Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB offers 9c to micro-generators

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Gagetman wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the windturbine has to be an approved type or will any one do?
    G:)
    The inverter has to be certified to EN50438. They don't care much what sort of generator you hook up to that, as long as what comes out of the inverter is within the limits of the EN standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pkmwgs

it also looks like we may need to apply for a license to sell back power from small wind generators, the same as commercial turbines. can anyone verify this. have any of you applied for payment from the esb yet, if so can you let us know of your experience.
    thanks

pkmwgs wrote: »
    it also looks like we may need to apply for a license to sell back power from small wind generators, the same as commercial turbines. can anyone verify this. have any of you applied for payment from the esb yet, if so can you let us know of your experience.
    thanks

You can apply here and there seems to be no requirement for a license. I have made an application and am waiting, but I tried to phone the microgeneration unit and was told they don't have a phone number. That doesn't sound great.... They haven't returned my call yet. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 I.K.Brunel

You can apply here and there seems to be no requirement for a license. I have made an application and am waiting, but I tried to phone the microgeneration unit and was told they don't have a phone number. That doesn't sound great.... They haven't returned my call yet. :confused:

ESB Customer Supply website has 1850 372 372 for phone enquiries on their Microgen offer.
    Were you trying to contact ESBNetworks to discuss your NC6 application?

I.K.Brunel wrote: »
    ESB Customer Supply website has 1850 372 372 for phone enquiries on their Microgen offer.
    Were you trying to contact ESBNetworks to discuss your NC6 application?
    Yes - Customer supply are nice and get back to you, but they say that the Microgen unit of Networks has no phone number available.

In fairness, I'd say this is a new venture for which they just aren't prepared, with lots of new questions because ESB network has its own standards for over-voltage and under-frequency that differs from levels accepted in other EU countries. Thus most inverters require modification for this market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 motorised

Heres a quick one. not sure it has been covered already but any help would be great. can i connect a micro gen straight to the LV network. what i mean is can i erect a micro gen and sell all the electricity generated back to the esb? I dont want to connect it to any domestic supply. would this be considered a "wind farm"( a very small one mind you!!)

motorised wrote: »
    Heres a quick one. not sure it has been covered already but any help would be great. can i connect a micro gen straight to the LV network. what i mean is can i erect a micro gen and sell all the electricity generated back to the esb? I dont want to connect it to any domestic supply. would this be considered a "wind farm"( a very small one mind you!!)

Strictly speaking, you can. However, you will have to get a meter for the premises and pay the standing charge. Also, only the first 3,000 KwHrs will receive the 19c rate - after that it falls back to 9c. Most decent turbines will be producing a lot more than 3,000Kwhrs. Also, the 19c rate falls back to 9c after 5 years.

The economics of putting up a turbine are to some extent dependent on getting 19c for some of your power, saving 16c on the power you didn't have to buy yourself, and bringing to a minumum the amount you are flogging to the ESB at the 9c tariff, though on a good wind site, it may still makes sense at the 9c rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pkmwgs

We got our import export meter installed last week, you have to fill out a letter of acceptance from the esb to go live. They told me i should know within ten working days. the meter is able to send information by modem like a mobile telephone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Is there an additional standing charge for the Import / Export meter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

pkmwgs wrote: »
    We got our import export meter installed last week, you have to fill out a letter of acceptance from the esb to go live. They told me i should know within ten working days. the meter is able to send information by modem like a mobile telephone.

All the smart meters are fitted with a GSM modem so they can send readings. Its the way forward really, although they do give trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 richlally

""ESB Customer Supply and ESB Networks will contribute 9 cents and 10 cents respectively towards this tariff. Domestic electricity users registered with ESB will receive a full tariff of 19c/kWh within limits set out above. Non-ESB customers will receive a 10c/kWh tariff for any excess electricity sold back to the grid.""

Did ye guys notice that if your not an existing ESB Customer you cannot get the 19c tariff, only 10c?? Even less economic, incentives need to be reviewed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I just thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to see how people are getting on with selling electricity back to the ESB?

Does anyone have any experience yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

richlally wrote: »
    Did ye guys notice that if your not an existing ESB Customer you cannot get the 19c tariff, only 10c?? Even less economic, incentives need to be reviewed

Why should ESB subsidize your electricity if you're not buying it from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Anyone selling into the grid using pv tech? is it viable?

(old thread, i know)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Yep, I am just waiting for my Import export meter but there has been about 2 seconds of sun in the last 3 weeks so viability is a moot point. Problem I see is the a new meter will not go backwards so currently my benefit is potentially quite good!
    Getting the equipment direct helps make it a better option.

See my other post about low usage standing charge increase from ESB.

Advertisement