Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kitty_dillon1@h

Hi Guys
    I stopped smoking on the 8th April with Champix,didn't smoke any for the first 3 months and didn't miss them,then when out drinking i started having the odd cig,last week i went and bought some,so disappointed,have more tablets so im going to stop again in the next few days,it's just so hard when out drinking and loads of my friends are smoking around me,but i do really want to give them up.I felt great when i was off them.I'm afraid now i won't succeed this time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 speedscot

Just want to say well done to everyone stopping smoking. I quit a year past June using Zyban (in the UK). I think it works in a similar way to Champix. I had got to an age where I had smoked for more years of my life than I hadn't. Plus with two young kids the negative affect on them was becoming more obvious. It was so easy to quit (I'd tried so often on willpower, patches etc and failed). Even last week when I was out drinking a cousin offered me a cig at the pub and I gave in to the temptation, but I felt totally ill afterwards and for the rest of the evening. Definitey NOT tempted to start again!

I have even got to the stage now I can walk past someone else smoking on the street and barely notice their smoke. It's well worth giving up, you really get your life back so good on yous all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi Guys
    I stopped smoking on the 8th April with Champix,didn't smoke any for the first 3 months and didn't miss them,then when out drinking i started having the odd cig,last week i went and bought some,so disappointed,have more tablets so im going to stop again in the next few days,it's just so hard when out drinking and loads of my friends are smoking around me,but i do really want to give them up.I felt great when i was off them.I'm afraid now i won't succeed this time :(

One step back, two steps forward Kitty. A word of advice that I will give you is...

There is no such thing as the odd cig. The odd cig WILL lead back to where you don't want to go. Don't be tempted. If you feel the temptation is too much, say in the pub, then leave the pub for a few minutes. Yes, VERY easy for me to say.

I like my drink. I usually bring uncle Jack with me everywhere. However, for the moment, I don't put myself in situations that involve drinking. For the past few months I have ALWAYS been the designated driver by choice. It's only now, roughly two months later, that I feel confident enough to go to the pub. However, the fear of smoking is still with me.

YOU have to be strong.
    YOU have to be strong also when you're drunk, which is not very easy.
    YOU have to have the will power to either say no to smoking while drunk OR leave the area where the temptation is.

Best of luck, Kitty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I feel that this may be where I fall down aswell.So Ive decided to give up the alcohol for a month or two until Im confident enough that I can drink without having a smoke.
    So this weekend Im going to get hammered and smoke my lungs out since my quitting day is Saturday week :)

RangeR wrote: »
    One step back, two steps forward Kitty. A word of advice that I will give you is...

There is no such thing as the odd cig. The odd cig WILL lead back to where you don't want to go. Don't be tempted. If you feel the temptation is too much, say in the pub, then leave the pub for a few minutes. Yes, VERY easy for me to say.

I like my drink. I usually bring uncle Jack with me everywhere. However, for the moment, I don't put myself in situations that involve drinking. For the past few months I have ALWAYS been the designated driver by choice. It's only now, roughly two months later, that I feel confident enough to go to the pub. However, the fear of smoking is still with me.

YOU have to be strong.
    YOU have to be strong also when you're drunk, which is not very easy.
    YOU have to have the will power to either say no to smoking while drunk OR leave the area where the temptation is.

Best of luck, Kitty.

Thanks RangeR
    Yep there definitely is no such thing as the odd cig!and i knew that the first night i said "ah sure i'll just have the one". But I really want to stop again so i'll learn from this slip up and hope to god i don't make the same mistakes again!!! I actually felt great in the months i was off them and my bank balance was alot healthier too.
    So Round 2 here I go :D

• Advertisement

Today is a bad day...

Today is a bad day...

you'll be fine RangeR,drink loads of water,go for a walk,hang in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

To repeat an old saying:

"Get right up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!"

Chantix/Champix even says if you slip that's OK just don't stop taking the medication.

Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones who totally lost his desire for nicotine even after over 50 years of smoking. I even pushed the envelope my first week and had my morning coffee and my wiskey at night and still didn't light up. I mainly had to overcome the "HABIT" that they go hand in hand!

Stay tough. You can do it. I know enough Irishman even here in the States to know that you're a stubborn lot and that if you make your mind up you can do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Im on day 8 and still smoking :( Dont think they are really working for me, right now I just feel sick and tired.

Gonna keep at it tho cause i have cut down I think.

ladd19 wrote: »
    Im on day 8 and still smoking :( Dont think they are really working for me, right now I just feel sick and tired.

Gonna keep at it tho cause i have cut down I think.

You have the wrong frame of mind. Champix aren't a wonder drug. You still need a certain amount of will power and definite willingness to give up. Are you ready yet? If not, you don't stand a chance. Sorry to be blunt

However, I was still smoking up until about day 10, then to out two a day up until about day 20, then totally off.

• Advertisement

You have the wrong frame of mind. Champix aren't a wonder drug. You still need a certain amount of will power and definite willingness to give up. Are you ready yet? If not, you don't stand a chance. Sorry to be blunt

However, I was still smoking up until about day 10, then to out two a day up until about day 20, then totally off.

I know its not a wonder drug, Im just having a bad day. I still have the motivation to give up tho.

DonnieL wrote: »
    To repeat an old saying:

"Get right up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!"

Chantix/Champix even says if you slip that's OK just don't stop taking the medication.

Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones who totally lost his desire for nicotine even after over 50 years of smoking. I even pushed the envelope my first week and had my morning coffee and my wiskey at night and still didn't light up. I mainly had to overcome the "HABIT" that they go hand in hand!

Stay tough. You can do it. I know enough Irishman even here in the States to know that you're a stubborn lot and that if you make your mind up you can do anything!

Dead right Donniel!!I must apply some of my stubbornness (and i've been known to have a lot!) to gving up smoking!!:D

I quit my addiction today wooooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I was just so down over not being able to stop myself from lighting up but it hit me last night that I was the only one who could make myself light up and no one else not even the nicotine devil himself that lives in all smokers could make me light a cig if i really didnt want to.

Well Im already feeling so positive about it. The cravings are grand especially with Champix so its def working for me when only yesterday I thought it wasn't working. As RangeR said to me in an above post you gotta be in the frame of mind to give up and boy was he right.

:):):)

Wow, that was a big turnaround :) Good luck.

Today is a good day.

ladd19 wrote: »
    I quit my addiction today wooooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Yesterday I was just so down over not being able to stop myself from lighting up but it hit me last night that I was the only one who could make myself light up and no one else not even the nicotine devil himself that lives in all smokers could make me light a cig if i really didnt want to.

Well Im already feeling so positive about it. The cravings are grand especially with Champix so its def working for me when only yesterday I thought it wasn't working. As RangeR said to me in an above post you gotta be in the frame of mind to give up and boy was he right.

well done ladd19!!i started takin champix again this morning so will smoke for next few days and then im off!!didn't take long for the cigs to start tasting horrible last time for me so hopefully will be the same this time.im looking forward to having no cravings or longings for cigs again!!

well done ladd19!!i started takin champix again this morning so will smoke for next few days and then im off!!didn't take long for the cigs to start tasting horrible last time for me so hopefully will be the same this time.im looking forward to having no cravings or longings for cigs again!!

You go Kitty!! :D Im sure ya'll have kicked the addiction within no time! Keep us updated sure :)

Today was my first day in 12 years or so that I have not had one cig! Im so proud he he

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just thought I'd check back here. I took Champix 18th of Feb 2008. Had my last cig about the 3rd of March that was it.
    I haven't had 1 single cig since then.

It really does work. Sure it made me sooooo sick but it worked. I couldn't face a cig cause I'd know I'd have to go through taking that drug again.

If I could give up anybody can.

(35+ cigs per day, wake up at 4am for a quick 1, no flights further than 2 hrs away because I would be liable to kill someone no matter how many Valium I chewed!)

Even now when I meet people I haven't seen in a while they can't believe 'I' gave up. I think people knew me as a smoker before they knew anything else about me.

If you think you wouldn't be able to give up honestly try Champix, you won't regret it.

Sorry Gang, I've been out of the loop for a while. I went in for a CT Scan on the 5th of August and they found a blood clot in my lung and immediately sent me to emergency. I just got out of the Hospital.:( Now I have to give myself injections of a blood thinner from 6 mos. to a year.:mad: And yes, it is a result of smoking all those years.:rolleyes: I'm just glad they caught it before it moved any further or other clots appeared.:)

It was gratifying to see all the positive input when I logged back in this morning. Looks like everyone is doing great! Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pinnyoshea

Hey Donnie thought id pop in to see how you are doing. great to see you are still fighting the good fight. Really sorry to hear about the blood clot. Good job they found it in time. Friend of mine collapsed from one before xmas. He did his 6 months of blood thinners and said not being allowed alcohol almost killed him :D. He is fit as a fiddle now again tho with no repurcussions.

Im still smoke free and delighted. Doing a lot of athletics these days. Competed in a couple of 8k road races over the summer and am training for a half marathon in the late autmumn. Really loving being fit again.

Pinnyoshea! That's great news! Glad to hear that you're doing so well! You're an inspiration to all the future quiters joining the thread!! :D

And thank you for the information on your friend! That's very encouraging and I appreciate it.;)

Cheers to you! And keep up the great work of quitting AND winning!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quick update.Im on day 9 now-Still smoking but its just going through the motions.No cravings at all--even went for about 6/7 hours yesterday without having one just because I was busy.As soon as I stopped working I had to light up :(:(

But its good to see that theyre doing their job.Quitting day is Saturday but I`ll probably wait until Sunday since Im off to a wedding on Saturday night and it might not be a good idea to quit that day but I do think Im going to be smoke free at last after trying everything in the past.

I used Zyban before and was off them for 2.5 years(god knows why I ever went back on the things)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

DonnieL I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, it must have been a shock, thank God you're ok.
    I've come back with determination to go back on the champix this time. I was no where near ready to start the last few months but now I'm going back on the drug and giving it the biggest shot I can.
    I've been away on holidays and short trips over the past while but am now ready to knuckle down and get of the dastardly fags for good.
    My older sister gave us all a fright 2 weeks ago, she had a heart attack. It was really sudden with no warning, she is ok now, they did find a tiny blockage in one of the branches off an artery but have since removed it and she is recovering. She is only 44 years old. All I could think of at the time was her 3 kids faces looking up and asking where's my Mommy? Someone somewhere was taking care of her though and she made it through. It has been a big eye opener and now I simply cannot remain a smoker.
    The examinations showed that her heart is wired the oposite way to normal meaning the right side is doing all the work which needs to be monitored so the rest of us siblings now need to be checked out to make sure were ok. I know all the other reasons for not smoking but this one has to be the clincher!
    So, i'm looking forward to being free of the weed once more, I loved my 2 months off them earlier in the year. Good to see the thread is fighting fit all this time. I'll be glad of the support. :)

Poutbutton! It's sooooooooo GREAT to hear from you again!:D I know exactly where you're coming from! My not having to go in for bi-weekly phlebotomies was one of the things that help kept me off the smokes. Now with the injections of blood thinners every twelve hours, I'm now off the Whiskey too!:eek::cool:

Yes, our thread has grown substantially with some success stories as well which is really gratifying.

Well my Dear keep us posted on your progress and the best to you and your whole family. That indeed WAS a wake-up call!!

Hi Hellrazer, it sounds like you're doing fine. Pace yourself as you're doing and don't rush yourself. It's sounds like you're determined to make it work and you did once before. This time it should be even easier! Best of luck to ya!!;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Hi everyone, I have been thinking about giving up for the last 6 months now, after about 18 years of smoking (since I was 15) and had never heard of Champix till now, but after reading lots of pages on this thread and seeing how well everyone has done, i'm gonna make a doctors appointment and get myself a prescription. I reckon I should be on them by Monday and will keep you updated. Hopefully there is someone reading this who has just started Champix so we can set a date to be rid of the smokes !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Update: I have rang the doctors and have an appointment for tomorrow!!!

GREAT work Ladd!!!!!!!! Keep up the good fight!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Just popping in. Donniel so sorry to hear of your illness and great to hear you are recovered. Its a shame if you have to quit the whisky as well, a man has got to have some vice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Your advice on this forum is just great for all the newbies and anyone else finding goin rough.
    Well I am quit 11 weeks and can't believe it. Champix has been wonderful for me with just minor side effects. The first 3 days are the roughest and I think it really takes up to 3 wk, after that it gets so much easier. I am now in process of cutting down and goin on to 1 mg a day. I will take it down then to .5 a day . After smoking 35 yrs + I'm goin to do it slowly and am just a little afraid that this has all been too easy - :D. For anyone starting Champix keep with it. Some days may be difficult, just keep goin - the next day will be easier. Drink water , chew on sugar free sweets, eat mandarin oranges, put salt on your tongue if you get a bad crave. You will be so chuffed with yourself when you quit smoking.

Welcome Aboard Deisenaut! There are a couple of people who just started. It's great to compare notes! That's what Poutbutton and I did way back in January. I think we were a couple of the first to work on this thread. It really helps to communicate your successes AND your failures.

Hey Tip, Great to hear from you and thanks for the well wishes!! And a big thanks for the POSITIVE Post!! We have a few "newbies" who will definetly benefit by your input! Best of luck to ya! And keep up the posts!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Hey guys nice to know there's new people about to start the champix along side me! I had 2 weeks supply left in a pack from quitting earlier in the year and I just cant find them, I think the last pack I never bought on my prescription may be out of date, like it's over 6 months since I went to the docs the first time so maybe I'll have to go and ask for a starter script all over again...oh well small price to pay if it means I'll be on day 1 off them in just over a week woohoo! :D

Advertisement