Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football anyone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Sorry lads. Won't be able to make it today. I just got up and I'm not feeling the greatest. :(

I'll be back next week though. Sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

Sorry lads, can't make this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Jako8 wrote: »
    Sorry lads. Won't be able to make it today. I just got up and I'm not feeling the greatest. :(

I'll be back next week though. Sorry again.
    Bongomc wrote: »
    Sorry lads, can't make this now.

Not to worry lads, I think we still have 10 players...hope to see ye there next week though! :)

Match Report Week 3

After the international break of last week, the schenanigans restarted once again at 3pm yesterday in the UL Sports Arena.

We spent a lot of time trying to get 10 players to ensure a 5-a-side game, and with minutes to go, we had established the players, and the teams, which ended up as follows:

Team A:
    The Townie
    Mossin
    Niall09
    Mossin +1 [Steve]
    Finnezzia

Team B:
    DJCR
    Joemcg18
    DJCR +1 [Kevin]
    DJCR +2 [Connor]
    DJCR +3 [?]

However, there was to be a sting in the tail, with an unexpected attendee, a canadian chap who played 2 weeks ago, and made for uneven teams as a result. We wouldnt refuse anybody a game, and so Steve was kind enough to keep swapping teams every 15 mins or so to try make it as fair as possible.

What ensued as a result was a seriously competitive game, and I must admit that the standard increased this week, as players touch improved and the standard of goalscoring proved to be of the highest quality.

Team A began with 6 players, and dominated the opening exchanges as a result. Neat one-touch passing and movement saw Team B torn to shreds and some total football style goals scored against them [the likes that the Holland of '70 and '74 and the current Barcelona team would be proud of] ;)

However, despite this early domination, Team B acquitted themselves very well, and managed to score with some impressive counter attacks.

When Steve reverted to Team B, the contest really intensified, and if it wasnt for some poor finishing from Team B, [most notably from DJCR - no surprises there though :p ] they would really have turned the screw!

Team A continued to play passing football, and Finnezzia, The Townie and Niall09 all profited from this and finished superbly at times, with Niall09 rasping in a strike when we had a man less. However, Joemcg18 made a string of great saves in goals for Team B to keep the game interesting, and much to the frustration of Team A!!

At the other end, DJCR's finishing was still being questioned, and one attempt from him was cleared off the line by myself, resulting in DJCR shouting for video evidence and the use of a video referee, when it was clearly NOT over the line :cool: While not as epic as this clearance [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroX28gDVNY] you get the picture! :)

The intensity never dropped throughout the 60 mins, and it was with regret that the game finished. Many thanks to all who contributed to what was a cracking game, and here's hoping that next weeks game will be just as exciting!

My Nominations for MVP include: The Townie, Finnezzia, Kevin, Joemcg18, and notable contributions from Connor, Niall09, Mossin and Steve.

/Mossin

Gameweek 4 - Tuesday 26th October

1. Mossin
    2. The Townie
    3. DJCR
    4. Niall09
    5. Joemcg18
    6. Finnezzia
    7. Mossin +1
    8. DJCR +1
    9. Jako8

2 spots available for next week. If there are any changes to the 8 listed, please let us know.

**there is a possibility that the canadian will be there again next week, so odd numbers may not be such a big concern**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mossin wrote: »
    there is a possibility that the canadian will be there again next week

Dave, is he paying for the privilege of playing with us?? The first time we were short a man so that was fair as we were desparate but if he thinks he can turn up every week, not pay and make the numbers uneven then hes gonna get a shock next week (In a non-violent, verbally considerate way :p).

MVP: Steve again. The obvious sign of a good player is one who doesn't give away possession. Although I did manage to rob Steve of the ball on one occasion.:D

I actually dont think he's paying....I really should pay a lot more attention to whats going on :confused:

As per Steve, yeah he's solid, and keeps possession, which makes it a pain in the arse to get back from him alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I'll be there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 limman

we normally play on thursday nights, but cant get 10 at the minute due to immigration!!! what price is ul peak and what is availability like? was down there the other night and they said they had no peak slots, so didnt even ask for the price. delta have slots available at peak times and the pitches are bigger and obviously are grass, which is better than wood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Where do ye play is it on the astro or in the gym? Might be interested and could really do with the game a week to help keep fitness up

• Advertisement

limman wrote: »
    we normally play on thursday nights, but cant get 10 at the minute due to immigration!!! what price is ul peak and what is availability like? was down there the other night and they said they had no peak slots, so didnt even ask for the price. delta have slots available at peak times and the pitches are bigger and obviously are grass, which is better than wood

Peak price in UL is €50 per hour - still cheaper than Delta.
    I played in Delta on Monday, and it was on a wooden floor, so you are incorrect in saying that Delta pitches are all grass. Delta are wider pitches, but they are not as long as UL's indoor court, so wrong again there I'm afraid.
    As for grass being better than wooden floors, thats a matter of opinion tbh.

We play on Tuesday afternoons as can be seen on the past 4 pages or more on this thread, and it only costs us €30 [€3 each] per hour.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Where do ye play is it on the astro or in the gym? Might be interested and could really do with the game a week to help keep fitness up

We play indoor in the arena. If you want to play, commit early, and come along next Tuesday with €3 @ 3pm. It's always good for more boardsies to come along! :)

limman wrote: »

I would be interested in playing thursdays if ye were playing in UL arena but if theres no free slots i guess thats just tough luck! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 limman

well not much good if ul is 50 an hour and theres no pitch available, so will have to pay an extra euro a head to get an evening slot in delta, which will hardly break the bank

REMINDER Gameweek 4 - Tuesday 26th October

I forgot this was a bank holiday weekend, and that some people may not return to UL until Tuesday, but as it stands the following are confirmed for Tuesdays game:

1. Mossin
    2. The Townie
    5. Joemcg18
    7. Mossin +1
    8. DJCR +1
    9. Jako8

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Won't be able to make this, sorry.

I'm not sure what position DJCR is in to play tomorrow...he isnt here in Limerick as of now, and I dont know when he will return, so I'm assuming he is out for tomorrow unless he comes back early...

I'm hoping to get 2 replacements though for Niall and DJCR early tomorrow...so all may not be lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭finnezzia

no game for me today lads. sorry about late notice.

We are down to 6 players right now...if I cant get a few more in the next 30 mins, this game might not go ahead :(

Just arrived in limerick to this depressing news! :( ah well what can you do......

P.S. Don't forget the Canadian ! lol

• Advertisement

Lol, I'd almost forgotten him!

I'll meet ye at the Arena, and we can decide what to do there, depending on how many turn up...I've heard nothing from Bongomc, so maybe we will have enough numbers!

**FINGERS CROSSED!

Match Report Gameweek 4

With some late withdrawals, for a while it looked like there would be no game this week at all, but thankfully we managed to get 8 players, and played a 4 v 4 game. The teams lined out as follows:

Team A:
    The Townie
    DJCR +1 [Kevin]
    Randon Canadian dude
    Joemcg18

Team B:
    Mossin
    Mossin +1 [Steve]
    Bongomc
    Jako8

It was fairly hectic for the first 20 minutes, as both teams ran like people possessed in search of some hidden treasure, and the only way to discover the truth was to blast the ball past the other team into the rectangular goals at each end.

Both teams scored utlised the extra space to great effect, with Team A more acute though. Team B ran out of steam after 20 - 30 minutes, and were glad that the game started late and only lasted 45 minutes.

From my memory [of trying really badly to stop it], Team A scored a superb break-away goal involving The Townie and Kevin, in which a delightful backheel sent me the wrong way, and following that a crisp 1-2 passing movement saw the ball rolled into our net...Kudos on that score! It was definitely my highlight of the game..

My lowlight(s) have to be the 2 own goals I scored, although I'd have been proud of the 1st as I buried it in the top corner of the net following a rebound...sadly it was the wrong end of the field...my 2nd one was just as unfortunate...I'd been on a break-away and missed by hitting the post, only to see the ball rebound to the opposition. In an act of desperation I burst a gut to get back up the pitch, only to be a half-step behind Keving who had the goal gaping in front of him. I stretched to try prevent him getting clean contact on the ball in the hope that he might miss, but all I succeeded in was putting the ball into the roof of the net once again...It wasnt going well for Team B.

Even the normally reliant Steve had an off day, twice leaving the ball short on Bongomc, and the opportunistic The Townie punished us with in clinical fashion! Jako8 put in a superb stint for Team B with some excellent pressing, tackling, goalkeeping and finishing when required!

For Team A, Joemcg18 was often the architect of break-away goals, and more often the tormentor for Team A in disrupting the play. The Townie and Kevin played a blinder together, and were a constant thorn in Team B's side. The random Canadian was solid, and used great vision to keep the play moving.

Overall consensus is that 8 players was tough going, but that it was a really enjoyable game! It was definitely worth playing!

MVP's: The Townie, Kevin & Jako8 imo.
    Notable mention to Bongomc for playing with us after reaching playing in a handball tournament all weekend in Kilkenny.

Gameweek 5 - Tuesday 2nd November 2010

Unfortunately I wont be able to make the next game as I have an interview to attend, but I expect to see a match report from Gameweek 5.
    The Townie is going to collect money next week [including €9 from the Canadian - €6 which I'll get from you the following week]

Numbers for next week are as follows:

1. The Townie
    2. Joemcg18
    3. Bongomc
    4. DJCR
    5. DJCR +1 [Kevin]
    6. Jak08
    7. Mossin +1 [Steve]
    8. Canadian Dude

Mossin wrote: »
    including €9 from the Canadian

That might be wishful thinking but I certainly will if hes brave enough to show up again. :D

MVP: Kev had his best week yet I think.

As for next week, if anyone else is able to play (particularly finnezzia and/or Niall09) please let us know.

Any withdrawals please say so asap! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭finnezzia

Yo. Can't really commit to this week. Got a load of **** to get done for college. If I can I'll let yous know closer to the time but count me out for now.

No problem finnezzia, I'll count you out unless told otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

Sorry lads, I won't be able to play tomorrow...I think i might have a chest infection so I must go to the doctor!

OK guys, looks like it will be 4-on-4 which is grand. I'll see ye at the arena at 3. If ye find anyone else who can play in the mean time bring them along. Cheers.

Match Report Gameweek 5

There was no match !

People who turned up;

1. TheTownie
    2. DJCR
    3. DJCR +1 [Kevin]
    4. Jako8
    5. Joemcg18

People who didn't turn up without notice;

1. Bongomc
    2. Canadian Dude
    3. Mossin +1 [Steve]

We waited until 3.15pm to give everyone time to turn up.

My skepticism last week about the Canadian turned out to be spot on. Once there was a mention of money he was on his way.

I'm disappointed in Bongomc not giving any notice of his absence. He hasn't logged into boards since Tuesday 26th Oct.

With Steve, what can I say... He's got a lecture 2-3pm but he could have given Mossin a heads up, who could in turn tell DJCR, who could then inform the rest us.

So there it is, a disappointing day all round.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear that there wasnt a game last week, but hopefully there will be one this time out, it may be the last one of the semester, as I only have the timeslot booked for 6 weeks....I'll enquire on Tuesday when we play, so...

Gameweek 6 - Tuesday 9th November 2010

Please let us know early if you are playing this week:

1. The Townie
    2. Mossin
    3. DJCR
    4. Joemcg18

Advertisement