Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing away paternity

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Just to note that both cases are not full proof as both vasectomies and the pill fail. I would agree with you in the case of fraud that can be proven.
    I should have been clearer there, I meant cases where the man claimed he'd had a vasectomy/woman claimed she was on the pill when neither was the case.
    Neither can the woman. Certainly she can choose going to term or termination, but both have their own risks and consequences that a man does not have to go through. You need to account for that in an equitable system.
    Going for compensation in cases where there are greater risks and consequences based purely on gender enters tricky areas. Should male manual laborers be paid more seeing as they are more likely to be lifting more?
    Whether they're thrilled about the idea or not it's still not easy for many of them them.
    WHether or not it is easy does not mean they should be compensated for it.
    You seem to be arguing against yourself there? :confused:
    How?
    1)Paternity leave is still based around something a man has some choice in.
    2)A man can never get pregnant.

Equating something put on men by societal roles is different to something a man has absolutely no control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Interesting thread. This may be partly off-topic, but it does have some bearing on the issue.
    Just out of curiosity, what are your opinions on access and/or guardianship rights where one parent (male or female) has been found guilty of serious physical abuse of the child?
    It seems the European Court of human rights believes the child has a right to access and guardianship by both parents :confused:- I'm personally of the opinion that a seriously abusive parent would do the child a great favour by staying out of their lives.
    Any other opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seanbuck

I've actually been thinking about doing this and it's horrible. Not because I want to pay less maintenance, i would pay more. I've been thinking about it because as my son grows closer to the x wifes new partner and starts to think of him as another dad it just basically makes me want to give up living. I did the best i could with my son for 10 years. too watch being changed by another guy is killing me. I never thought of myself as separate from my son and now that i have to it's easily the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. That's why I think maybe it is best to cut all ties. What do yous think, that I'm a selfish b£$star£ right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It sounds like you're in a lot of pain at the moment but cutting a 10 year old out of your life because he's forging a relationship with his mother's partner is unbelievably cruel & will hurt him. I think if signing away paternity is an option it really has to be when the kid is very young.

Trip to the docs to talk about how incredibly hard you're taking this should be top of your list before you make any decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seanbuck

Thanks... anti depressants not my thing. Talked to priest about it he was very severe with me and said the same thing you did. Yet to me cutting all ties is an idea that I can't let go of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hi seanbuck, we don't like revisiting old threads, plus if you're looking for advice etc, then the Personal Issues Forum would be the place to post. Hope things work out for you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement