Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moon Landing Hoax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How do you know that the astronaut did not brush against it, since he is bewtween the flag and the camera, you would not see it.

Also if one was spending all this money to fake the landing, would they not check the footage for obvious things like this?
    There's also the fact that if you look closely you'll see that the flag starts to move just before the guy passes it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_laser_ranging_experiment
    The experiment was first made possible by a retroreflector array installed on July 21, 1969, by the crew of the Apollo 11. Two more retroreflector arrays left by the Apollo 14 and Apollo 15 missions have contributed to the experiment.

The unmanned Soviet Lunokhod 1 and Lunokhod 2 rovers carried smaller arrays. Reflected signals were initially received from Lunokhod 1, but no return signals have been detected since 1971, at least in part due to some uncertainty in its location on the Moon. Lunokhod 2's array continues to return signals to Earth

only question is , how big a laser would you need to do this test your self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Also if one was spending all this money to fake the landing, would they not check the footage for obvious things like this?

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Homer Sexual

How do you know that the astronaut did not brush against it, since he is bewtween the flag and the camera, you would not see it.

This was addressed on page 1, post #14.

Whether or not they missed something is irrelevant to the discussion IMO. These things do happen. And it's not THAT obvious. Besides, one still has to explain why there's an atmosphere on the moon.

humanji wrote: »
    There's also the fact that if you look closely you'll see that the flag starts to move just before the guy passes it.

It appears to move exactly as you'd expect if someone approached and passed, i.e., first back a tiny bit, and then back and forth. You can easily replicate this at home. I did!

In any case though, why would it blow at all in a vacuum? I suppose if you believe the, "There's an atmosphere and aliens on the moon" theory it might explain it, but that's another topic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This was addressed on page 1, post #14.

No, it is not, just more speculation.
    Besides, one still has to explain why there's an atmosphere on the moon.

There is no need to explain something that does not exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Besides, one still has to explain why there's an atmosphere on the moon.

No. At best, the argument could be made that one has to explain why the flag moved.

They have, but gave up once the american beat them to it..

I think you should read my followup post from earlier today.

I wasn't seriously suggesting that the Russians didn't have a moon program.

Rather, I was hinting towards what I see as a problem - that one can believe in the absolute truth of a space race whilst believing that the moon-landings were faked.

It appears to move exactly as you'd expect if someone approached and passed, i.e., first back a tiny bit, and then back and forth. You can easily replicate this at home. I did!

I don't see how that can be it at all. The astronaut would have to be huge to displace enough air so that a flag a couple of feet away would move. I'll put good money on you not being able to replicate it.

In any case though, why would it blow at all in a vacuum? I suppose if you believe the, "There's an atmosphere and aliens on the moon" theory it might explain it, but that's another topic!

Nobody has actually said there's an atmosphere on the moon, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'll put forward the theories that a (very) quick google brought up for me. I'm sure having such an interest in the topic that the OP will no doubt be aware of them.
    Some claim that the jumping astronaut could have kicked rocks as he was approaching the flag hitting the pole. Others claim it was a simple illusion and he was in fact closer to the flag then it seemed and did in fact brush by it (I know this was dealt with by the OP) but it seems like the most likely explanation is electrostatic caused by the spacesuit which apparently would be much stronger on the moon. This also explains why the flag moves slightly away from the astronaut as he approaches (you claim to have reproduced this on earth so I'd be intrigued if you could post a video of this?) But if you still don't believe these theories then perhaps you can explain the very unearthly like pendulum motion of the flag after he has passed. I bet you cant replicate that at home. (Post a video if you can?)

• Advertisement

I'll put forward the theories that a (very) quick google brought up for me. I'm sure having such an interest in the topic that the OP will no doubt be aware of them.
    Some claim that the jumping astronaut could have kicked rocks as he was approaching the flag hitting the pole. Others claim it was a simple illusion and he was in fact closer to the flag then it seemed and did in fact brush by it (I know this was dealt with by the OP) but it seems like the most likely explanation is electrostatic caused by the spacesuit which apparently would be much stronger on the moon. This also explains why the flag moves slightly away from the astronaut as he approaches (you claim to have reproduced this on earth so I'd be intrigued if you could post a video of this?) But if you still don't believe these theories then perhaps you can explain the very unearthly like pendulum motion of the flag after he has passed. I bet you cant replicate that at home. (Post a video if you can?)

It doesn't look like the flag pole received a blow.

Is it really so hard to believe I tried this myself? I replicated this with a tissue, sellotape and pencils, and I'm not about to post a video. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same.

To replicate it correctly, you'd need to mimic the entire scene. You'd need astronaut suits, a flag made of the same material as the one in the video and a large area set up exactly like the one in the video. That's why I was saying I doubt you've replicated it, as it'd cost you a fortune (and it can't be worth that much to prove a point :D ).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you'd also need springs or harnesses / slow down the film so they jump and land at 1/6th g

744982_b3fb_625x1000.jpg

745068_ebe6_625x1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Seinfeld returns? Negro please...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

As I've said meself I have no Doubt that someone went to the moon, what I've always wonered was did they send someone on a one way trip first to set things up and make sure that when they did send the Astronauts there was some hope of getting them back alive, I mean why waste all that effort if the Radiation outside the earths atmosphere kills them before they're even half way there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

It doesn't look like the flag pole received a blow.

Is it really so hard to believe I tried this myself? I replicated this with a tissue, sellotape and pencils, and I'm not about to post a video. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same.

No it doesn't look like the flag pole received a blow, I agree that that explanation is hooey. I'm just wondering if when you tried it did the fabric move in that pendulum type way that it does in the video? Or have you ever seen fabric move like that before? Even if you pick up the corner of some hanging fabric and drop it again? Wouldn't happen on earth because of air resistance.
    As I've said meself I have no Doubt that someone went to the moon, what I've always wonered was did they send someone on a one way trip first to set things up and make sure that when they did send the Astronauts there was some hope of getting them back alive, I mean why waste all that effort if the Radiation outside the earths atmosphere kills them before they're even half way there?

It is interesting pondering these things but then I wonder about the logistics of keeping something like that secret and mundane old real life kicks in. What were the names of these mysterious astronauts? Why would they have agreed to it? It would have taken hundreds of people to man the instruments etc... these people would be sitting on a goldmine, surly a few would have come forward.

As far as I'm concerned the moon landing really was one of the pinnacles of human ingenuity and science and I must admit to getting a bit peeved when someone just casually and without evidence just brushes it aside and dismisses such accomplishments. Can't imagine what those involved must feel...

Yeah it more or less moved in the same way.

I often wonder why they haven't gone back to the moon, even just to make an IMAX film (ticket sales would pay for the mission!), or why the Russians haven't sent a man there, or why they haven't gone to Mars yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I often wonder why they haven't gone back to the moon, even just to make an IMAX film (ticket sales would pay for the mission!), or why the Russians haven't sent a man there, or why they haven't gone to Mars yet.

They have not gone back because they were thrown off the moon in 1969 by extraterrestrials , they landed near them in gigantic spaceships on the moon and basically told them to take a hike .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

lol thats brlliant

espinolman wrote: »
    They have not gone back because they were thrown off the moon in 1969 by extraterrestrials.

You mean 1972, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

bonkey wrote: »
    You mean 1972, right?

No i am thinking subsequent missions were faked.

Conversation with nasa here :

http://www.thothweb.com/article2704.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Well, just after the last moon mission we had this big global recession in the mid seventies and the whole apollo program was canned.

When NASA got funding back, they went with the space shuttle program and this was soooo over budget, behind schedule and delivering so much less that imagined/planned/designed that they no longer have the effectible ability to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Those are terrible questions.

1) What is the point? They collected numerous sample while there, can you think of any reason to spend all that money apart from making a stupid film?

2) They could barely afford to keep their country running during communism, once the Yanks had beat them to it, there was no point. Since the collapse of communism the country has stagnated, economically. The Chinese are going there soon, would that satisfy you?

3) Going to Mars is a far greater proposal than going to the Moon. Given the fact that it it much further away. In addition, they would have to set up a base there that would be self-sufficient. The technology for making this possible is only now becoming viable.

Advertisement