Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor to Pull 7 tonne Machine

Options
  • 06-01-2009 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Tractor for under 10K that is capable of Pulling a 7 Tonne Machine on a low loader. It must be feasible for farmwork also e.g. Fertilizer / Bales / etc.

I was thinking of a MF 390... has anyone any recommendations?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

adne wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a Tractor for under 10K that is capable of Pulling a 7 Tonne Machine on a low loader. It must be feasible for farmwork also e.g. Fertilizer / Bales / etc.

I was thinking of a MF 390... has anyone any recommendations?

a 390 is far too small for that job , if all you need is a toeing machine , i would buy the likes of a 1987 john deere 3350 or maybe even a fiat 110- 90 , nothing pulls like them old fiats , nothing

check this outhttp://www.farmandplant.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2416390

and this

http://www.farmandplant.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=523544

ignore that it says its a petrol , you often get typos like that

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Get a MF 699 4 WD great dependable tractor at less than €10k for a specimen tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

hi, you could get a massey 390t for under 10000 if you search in the right places.That would pull the low loader. Or as irish bob says you could get one of the older john deere tractors, You can find them fairly cheap.How about a 3000 series massey they are well cheap for there hosepower.

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

the 699 is the best option here, and it will not loose any value. avoid massey 3000's if possible. the autotronic box gave and shuttle box gave a lot of hassle. plus the 699 will be a good classic to own. it might even go up in value. 6354.4 was a good pulling engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

marleyman would u recommend the 699 over the Fiats??

What your take on New Hollands, I think i could get a mid 90's model from the north for 10K

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i would have no problem recomending the 3000 masseys. they are cheap and are great to pull. juts get one that was looked after and that didnt have a dogs life. they have a lot of extras that others dont have like electronic linkage which is handy when your outside the tractor as you can operate it there. 699s rust like mad. them tractors are really old now and you may be running into problems. any ford/ new holland we ever had gave us trouble. fiat on the other hand are super. i would put fiat first and then massey.

Cheers GermanRocks, i heard the ford are scrap alright but thought New Holland was a decent tractor especially the ones from 96 on..... Im reluctant on the 3000 Mfs,

A mid 90s Fiat seems to be the best option

could be right, something like a 110-90 or the newer version of that from new holland.A lad i know i think he is selling his 110-90.

where is he based ? what kinda money? What year? condition ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the massey 699 was a very average tractor and besides , their only around 105 hp

I will have to get back to you on that, as i will see him tomorrow .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

At the end of the day, its only a 7 ton machine that you will be pulling, so you won't need anything more than 90 horse power - unless you need more for other farm work?

Some of the bigger tractors suggested above can be very hard on parts - especially if they are old. Steering joints, seals, gaskets and even engines don't tend to last as long on bigger heavier machines. Engines only have a certain life span and are good only for a certain amount of hours. I'd suggest buying what yiou need, and buying as new as possible. If a smaller tractor suited you (ie. 90hp or so), it would be easier on fuel, parts, tyres and easier to manouver around the farm or on the road.

Cut your cloth according to your measure. There are 7 or 8 different makes of reliable tractor that would meet your needs. Price around, its a buyer's market, so bargain hard. Buy a tractor with low hours and make sure that it was well maintained and not abused.

cheers reilig.... sound advice there.... I am hoping for a mid 90's model either a Fiat, New Holland or an Mf 390T would suffice

cheers reilig.... sound advice there.... I am hoping for a mid 90's model either a Fiat, New Holland or an Mf 390T would suffice

390T would be my choice, bulletproof engine and anyone can repair them if it gives hassle.

is there much difference between 390 and 390T

One thing, you won't get a 390 2wd for €10k, For a 390t 4wd, expect to pay a min of €14k + VAT in Northern Ireland or €16k + VAT in the Republic. You might pick up a straight 390 a bit less than this, but you will pay for what you get.

is there much difference between 390 and 390T

the 390 is approx 88hp and the 390t is approx 94hp - could be more if its adjusted for more power.

It will def have to be a 4WD..... would 94 HP suffice for pulling a 7 tonne machine... would this be too much over time?

Whats the next up from a 390T ... a 398??

It will def have to be a 4WD..... would 94 HP suffice for pulling a 7 tonne machine... would this be too much over time?

Whats the next up from a 390T ... a 398??

Yea, 90hp would be loads for pulling 7 ton. I've often pulled a 13 ton machine after a 110hp tractor at its ease. You could pull 7 ton after a 60hp tractor if you had brakes on your trailer, it wouldn't even have to be a 4wd.

398 would be the next up from the 390, but be warned, they have reliability issues!

• Advertisement

Hi you could get a 390t for around 10000 great tractor. Was talking to my friend today it was not a 110-90 it was a 90-90 and he sold it.

cormywormy wrote: »
    Hi you could get a 390t for around 10000 .

Where? I have never seen one in this price range? Know several people who would buy one if they could get them at this price.

A 390T fot 10,000 is not possible. i've never ssen one at this price unless it has a serious mechanical fault like a seized engine ..... and even then etc

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Anyone else heard of possible clutch probs with 390/T at around the 4k hrs mark? I have heard a vague roumour of that, and they are a bit overpriced imo. If I had to choose, I'd deffo go for the fiat, they are a beast, and in my area were most popular with agri-contractors. Come to think of it there were very few contractors using 390's in the 1990's eventho they had used the 2 series in the 1980's...at least round this neck of the woods

marzic wrote: »
    Anyone else heard of possible clutch probs with 390/T at around the 4k hrs mark? I have heard a vague roumour of that, and they are a bit overpriced imo. If I had to choose, I'd deffo go for the fiat, they are a beast, and in my area were most popular with agri-contractors. Come to think of it there were very few contractors using 390's in the 1990's eventho they had used the 2 series in the 1980's...at least round this neck of the woods

I heard of the clutch problem with the 398, but not the 390/t

no problems as such with 300's clutches, the first of them were 12", the last of them were 13". the 13" was a better setup and when the clutch on a 12" 300's was done a few times and the flywheel had to be skimmed the mechanic would upgrade to 13".

the reason contractors never used the 300's is that they were no strong enough oh the horses.

Hi here are some 300 series tractors under or a little above 10,000, And no they dont have seized engines.

On ebay 390 then add a tb turbo for 950 so at the most it would cost 10000 euro.

On the autotrader in euro some 390t

Autotrader, 390 add tb turbo 9450 + vat including new turbo.

in england
    7500+vat original 390t
    9500+vat original 390t
    11000 for 399

So if you really want a 390t for around 10000 you can get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dragous

would you not consider a john deere. they're a far more reliable machine. You would pick up a 2850 or 3050 or 3350 for handy money, 8-11k maybe even less. In fairness 390's are a fine tractor but they are over priced especially the 390T. Avoid the 390's with the shuttle box, as these can give problems. If it was me i'd buy an old john deere, once you drive one of those old john deere's you'll realise they're a great machine. their build quality is excellent

what is the horse power of these John Deeres 2850 or 3050 or 3350

• Advertisement

cormywormy wrote: »
    Hi here are some 300 series tractors under or a little above 10,000, And no they dont have seized engines.

On ebay 390 then add a tb turbo for 950 so at the most it would cost 10000 euro.

On the autotrader in euro some 390t

Autotrader, 390 add tb turbo 9450 + vat including new turbo.

in england
    7500+vat original 390t
    9500+vat original 390t
    11000 for 399

So if you really want a 390t for around 10000 you can get one.

Don't forget that those prices that you gave for england were in sterling and all have to have VAT put on top of them as well as transport costs to Ireland. Even with all this, you have no example of a tractor for €10000.
    As I said, you get what you pay for. If you get a 390/t for €10000, then its likely that it has a lot of work done. Sure if you could get them at that price, everyone would be buying them cause they were a great tractor. The going rate for a 390 or 390t in Ireland (inc Vat) is €14000 to €24000 depending on the condition of the tractor, number of hours, tyres, and whether is has a turbo or not. By importing a 390, you could save €2000, but if you buy a 390 for €12000, then that's exactly what it is - a cheap tractor. Cheaper usually isn't better - especialy when it comes to tractors.

Advertisement