Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Racing Tyres

Options
  • 10-01-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking at getting a good set of 700x23 racing tyres. I'm going to use them as an all-round tyre, so lightweight and low resistance for racing, and grip durability and puncture protection for training! Red colour scheme would be nice too - only messin!! Haha :p I was wondering what ye would reccomend a good tyre that would fit me needs!
    I had been looking at the following:
    • Michelin Pro3 Race 200g for €25 on CRC (Usually €30-€40) €43 in LBS
    • Continental GP4000S 205g (Black Chili - Racing) for €24 on PBK (Usually €30-€40) €43 in LBS
    • Continental Ultra Gator Skin 220g (Training) for €17 on PBK (Usually €25-€35)
    • Continental Attack/Force (Pair: Front22/Back24, 190g+210g ) on PBK for €45, €22.50 each (Usually around €60, €30 each)
    • Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 210g for €25 on Wiggle (Using vouchers, usually worth €35) Same price as lower model Diamante!
    The prices shown are the cheapest I could find (I tried ChainReactionCycles, Wiggle and ProBikeKit). All have free shipping to Ireland and are usually the cheapest place to buy bike accessories. I did notice the PBK seem to have excellent value on their tyres, especially the Continental ones which were nearly €10 cheaper for each tyre! Anyway, let me know what you think! Cheers ;)

P.S. How would these 3 brands compare? Michelin Pro3 are €43 in my LBS, but I heard they cut easily! I have cheap Vittoria Rubino Pro's at the moment, grand but not too impressed! Continental seems to be a good name too? Theys say GP4000 is a racing tyre and the Gator Skin a training tyre! Any help would be great, thanks in advance! :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

All are equally good really.. have used the Michelins in he past, and currently have the GP4000's on both my road bike and fixie. New fixie is having gator skins (but really they're best for commuting), and the road bike with have the Vittoria's on when the conti's wear out!

I know that doesn't help, but basically, all the tyres listed are good and will do what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

All pretty good imo, i use the conti gp4000 all year round and hardly ever get a puncture. I use the vittoria's for racing_ supposdly there not as puncture resistant as the conti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Conti Ultra Gatorskins at 17GBP from Wiggle ... 34GBP for 2 ... and 29GBP with the voucher.

Non folding ... but hey ... its going on the bike ... not in a saddle bag

On a side note ... I thought PBK charged 8 GBP for shipping .... this is from their website

EU Orders

Orders to countries within the EU, Switzerland, Austria and Scandinavia, will be charged £8 for delivery (V.A.T is not deductable for EU countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I thought PBK charged 8 GBP for shipping

No, I've bought to much stuff from them to know that its free! Just enter your country as Ireland at the top of the page, and add something to your basket = no shipping charge!

When you do this, it also comes up on the home page: "FREE SHIPPING TO IRELAND"...see attatched picture!

They seems to have good prices on some things, not on others! I usually check out these 3 sites when looking to buy something, and obviously buy from the cheapest! No one is better than the other, all have been the best price for some things! :D Other than that, I might give eBay a quick glance!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Consider Michelin Pro Grip also, harder to find but 60% more grip in the wet than the Race according to Michelin.

And I want to know whether they're any good.

Probably wear out quick though.

GP4000s are known for being very sticky too.

I've found Gatorskins a bit of a PITA to change, very tight on the rim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Some interesting opinions from a bike shop owner / cyclist. He rates the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX very highly and like Lumen recommends the Pro Race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Diarmuid wrote: »
    He rates the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX very highly and like Lumen recommends the Pro Race too.

Actually I recommended the Pro Grip, out of pure ignorant curiosity. Interesting that he rates the Continental GP 4000 as "Worst Tire in the Rain".

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I love the conti's too. The GP4000S. Usually get them from Probike kit for £21, but they are out of stock at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Some interesting opinions from a bike shop owner / cyclist. He rates the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX very highly and like Lumen recommends the Pro Race too.

Has anyone got any more information on choosing tyre pressure? I had always thought for road cycling you pumped the tyre up as high as it allowed but the article seems to suggest otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

hey OP can you post the link to the GP4000S on PBK? (can't see the ones you are referring to)
    I was about to buy a set in Cycological yesterday - 45 Euro each!

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Ryaner wrote: »
    Has anyone got any more information on choosing tyre pressure? I had always thought for road cycling you pumped the tyre up as high as it allowed but the article seems to suggest otherwise.

The bearded man has the answer to everything ...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

When you're buying tyres from CRC or Wiggle, are the prices for one tyre or for pairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Tau wrote: »
    When you're buying tyres from CRC or Wiggle, are the prices for one tyre or for pairs?

One tyre.

Ok, its down to the Michelin Pro 3 Race's and the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's. Both come in red which suits my bike brilliantly! :D

What's the story with tyre widths, my bike came with stock 25mm, I switched them to the more popular 23's and now I came across a set of 20's for a good price here, thats €10 cheaper (each tyre) than the 23mm version on the same website! Take into account that I weigh only 50kilos/8stone!

One last question, can you see any difference between the standard Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX's and the CSC Version (apart from the colour and that they come as a pair, I mean performance wise!)

Pro 3 Race's will cost €50 for a pair
    Vittoria Evo's will cost €48 for a pair
    CSC Vitoria's will cost €52 for a pair

There's none of those 20mm in stock -but they should fit fine anyway. Also, there's no difference between the CSC and non-CSC ones -just a bit of branding!

I noticed going from 25 to 23mm tyre width that there was some loss of comfort ... assuming that this is going to be bigger when you go down to 2omm.

Also ... one benefit of the 25mm is that if you puncture ... you only have to get it back upto 100psi .. which is much easier than getting a 20mm upto .... guessing here ... 130psi ... unless ofcourse you are using CO2 cartridges.

23mm were slightly lighter than 25mm for me ... but I didn't notice any speed loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

would not bother with 20mm tyres on irish roads

Was just looking at the Michel Pro 3 Races there on CRC and came across a few different version!

• Standard for €26 (200g standard) - also on Ribble here
    • Grip for €34 (20% better cornering grip, wet weather) - also on Ribble here
    • Light for €34 (Lightweight 180g)

I came across a service course version also, but I think that it is just another name for the light (well according to Ribble here anyway). Here is what Michelin had to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Took advice from folks here on the Conti Gatorskins.
    Two days on the bike - 1st puncture.

Unimpressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

ROK ON wrote: »
    Took advice from folks here on the Conti Gatorskins.
    Two days on the bike - 1st puncture.

Unimpressed.

Well I have 2000km on them and I haven't had any punctures. And I've been on some pretty bad roads.

No tire will be completely pucture proof, just puncture resistance. Puncture resistance will be helped by inflating to the correct psi. Rolling over the wrong stuff (nails or really sharp objects) will puncture any tire.

• Advertisement

ROK ON wrote: »
    Took advice from folks here on the Conti Gatorskins

Do you mind me asking where u got them and how much? I'm getting the Red Michelin Pro 3 Race's as soon as they are back in stock, keeping the Vittoria Rubino Pro's for winter training!

Do you mind me asking where u got them and how much? I'm getting the Red Michelin Pro 3 Race's as soon as they are back in stock, keeping the Vittoria Rubino Pro's for winter training!

I brought Gatorskins from Wiggle t'other day, and was 28sterling the pair

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gatorskins are more training tyres than racing tyres.

I brought Gatorskins from Wiggle t'other day, and was 28sterling the pair

Just checked it there...15.70 each! :eek: Thats good value!

Another stupid question from me...which trainer tyre would you get? Tacx one is too expensive at €28!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

=
    Another stupid question from me...which trainer tyre would you get?
    turbo trainer? Any old one you have at home

turbo trainer? Any old one you have at home

Yes I do and thats what I use at the moment! However it is really terrible when I decide to take the bike out (crap & ugly tyre). Rather than change tyre every time, I have decided to get a spare wheel and leave this trainer tyre on it at all times. Then all I have to do is drop the bike into the trainer and its already all set up for me! They say they run quieter also, which is a huge benefit!

Hopefully I'll manage to find someone with an old wheel lying around in their shed! All I need is a Shimano compatible clincher (700c) and relatively straight! Performance doesn't matter at all, so I should be able to pick up an old one somewhere (maybe even in my LBS if he's nice! :D) Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just get a spare wheel then and put an old tyre on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

is PBK perfornamce bike in the states?

me@ucd wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »

ProBikeKit in the UK...free shipping to Ireland

Advertisement