Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

Hi Everybody,

Great thread!! I took champix almost 2 years ago for only 4 weeks as they were making me nauseated& I felt I was cured from my nicotene addiction :p & so I ended up not smoking for 1 1/2 months! but went back on them :mad: & here i am 2 years later :D!! I really do think champix are a wonder drug & last nite I decided enuff is enuff and I went and got a new prescription today & will begin taking them 2mar & Plan to give up on day 8..... & Continue the course for the 4 months or what ever! I realllllllllllly want to give up but I am completely addicted & Im afriad of failing again.... The doctor gave me stemitil to help with feelin sick! I cant wait to be smoke-free!! I am 23 and have smoked for 8 years approx 20 per day the last few years.... does anybody know if after stoppin champix is it much more desirable to smoke? Also does any one know how long phsical withdrawals last for? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi Nevevix and Welcome to the "Thread"! To answer some of your questions, firstly I will say, everyone is different and do have different reactions to the medication. I personally never experienced the nausea or other side effects other than a few dreams. (that were good by the way) Also, and I've mentioned this before, don't take on an emtpy stomach and drink a lot of water.

I really did not experience any withdrawls at all, in fact by my 3rd day I felt a significant change in wanting to light up. I only did because I could.

By my 8th day I quit and haven't had a smoke since and to this day can't even picture myself smoking again.

I don't know if you've read through the whole thread but I smoked for over 50 years! Yeah! Yeah! I'm an ole fart! But, hey! hey! a Non-Smoking ole fart!:D By the way my quit date was January 12th, 2009 and I've been off the Chantix/Champix for a few months now.

I had just mentioned to my cousin when we were out to dinner last night and had a few drinks, that I couldn't even imagine my self smoking again after watching some people standing outside and smoking.

Good luck and keep us posted. I normally check into to this thread daily just to check to see how everyone is doing.;)

Hi DonnieL

Thank You very much for all your helpful information!
    WOW, 50 years and then to give up is amazing :D well done!! I have no excuses so. I started the pack today & only read your post now! I didnt take it with much water, so a while later I was real nauseated so I took a stemitil, so from 2mar Ill remember to take it with food & lotsa water! Ill keep you posted on my progress..... hopefully smoke-free progress:D :D

Hello again Nevevix,

Good for you! Yeah Ginger is also good for calming nausea. But I think if you keep taking your Champix after eating and following up with a lot of water it will help a great deal. Hang tough! And Good Luck!!;):D

Hi again DonnieL, Thanks a million for ur reply!! I will try the Ginger aswell:) Ill keep you posted so I will! Thanks for all the supportv:D:D Take care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

one week down rest of my life to go, smoke free! Happy days, cant recommend this enough to anyone who's on the fence.

gpjordanf1, Great News! Keep it up, you won't be sorry! I'm so bummed that they didn't come out with Chantix/Champix years ago! I just wished it worked the positive for EVERYONE! But oh so thankful that it did at least work for many!!:D

:)Hi Everybody :-)

Well ive been on champix now 7 days, and I have cut down considerably on the cigs! they just dont taste right:D The only thing is I finding myself wanting to enjoy a cigarette even tho I do want to give up! I find im constantly thinkin of them... I usually smoke 20 a day and Im down to 4/5 now and tomorrow is my quit day! I find myself quite irritable & I dont want that.... I think it is nicotene withdrawals coz I have cut down so much,.. DOes any one know how long the cravings last for when you give up? and any methods that work to distract yourself? Thanks ;);)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Starting tomorrow or Thursday on Champix--wish me luck.Prescriptions in my wallet and Im just waiting to get paid so that I can pay for them.

I have used Zyban in the past and managed to stay off them for 3 years but ended back on them for some stupid reason.
    Dont ask me why but its something I regret since I did.

20 a day man and double that if Im drinking so hopefully this stuff its all its cracked up to be.

Whats the ideal day to decide to stop on--The doc said day 10--is that correct?

Cheers

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

hi guy's
    best of luck with the quit's. I quit on day 12, the instruction's say from day 8 to day 14, was smoking less each day and only able to smoke a half cigarette at a time, was thinking about smoking all the time and that it wasn't going to work. I was also irratible and a major short fuse. So on quit day after a short time had no craving's and mood noticeably improved over the course of the day and by day 3-4 i genuinely felt like a non smoker! Yesterday was day 10 smoke free and i actually forgot to take pill, no bother though but i'm going to stick with the instruction's. This is how it's working for me, problem's stopped for me when i stopped smoking! Amazing results, i'm so impressed and i've tried everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Starting tomorrow or Thursday on Champix--wish me luck.Prescriptions in my wallet and Im just waiting to get paid so that I can pay for them.

I have used Zyban in the past and managed to stay off them for 3 years but ended back on them for some stupid reason.
    Dont ask me why but its something I regret since I did.

20 a day man and double that if Im drinking so hopefully this stuff its all its cracked up to be.

Whats the ideal day to decide to stop on--The doc said day 10--is that correct?

Cheers

Richie.

Good luck mate. You won't look back, hopefully.

I started on the Champix about a 1.5 months ago. Was 20 a day man. Second week into Champix, I cut down to 1 or 2 a day, overnight. Yeah I know. I didn't do it the RIGHT way but I did it MY right way.

Gave up with my better half and her sister at the same time. He sister works in our home office so it was better if the three of us gave up at the same time.

I didn't have any major problems with Champix. Constipation was the main thing. My g/f had severe reactions to the Champix so had to stop talking them after 3 weeks. Fair play she is still off the cigs but is a bit harder for her than it is for me.

After about 3 or 4 weeks on Champix, I thought I was cured [any didn't want to live with the constipation any longer] so stopped taking them. WORST mistake I could have made. Within 24 hours I turned into an antichrist for 2 full days. Within an hour or two of taking Champix again, I was fine. I have no idea if it was a physcological thing or not but I was fine for another week or so.

I think I'm about 2 weeks sober now and I only take the Champix when I think of it, which is about twice a week. I still have the cravings but it's under control. I don't drink alcohol anymore, that helps. I decided to give up the drink for 2 to 3 months, as I double my cig intake while drunk :)

My g/f and sister still drink. g/f drinks like a fish [which I am keeping a VERY close eye on] and her sister still drink at the weekend. However, she also smokes the odd time on those weekends, well up until a week or two anyway.

I now feel confident in 99% of smoking situations, that I do not want a cig at all. I can be in the company of smokers without problem. I can have a meal without wanting a cig after. I feel cleaner. Can't say I feel healthier yet but I'm sure that will come.

I have MUCH more money than I used to. I want to be crystal clear on this point. I'm saving twice or three times more than I normally spend on cigs. The main reason : When I go to the shop to buy cigs, I also used to buy other shoite : Sweets, magazines, crisps, other luxury items. I now only go to the shop maybe twice a week.

Where previously I'd spend €60 on cigs a week, I feel I'm saving an extra €150 to €200 a week overall, more if you don't include the drinking I'm not doing at the moment.

Hmmm, I started off just to wish Hellrazor [and indirectly everyone else] good luck in their journey... I guess I branched out into my own experiences. I suppose sharing my experience may help others decide on what to do and ease some of the doubts.

Good luck all. It will be worth it. I would not have managed this easily if it wasn't for the wonder drug.

Well, it's great reading that you're all giving it your best! I notice some of you are questioning your thoughts about the cigs and withdrawls. I've been off the smokes since January 12th without any slips. I still THINK about them and I probably always will. After all they were part of my life for over 50 years. I still have dreams that I'm lighting up and someone is sitting across from me waving the smoke away from them. Then I wake up so relieved that it was just a dream. This has been going on since my quit date on day 8 of the Chantix. You just push it aside and move on!

I realize the "rules" are a little more lenient on that side of the Pond where they give you a "window" of 8 to 14 days. Here in the States it's precisely "Day 8".

As I mentioned many times before, everyone reacts differently on the medication and I was one of the "fortunate ones" that had no ill side effects, just positive ones.

One thing I did do, as recommended by the Chantix Support, was to notify all my family and friends that I had QUIT SMOKING. You'd be amazed how supportive they became even to the point of checking on me occaisionally to see how I was doing. It made the whole process so much easier.

You all keep up the good work and keep communicating! That's a big part of the success as I've found out. I'm now going on 8 months smoke free and loving it with no thought or desire to ever touch cigarettes again.

Hang tough and I normally check in daily just to see how everyone is doing. I just happened to be out of town for a few days and was surprised by all the posts since I last checked it! GREAT!!:D

:DHi Everybody:-)
    I was just reading over the recent posts! ah hope everybody is doing well! I Actually got up on day 8 of champix- smoked 4 cigarettes (&were horrrrrible) & went to work and decided that was it:D So im smokefree for nealry 3 days! YAY.... I feel that im not CONSTANTLY thinkin about cigs now its really just the occasional time throughout the day! My quit date was meant to be day 9 but I just stopped on 8 so im happy about that....
    Its great reading everybodys posts. Thanks a mill for all the support:D:) xx

Yeah Neveix!!!! Great News! ya made my day! Keep up the great work!! You won't be sorry!!!!!!;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LouLouMay

Hi everyone,

I fell onto this page as I was trying to find a listing of support groups for people quiting cigs in the Dublin area... I've been reading all the info about the prescription drug and I'm really tempted to try it. I've given up before and fell off the wagon a good few time... always in the pub!! But i'm so sick of smoking now and terrified that i'm doing so much damage that I'm determined to quit once and for all.
    Just want to feel healthy again!!!
    Going to make an appointment to see my GP and get cracking on this stuff!!

Louloumay, good news! We're here for ya! I'm going on my 8th month smoke free with NO DESIRE to ever smoke again! I pray that you can get the same results. Make sure you tell your GP if you've had any history of depression or anxiety. Sometimes this is a factor with Champix/Chantix. As I always say to newcomers, just make sure when you start the medication, DO NOT use on an empty stomach and drink lots of water. I personally didn't experience any of the listed possible side effects such as nausea but a lot of people have. And the most amazing thing is I never stopped my morning coffee or evening drinks and still didn't crave a smoke.:D
    As I said we're here for you so keep us posted. I usually try and check in every day to see how everyone is doing. Good Luck!!;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LouLouMay

Hey DonnieL - thanks for the well wishes! Its day two and i'm still a non-smoker, I'm going cold turkey! I was thinking about the prescription tablet and if need to I'll enquire but at the moment I think I'll be okay without. Were you a heavy smoker? I smoked 10-15 a day... Have to stay off the coffee for a couple of weeks as I don't know if I can manage one without a ciggie yet! I'm reading the Allen Carr book and although I'm finding it repetitive it does start to sink in after a point.

Hi LouLouMay,
    Yes, I was at a pack and a half to 2 packs a day. I tried the cold turkey way several times and always fell back into the habit/addiction. The Champix/Chantix blocks the receptors in your brain from registering pleasure from smoking and boy did it work for me.

I wish you good luck with quitting however you choose to do it. There are several in this thread that swear by Allen Carr. Keep us posted on your progress!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Hey everyone! Great thread!!!!

Got an appointment to see my GP today and hope he will prescribe champix to help give up this dirty habit of smoking. Im on 20 cigs a day and they are really starting to affect my health and im only 23 :(

Gonna start taking my first tablet tomorrow and I hope it goes welll with little or no side effects but even if there is side effects its worth to help me give up. Ive never been so determined to kick the habit so hopefully it will work.

O and congrats to everyone who has managed to stay off them, its a real big achievement and probably one of the most difficult tasks you will ever face.

Wish me luck :)

ladd19 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Great thread!!!!

Got an appointment to see my GP today and hope he will prescribe champix to help give up this dirty habit of smoking. Im on 20 cigs a day and they are really starting to affect my health and im only 23 :(

Gonna start taking my first tablet tomorrow and I hope it goes welll with little or no side effects but even if there is side effects its worth to help me give up. Ive never been so determined to kick the habit so hopefully it will work.

O and congrats to everyone who has managed to stay off them, its a real big achievement and probably one of the most difficult tasks you will ever face.

Wish me luck :)

Congrats Ladd and all,

I think I'm up to 8 weeks sober now and going strong, although I do have the odd bad craving day.

May I suggest that you start to cut down by as much as possible when you start Champix. If you on 20 a day now, maybe aim cut down to 2, 3 or 4 a day.

I was on 20 a day and what I just suggested would have scared the hell out of me 2 months ago. When I was cutting down, I didn't force myself. A lot of giving up is will power but it's also frame of mind. Keep a pack of cigarettes with you for comfort. At least you know they are there if you "really" need them.

Then when you get a craving, you are in total psychological control. You only have to fight the actual craving now, not your mind. Put off having the cig for 3 or 4 minutes. If the craving gets worse, try put it off for another few minutes, maybe go get a cup of tea.

After my first few days of this, I limited my 1 or 2 cigs to after 7pm. That allowed me to tell myself that if I didn't smoke at all during work and waited until I got home, it would be worth my while. Something to look forward to... until I was strong enough to kick it totally.

I say "really", above, because in a few weeks from now you will KNOWthat you do NOT "really" need them . The craving, no matter how bad it gets, will go away pretty soon.

This is how I started to cut down in the weeks before giving up. It REALLY helped me as it took the edge off when the cravings got very bad.

8 weeks later, I don't have to bring my pack or lighter with me. I can now move from going minutes at a time to days at a time without panicking.

Do I still get cravings? Hell Yeah. But mentally, I'm in a much stronger place than I was 8 weeks ago. Sometimes the cravings are as bad as they were in week 1 but the difference is that now I KNOW I can get past it.

• Advertisement

Hey ladd19, good for you! Love your determination and positive attitude! That will go a long way in helping you beat "the habit"! As I always mention to the "new recruits", just remember not to take the medication on an empty stomach and try and drink a lot of water.;)

RangeR has some good points on "weening" yourself off the cigs from day one but do what's comfortable for you. As far as urges, they will pass. I personally haven't experienced any urges but DO think about the cigs on occaision. But, as I said, they were part of my life for many, many, years!! Good luck Ladd and keep us posted!:)

Thanks RangeR and DonnieL - really good pointers there. I think you're right I will try to cut down immediately.

Well I got my champix today and was surprised that the doc told me to take one today instead of just waiting till tomorrow. I took my first tablet just after eating with loads of water and im feeling normal apart from just being a tad dizzy (out of sorts) but thats it.

He is also putting me in contact with a support group ("new clinical trial" as the doc put it) for people who want to give up the cigs, he says it has a good success rate so Im gonna give it a go. PLus its free which is great since the Champix are costly little feckers lol.

The scary part was that he said my throat is very worrying, something about the lining of my throat. But its just givin me more motivation to kick the habit.

Ill keep ye posted of my progress anyway lads, thanks again :)

Ladd19, Great news! The support Group is a Great Idea!. Here in the States support is offered through Chantix and is called GETQUIT! It's great. When you first start they email you pointers every morning, plus they ring you up every day at a time designated by you. Mine was at 5:30 PM. My phone rang precisely at 5:30 PM every evening, 7 days a week. They check to see if you have smoked that day. They continue the emails after your 12 weeks on a weekly basis for a year. It really works out. Congratulations and Best of Luck! :D:pac:;)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Ladd19, Great news! The support Group is a Great Idea!. Here in the States support is offered through Chantix and is called GETQUIT! It's great. When you first start they email you pointers every morning, plus they ring you up every day at a time designated by you. Mine was at 5:30 PM. My phone rang precisely at 5:30 PM every evening, 7 days a week. They check to see if you have smoked that day. They continue the emails after your 12 weeks on a weekly basis for a year. It really works out. Congratulations and Best of Luck! :D:pac:;)

Thats sounds great what ye have over there in the States. I think thats what this support group is like also. She has my number so she is gonna ring me everyday or every couple of days to see how im getting on and how i feel and so forth. Really pleased with my GP for going to the effort of setting it all up for me and he will be staying in contact with the support group also to see how I am doing. It's a great little set up they have going on, shame it couldn't have been done sooner but thats Ireland for ya lol.
    :):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

great to c your doing well. champix is great. have been off the fags nearly 4 months don't give up. the rewards, even down too how easy it is to sleep at night with clear lungs is great. My advise is to listen to donniel.

cgan086 wrote: »
    great to c your doing well. champix is great. have been off the fags nearly 4 months don't give up. the rewards, even down too how easy it is to sleep at night with clear lungs is great. My advise is to listen to donniel.

4 Months? that is amazing, well done and thanks for the support.

Well Day 2 is going okay, no huge difference to be honest except I find it hard to finish a cig and feel kinda sick when I actually do smoke. Gonna try to cut down to about 5 today if I can.:eek:

Hope everyone else is doing well and keep up the good work :)

Is this true??!!?? L.M.A.O.!!

This is just too funny not to share. Excerpted from an article which appeared in The Dublin Times about a bank robbery on March 2.
    Once inside the bank shortly after midnight, their efforts at disabling the security system got underway immediately. The robbers, who expected to find one or two large safes filled with cash &valuables, were surprised to see hundreds of smaller safes throughout the bank.

The robbers cracked the first safe's combination, and inside they found only a small bowl of vanilla pudding.

As recorded on the bank's audio tape system, one robber said, 'At least we'll have a bit to eat.'

The robbers opened up a second safe, and it also contained nothing but vanilla pudding. The process continued until all safes were opened.

They did not find one pound sterling, a diamond, or an ounce of gold. Instead, all the safes contained covered little bowls of pudding.

Disappointed, the robbers made a quiet exit, each leaving with nothing more than a queasy, uncomfortably full stomach. The newspaper headline read:

'IRELAND'S LARGEST SPERM BANK ROBBED EARLY THIS MORNING'....:D:rolleyes::)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wish me luck--Im on day 4 today of the Champix.Think theyre already starting to work since the cigs dont even taste as "nice" as they usually do---It actually feels like Im only smoking for the "habit" of it and not the cravings.

Do they work that quick??Or is it in my head??

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Do they work that quick??Or is it in my head??

That's exactly what I experienced. It WAS that quick. I still smoked for the two weeks, though, even though I didn't enjoy 99% of them.

After about week 4 is when I started feeling some slight side effects [constipation]. I then stopped taking them at week 5 as I was more fed up with the side effect than not.

I don't recommend other people stopping Champix until they are ready or finish the prescription.

• Advertisement

Hi.. As I mentioned in my earlier posts I felt a significantly deminished desire to smoke on my 3rd day. I only continued smoking for the remainder of the week (here in the States, day 8 is your quit date) only because I could and I was trying to follow the instructions to the letter! Continued good luck and wish you great success!!:D

Advertisement