Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask the Brains: What Is Sleep Paralysis?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

jessbeth wrote: »
    Yeah well that's the whole idea :D

I usually get too excited and wake up.

I've also managed to wake myself up while lucid during a dream with the head shaking thing. I remember dreaming that I was in the subway in NY and just couldn't find my train when all of a sudden I realised I was lucid and I couldn't change the scenery so I decided to wake up.

I know me too, or before you're about to wake up and you know it but you try to keep yourself in your dream. I had one where I was able to fly, it's was amazing!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    I wouldn't have been able to shake my head at all. I used to barely be able to my index finger and sometimes I'd just stay still to see what would happen!

Same here. Every time I experienced these episodes, I was not able to move one single muscle or scream. It was very distressing.

Once I felt as if somebody was dragging me out of bed by the feet and the follwing time I felt as if some sort of invisible, amorphous and sweaty thing was pressing me down onto the bed. And no, it wasn't the husband trying to get some nookie. :D

laura1408 wrote: »
    it sounded like a huge wave bashing against my skull...... not something that helps you sleep...

Yes get lucid dreams........ sometimes i think i havent slept at all!!!!!!!!!

That's mad.

Yeah I know the feeling.

Never gotten the head explosians....

I've never heard about the explosions either. That's pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭laura1408

Same here. Every time I experienced these episodes, I was not able to move one single muscle or scream. It was very distressing.

Once I felt as if somebody was dragging me out of bed by the feet and the follwing time I felt as if some sort of invisible, amorphous and sweaty thing was pressing me down onto the bed. And no, it wasn't the husband trying to get some nookie. :D

They should pass, but very scary all the same, whether they are all in our heads or actually something ghostly related!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

:pac:

Sounds like an incubus! Not sure I believe in them though but ya never know...!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

I know me too, or before you're about to wake up and you know it but you try to keep yourself in your dream. I had one where I was able to fly, it's was amazing!!! :D

Cool, I've never had that one but I did have one a few years ago that freaked me out. I remember that I climbed over a wall and into this old castle and I was complete aware of everything just thinking how cool the place was and how I'd never seen anything like it in real life. Then there was a woman down the back of the room staring at me. I remember thinking in the dream that I was lucid and why was this stranger staring at me in my dream. I got freaked out and woke up.

That's one of the most common ones. It's still all just hypnagogia, nothing to worry about. :) Although the nookie would have been better :o

Cool, I've never had that one but I did have one a few years ago that freaked me out. I remember that I climbed over a wall and into this old castle and I was complete aware of everything just thinking how cool the place was and how I'd never seen anything like it in real life. Then there was a woman down the back of the room staring at me. I remember thinking in the dream that I was lucid and why was this stranger staring at me in my dream. I got freaked out and woke up.

That's sounds freaky! Notice all the people terrorizing us are women?!! :pac:

A doctor from Harvard called Susan Clancy did an intensive study on this in relation to people who believed they were being abducted by aliens.

Here is the link about her and a little of what she has to say.

http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/09.22/11-alien.html

• Advertisement

Your right there Frost :D

I'm a gal and I don't terrorise anyone, well not intentionally anyway :o

Be afraid, be very afraid! :pac:

A doctor from Harvard called Susan Clancy did an intensive study on this in relation to people who believed they were being abducted by aliens.

Interesting Jessbeth!!!!!!!!!! Id never in a million years believe i was abducted by aliens but i can see how some people come to that conclusion

I agree with the bit where she more or less mentions people are being influenced by movies and TV - I don't really believe everyone who says they've been abducted but there are some interesting cases:

This from the 50's I think.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_and_Barney_Hill_abduction

And I swear I've seen a UFO!! I'm telling you it was unbelievable! But that's for another thread maybe.

Interesting Jessbeth!!!!!!!!!! Id never in a million years believe i was abducted by aliens but i can see how some people come to that conclusion

Same here. That never crossed my mind. Spirits? Definately yes, although I tend to be pretty skeptic.

i can be sceptic at times but behind all that i think i want there to be more then just our life on earth. Id like to think when i go theres more to it......

i can be sceptic at times but behind all that i think i want there to be more then just our life on earth. Id like to think when i go theres more to it......

It's like religion. Even if there's no God or no ghosts or whatever, there's no harm believing because, well it gives you something to believe in and can help you emotionally. And with religion to an extent, a code of ethics if you like, but anyway...I believe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I can get out of it by moving my big toe. Dont try to move your head, that will only make you panic a bit.
    Move extremeties.

I totally agree but I think some people want so badly for it to be something else that they don't ever want to here that it might be just something that happens and can be explained. :)

Somebody should start a UFO thread because I have an interesting story to tell.

• Advertisement

I totally agree but I think some people want so badly for it to be something else that they don't ever want to here that it might be just something that happens and can be explained. :)

Go on start one...I'll tell ya mine! Although it's just describing what I saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I've experienced sleep paralysis a few times. Usually when I'm overtired. Not being able to move is very very disturbing and it seems the more I try to move the more I can't move. I also experience a loud 'ringing' noise inside my head when it happens.

OK seeing as how I'm at home with the flu and I've nothing else to do, I'll start one! :D

grahamo wrote: »
    I've experienced sleep paralysis a few times. Usually when I'm overtired. Not being able to move is very very disturbing and it seems the more I try to move the more I can't move. I also experience a loud 'ringing' noise inside my head when it happens.

I've had the load ringing ones too. It usually happens when I'm waking up and my whole body shakes as well, well it seems to shake, that's the feeling.

New agers will tell you that this is a typical sign that soul is re-entering the body after astral travelling.

The scientific explaination is that it's all part of sleep paralysis.

OK seeing as how I'm at home with the flu and I've nothing else to do, I'll start one! :D

OOPs I just did. Well I can delete mine and put my story in yours.

Aww and plenty lemsip for you then ;)

OOPs I just did. Well I can delete mine and put my story in yours.

Aww and plenty lemsip for you then ;)

No don't! I Just put my story in yours and asked the mods to delete mine! :pac:

Alrighty then!

Everytime I type that phrase I imagine myself looking like the guy out of that film the mask. What was his name again? Oh yeah Jim Carrey :o

What's with everybody in Ireland coming down with the flu? I know at least 5 people who are sick at the moment.

Get better! And back on topic now... :D

What's with everybody in Ireland coming down with the flu? I know at least 5 people who are sick at the moment.

Get better! And back on topic now... :D

Haha thanks! I'm trying, but just lying here drinking water and taking benylin day and night..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tismenotyou

glad i found this tread !!

always wanted to know what the hell was wrong with me
    started to feel a bit like a freak after tell a few friends and got the wtf face ..

ive been having sleep paralysis or so i believe after reading this tread
    every night since i was very young ..

it terrifys me ..

im in bed i cant move shadow enters room and attacks me ..
    weight on the chest ect ect
    cant move cant scream but can feel the warmth of my tears roll down my cheeks ..
    only ends when shadow leaves ..
    i really thought i was a little bit loopy tbh ..

Advertisement