Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Hijacked!

Options
  • 11-01-2009 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0111/bus.html
    A Dublin Bus driver was severely assaulted and the bus he was driving hijacked before a passenger took control of the vehicle in the Liberties area last night.

The driver has been treated for broken bones in his hand and severe bruising.

A man has been arrested.

Advertisement
    John McGrane of the National Bus and Rail Union has called for action to be taken against attacks on buses and drivers.

There were about 15 passengers on board when the bus was hijacked between 9.30pm-10pm last night.

Earlier two passengers, a man and a woman, were involved in an altercation with the driver.

When he stopped to contact gardaí he was pulled from the bus and beaten.

The bus was then driven down Cork Street in south inner city before being stopped by a passenger who took control of the wheel.

Gardaí arrested the man driving the bus and he is being questioned in Kevin Street Garda Station.

The driver has since been released from hospital after being treated for two broken bones in his hand and severe bruising. He is said to be badly shaken by the incident.

Mr McGrane told RTÉ that attacks on buses have increased in frequency. He said that in parts of West Tallaght services have been curtailed due to thirty such attacks taking place.

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus said that the company is co-operating fully with gardaí in their investigations and expressed concern for the welfare of the driver.

That's a whole new level scumbagyness right there!!

Although I'm sure there are many who would like to take a swing at a bus driver!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0111/bus.html

That's a whole new level scumbagyness right there!!

Wouldn't have thought it possible to get in at him, with the plate and door etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

bet it was the 77...

the Tallagh-ban :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Maybe those knackers might have the buses run on time for a fucking change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

S.I.R wrote: »
    bet it was the 77...

the Tallagh-ban :rolleyes:

Mr McGrane told RTÉ that attacks on buses have increased in frequency. He said that in parts of West Tallaght services have been curtailed due to thirty such attacks taking place.

Must've been the 77 if it happened on Cork Street and was going to West Tallaght.

Thankfully there wasnt an accident. These idiots should should be locked up with the rest of the wild animals in the zoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Must've been the 77 if it happened on Cork Street and was going to West Tallaght.

Thankfully there wasnt an accident. These idiots should should be locked up with the rest of the wild animals in the zoo

haha no surprizes their, i took the 77 before...

3 junkies pestering me...

sick all over the place

peoples smoking on it regardless of the laws.

Brilliant time. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Probably slightly OT but i was on the 77 a few years ago and a riot kicked off. Was vicious, Knifes etc. It took a lot Gardai to stop it and people couldn't get off.

Anyway after they fecked off i was standing beside this old couple who were pale. They were tourists from Austria. They told me that the porter in there hotel told them to get a great idea of what Dublin is like was to pick a bus a get on it to the last stop. These poor feckers got the 77 to Fettercairn (never made it to Jobstown)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

haha no surprizes their, i took the 77 before...

3 junkies pestering me...

sick all over the place

peoples smoking on it regardless of the laws.

Brilliant time. :mad:

As a non-Dubliner, crikey - that sounds like a heck of a bus trip to take.

Sorry to hear that a man just doing his job of getting others home safely, was treated so badly last night.
    To be honest, it just re-enforces my view that we are not harsh enough with these scumbags IF we even get them to court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They told me that the porter in there hotel told them to get a great idea of what Dublin is like was to pick a bus a get on it to the last stop. These poor feckers got the 77 to Fettercairn (never made it to Jobstown)

Haha, that's hilarious. Stupid tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

It was The Citizen wasn't it?

That six year old must have pushed him over the edge.

I would like to add that I got the 77 for years and never really had a problem or witnessed anything major.

Just don't sit on the top deck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Biggins wrote: »
    As a non-Dubliner, crikey - that sounds like a heck of a bus trip to take.

Sorry to hear that a man just doing his job of getting others home safely, was treated so badly last night.
    To be honest, it just re-enforces my view that we are not harsh enough with these scumbags IF we even get them to court.

Cue ridiculously light sentence and your man having a great oul laugh in the pub about how he beat someone up and stole a bus.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Cue ridiculously light sentence and your man having a great oul laugh in the pub about how he beat someone up and stole a bus.

Depressingly true. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

What could someone do with a bus?

Use it as their own car and hope nobody notices?

Drive round the routes and collect the fares people pay?

Take it joyriding?

Take it joyriding?
    Go on a Summer Holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

That's Dublin for ya. I never got pestered on a bus up there but then I'm a metaller - people tend to be wary of me hahaha. And I'm hardly small either.

Once tackled a fella who'd broken into a jeep opposite the 4 Goldminesand not a single person on the street stopped to help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Take it joyriding?
    Go on a Summer Holiday.

That b**tard Cliff Richard has a lot to answer for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We can expect Live CCTV monitoring from a central database on all busses. It is starting to happen in the UK already.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/10118.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

haha no surprises their, i took the 77 before...

Not the first time its been hijacked then! & you have the cheek to come on here and brag about it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

dSTAR wrote: »
    It was The Citizen wasn't it?

That six year old must have pushed him over the edge.

Was just gonna say that we needed to get the citizen on the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I would like to add that I got the 77 for years and never really had a problem or witnessed anything major.

Me too. Got it for many years. Same for the 50 and the 65B. Was attacked only once and there was previous background to that, so it wasn't random.

To be honest, I've found the Luas (Red Line) comparatively worse whenever I've got it.

• Advertisement

Seeing as the gov' might be canceling school buses soon as another cost saving measure, maybe this thug can use the excuse in court that he wanted to ensure his brat got to school!

(http://www.herald.ie/national-news/call-to-scrap-school-buses-just-daft-tds-1598038.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Sorry , parts of Tallaght are well known to be lakes of SKUM, ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE.There are some good spots out there. Right cancel all public transport in & out of these places,let these animals sort each other out and leave the rest of the community alone. Taxis wont go into these areas , very few of them have cars unless they are stolen so the only way around for them is to walk,cycle or steal a car/bus etc .The innocent good folk of these areas have had a lot of years to get out as this hasn't happened recently.Its not the first time a bus has being robbed/stolen or hijacked . This VERMON MUST FEEL THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE COURTS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It was the 56A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

alan4cult wrote: »
    It was the 56A.

Also goes through west tallaght.

56A is a much better route through much nicer parts of Tallaght, except for a few stops around fettercairn/springfield. It would always be my first choice over the 77.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sorry , parts of Tallaght are well known to be lakes of SKUM, ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE.There are some good spots out there. Right cancel all public transport in & out of these places,let these animals sort each other out and leave the rest of the community alone. Taxis wont go into these areas , very few of them have cars unless they are stolen so the only way around for them is to walk,cycle or steal a car/bus etc .The innocent good folk of these areas have had a lot of years to get out as this hasn't happened recently.Its not the first time a bus has being robbed/stolen or hijacked . This VERMON MUST FEEL THE FULL WEIGHT OF THE COURTS:mad:
    What the hells a vermon?:confused:
    Vermont?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Vermont?

I do believe its vermin he means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Vermont?
    I think he means vermin.

I had a pet rat once. He was cute in an ugly kind of way. I used to gel his hair and style his little fringe forward for him every day. Rats, like miscreants who steal buses are often misunderstood. Sometimes they just need a little cuddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You'd never see this happen on the LUAS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You'd never see this happen on the LUAS.
    The culprits are hardly going to go joyriding throughout the city on the Luas. They would be stopped in minutes by the emergency brake or from the proceeding tram.

Advertisement