Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Racing Tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grip for €34 (20% better cornering grip, wet weather) - also on Ribble here

I think both CRC and Ribble are suffering from cut/paste syndrome.

The Michelin Pro (2,3) are ranges of tyres, comprising Race, Light and Grip models.

The Pro 3 have more grip than the Pro 2 (20%, 27%?) since they're the newer model range.

Within the ranges, the Pro Grip have more wet grip (60%?) than the Pro.

All these figures are from Michelin marketing, so who knows the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Hey guys, in case you were looking for some Michelin Pro 3 Race's...here they are back in stock! In all 8 colours! Yipee :p

I've been looking for these tyres for some time now and they are never in stock anywhere! Michelin tyres can be hard to get hold of (especially in the popular red colours!) Anyway, I emailed ProBikeKit last week and they were expecting this delivery, and so was I! :D They will sell out rapidly due to the "Request Stock Alert" feature, (email hasn't been sent out yet so be quick!)

Another trick, if you add the pair to your cart, they:D come to just over £50...you can get £5 off this order by doing the following! Click on the refer a friend on the top of the page...sent it to a secondary email address...and use the supplied code to receive the £5 discount...works out around €50 in total! (They sell for €43 each in my LBS!)

Michelin obviously send out a shipment of tyres...just got an email from CRC...Pro 3 Race back in stock!

Lumen wrote: »
    The Michelin Pro (2,3) are ranges of tyres, comprising Race, Light and Grip models.

Hey man...you seem to know a bit about these Michelin tyres! I received my pair of Red Pro 3 Race's today...ordered them from here, and the version I received was "Service Course". What does this mean, I've never heard of them before...it says it on the sidewall also!

Hey man...you seem to know a bit about these Michelin tyres! I received my pair of Red Pro 3 Race's today...ordered them from here, and the version I received was "Service Course". What does this mean, I've never heard of them before...it says it on the sidewall also!

No idea. I suspect it's just what they're calling the Pro 3 Race to give them a longer name (more words equals more grip, right?).

Apparently the Pro 2 Races were also called the "Michelin Pro2 Race Service Course Limited Edition".

FFS!

I'm waiting for a delivery of the Pro 3 Grips myself.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for a delivery of the Pro 3 Grips myself.

Ya, I'd say its just a fancy name for the standard version.
    By the way, where did you get you Pro 3 Grips and how much did they set you back? I probably should have went for this version instead! Next time :p

Ya, I'd say its just a fancy name for the standard version.
    By the way, where did you get you Pro 3 Grips and how much did they set you back? I probably should have went for this version instead! Next time :p

Er, 75.45 EUR for the pair including postage from CRC. Ouch!

never look at the price

Er, 75.45 EUR for the pair including postage from CRC. Ouch!

never look at the price

Ya, I got my pair from PBK for 49.00 EUR using a voucher! NICE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Ya, I got my pair from PBK for 49.00 EUR using a voucher! NICE :D

Does PBK charge for shipping?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Does PBK charge for shipping?

NOPE! Just remember to change your country to Ireland to see the free shipping...they are very cheap for some things, namely tyres! I usually try ChainReactionCycles, ProBikeKit and Wiggle. All are good for somethings, but I think PBK are winning on the number of orders from me so far! Too many.

P.S. If you are spending over £50 (which a pair of Pro 3 Race's are just), you can get £5 off. Just click refer a friend at the top of the page..send it to a secondary email address...and use the voucher code sent to you for the discount! Its as simple as that. ;)

• Advertisement

P.S. If you are spending over £50 (which a pair of Pro 3 Race's are just), you can get £5 off. Just click refer a friend at the top of the page..send it to a secondary email address...and use the voucher code sent to you for the discount! Its as simple as that. ;)

You are officially the master of the vouchers :p

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

NOPE! Just remember to change your country to Ireland to see the free shipping...they are very cheap for some things, namely tyres! I usually try ChainReactionCycles, ProBikeKit and Wiggle. All are good for somethings, but I think PBK are winning on the number of orders from me so far! Too many.

Just trying to order the same tyres from pro bike kit. Got the voucher code alright - But it's still showing up that I'm going to be charged 50.39GBP. I think the "Orders over £50" thing is calculated on the ex vat price, which comes to £43.82... did the price drop since you bought them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Just trying to order the same tyres from pro bike kit. Got the voucher code alright - But it's still showing up that I'm going to be charged 50.39GBP. I think the "Orders over £50" thing is calculated on the ex vat price, which comes to £43.82... did the price drop since you bought them?

Never mind - I ordered a couple more small things to bring the order value over £50... SOMEONE TAKE THIS CREDIT CARD OFF ME..:eek:

Never mind - I ordered a couple more small things to bring the order value over £50... SOMEONE TAKE THIS CREDIT CARD OFF ME..:eek:

Oh well.. i started looking for cleaning stuff and i ended with a 250euro bill.. again.. oh fark..

did the price drop since you bought them?

Yes, I got them at the price you got them for...but had to add bar tapes to make up the difference!

When I posted this, the price went up marginally and totalled just over £50

Either way, it works out around €49 for the pair...don't worry, I did my calculations! ;)

"The new Grand Prix marks the trend toward wider tires in performance cycling. Wider tires roll easier, yield higher mileage and offer more comfort and grip, therefore the new Grand Prix profile is 24mm."

Marketing: Wide is the new narrow. Make them wider.
    Product development: No.
    Marketing: Look, we need something for our press release.
    Product development: OK, 1mm, but that's it. Come back in 2010 for another mm.

Ballyhoura have you put the Michelin on? How do they feel on the wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

"The new Grand Prix marks the trend toward wider tires in performance cycling. Wider tires roll easier, yield higher mileage and offer more comfort and grip, therefore the new Grand Prix profile is 24mm."

Marketing: Wide is the new narrow. Make them wider.
    Product development: No.
    Marketing: Look, we need something for our press release.
    Product development: OK, 1mm, but that's it. Come back in 2010 for another mm.

Any disadvantages using wider tyres in performance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any disadvantages using wider tyres in performance ?
    They are heavier and a bit less aero.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    They are heavier and a bit less aero.

More rolling resistance too, but you do get negative returns from going too narrow.

el tonto wrote: »
    More rolling resistance too, but you do get negative returns from going too narrow.
    That's not actually the case. Continental have even said themselves they are going wider because it decreases rolling resistance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's not actually the case. Continental have even said themselves they are going wider because it decreases rolling resistance.

Aha, I'd actually seen that piece before and then forgotten about it. They do remark though that higher pressures (which is what you get with narrower tyres) do yield significant improvements in rolling resistance as well as providing the aero advantage. So I'm kind of half right... ish.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Ballyhoura have you put the Michelin on? How do they feel on the wet?

Yes, I put them on today and went out for a spin. I am going to use my cheaper vittoria's for the winter training and keep the michelin's for better summer months! Anyway...I just wanted to get a brief idea of what they were like. I went hill climbing on them, on a day which started from drizzle to heavy rain and miserable darkness. As you can imagine, I didn't push them to the limits whihout getting used to them...however, I did have a bad fall on the descent (not the tyres fault at all!). It was howling at the top..and it was dark (bit too optimistic time wise). In one steep section, there was an archway of trees which made it pitch-black (didn't have time to take off the glasses) and I hit the biggeset pothole/rock ever and went tubling down! Luckily, I ended up in the ditch uninjured...just dazed and badly grazed! Afterwards I was very grateful for my helmet...I had taken two blows which the helmet took. Bike is good too! :D

Anyway, sorry this isn't a good answer to your question. I think they would be grand for the wet (maybe the Pro 3 Grip would be better or some other wet specific tyre)

I forgot to ask about the helmet...is it necessary to relpace a helmet after it has taken a bang? It doesn't seem cracked...just slightly dented in places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I forgot to ask about the helmet...is it necessary to relpace a helmet after it has taken a bang? It doesn't seem cracked...just slightly dented in places!

I think it's always advisable to replace it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

The C2 range from HED is going down the wide route as well, with a standard 23mm tyre though, thats why I'm interested in a set of Ardennes or even Jet 4s .... if only the piggy bank would recover from Christmas :

http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/ardennes_c2.asp

http://www.hedcycling.com/wheels/jet4.asp

Murph

Murph100 wrote: »
    The C2 range from HED is going down the wide route as well

Interesting, I didn't realise they were doing wide rims on a whole range.

Bastogne or Kermesse might be a bit more affordable. Problem is finding anywhere that sells them.

Whilst the bikeradar review had the Ardennes at £500, they are on sale for considerably more.

I fancy a powertap hubbed Ardennes, but don't know whether that makes any sense - can one buy a factory built wheel like the Ardennes with powertap hubs? Are the rims available separately? ISTR also getting the impression that the hub width or something is incompatible.

Yeah they have really jumped up in price in that past few weeks, on the HED UK site ( http://www.hedwheels.com/productlist.kmod?ProductTypeId=1&contentid=18&chapterid=3&langid=1) they are now £699 so www.700c.co.uk is £50 cheaper.

Call the guys either in the States or in the UK regarding the power tap option, they are really helpful and should be able to answer all your questions.

Murph

Murph100 wrote: »
    Yeah they have really jumped up in price in that past few weeks
    That's what I have been saying with the fall in sterling, all the UK prices are going to go up! If you see anything cheap you like on a UK site, buy it NOW, don't think about it too much :D

• Advertisement

Aye I hear ya ! You did bloody amazing with that Archon, what a sweet deal ! BTW how are you finding those Mavics ?

Murph

Advertisement