Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism

Options
  • 09-01-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Never thought I'd start a thread in this forum... :)

I'm basically concerned at the psychology community's requirement to give every little foible and every slight difference in people a name, and to tell people that it's a problem which requires treatment.

There was a guy on Newstalk this morning. The discussion related to the news that it looked like it may be possible in future to do prenatal checks for autism, giving parents the option to abort or otherwise prepare for the arrival of autistic child.

The guy was making the comment that automatically aborting foetuses at risk of autism would cause the progression of the human race to come to a standstill. This is because everyone who makes giant leaps in our understanding of the universe or who otherwise stands out from the crowd has a high-functioning form of autism. He actually said that geniuses and people who are multi-talented all have high-functioning forms of autism.

Another comment was along the lines of, "Everyone involved in creating computers, for example, had a high functioning form of autism". This was his argument - if we didn't have autistic people, we'd never invent anything.

Now, this wasn't just some "guy". He's a professor of child psychology in TCD.

I think it's pretty insulting to everyone to say that if you are in any way different, there must be some form of mental challenge/difference which makes you so. It's insulting to intelligent people, as he did say that these people all have other "problems", without quoting any evidence, research, or otherwise backing up his assertions. It's also insulting to the rest of the population, basically - "Intelligence is a mental disability, so just don't bother trying."

I just feel that there is this overwhelming drive to insert everyone into a box, tell you that it's a problem, but it's OK, we can treat it for €100/hour and €10/pill. The ridiculous overdiagnosis of disorders such as ADD, ADHD, autism (esp. asberger's), only serves to strengthen my suspicion.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Wow this guy is a bit of a dick for spreading that kind of bull****, especially when he's a professor of child psychology.
    There's enough bull**** about vaccines causing autism as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Not that I'm trying to defend that child psychologist, autism isn't exactly a science, not enough is known, the modern basis of our knowledge was started in the last 100 years by Leo Kanner. psychology does not have all the answers yet. As a student I found it frustrating but now as I am working with children with a wide array of mental disturbances, I see its not so cut and dry. My clients have no one condition, but many and they're all so muddled up there's no knowing what is causing x, y and z.
    there's no such thing as a perfect case study so the study of mental disabilities is a long one. Not so long ago you were just labeled a "loon" if you were different.
    the remarks that child psychologist made are outrageous (seriously every computer geek cannot have a form of autism thats just stupid) but he may have a point with regard to the benefits of autism, the inventive nature of some of those on the spectrum of autism. i think enough people go around bashing autism but he over did going the polar opposite. not all autistic children have a special gift, i know of one mother desperately trying to figure out her autistic son's "gift", like its clear enough he's one of he luckier ones still in regular school.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

he may have a point with regard to the benefits of autism, the inventive nature of some of those on the spectrum of autism.
    Well, I'm definitely not disagreeing with that in the slightest, I have no dear doubt that some of the greatest minds ever born probably had some form of autism. It's by no means a blnket certainty though.
    not all autistic children have a special gift, i know of one mother desperately trying to figure out her autistic son's "gift", like its clear enough he's one of he luckier ones still in regular school.
    This indeed, is also something which he implied - that all autistic people have some form of "gift", of "superpower", to balance out the mental/social difficulties that they have to deal with.

I really couldn't believe the guy was a professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i can't quite believe it either but it just goes to show you just because you have letters after your name doesn't make you all that smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

that's just a slogan, some very intelligent people say stupid things.

This seems to me to highlight the area of designer babies, which imo is a really bad thing. Can you imagine parents being allowed to choose certain characteristics over others, it would be a society of blond haired blue eyed extroverts, all of them lawyers and business people. It would be hell!

• Advertisement

that's just a slogan, some very intelligent people say stupid things.

This seems to me to highlight the area of designer babies, which imo is a really bad thing. Can you imagine parents being allowed to choose certain characteristics over others, it would be a society of blond haired blue eyed extroverts, all of them lawyers and business people. It would be hell!
    Not really. Curing genetic diseases and designer babies are two completely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Very irresponsible, what he said. Of course there have been great people with mental disabilities in the past. But what about the other 99.9% who suffered the same?

King Mob wrote: »
    Not really. Curing genetic diseases and designer babies are two completely different things.

Mental diseases have benefits as well though, like schizophrenia (beachboys dude, phil spector, maths dude in film) or autism as already mentioned. Why remove the disease and the attendant benefits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

But what about the other 99.9% who suffered the same?
    Mental diseases have benefits as well though, like schizophrenia (beachboys dude, phil spector, maths dude in film) or autism as already mentioned. Why remove the disease and the attendant benefits?

I repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Seamus,

I heard the same thing on newstalk this morning and I think you are doing the guy an injustice.

If I recall the piece was based on some new test, or future one that will allow parents to know if their child will have autism etc.

His fear was that we will clean the gene pool genetics with our perfect babies and that as a a result of that we risk "killing" off one of the creative resources that has helped take us out of the caves so to speak. People who "think" a little differently.

He also cited some example of people who had autism, that higher functioning kind. He mentioned some other kind to but I can't remember what it was called but Asparagus sounds close, even thought that is a veg :/

• Advertisement

Because having the disease does not mean you'll have benefits. The vast majority of people who have schizophrenia (not sure whether this is genetic or not) do not become famous musicians. Same with autism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

seamus wrote: »

There was a guy on Newstalk this morning. The discussion related to the news that it looked like it may be possible in future to do prenatal checks for autism, giving parents the option to abort or otherwise prepare for the arrival of autistic child.

The guy was making the comment that automatically aborting foetuses at risk of autism would cause the progression of the human race to come to a standstill. This is because everyone who makes giant leaps in our understanding of the universe or who otherwise stands out from the crowd has a high-functioning form of autism. He actually said that geniuses and people who are multi-talented all have high-functioning forms of autism.

Another comment was along the lines of, "Everyone involved in creating computers, for example, had a high functioning form of autism". This was his argument - if we didn't have autistic people, we'd never invent anything.
    Now, this wasn't just some "guy". He's a professor of child psychology in TCD.

Anyone else?

I have a very vivid imagination , therefore i must be nuts , maybe i should have been aborted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

His fear was that we will clean the gene pool genetics with our perfect babies and that as a a result of that we risk "killing" off one of the creative resources that has helped take us out of the caves so to speak. People who "think" a little differently.
    Well I got the impression from him that most, if not all significant "creative resources" were autistic to some degree. Perhaps I heard wrong.
    He also cited some example of people who had autism, that higher functioning kind. He mentioned some other kind to but I can't remember what it was called but Asparagus sounds close, even thought that is a veg :/
    Well, this was the bit that really made me suspicious. He cited people who were never (and probably would never have been) tested/diagnosed with autism - Joyce and DeValera to name but two. You could suggest that perhaps these people were autistic based on biographies, but to say conclusively that they were autistic, is scientifically irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Reminds me of that pseudo science that 'rational' and 'enlightened' thinkers used to espouse as scientific truth. Eugenics. Hitler was a fan, I could see what he was thinking, trying to spare future generations from genetic disorders. Mutation is always a problem, and indeed, essential to evolution! :)

Kernel wrote: »
    Reminds me of that pseudo science that 'rational' and 'enlightened' thinkers used to espouse as scientific truth. Eugenics. Hitler was a fan, I could see what he was thinking, trying to spare future generations from genetic disorders. Mutation is always a problem, and indeed, essential to evolution! :)
    Goodwins!

Science = Evolution = Eugenics = Hitler.

Been watching that ridiculous Ben Stein movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭WhaLofShi

Yup. A great humanitarian. Somehow, Kernel, I don't think Adolf's support of eugenics had much to do with sparing future generations from anything. I'm of the opinion that he wanted his Aryan master race to be perfect and to hell with everyone else.

Anyway, now to throw a spanner into the professor's works. If his theory is correct and people with autism are, or can be, geniuses, is it possible that some day, after a foetal diagnosis, one of them may come up with a prenatal cure?

seamus wrote: »

When you've had enough people moan at you about the forum, you're naturally drawn toward it. Either that or you obviously have one of the mental disorders the CTers are supposed to suffer from. Welcome to the club. Speaking of which .......
    seamus wrote:
    I think it's pretty insulting to everyone to say that if you are in any way different, there must be some form of mental challenge/difference which makes you so. It's insulting to intelligent people, as he did say that these people all have other "problems", without quoting any evidence, research, or otherwise backing up his assertions. It's also insulting to the rest of the population, basically - "Intelligence is a mental disability, so just don't bother trying."

I just feel that there is this overwhelming drive to insert everyone into a box, tell you that it's a problem, but it's OK, we can treat it for €100/hour and €10/pill. The ridiculous overdiagnosis of disorders such as ADD, ADHD, autism (esp. asberger's), only serves to strengthen my suspicion.

Anyone else?

Seamus, it's been spouted around here that certain mental problems are the reason that CTers see things the way they do. Whether it's looking for order among the chaos (not on this forum :D) or simply reasoning that suchandsuch a thing doesn't seem right. Somebody might be able to direct us to some links (I think there was a list of them put up on the forum before). So I would think that it's not entirely insulting to consider that certain very intelligent people might have some sort of mental "problem". (see what I did there ? :D)

On a more serious note, and I'm not going to blow my own trumpet here, and I run some risk of having this nugget dragged out to be slapped with, but I have an IQ of over 160 and have been regarded as extremely intelligent (all that intelligence has been wasted I might add). I have been able to identify personal mental patterns in myself, and having discussed it with friends, a couple of those I deem to be of above average intelligence, have similar "disorders". I'm not going into detail, but it's fair to say that my "problem" doesn't seem to affect me in any way other than when I'm alone and doing nothing (or very little), or if I find myself in a very boring conversation, I find my mind seems to need to keep occupied and my "issue" comes to the fore (unknown to anybody else - i.e. you can't see it)

Another example, my closest frend can't spell to save his life and reads very little. He was diagnosed with dyslexia as a teenager after years of "trouble" in school. However, he can do complicacted maths in his head and uses formulae in his work (again done in his head) which allow him to do the work (manual work I might add) quicker and more competently than others in his field.

Maybe most extremely intelligent people have a disorder of some sort. Maybe the professor is right. Maybe something wired "incorrectly" produces a better understanding of other things in some wierd and wonderful way.

Maybe Stephen Hawking's ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) was programmed in somewhere, and the flip side is genius.

WhaLofShi wrote: »

Seamus, it's been spouted around here that certain mental problems are the reason that CTers see things the way they do. Whether it's looking for order among the chaos (not on this forum :D) or simply reasoning that suchandsuch a thing doesn't seem right. Somebody might be able to direct us to some links (I think there was a list of them put up on the forum before). So I would think that it's not entirely insulting to consider that certain very intelligent people might have some sort of mental "problem". (see what I did there ? :D)

On a more serious note, and I'm not going to blow my own trumpet here, and I run some risk of having this nugget dragged out to be slapped with, but I have an IQ of over 160 and have been regarded as extremely intelligent (all that intelligence has been wasted I might add). I have been able to identify personal mental patterns in myself, and having discussed it with friends, a couple of those I deem to be of above average intelligence, have similar "disorders". I'm not going into detail, but it's fair to say that my "problem" doesn't seem to affect me in any way other than when I'm alone and doing nothing (or very little), or if I find myself in a very boring conversation, I find my mind seems to need to keep occupied and my "issue" comes to the fore (unknown to anybody else - i.e. you can't see it)

Another example, my closest frend can't spell to save his life and reads very little. He was diagnosed with dyslexia as a teenager after years of "trouble" in school. However, he can do complicacted maths in his head and uses formulae in his work (again done in his head) which allow him to do the work (manual work I might add) quicker and more competently than others in his field.

Maybe most extremely intelligent people have a disorder of some sort. Maybe the professor is right. Maybe something wired "incorrectly" produces a better understanding of other things in some wierd and wonderful way.

Maybe Stephen Hawking's ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) was programmed in somewhere, and the flip side is genius.
    Yea neither dyslexia or ALS make you a genius as a side effect.
    The vast vast major of people with mental disabilities do not become math wizards or great painters or whatever because of their disability.

Goodwins!

Science = Evolution = Eugenics = Hitler.

Been watching that ridiculous Ben Stein movie?

Nonsense, the topic being discussed is related to genetic differences currently viewed as 'unfit', and the possibility of using genetic engineering to eradicate them from the gene pool. Do you not see the correlation to eugenics?? :rolleyes:

Which man in history has done more to promote and enact eugenics? That's right, Hitler. Goodwins my arse! Can I bring in Kernel's law; in which whenever you mention nazis on an internet forum, however relevent to the topic, you are accused of succumbing to Goodwins law? ;)

Nonsense, the topic being discussed is related to genetic differences currently viewed as 'unfit', and the possibility of using genetic engineering to eradicate them from the gene pool. Do you not see the correlation to eugenics?? :rolleyes:

That's must be a slippery slope you see.
    Curing genetic diseases is not eugenics.
    Your logic is the same as saying let's not treat the flu because people who don't have the flu would wipe out those how do.

• Advertisement

That's must be a slippery slope you see.
    Curing genetic diseases is not eugenics.
    Your logic is the same as saying let's not treat the flu because people who don't have the flu would wipe out those how do.

What the hell are you talking about? :confused: I'm off to play left 4 dead.. enough time spent here. :)

Curing genetic diseases is not part of eugenics by any stretch of the imagination.
    These diseases are pretty well defined by causing disability or distress.
    To say that they are "genetic differences currently viewed as unfit" is not true.
    Just as saying that curing these disease will lead to eugenics is not true.

Curing genetic diseases is not part of eugenics by any stretch of the imagination.

In your opinion.
    These diseases are pretty well defined by causing disability or distress.
    To say that they are "genetic differences currently viewed as unfit" is not true.

Why don't you read seamus' original post instead of tangenting.
    seamus wrote:
    I'm basically concerned at the psychology community's requirement to give every little foible and every slight difference in people a name, and to tell people that it's a problem which requires treatment.

Genetic differences = autism. Currently viewed as unfit. See, I'm on topic.
    Just as saying that curing these disease will lead to eugenics is not true.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.
    Why don't you read seamus' original post instead of tangenting.
    Genetic differences = autism. Currently viewed as unfit. See, I'm on topic.
    In your opinion.

Oh autism is genetic now? Not Vaccinations anymore?

Autism isn't just a difference, it something that in most cases causes severe social problems. It's a disease. Most of the people with this disease don't become math geniuses.

To compare curing a disease is like eugenics is plane ridiculous.

Oh autism is genetic now? Not Vaccinations anymore?

There are genetic components to it. Same way some children have trouble excreting the mercury from the vaccines. Different strokes. Regardless of my beliefs on autism, (which I have shared on another thread and do not wish to repeat here) the OP's point discussed autism as genetic mental disorders. In the spirit of the post, I have discussed the implications for genetic engineering. No need to drag the vaccination debate into here as well, unless a mod wants to merge the threads.
    Autism isn't just a difference, it something that in most cases causes severe social problems. It's a disease. Most of the people with this disease don't become math geniuses.

To compare curing a disease is like eugenics is plane ridiculous.

You fail to see what is right in front of your nose. If you read that statement again you might understand why there is a link. From wiki:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Eugenics was an international scientific, political and moral ideology and movement which was at its height in first half of the twentieth century and was largely abandoned after the Nazi Holocaust and its future associations with racism.[2]

Its advocates regarded it as a social philosophy for the improvement of human hereditary traits through various forms of intervention.[3] Today it is widely regarded as a brutal movement which inflicted massive human rights violations on millions of people.[4] The movement, led by race scientists, financed by private philanthropies such as the Carnegie Institute and the Rockefeller Foundation and implemented by governments was practised in North America, Europe (particularly Nazi Germany), and Australia (among others). The "interventions" advocated and practised by eugenicists involved prominently the identification and classification of individuals and their families (including the poor, mentally ill, blind, 'promiscuous women', homosexuals) and entire "racial" groups (such as the Roma and Jews) as "degenerate" or "unfit", the segregation or institutionalisation of such individuals and groups, their sterilization, their "euthanasia", and in the worst case of Nazi Germany, their mass extermination.

Eradicating unborn children who may suffer from 'severe social problems' (as you say) is perfectly ok and not comparable to Eugenics??? May I remind you of your history, and point out that the Reich began it's program of Eugenics on the mentally ill, those with 'severe social problems'. I cannot understand why you fail to recognise the link between this topic and Eugenics. :confused:

Eradicating unborn children who may suffer from 'severe social problems' (as you say) is perfectly ok and not comparable to Eugenics??? May I remind you of your history, and point out that the Reich began it's program of Eugenics on the mentally ill, those with 'severe social problems'. I cannot understand why you fail to recognise the link between this topic and Eugenics. :confused:
    Huh funny I don't remember saying any about eradicating unborn children.
    I believe I was talking about curing a genetic disease, through genetic engineering.

Yea neither dyslexia or ALS make you a genius as a side effect.

I don't think I claimed that to be the case. I suggested that it's possible that in a balancing sort of way, when one brain function is diminished, another is increased. A bit like how some blind people develop better hearing.

The vast vast major of people with mental disabilities do not become math wizards or great painters or whatever because of their disability.

Of course not. And you won't get any argument from me on that but it must be considered that many geniuses were quite mad.

Seamus suggested that the guy on the radio was insulting intelligent people by saying that extremely intelligent people may have some sort of mental - let's call them - differences. I didn't hear the radio interview, but can only assume that the professor was warning about the possibility of removing potentially "smarter" people if it becomes the norm to abort a foetus diagniosed with autism. I'm sure most of the extremely intelligent people alluded to wouldn't be too insulted anyway.

As we're talking about a new medical procedure here, what if a test for autism diagnoses even very mild cases, that would have little or no effect on a child's life, and those foetuses are aborted, are we running the risk of removing potential geniuses, or even just very smart people from the gene pool?

The guy I grew up next door to seemed to be a bit of a mis-fit. He couldn't hold a conversation for more than 3 or 4 minutes before his mind wandered. We, as kids, labelled him "a bit of a wierdo". Today, he is called on by major drug companies, petro-chemical companies etc. to step in when their own chemists have a problem. I know I'm providing anecdotes, I'm no expert in this area, but feel that this "evidence" shouldn't just be flippantly ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A friend of mine who works with children with autism has always maintained that we are all on the autistic spectrum. We all have some behaviours or thoughts that if examined carefully (or admitted) would qualify us as autistic.

The longer I live, the more people I meet, the more I agree with her. People with autism are more exaggerated versions of all of us. It's us that has the problem coping with them.

I don't think I claimed that to be the case. I suggested that it's possible that in a balancing sort of way, when one brain function is diminished, another is increased. A bit like how some blind people develop better hearing.
    That's also a misconception. The brain doesn't balance it self out.
    Of course not. And you won't get any argument from me on that but it must be considered that many geniuses were quite mad.
    And there's many many geniuses who have provided huge amounts of scientific achievements who weren't mad.
    Seamus suggested that the guy on the radio was insulting intelligent people by saying that extremely intelligent people may have some sort of mental - let's call them - differences. I didn't hear the radio interview, but can only assume that the professor was warning about the possibility of removing potentially "smarter" people if it becomes the norm to abort a foetus diagniosed with autism. I'm sure most of the extremely intelligent people alluded to wouldn't be too insulted anyway.

As we're talking about a new medical procedure here, what if a test for autism diagnoses even very mild cases, that would have little or no effect on a child's life, and those foetuses are aborted, are we running the risk of removing potential geniuses, or even just very smart people from the gene pool?
    Yea autism doesn't work like that. Great abilities are not guaranteed by autism. By treating autism (not just abort foetuses) we are not by any stretch running the risk of removing all potential geniuses.
    The guy I grew up next door to seemed to be a bit of a mis-fit. He couldn't hold a conversation for more than 3 or 4 minutes before his mind wandered. We, as kids, labelled him "a bit of a wierdo". Today, he is called on by major drug companies, petro-chemical companies etc. to step in when their own chemists have a problem. I know I'm providing anecdotes, I'm no expert in this area, but feel that this "evidence" shouldn't just be flippantly ignored.
    Ok unless you know whether this guy actually had a mental disorder your anecdote isn't exactly evidence for anything.

• Advertisement

What is the reason to change autistic people when they may have no problem being the way they are? Its not like they're harming anyone. I was reading an article about this physicist Dirac who exhibited a lot of autistic tendencies, he seemed cool, he had no emotion and was incredibly literal, like a robot. What is wrong with characteristics like these. Why are extremely sociable people at the other end of the scale not labeled as being mentally ill?

Advertisement