Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions XV anyone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Not too sure that both Henson & BOD would actually be picked for the same tour, let alone the same team.

Difficult enough touring, without actually having two players who are very antagonistic towards each other on it as well. Didn't Henson claim that BOD gouged him in his book!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

Not too sure that both Henson & BOD would actually be picked for the same tour, let alone the same team.

Difficult enough touring, without actually having two players who are very antagonistic towards each other on it as well. Didn't Henson claim that BOD gouged him in his book!

"As I was on the ground, O'Driscoll came in and tried to 'jackal' me - a term we use to mean stealing the ball from your opponent on the ground," wrote Henson.

"But he also decided to pull my hair and tried to gouge my eye for good measure, saying 'How do you like that?' "There was a real flash of anger in his eyes. It was intense

"I still don't know what wound him up. It may have been something I'd said in the build-up."

Wouldnt believe that,sure Bod's only a soft boy that went to Blackrock eh.

No doubt if that eye had come out,he would have been the most fashionable pirate going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Goose81 wrote: »
    "As I was on the ground, O'Driscoll came in and tried to 'jackal' me - a term we use to mean stealing the ball from your opponent on the ground," wrote Henson.

"But he also decided to pull my hair and tried to gouge my eye for good measure, saying 'How do you like that?' "There was a real flash of anger in his eyes. It was intense

"I still don't know what wound him up. It may have been something I'd said in the build-up."

Wouldnt believe that,sure Bod's only a soft boy that went to Blackrock eh.

No doubt if that eye had come out,he would have been the most fashionable pirate going.

Or make great entertainment for the SA press as BOD & Henson tried to knock seven bells out of each other. :D Then you'd have the Irish lads ganging up against the Welsh lads ..... Geech would be well up for that, ok ;)

PS - as for BOD being a soft boy - I think nearly everyone is well aware what a hard lad BOD is - didn't he lay Austin Healey out on the 2001 Lions in Aus. when he was only a child! Keith Wood reckons it was the funniest thing he has ever seen happen on a Lions tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

1.Murray
    2.Ford
    3.Stevens
    4 A W Jones
    5.Poc
    6.R Jones
    7.M Williams
    8.Wallace
    9.M Blair
    10.S Jones
    11.Williams
    12.Could be anyone really depends on 6n's(anyone but henson)
    13.O'Driscoll (C)
    14.Lamont
    15.Kearney/Byrne

wallace will play 8 jones 10 drico will be cap and ill be happy so long as there is no sign of hook or henson near the squad.

Is BOD not 10 times the player henson is/was???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

twinytwo wrote: »
    Is BOD not 10 times the player henson is/was???

Nope, a better player at his prime yes, at the moment definitely not.

Would you rather Henson be playing for or against your team in a match? I for one would rather he was No12 for any team I supported and not in the opposition. Same goes for BOD.
    Your other comments about Hook smack of jealousy as again that is a player that is a sublime talent that if he adds a good dose of RoG game management will be a frighteningly good player.
    Would be interested to hear what rugby reasons you would not want either player near the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

1. Sheridan
    2. Ford/Rees/Best [desperately need a stand-out hooker in the 6N.. hartley?]
    3. Murray
    4. O'Connell
    5. Wyn-Jones/Hines
    6. Ferris/Haskell
    7. Rees/Williams/Barclay
    8. Wallace/Jones/Powell [alot of competition in the backrow]
    9. Blair
    10. Jones/Hook [whoever wales stick with in the 6N, probably Jones)
    11. Williams
    12. Henson/Hook [outside bet]
    13. O'Driscoll/Fitzgerald
    14. Bowe/Sackey
    15. Byrne/Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Webbs wrote: »
    Nope, a better player at his prime yes, at the moment definitely not.

Would you rather Henson be playing for or against your team in a match? I for one would rather he was No12 for any team I supported and not in the opposition. Same goes for BOD.
    Your other comments about Hook smack of jealousy as again that is a player that is a sublime talent that if he adds a good dose of RoG game management will be a frighteningly good player.
    Would be interested to hear what rugby reasons you would not want either player near the Lions

I have a similar opinion of both players realise they're good players, but dislike both of them cos they are hugely overrated, neither has managed to maintain form over a long period of time. I see them as the classic mecurial players, when they're good they're very good when they're bad they'll throw more intercept passes than Brett Favre.

Sparky14 wrote: »
    I have a similar opinion of both players realise they're good players, but dislike both of them cos they are hugely overrated, neither has managed to maintain form over a long period of time. I see them as the classic mecurial players, when they're good they're very good when they're bad they'll throw more intercept passes than Brett Favre.

Yeah Bod was ****e from 2001 - 2006.He is hugely overrated.

On a side note I cant recall him ever throwing an intercept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Brett Farve? He's not known as intercepturus for nothing.:pac:

• Advertisement

Brett Farve? He's not known as intercepturus for nothing.:pac:

I meant Bod :D

I meant Bod :D

Sorry if that wasn't clear, my point was that BOD is a step up from Henson and Hook in that he can pull off the amazing, but also understands when something isn't on and can play it safe instead of going for the spectacular every time. Hook's intercept pass against SA which cost them the game is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, my point was that BOD is a step up from Henson and Hook in that he can pull off the amazing, but also understands when something isn't on and can play it safe instead of going for the spectacular every time. Hook's intercept pass against SA which cost them the game is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I dont know about that. I certainly wouldnt class that penalty kick against Castres late on as playing it safe.

I dont know about that. I certainly wouldnt class that penalty kick against Castres late on as playing it safe.
    I said he's capable of doing it, not he does it every time.

That was his (Hooks) first pass in the SA game and admittedly didnt work but from then on he was the main man in inspiring the comeback.
    He has also had a similar inspiring effect on numerous Wales and Ospreys games, so yeah I'd say that he can pull off the amazing.

Henson isnt the spectacular player, his position requires strength going forward, solid defence, kicking from hand and the ability to make a break to keep the opposition guessing, he does all these excellently so is a complete No12 in my view.

As for BOD he hasnt done anything particularly amazing for a good while now, he has also in my opinion gone to far down the route of trying to play flanker and trying to get involved in rucks too often, while it may look like he is laying it on the line for Ireland and Leinster getting involved, it just means that he will be AWOL in the backline, leaving a forward v back mismatch when the oppo get the ball. Contrast this with Henson who makes the tackle leaves ot to the forwards to do the dirty work and is then able to be back in the backline to organise the defence which is his job (as it is BODs so I believe)

Webbs wrote: »
    That was his (Hooks) first pass in the SA game and admittedly didnt work but from then on he was the main man in inspiring the comeback.
    He has also had a similar inspiring effect on numerous Wales and Ospreys games, so yeah I'd say that he can pull off the amazing.

Henson isnt the spectacular player, his position requires strength going forward, solid defence, kicking from hand and the ability to make a break to keep the opposition guessing, he does all these excellently so is a complete No12 in my view.

As for BOD he hasnt done anything particularly amazing for a good while now, he has also in my opinion gone to far down the route of trying to play flanker and trying to get involved in rucks too often, while it may look like he is laying it on the line for Ireland and Leinster getting involved, it just means that he will be AWOL in the backline, leaving a forward v back mismatch when the oppo get the ball. Contrast this with Henson who makes the tackle leaves ot to the forwards to do the dirty work and is then able to be back in the backline to organise the defence which is his job (as it is BODs so I believe)

By saying BOD could do the amazing I didn't mean Hook & Henson couldn't do it as well, I meant there talent comes with more risks. Hook is an excellent attacking outhalf, but not reliable enough yet to be a top outhalf. I'd see him more of a G Murphy type player, a game changer best coming off the bench.

With Henson differences in opinion are huge, hes too highly rated by those that like him and not rated at all by those that don't. I think hes got enough talent but his questionable attitude & application make him a Jekyll Hyde player. He could well be starting for the Lions or he may not travel.

O'Driscoll has done far more in his career than both these guys put together and at the moment is still at very least on par with them. BOD may spend a tad too much time in rucks trying to steal ball (tho I think he is incredible at this), but he has never been so bad that his own fans have jeered every touch and announced himself suicidal after the game.

By saying BOD could do the amazing I didn't mean Hook & Henson couldn't do it as well, I meant there talent comes with more risks. Hook is an excellent attacking outhalf, but not reliable enough yet to be a top outhalf. I'd see him more of a G Murphy type player, a game changer best coming off the bench.

With Henson differences in opinion are huge, hes too highly rated by those that like him and not rated at all by those that don't. I think hes got enough talent but his questionable attitude & application make him a Jekyll Hyde player. He could well be starting for the Lions or he may not travel.

O'Driscoll has done far more in his career than both these guys put together and at the moment is still at very least on par with them. BOD may spend a tad too much time in rucks trying to steal ball (tho I think he is incredible at this), but he has never been so bad that his own fans have jeered every touch and announced himself suicidal after the game.

I'd be delighted to know why these two points should be considered at all when picking a player?

I'd be delighted to know why these two points should be considered at all when picking a player?

experience, consistency and temperament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Henson is useless, why is his name even being mentioned.

Henson is useless, why is his name even being mentioned.

because he is going to be in the starting Lions team and he most certainly is not useless.You either dont have a clue or need to take off the green specs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Kearney will be there. Henson is a quality player too.

experience, consistency and temperament.

I think Hensons performances in big 6nations dispell any of these concerns. Henson certainly isn in-experienced.

Are you taking the piss or am i missing something??.. as for hook and henson they are totally overrated... hook cant defend to save his life and is only average with the boot.. at least with jones or o gara at 10 you can count on them to slot the points 9 out of 10 times hell even patterson is a better 10 than hook. when exactly was the last time henson even played an continous length of time for wales.. i remember when he was outstanding but he hasnt been that in ages. As for drico even when he isnt on form the opposition still have to watch him because he is always dangerous can you say that about hook??

Henson has only started for wales only 20 times scoring only 3 tries in his career he has scored 29 conv 14 of which were in one game against japan.

Hook even though he is still young enough has something like what not even 200 points from 21 starts

Both ROG's And BOD's stats speak for themselves now you tell me who the overrated ones are

Are you taking the piss or am i missing something??.. as for hook and henson they are totally overrated... hook cant defend to save his life and is only average with the boot.. at least with jones or o gara at 10 you can count on them to slot the points 9 out of 10 times hell even patterson is a better 10 than hook. when exactly was the last time henson even played an continous length of time for wales.. i remember when he was outstanding but he hasnt been that in ages. As for drico even when he isnt on form the opposition still have to watch him because he is always dangerous can you say that about hook??

Henson has only started for wales only 20 times scoring only 3 tries in his career he has scored 29 conv 14 of which were in one game against japan.

Hook even though he is still young enough has something like what not even 200 points from 21 starts

Both ROG's And BOD's stats speak for themselves now you tell me who the overrated ones are

At least now I know that you either dont watch much rugby or have very green tinted specs if you think that Patterson is a better 10.

Hook is as No10s go a decent defender, (unlike O'Gara where Ireland and Munster have to adjust their defending positions to allow for his frailities), you seem to think that all a 10 is there for is to kick goals (this isnt american football!!). If you actually look at the stats OGara averages 10pts per game and Hook around 7ish and it is rare for a Welsh 10 to play a full game for a good while now.

Henson is not a prolific try scorer but sets up a lot for others and is exemplary as a defender (never lost a 6N game starting if I remember correctly).

I assume you are just on a windup with your posts (or you really do have little appreciation for rugby) but hey couldnt resist biting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Whilst I agree that to call BOD and ROG overrated is ridiculous considering their stats one must remember that their stats were mainly built up during periods of excellent form in the past and shouldn't be something to go by when discussing how players are playing currently

However BOD is currently top try scorer in the Heineken Cup so its still ridiculous to call him overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭monaghanbiffo

So i've had a craic at it.
    Not convinced by my effort at all really, which makes me worry about how we're gonna do.

I thinke Care could be a possiblility if he does well in his next 5 internationals. No standout scrum halfs i feel.

15. Lee Byrne
    14. D. Armitage
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    12. Gavin Henson
    11. Shane Williams
    10. Stephen Jones
    9. Danny Care
    8. David Wallace
    7. Martyn Williams
    6. Stephen Ferris
    5. Paul O'Connell
    4. Alun Wyn Jones
    3. Euan Murray
    2. Jerry Flannerey
    1. Andrew Sheridan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

So i've had a craic at it.
    Not convinced by my effort at all really, which makes me worry about how we're gonna do.

I thinke Care could be a possiblility if he does well in his next 5 internationals. No standout scrum halfs i feel.

15. Lee Byrne
    14. D. Armitage
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    12. Gavin Henson
    11. Shane Williams
    10. Stephen Jones
    9. Danny Care
    8. David Wallace
    7. Martyn Williams
    6. Stephen Ferris
    5. Paul O'Connell
    4. Alun Wyn Jones
    3. Euan Murray
    2. Jerry Flannerey
    1. Andrew Sheridan

Replace Care with Blair, Wallace with Powell, Murray with Hayes and Flannery with Best and I would more or less agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kopykat

15 Lee Byrne/Rob Kearney
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Brian O'Driscoll
    12 Gavin Henson
    11 Shane Williams
    10 Ronan O Gara
    9 Mike Blair (c)
    8 Andy Powell
    7 Martyn Williams
    6 Stephen Ferris
    5 Paul O'Connell
    4 Alun Wyn Jones
    3 Euan muarry
    2 Jerry Flannerey
    1 Andrew Sheridam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Replace Care with Blair, Wallace with Powell, Murray with Hayes and Flannery with Best and I would more or less agree.

Hayes wouldnt last 5mins against SA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Don't worry Henson haters i'm quite sure he'll do at least one thing before June to not get picked. The amount of times he's come back-played class then done something like get injured or suspended since Wales's slam in 05 is ridiculous.

Actually has Stephen Jones suggested he should be captain yet?

Advertisement