Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young'un's Today!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

:mad: Think what your saying here, New super mario is utter crap compared to
    Mario 1
    Mario 2 lost levels
    Mario 3
    Mario world
    Yoshi's island

New super mario has been made easier/crappier for the new DS/Wii generation.

Mario 64 Is Amazing, even in a recent Edge magazine "top 100 games to play now" Mario 64 came Second in the list, with most of the Developers they Asked to mention there fav game mentioned Mario 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,449 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

appleidog wrote: »
    :mad: Think what your saying here, New super mario is utter crap compared to
    Mario 1
    Mario 2 lost levels
    Mario 3
    Mario world
    Yoshi's island

They are some of the greatest games of all time. I wouldn't say New Super Mario bros is better or on the same level, but it's still damn fun.

Fun + looks good + high replay value = crap? Doesn't make any sense to me....
    wrote:

New super mario has been made easier/crappier for the new DS/Wii generation.

I agree that the current generation doesn't seem to have the time for hard as nails platformers like those of yesteryear (Only have to think of some of the reviews of Megaman 9 for example :mad:)

However! it's still a lot of fun. Doesn't have to be sh1t hard to be fun!
    Mario 64 Is Amazing, even in a recent Edge magazine "top 100 games to play now" Mario 64 came Second in the list, with most of the Developers they Asked to mention there fav game mentioned Mario 64.

I'm not saying it's a crap game. I remember how revolutionary it was when it came out.
    However like most N64 games, I really can't stand playing it.

What i am saying is that New super mario is the worst out of Mario series!. Im not saying that its a bad game Im just saying its the worst out of the mario series, which is one of the most highly regarded series in history,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not to offend, but

ARE YOU INSANE????

Seriously, we have never had it so good.
    From a great range of titles, since launch, on the 360, PGR4, Geometry Wars, Lost Planet, Fallout 3, Halo 3, GOW/2 etc.
    From the PS3 finally getting into gear and producing some nice games, with mroe on the way, Heavenly Sword, GT5 Prologue, MGS4.
    From the Wii giving us another way to play, more inclusive and fun on the one hand, with Wii Sport and Wii Fit, not to mention more hardcore titles, Metroid Prime 3 and No More Heroes.
    With the handheld scene bringing us some truely great experiences, Zelda TPH, Professor Layton, Ridge Racer 2, Wipeout Pulse.

Honestly, it's next to impossible to defend the notion that gaming today is "dull".

PGR4 - 5th sequel in a series I didn't actually find interesting in the first place on the Dreamcast.

Geometry Wars - this I like. Freeware Grid Wars 2 on the PC is better though.

Lost Planet - sorry but this wasn't much good

Fallout 3 - If it's anything like Oblivion it's going to bore me. If I wanted something like this I'd rather play Deus Ex

Halo 3 - enjoyed the multiplayer alot in the first game.. but it is the 3rd in a series that hasn't changed massively. It's not exactly mindblowingly exciting.

GOW/2 etc - third person action title in the style of Devil May Cry. Yes! This is a fresh idea.

Heavenly Sword - rubbish

GT5 Prologue - I finished GT1 and GT2 completely. Every game since has been the exact same except more dull.

MGS4 - this series is going on for 20 years. I didn't like it in the first place.

And so on and so on. Wipeout and Ridge Racer are awesome. Other than that a big 'meh'.

Master of the Universe

PGR4 - 5th sequel in a series I didn't actually find interesting in the first place on the Dreamcast.

Geometry Wars - this I like. Freeware Grid Wars 2 on the PC is better though.

Lost Planet - sorry but this wasn't much good

Fallout 3 - If it's anything like Oblivion it's going to bore me. If I wanted something like this I'd rather play Deus Ex

Halo 3 - enjoyed the multiplayer alot in the first game.. but it is the 3rd in a series that hasn't changed massively. It's not exactly mindblowingly exciting.

GOW/2 etc - third person action title in the style of Devil May Cry. Yes! This is a fresh idea.

Heavenly Sword - rubbish

GT5 Prologue - I finished GT1 and GT2 completely. Every game since has been the exact same except more dull.

MGS4 - this series is going on for 20 years. I didn't like it in the first place.

And so on and so on. Wipeout and Ridge Racer are awesome. Other than that a big 'meh'.

I'd be somewhere in the middle myself. I lack Ciderman's enthusiasm for the current generation but am not as pessamistic as yourself ;)

I loved Fallout 3. Although that's probably because I've been waiting about 10 years for a new fallout game.

Also really really enjoying Mirrors Edge at the moment.

But anyway, I'm going to shut up now and get back to Mario...
    What i am saying is that New super mario is the worst out of Mario series!. Im not saying that its a bad game Im just saying its the worst out of the mario series, which is one of the most highly regarded series in history,

Worst in one of the best series of all time isn't too bad I suppose...!
    (Still think Mario64 is the worst, but I'm going to shut up now before you stab me in the face :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario Bros. 2 is the worst although I don't count it as a real mario game.

Master of the Universe

That's because it's not :p

Lost Levels is Mario 2. Which is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

mario should be shot...theres to much of a good thing...end of.this thread wasn't about mario either.One man id hate to be is the fella who does the voice of mario...god help the man.if i had to listen to people say "itsa me a mario" etc... to him a hundred times over i'd go insane.The games were great but when will the stop??...notice how mario never ages with time either...lucky bastard!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If marios next game is as good as mario galaxy I never want nintendo to stop making mario games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I realised this week that whilst I'm all about the current generation, its the retro games I really enjoy. I all but hated GTA DS, traded it for the classical Platformer Henry Hatsworth which Im really enjoying and on the Wii I've been playing Bubble Bobble Plus every chance i get

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New Super Mario Bros, sure it may not compare to the level design of previous Mario titles, or have the innovative powerups but it more than makes up for it by being one of the best if not the best platformer on the DS, it looks gorgeous, sonically brilliant, the humour is spot on, and yes, it's easy but so what?
    Does every Mario title have to be cripplingly hard, I mean, honestly, Super Mario World wasn't hard, anyone could finish it, finding all the secrets, that took skill but the core game was not too hard at all.

I consider New Super Mario Bros to be a comfortable easy and fun visit to the Mushroom kingdom, just as the Lost Levels was a very uncomfortable, hard and sometimes frustrating visit to the Mushroom kingdom.

Master of the Universe

just as the Lost Levels was a very uncomfortable, hard and sometimes frustrating visit to the Mushroom kingdom.

Too true. Was playing it last night for the first time in a few years. Christ I forgot how difficult it was. Straight off the bat.

Turned it off in frustration for some nice easy Donkey Kong Country instead.

Which, contrary to what some people have been saying here, does actually still look quite good. I'm thinking it may be how they're playing it. Doesn't look nearly as good on an EMU/PC as it does on a CRT television.

New Super Mario Brothers is so easy a coma patient could finish it.

I'm not saying every Mario should be as hard as Lost Levels, or even Mario 64 but I think the more recent games are perhaps pandering a tiny bit too much for pansies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was just thinking this the other day, I have a load of games left unplayed. Saint row 2, L4D, Far cry 2, even GTA4 hasn't been finished yet. I was wondering am I just getting too old for this **** or weather games are just losing their sole.

Never liked mario though that game used to drive me crazy. Luckily the snes could take being pulled of the shelf and given the odd kick across the floor.

Master of the Universe

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was just thinking this the other day, I have a load of games left unplayed. Saint row 2, L4D, Far cry 2, even GTA4 hasn't been finished yet. I was wondering am I just getting too old for this **** or weather games are just losing their sole.

I'm the same. I think the problem is that too many games out now just require more dedication than I have time. Must have about 10 360 games sitting there unfinished. Haven't even started playing some of them. (RE5 got about 20 min and hasnt been touched since)

That's what I loved about having a cab. You could just plug it in and have instantly accessible gaming for about 20 min or so. Suppose you could say the same for most classic consoles too.

Since the advent of the memory card most games have gotten 10 times longer than they used to be. Give me arcade and cartridge games over your modern muck any day of the week. Back in the day games didn't get finished purely because they were too hard, and the ones that weren't too hard got finished multiple times. None of that sitting on the shelf gathering dust bull****.

Since the advent of the memory card most games have gotten 10 times longer than they used to be. Give me arcade and cartridge games over your modern muck any day of the week. Back in the day games didn't get finished purely because they were too hard, and the ones that weren't too hard got finished multiple times. None of that sitting on the shelf gathering dust bull****.

It's the reason I love my saturn so much. Loads of excellent arcade pick up and play games. I actually have more games from PSN and XBLA than I have full games and usually end up playing them for the same amount of time.

Also I think one of the factors of Panzer Dragoon Saga being my favourite RPG was that it was only 17 hours long. It managed to tell a more intricate and epic storyline than any RPG I've played but because of the total lack of fetch quests and other tie extending excercises it didn't have to be 40+ hours.

I'm still not convinced the DKC games are great. They are okay platformers wrapped up in stunning graphics for their time. Just started listening to retronauts and the guys on that seem to echo my sentiments except they think they are just ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm the same. I think the problem is that too many games out now just require more dedication than I have time. Must have about 10 360 games sitting there unfinished. Haven't even started playing some of them. (RE5 got about 20 min and hasnt been touched since)

That's what I loved about having a cab. You could just plug it in and have instantly accessible gaming for about 20 min or so. Suppose you could say the same for most classic consoles too.
    Ya true, even just comparing GTA3 to GTA4, 3 was great fun to drive around not playing the missions. In GTA4 it's a pain because you know some tool will be ringing you soon and if you don't take the call you losing out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Too true. Was playing it last night for the first time in a few years. Christ I forgot how difficult it was. Straight off the bat.

Turned it off in frustration for some nice easy Donkey Kong Country instead.

Which, contrary to what some people have been saying here, does actually still look quite good. I'm thinking it may be how they're playing it. Doesn't look nearly as good on an EMU/PC as it does on a CRT television.

Donkey Kong Country is a great game, it's totally unfair to compare it to any of the Mario series, they are different games simple as that, and I always enjoyed the DKC titles, bar the N64 incarnation, as I have mentioned before.
    Not sure what purpose the New Super Mario Bros bashing is in aid of, people being very very harsh here, the game is targeted at an audience that are totally new to games, those whose first console is the DS lite, and that's why the game is so accessible, compared to it's forebears.

As for the Mario 64 vs Super Mario World/3 thing that's started here, what's the deal folks?
    Once again it's like comparing chalk and cheese, and whilst the 2D Mario titles were masterpieces of design and all the rest, they evolved from earlier titles, like Donkey Kong, Loderunner etc.
    Mario 64 was incredible, it was a true trail blazer, ploughing a furrow no one else had attempted, on hardware no one else had programmed, on a brand new notion of control, it was true genius, whilst it's level design was as inspired as any of the 2D Mario titles, in the same way as the tracks in Outrun 2006 are inspired, it's ok to be fantastic without suggesting that those that went before are now somehow devalued.

As for the issue of the follow-ups to Mario 64, namely Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy, well, it's true that neither one is as non-stop brilliant as Mario 64, the two sequels cease to have much to compete with when a more console wide view is taken, in which case, in their respective generations, there is little to touch either one.
    There was nothing, as such, as brilliant as Mario Sunshine on either the Xbox or PS2, and certainly nothing as incredible as Mario Galaxy on the 360 or PS3.

Now, that should clear a few things up....

Gunstar Heroes ---- 6/10 at the most I reckon ;)

Gunstar Heroes ---- 6/10 at the most I reckon ;)

Must....keep....mouth....shut :mad:

• Advertisement

Funny thing is though, aside from the awfulness that is Gunstar Heroes, that Mario Galaxy could have been done, in theory, on the Gamecube, and conversely on the similarly powered Xbox and PS2.
    And Sony and MS never came up with anything as wonderful as Mario Sunshine/Galaxy. they tried gods bless them, Sly Raccoon, awful Crash sequels, Blinx, none holding a candle to Shigsys work of genius.
    So, if you want to bash the latter 3D Mario titles for not being as good as Mario64 then go right ahead, it only throws into sharp relief how incredible Mario64 was to begin with.

One question though, why, given that Mario 64 was happy to live on the DS, why oh why hasn't Zelda OoT not made the move?
    I would be first in line to buy it if it popped up for sale, in physical form or as a download from the DSi store.

Hey, Insomnia.ac write a pretty convincing argument for why Gunstar Heroes isn't the best thing ever.

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/megadrive/gunstarheroes/

From a gameplay balance point of view I think it's probably fair to say Gunstar Super Heroes is the better game. The weapons system is more balance. I still prefer the first game though for sheer fun. The 2nd one feels like more like an Alien Soldier sequel, which seemed a bit more dry and technical.

There are also lots of people who dislike Donkey Kong Country. I always found it pretty boring and the art style while impressive at the time is rather ugly in retrospect.

I'm sorry but that article really just missed the point of the whole game. Expert mode is only for experts, normal is quite manageable and hard is for people that want to experience a decent challenge once they mastered normal. No mention of the game adding new attack patterns up until Hard mode so the game plays a little differently each time? Also, so what if some weapon combinations are imbalanced. It still takes a huge amount of skill to become proficient in the use of the two best weapons. One is incredibly short ranged and the other needs the player to stay stationary. Does the game not add more replayability in that you have another 14 weapons that you can go through the game with?

Unavoidable damage? You're just **** mate but at least the game caters to you with a health meter. A game isn't automatically crap because it isn't 1 hit kill. Calling it a euroshooter is stupid. It may have a health system but the tight design and good boss battles are 100% japanese design philosophy.

Whats with the score? I never found myself caring about it. Also never saw anything wrong with the respawning enemies. Strange that this has been a staple of the genre since Contra. It's not even game breaking it just keeps the action constant. Total moot point. There's also criticism of the optional moves in the game that advanced players can use but are totally unnecessary. They are included to add a bit more flare, just because he can't use them he should complain about them because they are totally unnecessary to the enjoyment of the game. The game is full of some of the greatest bosses ever and one of the most fluid play experiences of the 16-bit generation, why only a small paragraph at the end? It just stinks of someone going against the grain just for controversies sake.

I also was very disappointed with Gunstar Super Heroes and would say it was average at best. Boss design was veyr poor with boss battles lasting from 20-60 seconds which is a disgrace. Sometimes they were dead before they could start any of their attack patterns. There were some really poorly designed levels. The fake 3D levels served no purpose other than to show off what the programmers could do with the hardware and the top down helicopter section was a disgrace of bad level design. The weapon system was also a very poor compared to the original. Instead of 20 weapons you got 3 which all did basically the same thing. I don't care if you think having less weapons makes it more balanced but the three weapons are interchangeable or worse, completely useless, with no real benefits for using a different one. Contra Shattered Soldier did the 3 weapons thing a whole lot better with 3 weapons and their secondary fire modes all needing to be used in different situations.

I think what it comes down to is that Gunstar Heroes is just plain fun and one of the best two player experiences. Try to name a better run and gunner and you can't. Some come close but Gunstar Heroes is just better, although that sounds a bit arrogant I'll stand by it until proven wrong.

Rant over :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'm still not convinced the DKC games are great. They are okay platformers wrapped up in stunning graphics for their time. Just started listening to retronauts and the guys on that seem to echo my sentiments except they think they are just ****.

Actually was just play dkc2 on GBA, and what a crap game the series is! the Gameboy original was not bad now, but really overrated series.

And i'm currently playing Panzeer dragoon on saturn fantastic game.

And i'm currently playing Panzeer dragoon on saturn fantastic game.

The first game? I think it's dated terribly. The nasty sprite reflections look awful and the 20fps the game is locked to hurts the eyes. Looks rubbish now and the last level is a bit too tough for it's own good.

I think the series comes into it's own in Panzer Dragoon Zwei. The soundtrack develops it's unique sound that remained through the series, the game runs at a smoother 30 fps, the art style gets better, the plot thickens and it's just a damn fine rail shooter. I've said enough about Saga and Orta I think but well both games are awesome.

Hey, Insomnia.ac write a pretty convincing argument for why Gunstar Heroes isn't the best thing ever.

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/megadrive/gunstarheroes/

From a gameplay balance point of view I think it's probably fair to say Gunstar Super Heroes is the better game. The weapons system is more balance. I still prefer the first game though for sheer fun. The 2nd one feels like more like an Alien Soldier sequel, which seemed a bit more dry and technical.

I'm still not finished with you.

I think I've made my feelings clear on what I think of Edge magazine. Edge magazine are creeps. Treasure as a company are gentlemen, class acts, rebels and they stand up to bullies. If you're going to quote gutter videogame journalism then you can do it on your own. As for that review you linked to, I'll tell you who wrote it. The webmaster of insomnia.ac wrote it, a man that ran off on his wife for a young one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I think I've made my feelings clear on what I think of Edge magazine. Edge magazine are creeps. Treasure as a company are gentlemen, class acts, rebels and they stand up to bullies. If you're going to quote gutter videogame journalism then you can do it on your own. As for that review you linked to, I'll tell you who wrote it. The webmaster of insomnia.ac wrote it, a man that ran off on his wife for a young one!

thanks for that dunphy. whats next, 'he's a rebel, a class act' etc.......

someone's personal life has NOTHING got to do with their ability to do their job. maradona did booze, drugs, women to excess and remained the greatest footballer of his generation (and many would say ever).

do you think his name has an asterisk beside it to point to the fact that his personal life wasn't perfect? nope. know why? cos it doesn't matter

i have to compliment you on your small mindedness though. i thought it went out with de 'pol pot' velara

and before you dig up the dirt on me in response to my post, i'll freely admit to sharing maradonna's vices

You've got a Gunstar Heroes tattoo, haven't you!
    Or, you have a strange Treasure fetish! Come on, tell the truth!

Don't believe Edge magazine is gutter journalism, they have always said that they really love Treasures output as can be seen in a recent retrospective on Freak Out, they break Treasures back catalog into several categories, some awesome, some inspired failures.
    I don't want to revisit this topic AGAIN, but I don't think they are any more or less "corrupt" than the bulk of grown up games mags, and they are ahead of GamesTM IMHO as well, that mag just seems to take Edges reviews and rehash the score, which Warhammer Fire Warrior, I loved that game but Edge gave it a fairly low score. Yet they give high scores to many turn based games, like Civ or C&C and I hate those things, so, when it comes to players, it's incredibly subjective.

When it comes to a dev like Treasure, some folk seem to get incredibly protective, this is unfortunate, not sure why reaction should be so agressive to the relatively low scoring of one of their games.
    I don't know, they did include Gunstar Heroes in their list of the best 100 games to play back in their 100th issue, if that makes up for anything?

Edge often make reference to how bad the Gunstar Heroes review was. I'd agree, but thats because it criticises the game for all the wrong reasons rather than the fact they've given it 6/10. Now they try and gush about how good it was at every available opportunity.

I think Josh (he's a SegaFan website guy, it's just been republished on Insomnia) makes some fair points. Alot of the flaws in the game don't bother me to the same extent they do Josh but it's refreshing to see them pointed out.

• Advertisement

Well my rant should be taken with a pince of salt :)

Gunstar Heroes is a big part of my childhood. I was always disappointed that I had gotten a Megadrive rather than a SNES but Gunstar Heroes made up for that and I played it religiously.

However I really did think Gunstar Super Heroes was poor. I don't think Treasure are infallible, Gunstar Super Heroes proves that and Freakout is a load of ****. Even the creators of Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga produced the uninspired Silpheed. However I do really look forward to their latest games because when they get it right they produce some of the greatest games ever.

I'm not going to go into Edge magazine. My main two problems with them is how arrogantly they defend the Halo 2 and 3 scores (don't mind Halo 1 since it was mind blowing at the time and everyone was carried away with the hype at the time) and the other reason is I find it a really boring read. I've stopped getting Games TM as well because i find myself being bored by them as well trying to be Edge lite. I wish there was a magazine out there like Arcade or the old future publishing magazines. There was a genuine love of games in those and a sense of fun. The only ones that come close are N-gamer which is unfortunately not multiformat and retrogamer which I can only get when I head into dublin.

Advertisement