance we could hardly use the remote but now it is working OK-ish again. At one stage I had to actually get my a$$ off the recliner and press the buttons on the box to change the channels!! It is THAT serious people - I had to dismount the recliner! We have tried it from all sorts of distance and angles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Might sound stupid, but the batteries might be the problem, especially cheaper 1s, get new ones and that should sort it

No luck there - I've tried three sets, including brand new fancy Dura ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I have the same problem... Rang UPC loads of times, had an engineer visit..he replaced the remote...didnt fix it! Then he suggested that it was interference from other remotes (even ones not in use) and that we should move them out of the room...BIG SURPRISE, that didnt work! So he finally said that it must be a software issue on the box and that it would be updated 'Soon'.... Lots of help he was!

I find it usually happens when moving quickly through channels or menus...Best way to avoid it is to plug out the box every night (I know its not ideal if you have recordings set but I find that a hard reset helps it alot!)

• Advertisement

I have the same problem... Rang UPC loads of times, had an engineer visit..he replaced the remote...didnt fix it! Then he suggested that it was interference from other remotes (even ones not in use) and that we should move them out of the room...BIG SURPRISE, that didnt work! So he finally said that it must be a software issue on the box and that it would be updated 'Soon'.... Lots of help he was!

I find it usually happens when moving quickly through channels or menus...Best way to avoid it is to plug out the box every night (I know its not ideal if you have recordings set but I find that a hard reset helps it alot!)

Thanks Dave. I actually do shut it down each day while I am at work, and if I am not recording it is shut down at night and is only rebooted the next evening. At least you got to talk to somebody in UPC. I might do a bit of experimenting with moving things around / powering down other alliances, but the software issue would sound like the most likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Whilst hard-resets are usually the simplest & most direct way of rectifying faults, I would suggest that unplugging your box at night may be counter-productive as I would imagine UPC roll out software updates at night when the least number of people are using their boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i have the new box installed in june and had it till october and they sent out and enginner and replaced it with the old pace box. thr guy said the new boxes software is bad and tends to freeze alot. Even tho the old box is working . UPC are a complete joke give you rubbish stories and rubbish equipment and now charge you more for it too!

I have to admit, the old Pace box was pretty sound. It might have frozen a few times, but at least it rebooted itself and responded to the remote!!

Last night's experience was a new one - I was watching a recording, got to the ad break, pressed the fast forward - hey presto, the box switched itself off and when I went back into the recording it was back @ minute 1... so I had to fast forward half way through the hour long program again!

It still random throws the number 5 at the box, trying to then change to a non-existent channel #5, and then defaults to that annoying UPC commercial channel advertising their great services. Ironic.

Ah the joy of it:

"Thank you for your email.

Please be advised that I will arrange for a remote control to be sent out to you. There will be a €25.99 charge applied to your account. Please return the broken remote and this charge will be credited to your account.

Please ensure that you include your account number when returning the remote so we can credit the account.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on our freephone number 1908 or email us on customer.support@upc.ie
    Kind regards,"

any further queries - does this include "why don't you answer your phones" and "why does it take you three days to respond to a query by email"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

I just had this new box installed yesterday and already having same problems as mentioned above!! What software version are you guys on? Mine is 3.7.0.3 - is there a better one that I can update to?

Any other quick fixes for the "mind of its own" remote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

carrollf wrote: »
    I just had this new box installed yesterday and already having same problems as mentioned above!! What software version are you guys on? Mine is 3.7.0.3 - is there a better one that I can update to?

No, that's the newest one, released last week with little or no bug fixes. See the "dual recording goes live today" thread to read about all the pointless updates we got. :mad:

carrollf wrote: »

I find if you add a lot of patience... I still have my problems - I am just learning to live with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brenman48

HI, Does anybody know how to get the digital output connection to work with standard optical cables on the UPC mediabox, as in home cinema and dvd. I have home cinema system with the usual optical connection, but this box does not have the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭highdef

It as an RCA/phono type connection for the digital audio. I think the actual socket is a black color. The analogue audio outputs are red and white for right and left, respectively. If you have a home cinema system, it should have at least one of these connections.

highdef wrote: »
    It as an RCA/phono type connection for the digital audio. I think the actual socket is a black color. The analogue audio outputs are red and white for right and left, respectively. If you have a home cinema system, it should have at least one of these connections.

Thanks for reply... With this cable connection, is it only possible to have three channel's or will 5.1 work thru home cinema(Samsung HT-TZ215)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

brenman48 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply... With this cable connection, is it only possible to have three channel's or will 5.1 work thru home cinema(Samsung HT-TZ215)
    None of the channels on UPC transmit 5.1, or anything other than just stereo AFAIK, so yes in principle, but no in practice.

Alun wrote: »
    None of the channels on UPC transmit 5.1, or anything other than just stereo AFAIK, so yes in principle, but no in practice.

But was thinking that i should get something thru the home cinema. Have been on to a few electronic outlets stores, was told there is a digital convertor that can be plugged into the UPC. Not kept in stock...

brenman48 wrote: »
    But was thinking that i should get something thru the home cinema. Have been on to a few electronic outlets stores, was told there is a digital convertor that can be plugged into the UPC. Not kept in stock...
    Are you sure you don't have an RCA phono style digital input on your amp as well as the optical one? I'd be surprised if you didn't. In any case, even if you do manage to connect it somehow, the most you'll get out of your amp is some kind of "simulated" 5.1 from the 2.0 input supplied by the UPC box.

Are you sure you don't have an RCA phono style digital input on your amp as well as the optical one? I'd be surprised if you didn't. In any case, even if you do manage to connect it somehow, the most you'll get out of your amp is some kind of "simulated" 5.1 from the 2.0 input supplied by the UPC box.

There is digital audio output and left/right channel which would take RCA. The thing i don't understand is why nobody on any forum has asked this question. Also don't see why it has this type of connection, when all equipment in this area has optical output. Simulated 5.1 would be fine, better than just 2 channel.

• Advertisement

Thanks for site......Well this box is recently only released, that is really what i meant to say. And does not make sense to have this connection....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭inlimboland

Same problem here regarding unresponsive/mind of its own remote.
    I even recieved a new cable box and new remote - it worked fine for a couple of hours and then guess what , yes you guessed -exact same problem as before:mad:
    What is wrong with NTL? the level of incompetence is mind boggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

So does dual recording work or not? :mad:

Mine doesn't and I'm on 3.7.0.3...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AlanG

i'm getting the same issue - only have the box 3 weeks. on versions 3.7.0.3
    the front panel buttons don't even work for me when it freezes so i don't think its a remote issue.

does anyone have the code to reset the upc part of the remote to the default?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

Im having problems with subtitles on my UPC box for the last while. Every time I change a channel or a new program comes on on the same channel, the subtitles appear. I have to keep turning them off which gets very irritating after a while. Tried to get through to someone from UPC today but after a long time on hold, gave up. Still happening even after changing the card. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these permenantly?

south wrote: »
    Im having problems with subtitles on my UPC box for the last while. Every time I change a channel or a new program comes on on the same channel, the subtitles appear. I have to keep turning them off which gets very irritating after a while. Tried to get through to someone from UPC today but after a long time on hold, gave up. Still happening even after changing the card. Any suggestions on how to get rid of these permenantly?

you have to turn it off in the menu section

press menu on the remote

go into settings

then into preference settings

set subtitle language to off

done no more subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

dunworth1 wrote: »
    you have to turn it off in the menu section

press menu on the remote

go into settings

then into preference settings

set subtitle language to off

done no more subtitles

thanks for the reply. I've tried that but it keeps happening. I plug out the box most nights would it have something to do with that ?

south wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. I've tried that but it keeps happening. I plug out the box most nights would it have something to do with that ?

when you change the setting does it turn off the subtitles

if it does is it when you plug back in the box the next day the subtitles are back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

have you pressed the upc button on the remote and tried again ?
    if you press dvd-r none of the buttons on the remote work untill you press upc again

Advertisement