Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask the Brains: What Is Sleep Paralysis?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've had loads of very real hallucinations as it were that feel, look and sound like alien abductions, I found out what it was after the first time it happened so I amn't that worried about it when I wake up proper. I've noticed it always happen when I sleep on my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭laura1408

glad i found this tread !!

always wanted to know what the hell was wrong with me
    started to feel a bit like a freak after tell a few friends and got the wtf face ..

Im glad you found the thread!!!!!!!!!!!! its pretty freaky alright....... and happens to me a lot but its not as bad now. After reading into it i realised that i need to be getting more sleep and not letting myself get overtired....... Then i have less chane of it happening again!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

glad i found this tread !!

always wanted to know what the hell was wrong with me
    started to feel a bit like a freak after tell a few friends and got the wtf face ..

ive been having sleep paralysis or so i believe after reading this tread
    every night since i was very young ..

it terrifys me ..

im in bed i cant move shadow enters room and attacks me ..
    weight on the chest ect ect
    cant move cant scream but can feel the warmth of my tears roll down my cheeks ..
    only ends when shadow leaves ..
    i really thought i was a little bit loopy tbh ..

You're not weird and there is nothing wrong with you so don't worry. It's a common occurrence. If you get it every night try some progressive muscle relaxation on a daily basis, don't do anything in your bed but sleep and try going to sleep on your side, if these things don't help then go to your GP, there are meds that can help reduce it happening. I think though what helps is to know what's going on and that usually takes the stress out of it. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

jessbeth wrote: »
    You're not weird and there is nothing wrong with you so don't worry. It's a common occurrence. If you get it every night try some progressive muscle relaxation on a daily basis, don't do anything in your bed but sleep and try going to sleep on your side, if these things don't help then go to your GP, there are meds that can help reduce it happening. I think though what helps is to know what's going on and that usually takes the stress out of it. Best of luck :)

i think gp is a good idea now ..
    i was terrifide to go befor now in case she thought i was claiming to be seeing ghosts/spirits ect..
    im very active (got 3 kids) and im in bed early every night ..
    this has being going on from a very young age ..
    the only reason ive started to look for info about it is because my 6 year old daughter is starting to claim it happening to her ..
    (ive never spoke about it in front of my kids NEVER)
    that start me thinking maybe its hereditary..
    and not all in my head .. maybe just maybe im not mad !! lol

i was terrifide to go befor now in case she thought i was claiming to be seeing ghosts/spirits ect..
    the only reason ive started to look for info about it is because my 6 year old daughter is starting to claim it happening to her ..

Your definitly not mad!!!!!!!!!!!!! and ive had it since i was about 11 i think!!! I told my dad and mam about it and they both said they had gotten it before and so has my sister, maybe it is linked but i sleep better thinking that its not ghosts that i see but simply hallucinations!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

You're definitely not mad, people who are psychotic don't worry about being mad. :-) It is hereditary as there are people in my family who get it as well. Don't worry about the GP thinking that you're mad, if she/he is any good she will know what it is straight away. Make sure you explain that it only happens around sleep and that you don't experience any of these things during normal waking hours. You're much to co-herent to be mad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

You're definitely not mad, people who are psychotic don't worry about being mad. :-) It is hereditary as there are people in my family who get it as well. Don't worry about the GP thinking that you're mad, if she/he is any good she will know what it is straight away. Make sure you explain that it only happens around sleep and that you don't experience any of these things during normal waking hours. You're much to co-herent to be mad :D

eh well i do !!
    not nearly as bad as at night but i have seen it during the day ..
    i chose to ignore it or leave the room ..
    again because im convinced its in my head ..:confused:

Could be caused by extreme stress or depression too. You have insight and know that these things are hallucinations so that is a good sign. If it happens again then I would definitely visit your GP, anxiety can cause people to be highly sensitive to every little flicker of light and sound. I'm only guessing as obviously I don't know you but there are lots of reasons why people sometimes have strange experiences. An important thing that was once said to me by a friend and I thought it was a good saying is: being weird doesn't make you crazy :)

Anyway if it happens again go see your GP and explain everything and they will put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I generally accept the scientific explanation for sleep paralysis experiences. One thing I don't understand is the psychological meme which runs through the experiences. Ie. old hags, hatmen... why do people from all cultures see these things?

i went through a phase of sleep paralysis during my late teens/early twenties, scary as hell and the first time was sheer terror. i also had some unbelievably vivid hallucinations during these episodes such as creatures walking around my bedroom and being held down by two or more beings.
    i dont believe there was anything paranormal in any of these experiences but i can understand people who take it as such. the only thing that i used to find slightly freaky was that my mother and i would experience sleep paralysis on exactly the same nights , usually about once a fortnight or so. anyone else find this??

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote: »
    I generally accept the scientific explanation for sleep paralysis experiences. One thing I don't understand is the psychological meme which runs through the experiences. Ie. old hags, hatmen... why do people from all cultures see these things?

Couldnt agree more......... it is odd that we all seem to see the same freaky figures when it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

laura1408 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more......... it is odd that we all seem to see the same freaky figures when it happens

Weird old hag for me!

laura1408 wrote: »

The reason that happens is because we will think of what scares us the most.

From a psychological perspective the first time it happens, we just sense something evil and then we go looking for information about it and hear in Ireland and the british Isles all the stories about it are about an Old Hag or some kind of devilish creature. If you're interested in UFO's then you will believe in Aliens and if you're Asian you might think it's some kind of Sumu Warrior. :D
    But it's a cultural thing, because if you remember to the first time it happened you were just probably terrified and felt some sort of malevolence (is that spelled right?) but as you soon as you got info about it, it turned out to be that... Get me?

It's like the man in the moon. If we look at the moon we can make out a face etc and other cultures see a rabbit on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

The reason that happens is because we will think of what scares us the most.

From a psychological perspective the first time it happens, we just sense something evil and then we go looking for information about it and hear in Ireland and the british Isles all the stories about it are about an Old Hag or some kind of devilish creature. If you're interested in UFO's then you will believe in Aliens and if you're Asian you might think it's some kind of Sumu Warrior. :D
    But it's a cultural thing, because if you remember to the first time it happened you were just probably terrified and felt some sort of malevolence (is that spelled right?) but as you soon as you got info about it, it turned out to be that... Get me?

It's like the man in the moon. If we look at the moon we can make out a face etc and other cultures see a rabbit on the moon.

Good point. It just feels though that there's more to it than that ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Glad i found this thread i used to get both symptoms didnt mind the head explosion thingy but the sleep paralysis is very scary cant move your body cant breath i hated it but found that forceably shaking myself would get me out of it.Cant remember if anyone or anything was in the room when this happened physcially restraining me cause i shared a room with my younger brother who had these symptoms himself at the time and he saw me once while i was in this state and i have to say that i saw him too and we both looked like we were peacefully asleep.
    The only thing that freaked me out was when it happened my brother he would talk in a very low growling bellowing voice calling my name asking me to wake him up now thats ****ing scary.:eek: WOOOOOOHAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Found this aswell apparently there is a drug you can take for it.

Treatment

Symptoms may be resolved spontaneously over time. It may be helpful to reassure the patient that this symptom is harmless. Clomipramine has been used in three patients, who experienced immediate relief from this condition

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Exploding-head-syndrome

Advertisement