Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (40 Games) - PS3 / Xbox 360 - - €32.49 [Play.com]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

www.thesmartass.info/sega

FANTASTIC SITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Fnz wrote: »
    Nonsense, you're advocating less features over more, even though more (online co-op, leaderboards, etc.) shouldn't detract from your own playing experience. You can't honestly say that you are pleased they did not also include online co-op in Streets of Rage.

Nonsense is probably a bit harsh. Saying these games are not good because they don't have the features of modern games is like saying a 1966 Mustang is Crap because it doesn't have power steering and a cd player like a Kia Picanto does.

This package is aimed at the retro gamer. From my own experience with this type of product in the past, on-line bells and whistles (while they would be of course welcome if they existed) are secondary to nostalgic experience when it comes to purchasing decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nonsense, you're advocating less features over more, even though more (online co-op, leaderboards, etc.) shouldn't detract from your own playing experience. You can't honestly say that you are pleased they did not also include online co-op in Streets of Rage.

I'm very pleased they didn't tack on an online co-op, as Streets Of Rage is meant to be played co-op with someone in the same room as you not half way across the world. It would not be the same at all if it was an online thing.

As one poster pointed out, this is a collection for the retro connoseuir to enjoy the games "as they were". If you want snazzy leaderboards or online fap fests then you'll have to look elsewhere. This is pure retro candy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Fnz wrote:
    Saying these games are not good because they don't have the features of modern games is like saying a 1966 Mustang is Crap because it doesn't have power steering and a cd player like a Kia Picanto does.
    What? In my response to DarkJager, I said nothing about the quality of the collection. I thought my post was worded carefully enough to avoid giving that impression. :confused:
    This package is aimed at the retro gamer. From my own experience with this type of product in the past, on-line bells and whistles (while they would be of course welcome if they existed) are secondary to nostalgic experience when it comes to purchasing decisions.
    I don't disagree with that. :)

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm very pleased they didn't tack on an online co-op, as Streets Of Rage is meant to be played co-op with someone in the same room as you not half way across the world. It would not be the same at all if it was an online thing.

As one poster pointed out, this is a collection for the retro connoseuir to enjoy the games "as they were". If you want snazzy leaderboards or online fap fests then you'll have to look elsewhere. This is pure retro candy.

Nobody likes when things are "tacked-on"... and even your use of "snazzy leaderboards or online fap fests" makes me not want to get into your impossible argument.

I'll just point to the highlighted words ("shouldn't detract" and especially "also") in my previous post and ask you to read what I actually said instead of assuming that I'm coming at this as some sort of retro player-hater. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

What? In my response to DarkJager, I said nothing about the quality of the collection. I thought my post was worded carefully enough to avoid giving that impression. :confused:

DJ said that IHO, this type of game didnt require any online additions and was ok as it was.
    You said this was "nonsense", as more would be better than less.
    I said "nonsense" was possibly a bit harsh, as the game was aimed at people who weren't necessarily looking for online add-ons, whether they would have been worthy ones or not.

You were a little selective on the editing of the quotes, in fairness. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bethrifty

BangCD doing this for 31.70!!

DJ said that IHO, this type of game didnt require any online additions and was ok as it was.
    You said this was "nonsense", as more would be better than less.
    I said "nonsense" was possibly a bit harsh, as the game was aimed at people who weren't necessarily looking for online add-ons, whether they would have been worthy ones or not.

You were a little selective on the editing of the quotes, in fairness. :)

Only highlighted a few key words I felt people were overlooking. Unless you're referring to something else. :confused:

I know the online features are not, in any way, "needed". That is irrelevant, and is not why I cried "nonsense". :D

It is nonsense to glibly dismiss useful online features with the non-sequitur: "I'm happier to see them in their original forms than being loaded up with tacked on crap to appeal to the "kids"".

It's an odd response to someone (jayteecork) mentioning the features: 'online multiplayer' and 'leaderboards'. I also wouldn't consider these to be "stupid online features".

I reckon it's safe to say that the best way to experience the multiplayer mode on games such a Streets of Rage is when it's done locally. However, an online multiplayer option does has value and certainly won't cheapen the experience for those who don't use it. Maybe, for example, I don't get to see the person I used to play these games with growing up in person because he lives miles away - wouldn't it be nice to have the online option?

as for online leaderboards, why not? If it's a high-score driven game then it could add to the challenge and extend the life of a game. Seems like DJ doesn't like the annoying online culture revolving around gamerscores and has decided to tar the useful online features with the same brush.

I'm tired now and feel we're going around in circles. Hope my response was cogent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Or use TheHut.com for €22.75! ;)

huty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Now €19.49 for the Xbox 360 at Play.com..

The PS3 version is a shocking €86!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just getting the achievements on this, not really playing the game properlt at all, probably cause most of the game suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

basquille wrote: »
    The PS3 version is a shocking €86!

That's the playtrade price. Play don't stock it anymore.

Advertisement