Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cognoscente

reductive contrarianism ahoy!

they are reviews though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

they are reviews though.

Yep, and a turd is still a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Overhyped, completely. Its just random sounds with some mediocre vocals. Almost completely forgettable, aside from one decent track that slips my mind. My Girls probably. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I agree. It's the reedy vocals, that many american indie bands share (e.g. grandaddy, flaming lips, mercury rev....), that I can't abide.

As for Pitchfork, they're reviews are generally just a wankfest for 'zine types.

Woah woah woah lets keep the almighty Flaming Lips out of an AC thread now...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got this at the weekend based on the enthusiasm on here, reviews and the few tracks I listened and I really like it.
    Will their gig be worth travelling up to?

I'd say YES! They owe us. It better be good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cognoscente

Am I, just like AC destined to be misunderstood? Woe!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

RoroBop wrote: »
    mpp is the greatest album ive heard in years, more exciting progressive imaginative & important than any other music currently being produced.

Having given it a couple of listens I simply cannot concieve why you might think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's OK but like everything AC do, it's a bit two dimensional. Faux psychedlia experimentalism for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

It's a good album, not amazing, but it's still really good. In The Flowers is especially great. Not a patch on Strawberry Jam. I honestly don't know how anyone who listened to Strawberry Jam can't think it's up there as one of the greatest albums of the last 10 years...!

There, I said it. Let the abuse begin!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Absolutley loving this album at the moment. Great vocal work, really strong harmonies. Also the music sounds great, I don't think its that "experimental", at least not wantonly so, a lot of the melodies are quiet poppy.

Fav's at the moment are "Also Frightened" and "Lion In A Coma"

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Woah woah woah lets keep the almighty Flaming Lips out of an AC thread now...

Funnily enough, I always thought the Flaming Lips were overrated. Some great singles but I found their albums fairly dull. Much prefer this. Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

This thread depresses me so, so much.

No-one has ever made an album as good as Merriweather Post Pavillion.

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Karlusss wrote: »
    This thread depresses me so, so much.

No-one has ever made an album as good as Merriweather Post Pavillion.

There, I said it.

The fact that my copy is now gathering dust after two listens confounds your argument :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mine was a download, listen to about 10 times, leave on itunes but not on my 80gb ipod jobby. I'd score it as headache inducing at this stage... and I'm on a huge breakcore binge these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Absolutely love this album. It took me a fair few listens to get into it, but just can't stop listening to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

zudo wrote: »
    Absolutely love this album. It took me a fair few listens to get into it, but just can't stop listening to it now.

Agree completely - I think it requires a bit of work to get into but rewards that work in spades...

The thing I find remarkable about it is that everyone seems to have a different favourite track - mine at the moment is In the Flowers

Agree completely - I think it requires a bit of work to get into but rewards that work in spades...

The thing I find remarkable about it is that everyone seems to have a different favourite track - mine at the moment is In the Flowers

At the moment I'm really into Lion in a Coma ;)

I can't turn this album off, seriously! Listening to Strawberry Jam quite a bit too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Charley Horse

I adore it, its a really solid album, i really like Sung Tongs and Feels et al but this along with Strawberry Jam is the most cohesive. Favourite song changes with ever listen, it brings me to happy places!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I had never heard of animal collective before and bought this after hearing it playing in HMV. I think it's a good album. Interesting stuff but I wouldn't go reading into it too deeply. It's refreshing compared to other indie stuff out at the moment which is all to alike. I think the songs go downhill after track 6 or 7 though and I find that I only listen to the first half of it. I will be buying person pitch though,from what I've heard it seems to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Great album. First and second listen were meh. Then i found myself skipping through it to put on specific songs. Still trying to make my way past the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

quarryman wrote: »
    Great album. First and second listen were meh. Then i found myself skipping through it to put on specific songs. Still trying to make my way past the first half.

This seems to be the case with everbody . It definetly requires a bit of work. I was reading through the 'White Lies' thread, and To Lose My Life was critisied a fair bit for been unoriginal, something Merriweather Post Pavillion is definetly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

This band are incredible and this album is instant classic..love it deeply..are they coming back soon? please say yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

This is great stuff.

I was the same as well, took a while to get into it, love Taste and Brothersport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls

Stuck in my head all day today, funny how that happens....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I still can't listen the whole way through,the production is that dense.

If people don't get to the end of the album they'll never hear Brothersport! Fantastic song.
    Great moment in Tripod when the entire crowd bopped along together, up and down, up and down!
    Summertime Clothes is the newest single.

They have a big ol' gap in August/September... C'mon EP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hard Shaw

They should be at EP, no question. It would make the gig for me.

I've been hitting up their older albums again and it's been some summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just listened to My Girls there....I like it. Question is, is it worth buying the album going on this track.....or more to the point, if I like the following bands (which I do), will I like AC?

Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, The Shins, Passion Pit, Bright Eyes, Black Kids, The Rapture, Broken Social Scene....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just listened to My Girls there....I like it. Question is, is it worth buying the album going on this track.....or more to the point, if I like the following bands (which I do), will I like AC?

Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, The Shins, Passion Pit, Bright Eyes, Black Kids, The Rapture, Broken Social Scene....

My Girls is the best track on the album for me but its well worth buying anyway. Also, based on your list of bands above AC should keep you interested.

• Advertisement

An absolutely unqualified yes.

Advertisement