Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper spray to be new weapon for the Garda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

met-man wrote: »
    Trojan; your story about the county cop doesn't hold water I'm afraid. First of all some forces use OC, most use CS. CS isn't going to be sprayed anywhere without everyone knowing about it. Secondly, I've never heard of cannisters being seized and weighed.....let alone in the circs you outline. If you use your gas, it gets bagged up and retained as evidence. OC and CS are two very different agents.

Whether my story holds water is neither here nor there, like I said, the story was "flying around". Just like all great mythical Met Grapevine stories.

And yes, canisters were weighed after discharge to calculate how much was used & then bagged up for evidential purposes.

If an accidental discharge happened an IRB had to be completed for accountability etc and your skipper informed.

This was before your time, so policies may have changed since. We did our CS training at DM in the gym and then outside in a sectioned off area of Portman Sq, W1 where we voluntarily experienced the effects of the spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Was this back when Bob Cryer was still in custody at Sierra Oscar? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

metman wrote: »
    Was this back when Bob Cryer was still in custody at Sierra Oscar? :p

I wouldn't mind Bob's wages in my bank account.......

deadwood wrote: »
    Which reminds me.
    Where's Metman this weather?:D

I was never on Road Wars. Sky Cops, once or twice.

I have never gassed myself. Colleagues, once or twice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

metman wrote: »
    I was never on Road Wars. Sky Cops, once or twice.

I have never gassed myself. Colleagues, once or twice....
    I've gassed myself AND my colleagues several times with Guinness gas rather than CS!
    met-man wrote: »
    Something like that....pc grief over the hols actually (PC grief, as in laptop problems, not a constabulary colleague).....am now using a mac as a result. Hopefully normal service can now be resumed ;)
    Bloody Political Correctness again, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Pints of Guinness from flannerys and food from burger max....... never mind cs gas, the gas the next morning from members is like mustard gas.

FWWmustard.JPG

Yep, Guinness brand gas definitely falls into the 'noxious substance' category and is nothing if not incapacitating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Pints of Guinness from flannerys and food from burger max....... never mind cs gas, the gas the next morning from members is like mustard gas.[/img]

ah yes the irish WADs

Weapons of Ass Destruction

TheNog wrote: »
    ah yes the irish WADs

Weapons of Ass Destruction

AGS greatest weapon against crime the day after retirement/transfer functions etc etc.
    No prisoner can withstand the smell in the back of a patrol.... its AGS new initiative to stop people from re offending. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

donvito99 wrote: »
    I dont know the name of it but there is an Antidote thingmajig for CS that is used in Britain. Will it be issued to AGS, or is pepper spray not as bad as CS?

The effectiveness of both CS & OC depends very much on the manufacturer, companies offer both in varying levels of concentration. One advantage OC has over CS is that it is more effective against animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Chris Piggot is the guy on Road Wars who keeps spraying himself.

Have heard that it's looking like PAVA is the front runner for the spray contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Have heard from a friend in the LA intake in templemore, that the KD intake (who will be attested in November 09) will be the first phase 4's to leave templemore with the spray on the belt!

True or not, u decide!

cushtac wrote: »
    Have heard that it's looking like PAVA is the front runner for the spray contract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAVA_spray If your curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

ScubaDave wrote: »
    Have heard from a friend in the LA intake in templemore, that the KD intake...
    lapd-racial-profiling.jpgLA

Kd_lang-Drag.jpgKD

Things have really opened up since my day.

Have heard from a friend in the LA intake in templemore, that the KD intake (who will be attested in November 09) will be the first phase 4's to leave templemore with the spray on the belt!

True or not, u decide!

I remember hearing several months ago that students were being trained with the semi rigid cuffs but we still havent been issued or trained on them. Wonder how long will it be before we are trained on the spray

Hows june 2012 suit?

I remember hearing several months ago that students were being trained with the semi rigid cuffs but we still havent been issued or trained on them. Wonder how long will it be before we are trained on the spray

I have heard that the current idea is that the in-service training will cover both in the same module.

Hows june 2012 suit?

Id prefer June 12-20 but I grudgingly accept your predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

The JC's group that came out as phase 4's in August were the 1st ones with the semi rigid cuffs and will be the standard for all newbies coming out now;

Was also told that with the pepper spray being approved recently the training for both will happen together; Id say it will be either us, the kc's, or the kd's who will get trained on it 1st; Bit of a joke tho if you have some people arriving to a scene with this extra level of protection tho?

• Advertisement

I know who'll be getting out of the car first at calls......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I'm intake KC.
    The JC's were the 1st to get the semi-rigids last sept, all future phases will get them on attestation.

My intake is due to be the first to get the pepper spray as standard equipment upon attestation in september. That also means we'll be the first to have the spray tested on us. (All members who are issued with it have to be subjected to how it feels!!!):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Silop08

There are a lot of rumours about cut backs etc but can anyone tell me when the spray and new cuffs are being introduced / issued

2015 id say, cause of no funding for AGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Yeah i believe its 4.5 million for the contract, but the Commission has said yes its a priority

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

i wouldnt refer to it as a weapon. Its personal protective equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Silop08

Ok made some enquiries. The tender was sent out in Nov 08. Finished in the Middle of March. Not sure who got the tender but the training course for the spray is currently being developed and due for issue in Sept.

I have also heard that it will be run with the new cuffs. Anyone hear any different

Aye, heard from CPD that the plan is to make a day course out of the new cuffs and the spray! Sooner the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Trojan911 wrote: »
    When we had them rolled out in the Met we used H2O to practise etc however we were offered a chance to feel what it was like to experience a dose, so a weaker version of what is issued was sprayed into our facial area. This was voluntary but I had a go & it still stung, great for clearing the sinuses though. Do you know what % strength they are?

Don't know about the pepper one but CS is 2% for the "give a feel what it's like" stuff and 5% for the operational cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Aye, heard from CPD that the plan is to make a day course out of the new cuffs and the spray! Sooner the better!

Ya its to be the Public Order instructors giving the course, same as the Asps.

Advertisement