Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Q:

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

OP you're all in the clear and don't have to worry about a TV licence. Friends of mine
    have the exact same situation. No TV or tuner equipment installed in a PC but do have
    NTL broadband. The spoke to the post office and don't have to pay the licence.

On saying that, they did have to go out of their way to prove that they are exempt from
    getting a licence....pretty ghey huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

slipss wrote: »
    Because the gardai are going to be willing to sit around in court getting warrants signed so they can look for tellys, judges are going to be willing to sign them all and then the garda will have the time to drive round doing all these raids?
    Over 10,000 prosecutions were taken by An Post in 2005 against TV licence offenders, and it began to target those with unlicensed TVs in holiday homes in the last year. Since 2003, 167 people have been jailed for non-payment of the television licence fee after they refused or were unable to pay it.

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they are breaking the law after all. i'm sure they have some kind of stream lining system set up. they could probably do 100 at a time or something

Yeah maybe your right, I just don't plan to ever pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

"Currently, An Post, which collects TV licence revenue on behalf of RTÉ, may only issue a fixed payment notice to a homeowner after it has sent two reminder letters 56 days apart."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0501/1209592339828.html

Sorry not sure how to do the quotes.

So according to that article, you may as well just wait till they send you a reminder anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

AFAIK - you need a licence for any apparatus capable of receiving a signal - which includes a radio! Or it did when I was at college (qualified as a Radio Officer) but that may have changed over the years...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

any form of screen you need a t.v licence

but the funny thing is, he knocked on my door, i refused to let him in ( had a licence, cba to listen to him due to me hang over )

he said " be prepared for legal action " and walked away...

havent heard from him since. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

S.I.R wrote: »

Huh? Not true. Don't need a license for a PC monitor if you've no TV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MOH wrote: »
    Huh? Not true. Don't need a license for a PC monitor if you've no TV.

Nope. And interestingly enough here in France you don't need a licence even if you have a tv-card in your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

S.I.R wrote: »

that's not true. it has to be a device capable of receiving a telegraphic signal. a monitor with only a vga input and no tuner can't receive a telegraphic signal.

but if you put a tv card in your computer you do need a licence. that's not covered under the exemption for viewing broadcasts over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Presuming you know its the licence inspector at the door, is there any onus on you to actually answer it? Im not plannning on using this strategy to avoid paying it, Im just curious.

We recently got a reminder & got the licence. About a week later we got a buzz on the intercom thing (apartment) someone at the front door asking to have a word with me. It was a voice I didnt recognise so I just didnt go down. Afterwords I twigged that it was probably the tv licence guy. Whoever it was just fecked off anyway. Their very sneaky not announcing who they are initially. In any case no ones been back so I presume theres no onus on the homeowner to actually open the door to them, despite them being aware that someones home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

If a TV License Inspector calls around to my door, can I ask him or her for ID to prove their credentials?
    It would be an easy ruse, for someone to pretend they're a TV License Inspector in order to gain access to my house to have a snoop around to see if it's worth breaking into.

Has anybody ever demanded to see some ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

what bugs me about those adverts for not having a tv licence is this, Yer man (licence man) walks into the gaf starts asking questions and then starts threatening that will get a large fine!. first up wheres your id?, wheres your warrant to enter? and thirdly who made you judge, jury and executioner? P**s off !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

RedPlanet wrote: »
    If a TV License Inspector calls around to my door, can I ask him or her for ID to prove their credentials?
    It would be an easy ruse, for someone to pretend they're a TV License Inspector in order to gain access to my house to have a snoop around to see if it's worth breaking into.

Has anybody ever demanded to see some ID?

of course you can. and even if he is an inspector you don't have to let him in unless he has gardai and a warrant with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

I wonder with the recession and loads of people not working will they still be threatning to fine people for not having one ( i.e - saving up the stamps like i am) when a lot of people just cant afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

What's the story with the inspector seeing a tv through a window? I mean are they allowed to walk around to the back of someones house and look through the windows? If they do spot a TV does that mean your going to court, assuming of course you don't have a license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Got a letter in this morning looking for some info within 5days apparently came round 14th. Do u think ive been snagged. Gonna get a licence anyway. Ignored the last few warning letters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm gonna go around pretending to be a tv license inspector, accepting bribes.
    Who needs a job, when there's plenty of stupid people to scam?

Wouldn't work, everyone knows what he looks like from the TV box machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

So, how does it work if you don't get a license and they find out?

They send a letter? You ignore it.
    They call around? You ignore them
    They call around with Gardai? You answer the door, and are forced to pay for a license and a 50 odd quid fine?

Surely it is worth it to just ignore it? Seeing as they mightn't actually catch you, and if they do you just have to buy one anyway and pay a small fine.
    It is only if you fail to pay for the license and the fine within 3 weeks that further action (court) is pursued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

I refuse to pay TV lencense on principal,the sh*te that we are subjected to on standard cable,particulary RTE,the all Ireland talent show,cabin fever,jigs and reels,dire cringe worthy comedy shows etc,I just use a clothes hanger and watch the news,which is a shame since I have a 50'LG LCD,I have got letters from TV license crowd,but I reckon its all smoke and no fire,If they knock on the door,I wont answer,or Ill just throw it in the closet and claim I have not telly!

Advertisement