Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion

Options
  • 06-01-2009 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to this? I only really thought there were 3 good songs on Strawberry Jam but I'm expecting big things from this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Musoabuso

Listened to it, just can't get into them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cognoscente

Their most acessible album I think.

It's ok.

Nothing AC have done can compare to Person Pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I love the album. It's very well-arranged with a good mix of catchy pop tunes like My Girls wedged in with more abstract tracks like Guys Eyes. Fave tracks: My Girls, Brothersport, Summertime Clothes and Also Frightened. The imagery on Summertime Clothes is amaaaazing <3

Everyone goes on about how great these guys are live. I'm so cross that I missed them last time 'round. Hopefully they will announce some Irish dates to plug the new album.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I really like this album. People are saying it's "accessible" like it's a bad thing! Sure, the pretentious obscurists will lose a band to the general listener, but hell it's taken the band eight albums to get this much acclaim in the greater media.
    The reviews are excellent, lots of 4/5 stars. Pitchfork gave it a whopping 9.6 out of ten.

I don't think one can compare this album, or any of their other albums, to Person Pitch because Panda Bear is an artist in his own right.

They're playing at Tripod on 27th March http://pod.ie/list_tripod.php?view_details=1&event_id=1864&venue=2
    But lucky me, going to see them for the 3rd time tomorrow in London :)

Twee. wrote: »
    !

Thanks for the notification. Good to see it's not a mad price either :D

PS Don't mind nothing Pitchfork says.

• Advertisement

monellia wrote: »
    !

Thanks for the notification. Good to see it's not a mad price either :D

PS Don't mind nothing Pitchfork says.

Indeed Pitchfork is generally to be taken with a bit of salt, but you yourself said you loved the album! They loved it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Having listened to the album for the first time I'm beginning to think it's overrated. 9.6 from Pitchfork? They must be joking!

flyswatter wrote: »
    Having listened to the album for the first time I'm beginning to think it's overrated. 9.6 from Pitchfork? They must be joking!

It's Pitchfork! As said before, take with a grain of salt!

They were great last night :D Got a great tee!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

just got it this morning, not too bad. listenable in patches, some songs are dragged out a bit though. My Morning Jackets new album though, is a completely different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yep, My Morning Jacket's is quite the winnest.

Gave MPP a listen today... not sure of it yet. Gonna give it another go tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Can't think of any of their songs. What should I download to try out?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Suspicious Dave

Strawberry Jam did nothing for me so I'm turning a blind eye to this. That's an odd expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

loving this album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RS88

I think this is great! Completes a holy trinity along with Feels and Strawberry Jam. The prob with it is that people will hear it's good and think it's like a new Arctic Monkeys or Coldplay album, but if you don't like Animal Collective's weirdness you're never going to like this album. I'd recommend anyone give it a shot though... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Strawberry Jam was annoying in my opinion but will give this a listen seeing as all the indie whores are raving about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the few tracks I've heard from it sound great ("Brothersport" in particular is amazing), but I downloaded "Strawberry Jam" from eMusic (they don't have the new one yet) and its not really grabbing me.

It's Pitchfork! As said before, take with a grain of salt!

They were great last night :D Got a great tee!
    Glad to hear it :)
    *also jelous*
    Strawberry Jam was annoying in my opinion but will give this a listen seeing as all the indie whores are raving about them.
    Don't let the hype put you off. Just because Pitchfork messes their trousers every time a new AC record comes out, doesn't mean you can't appreciate them too.

I've given MPP some mega play and I've concluded that it's their best album yet. I especially love it 'cause there weren't really any albums from 2008 which I heard and thought "classic right there". This, however, is a WINNAH! And maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I seriously think that My Girls is one of the best songs of this era. Those harmonies are just inspired.

Roll on March :D Anyone know when tickets are going on sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

****/*****

Thats 4 stars out of 5, not two bad words.

Very good, the Irish Times Ticket supplement was raving about it in such a way I said 'worth a shot', they're normally on the money. Before that I'd a dozen or so tracks on the MP3, via the Hype Machine (hypem.org)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

tried listening to them again this evening. just cant get into it. 2/3 decent songs at best, but the rest is thrash thrown together imo.

monellia wrote: »

I've given MPP some mega play and I've concluded that it's their best album yet. I especially love it 'cause there weren't really any albums from 2008 which I heard and thought "classic right there". This, however, is a WINNAH! And maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I seriously think that My Girls is one of the best songs of this era. Those harmonies are just inspired.

Roll on March :D Anyone know when tickets are going on sale?

My Girls is just amazing! I keep listening to it over and over! Apparently it's about Panda Bear's wife and daughter.

AH! http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/180041988EC31A54?artistid=948496&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

It's on the website but no indication of when they're on sale, or if they've gone on sale already!?

• Advertisement

A friend of mine works for TM and says that a bunch of gigs will be announced/put on sale at the end of the month, after people tend to get paid. This is probably one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RoroBop

It's on the website but no indication of when they're on sale, or if they've gone on sale already!?

they're going onsale friday 23rd jan @ 9am - so says pod.ie here http://pod.ie/list_tripod.php?view_details=1&event_id=1864&venue=2

i was talking to noah (panda bear) sunday night / monday morning in berlin & he kept saying how seriously terrible the band felt about the last 2 dublin gig f*ckups & that they sincerely want to put on a free gig for the dublin fans but the promoters wouldn't let them. soundest sweetest guy in the world.

mpp is the greatest album ive heard in years, more exciting progressive imaginative & important than any other music currently being produced.

RoroBop wrote: »
    they're going onsale friday 23rd jan @ 9am

Thanks so much, just ordered my tickets :) Third time lucky for Dublin?

definitely, we actually said that! the lads are really intent on playing a blinder in dublin... think ill go see them play belfast too.

RoroBop wrote: »
    definitely, we actually said that! the lads are really intent on playing a blinder in dublin... think ill go see them play belfast too.

That's dedication right there! This will be my 4th time to see them and I'm still so excited. I wonder if they'll have any new merch by then!? I already got the ballet t-shirt in London. Wouldn't mind a MPP vinyl!

yeah the graphics are way more effective on the vinyl cover than on the cd.
    that ballerina tshirts really cool; they are selling merriweather post pavillion tshirts on this tour - same colour as the cd & same thin multicoloured lettering, v. nice [im kicking myself for not buying 1 in berlin cuz they were selling girls 1s for just €15]
    this tripod gig'll be my 5th time seeing them in 4 different countries :) hope i didnt freak them out when i told them this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was actually very disappointed with it at first, but after a few listens its a definite grower. Not my favourite thing they've done, not by a long shot, but a bloody good album all the same

Got this at the weekend based on the enthusiasm on here, reviews and the few tracks I listened and I really like it.
    Will their gig be worth travelling up to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

Kold wrote: »
    Strawberry Jam was annoying in my opinion.

As for Pitchfork, they're reviews are generally just a wankfest for 'zine types.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Johnny Volume

Kold wrote: »
    Strawberry Jam was annoying in my opinion.

I agree. It's the reedy vocals, that many american indie bands share (e.g. grandaddy, flaming lips, mercury rev....), that I can't abide.

As for Pitchfork, they're reviews are generally just a wankfest for 'zine types.

Advertisement