Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixie on Twitter

Options
  • 10-01-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

For those that use Twitter, you can now subscribe to Pixie updates at http://twitter.com/pixie

We will be using twitter to make announcements from now on so feel free to "follow".

Cheers!
    Marcus
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Added also :)
    Had to set up a twitter too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

wtf is a twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

wtf is a twitter?

Google?Wikipedia?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Marcus, done.

Twitter is another one of those social networking fad things. It's useful in that boards use something similar to keep you up to date with what's going on when they are trying to fix things. In boards land it's called tweet.ie.

Twitter allows you to post SMS sized status updates so that people know what's going on. For example, I just told the 15 people who follow me that I packed up my camera to send it to be repaired today.

Other people tell you what they have for breakfast and stuff. It has a very high noise to signal ratio.

It's like FaceBook or google chat status messages ad infinitum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

sounds simply marvellous.

and Ricky? thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Calina wrote: »
    Marcus, done.

For example, I just told the 15 people who follow me that I packed up my camera to send it to be repaired today.

Janer may well right all along, you are God (or at least a godess ) :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

Marcus, done.
    Thanks.
    Twitter is another one of those social networking fad things. It's useful in that boards use something similar to keep you up to date with what's going on when they are trying to fix things. In boards land it's called tweet.ie.

Other people tell you what they have for breakfast and stuff. It has a very high noise to signal ratio.

It's like FaceBook or google chat status messages ad infinitum.
    For once, I not going to agree 100% with ya! ;) Twitter started off as broadcast status updates, "I'm eating my breakfast now" sort of thing, but has greatly evolved into something much more meaningful since then... and can no longer be called a fad :)
    Twitter allows you to post SMS sized status updates so that people know what's going on. For example, I just told the 15 people who follow me that I packed up my camera to send it to be repaired today.
    If I was following you and saw this "tweet", I might be interested in where you sent the camera, and how much they quoted you etc. I could simply reply and ask the question and a impromptu discussion might start...

Twitter has become more of a micro-blogging platform now (see wikipedia), essentially mini blog post of 140 characters or less. The beauty of twitter is that you follow and unfollow people/companies as you see fit. If you don't like what comes out, you simply "unfollow" and the noise goes away. The other thing about twitter is that it's real time. News breaks on twitter long before it reaches mainstream news agencies. This is an great example where a plane crash survivor tweets the experience live or a guy who just escaped from a house fire. This news went across twitter within seconds... way before mainstream media picked it up.

In another high profile example, it is said that President Obama successfully used twitter to help him win the recent election...

Pixie is going to use twitter to get information out to those that are interested, fast.

Thanks to all those that have followed so far! But this is really only useful to you if you are already a twitter user and want to listen to Pixie too...

:)

Covey wrote: »
    Janer may well right all along, you are God (or at least a godess ) :p;)

I ain't seeing anything like enough worship from Janer if he thinks I'm God, that's all I will say on that subject.

Marcus, tbh, I'm interested to see what you do with this. A lot depends on what useful stuff can get through really. In some respects, I'd be more interested in twitter if you could sort stuff on it like you can sort friends in FaceBook. For example, I'd like to split off the feeds into high noise and high signal feeds.

However, this is slightly off topic so I will only say this: well done; I know it can be useful for operational updates.

I didn't so much care for Scott Kelby's blow by blow account of some sports event in the US (can't remember whether it was football or baseball, tbh).

As for the camera, it's on its way to ISS and hence to Canon in the UK I believe. I have no idea how much it will cost because currently they don't even know if it can be repaired.

That being said, I might go away and think about how you could leverage Twitter to use it effectively for photography. But I do think contacts sorting would make that easier...so that you can target groups, for example. IE, if I had a group of boards.ie twitter contacts who were in Dublin and could be sorted that way, and I was struck by a bright idea of "let's hit the botanic gardens in the morning" it would be nice to target a tweet that way.

AFAIK, this is not currently possible with twitter, although it would be with web based text messages if I had everyone's phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Added also :pac:

• Advertisement

Marcus, tbh, I'm interested to see what you do with this. A lot depends on what useful stuff can get through really. In some respects, I'd be more interested in twitter if you could sort stuff on it like you can sort friends in FaceBook. For example, I'd like to split off the feeds into high noise and high signal feeds.
    Twitter's success is actually its simplicity. A lot of other clones came along with better features but for whatever reason didn't make it. Jaiku is a great example.

What you are looking for is twitter client called Tweetdeck, that will let you create groups and do all the sorting you're looking for.

I use Twhirl on the PC and Twitterific on the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

wtf is a twitter?
    I didn't have a clue either, but then again whats new.
    I try in the morning when the Saturday sessions wear off.

But if I am not mistaken, they haven't worked out how to get it to make actual money without going for the obvious one which is to use it as an advertising platform. If everyone is using clients, advertising could be a slight headache. I'm not bothered about using twitter on my phone - I occasionally turn my phone off, actually - but computer wise, it would be better for me and twitter if their home website allowed me to do loads of stuff which clients are allowing now...because it would also enable them to monetise it that bit more easily.

Interestingly enough, unrelated to photography, I frequent a social networking site which, like flickr, has a specific subject area. They have gotten advertising down perfectly - it is all related to the subject under discussion (knitting/crochet for anyone who is interested)...And it works because the advertising going to a closed community is perfectly targeted. This is going to be difficult for a site like Twitter, but it'll be impossible if they can't guarantee a public because the public are using clients and twitter can't get advertising to them.

That being said, I might go away and think about how you could leverage Twitter to use it effectively for photography.

I think Twitter has great potential to help any community, you could tweet "I'm in town - anyone up for a photowalk around the docklands in 30 minutes". Other photographers might be thinking the same thing...

I have tweeted "Anyone fancy a pint in Dublin?" and have had great evenings with friends and met loads of new people who come into the pub asking "are you the guy from twitter". Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you're in, you'll love it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

iampixie wrote: »

I have tweeted "Anyone fancy a pint in Dublin?" and have had great evenings with friends and met loads of new people who come into the pub asking "are you the guy from twitter". Takes a bit of getting used to, but once you're in, you'll love it. :)
    Wow! Sounds my kind of app!
    Install it now Calina!!

@ iampixie: We tried it with kitesurfing in the early days because it has been used by other kitesurfing communities but we already had mobile WAP updates going and that still gets used more along with a community message board.

@ AnimalRights: I have twitter set up and have done for a while. The person out of the loop here is you, my friend. If you want pints broadcasts, you'll have to sign up for it. I'm already in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Boards.ie Dating...

Who'd have thunk it!? :pac:

You're way out of the loop Fajitas!. I get hit on in Feedback, generally, which is why I only post there when I absolutely have to. Photography is a safe zone for me.

@ iampixie, out of interest, do you intend to use this as a marketing tool or, are you going to maybe centre it on community building? I don't remember what your user break down is - if it's expanding outside Ireland, how would you consider using it to access your community outside here? Like, your pints example; would you do that if you found yourself in a bar in, say, Prague, and see what happens, or would you maybe look at it as a tool to push themed photowalks for example? I'm getting that you wouldn't use it as just an operational tool to tell us when stuff might be back, for example, or that such and such a feature is now available...

@ iampixie, out of interest, do you intend to use this as a marketing tool or, are you going to maybe centre it on community building? I don't remember what your user break down is - if it's expanding outside Ireland, how would you consider using it to access your community outside here? Like, your pints example; would you do that if you found yourself in a bar in, say, Prague, and see what happens, or would you maybe look at it as a tool to push themed photowalks for example? I'm getting that you wouldn't use it as just an operational tool to tell us when stuff might be back, for example, or that such and such a feature is now available...
    Twitter is a two-way communication tool for us. Announcements and engagement only. We are just one user in the "twittersphere", when users get together on twitter I'm sure there's plenty of scope...

We've been using it for ages, but user my personal account. I only got Twitter to release the squatted username "pixie" yesterday. Hence the announcement here :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I only got Twitter to release the squatted username "pixie" yesterday. Hence the announcement here :).

That's really interesting. I was reading a piece by Pat Phelan earlier which pondered 'are brands using twitter' and quite obviously they aren't.

Was pixie a defunct user prior to you requesting it or was it active and did a battle ensue?

Me? I've been a twitter user for a while but have largely been dormant. In fact prior to tonight i think it was six months ago since i used it. Haven't used clients or anything. I thought it better when it would do SMS updates (turn on or off if desired). In fact when they turned off SMS updates for this part of the world my interest wained. I might try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I still don't get it. I must be too old for such things. And also I don't have a phone that can neither read e-mails nor browse interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

ThOnda wrote: »
    I still don't get it. I must be too old for such things. And also I don't have a phone that can neither read e-mails nor browse interweb.

I hear ya ! up until recently my phone had a B&W lcd screen and no camera. It could, rather amazingly, receive and make phone calls, and send and receive texts. Oh, and tell the time. Now I have a big plastic gimcrackery laden nokia smartphone with all sorts of boon dongles. I use it to check my twitter :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

wtf is a twitter?

It is one way of ensuring that every moment of every day is documented, whether it is interesting or not.

I joined up ages ago and thanks to this thread took a second look yesterday.

I "Twittered" that I was "Thinking About Photography".

That's about it...

Anouilh wrote: »
    It is one way of ensuring that every moment of every day is documented, whether it is interesting or not.

I joined up ages ago and thanks to this thread took a second look yesterday.

I "Twittered" that I was "Thinking About Photography".

That's about it...

On the other hand, we twittered this morning:

"If Pixie were hiring... :) would you be interested! Please RT and DM with "one liner" if interested."

...and now, 2 hours later, we have 20 or so people who have expressed an interest in working with Pixie, some of whom are totally unexpected and very exciting.

So I guess it boils down to how you use the service. :)

If you don't use or like twitter you can always sub to our blog, http://pix.ie/blog :) but tit-bits like the above will only go out over twitter.

[BTW - I should add that you can view our tweets without having to sign up - just visit http://twitter.com/pixie ]

On the other hand, we twittered this morning:

"If Pixie were hiring... :) would you be interested! Please RT and DM with "one liner" if interested."

...and now, 2 hours later, we have 20 or so people who have expressed an interest in working with Pixie, some of whom are totally unexpected and very exciting.

So I guess it boils down to how you use the service. :)

If you don't use or like twitter you can always sub to our blog, http://pix.ie/blog :) but tit-bits like the above will only go out over twitter.

[BTW - I should add that you can view our tweets without having to sign up - just visit http://twitter.com/pixie ]

My post was a bit too peremptory. I did not mean to be disparaging and Twitter is very useful for up to the minute news.

Perhaps I just haven't worked out how to use it efficiently?

The Facebook system that informs me that so-and-so has just got out of bed or is about to take a bus leaves me equally bewildered...

Sorry if I seemed to be giving offence.
    Not intended...

My post was a bit too peremptory. I did not mean to be disparaging and Twitter is very useful for up to the minute news.

Perhaps I just haven't worked out how to use it efficiently?

The Facebook system that informs me that so-and-so has just got out of bed or is about to take a bus leaves me equally bewildered...

Sorry if I seemed to be giving offence.
    Not intended...
    Don't worry - I didn't take any offense whatsoever! I looked for your twitter account but I think it's protected :)

More possibly interesting stuff on twitter from this morning (off topic but still relevant):
    Twitter is about participation and like anything online you only get back what you put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It amuses me greatly that people are using @reply syntax in this thread as opposed to the usual message board blockquote style.

I looked for your twitter account but I think it's protected :)

[*]Niall Haribson, of Irish site iFoods.tv...

Twitter is about participation and like anything online you only get back what you put in.

I joined Twitter out of interest to see how it worked.
    When I start using it regularly I'll open it up to public scrutiny.

I'm interested by the Harbison mention. This person asked to be my "friend" on Facebook, which was a bit of a puzzle, but I accepted.

Brave new world...

Then there is Twitter's little brother

http://useqwitter.com/

Qwitter

• Advertisement

Then there is Twitter's little brother

http://useqwitter.com/

Qwitter
    :) - and the lads from Contrast (who wrote Qwitter) are having a open "bring your own beer" party tonight See: http://twitter.com/eoghanmccabe/status/1134298685

Advertisement