Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV License Q:

Options
  • 09-01-2009 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

I'm a new tenent and dont own a TV.
    I DO have a NTL account for broadband only.
    I DO NOT have a TV Card in my pc.

Received a letter called "Television License - Statutory Declaration".
    On the back its got the following questions:

1. Do you have a current television licence? No
    2. Is there a television set at this address? No
    3. Is there a television reception aeriel on, or at these premises? Don't think so
    4. Are these premises connected to a communal aerial or cable system? YES

So, whatabout that last question.
    Are they suggesting that if the house is connected to a cable system I have to pay for a television licence?
    It strikes me as a leading question.
    What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I will answering quickly before the AH crew take over.

A TV license is only for a device capable of receiving a signal.

If you do not have one then dont worry. Wait till the license inspector arrives and ask him to come in and if he finds one you will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

What are you doin on NTL? Too cheap to pay for Sky, I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

As far as i know if your from Barbados you dont not need a tv license:confused:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Berty wrote: »
    Wait till the license inspector arrives and ask him to come in and if he finds one you will pay.

Get hooked up to some CCTV and if you see him coming hide it before he arrives!

Sky is the same price is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I will answering quickly before the AH crew take over.

A TV license is only for a device capable of receiving a signal.

If you do not have one then dont worry. Wait till the license inspector arrives and ask him to come in and if he finds one you will pay.

But dude! You're a part of the AH crew!
    C'mere.
    /hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

RedPlanet wrote: »
    I'm a new tenent and dont own a TV.
    I DO have a NTL account for broadband only.
    I DO NOT have a TV Card in my pc.

Received a letter called "Television License - Statutory Declaration".
    On the back its got the following questions:

1. Do you have a current television licence? No
    2. Is there a television set at this address? No
    3. Is there a television reception aeriel on, or at these premises? Don't think so
    4. Are these premises connected to a communal aerial or cable system? YES

So, whatabout that last question.
    Are they suggesting that if the house is connected to a cable system I have to pay for a television licence?
    It strikes me as a leading question.
    What do you think?

If you have no tv to decode the signals from communal aerial then you dont need a license, if there is a tv in the premises (i know you said no you dont) then one is needed but the landlord would be liable

Oh and cos this is ah, kill the inspector if he shows up and take his place, see how long it takes people to notice the switch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

For broadband???

But dude! You're a part of the AH crew!
    C'mere.
    /hugs.

ugh get off get off get off :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

when your not banning me :mad: Two Faced ***** **** **** ****** ******** *********** *********** **** :D:D::D

:D:D:D:DLOL dont ban me

ugh get off get off get off :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

when your not banning me :mad: Two Faced ***** **** **** ****** ******** *********** *********** **** :D:D::D

:D:D:D:DLOL dont ban me

Banned.
    /still hasnt stopped hugging.

• Advertisement

Banned.
    /still hasnt stopped hugging.

:( I just dont know where I am with you *Sniff :(

Sorry about that post Dr. B. Thought it was appropriate.

Some hugs offered as an apology? :)

I accuse you all of dragging this thread horribly off the topic. It certainly was not me that started this shambles. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What about TV streaming on the net? You know we will need TV licences for kettles, electric razors soon enough... conspiracy tbh.

I just rang them today, had the TV here a month, never got around to it but when the DD mandate arrives it will be sent back the same day :)

The fines not worth it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

GAAman wrote: »
    the landlord would be liable

No he isn't. It is whoever lives at the address that is liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Even if the TV is broken but repairable.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'm gonna go around pretending to be a tv license inspector, accepting bribes.
    Who needs a job, when there's plenty of stupid people to scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Great, you can start in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you want to be convincing you'll need to be able to speak multiple languages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Would it not be whoever owns he tv no? What if 5 people lived in a house and the landlord owned the tv.
    Does the money go to RTE then?
    If thats the case it's a bit of a joke having to pay if you have a tv hooked up to a dvd player and no aerial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dioltas wrote: »
    Would it not be whoever owns he tv no? What if 5 people lived in a house and the landlord owned the tv.
    If thats the case it's a bit of a joke having to pay if you have a tv hooked up to a dvd player and no aerial.

Landlord is only responsible if its a hotel, guest house, B&B or digs. If you're renting a flat or house then it's classed as separate address. The law doesn't care who got the license so you could do a deal with your landlord, however AFAIK the main tenant would be held responsible if caught without one.

The license is for any device that is capable of receiving a TV signal. Whether or not it is actually used to receive a signal is irrelevant so your TV would need to be licensed even if it's only for DVDs or games.

I think there was a recent ruling that receiving TV over the internet on a computer was exempt.

UPDATE
    =====
    Done some research into the Statutes and it looks like it's up to the occupier or occupiers to prove there is a license for the TV. So either don't answer the door, escape & get someone else to answer, or get rid of the tele. (Actually now that I think of it I remember something on the radio about if you're away on hols for a few weeks to make sure anyone looking after the place can show the license if asked otherwise they could be fined.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

dioltas wrote: »

Get a good size computer screen and hook up the laptop and watch your dvd's. Now your license free yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Must be a bit crap not having a telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Why ya can find must shows online and most movies. All you need is a good PC screen and you're advert free as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Not to disagree with you mossy, but the my current landlord said he was liable for the tv which came with the house. Said it was because the tv was his and not mine. Now this is in derry might be different, only goin by what i was told

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Do TV license ppl actually have the legal right to demand we answer any of their questions or allow them into our homes without some sort of written notice/legal warrant should they call round?

I mean, i dont care who they say they are, or what kind of ID card they show, but unless they are known to me or accompanied by the law i dont see why i should even open my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

If you really don't want to pay a TV license then don't, regardless of whether you have a TV or not. There is nothing they can do. The only way any one can enter your home without your permission is if they are a member of the Gardai and they have a warrant signed by a judge, it violates the constitution of the nation. So when the inspector comes to your home and says "have you got a tv" say no, when he asks if he can come in and check, laugh and close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

slipss wrote: »
    If you really don't want to pay a TV license then don't, regardless of whether you have a TV or not. There is nothing they can do. The only way any one can enter your home without your permission is if they are a member of the Gardai and they have a warrant signed by a judge, it violates the constitution of the nation. So when the inspector comes to your home and says "have you got a tv" say no, when he asks if he can come in and check, laugh and close the door.

and then he comes back with the gardai.........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    and then he comes back with the gardai.........?
    Because the gardai are going to be willing to sit around in court getting warrants signed so they can look for tellys, judges are going to be willing to sign them all and then the garda will have the time to drive round doing all these raids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

slipss wrote: »
    Because the gardai are going to be willing to sit around in court getting warrants signed so they can look for tellys, judges are going to be willing to sign them all and then the garda will have the time to drive round doing all these raids?

they are breaking the law after all. i'm sure they have some kind of stream lining system set up. they could probably do 100 at a time or something

Advertisement