Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Dwan Issues the Million Dollar Challenge (Ivey and possibly DB and PA accept)

Options
  • 05-01-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Since the early 1990s when future Vice President Al Gore emerged from his secret bunker in the hills of Kentucky and dropped the Internet in the laps of the American youth there seems to be two constants; first, it’s now ridiculously easy to ruin the life of your ex-girlfriend, and second, really ****ing smart kids are dropping out of college to get crazy rich. Bill Gates and Paul Allen left Harvard behind to start up Microsoft and force the entire world to surf the web with Internet Explorer. Michael Dell sold computers out of his dorm room before leaving the University of Texas-Austin to figure out a way to cram a webcam into every college student’s laptop. Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook while attending Harvard so that every twenty-something guy had a distribution channel for those “private photos” their ex-girlfriend took on her webcam.

All joking aside, each one of those men took advantage of Internet technology and their wicked smarts to create an empire. Over the last three years the online poker world has watched a similar phenomenon as a teenaged Tom Dwan crushed the biggest online cash games, backed a number of players in live and online tournaments with great success, and found live tournament success of his own as he built Durrrr Inc. into a poker powerhouse. However, Dwan – perhaps known more to his countless fans by the screenname “durrrr” – might just be more confident in his abilities than Gates, Allen, Dell, and Zuckerberg combined. That’s why he’s throwing down the gauntlet to the rest of the poker world to prove he’s the best – and he’s willing to lay anybody who thinks otherwise a better than even money price

“I’m making this heads-up challenge to the world. Anyone can accept. Four tables, minimum of $200/$400, and I’ll put up $1.5 million to their $500,000. We play 50,000 hands minimum and if they end up a dollar after rake they keep the side money or whatever. So basically, if you and I played and you won a dollar, you would get my $1.5 million and if I won a dollar I would win your $500,000.

“So I’m giving a million dollars free if anyone thinks they can do it.”

Does anyone think that there is a realistic chance of someone taking this challenge? Its a pretty sick bit of self PR IMO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

He's said he won't play Phil Galfond. Just some useless info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Why don't ye stake Marty in and teach the pup some manners, Emerald Isle Style!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

lee_arama wrote: »

Thatsa good idea we should all have a whip around and back marty in it, like the pros in america do against those ultra rich guys that come to vegas and want to play a pro, the way marty has been playing and running would be super to watch!!

Could Marty play 4 tables of HU??

Although it'd be great for Boyle's to host it... :p

Go on Ciaran, you know it makes sense, Fly Durrrr over and you's would be massive in one foul swoop...

lee_arama wrote: »
    Ste05 wrote: »

Go on Ciaran, you know it makes sense, Fly Durrrr over and you's would be massive in one foul swoop...

We could get him a coach! this isn't as far fetched as it seems i was reading about this story on 2+2 the othr night and they are all spec on who would take up the offer, alot were saying that phil ivey and PA wouldnt waste there time cause 50k hands is a lot give the odds thats he laying, but they were saying that the like of the duces cracked or the card runner boys could pool there money together.... so a boards player doing this wouldnt be totally out of the question

although u have to factor in the play money, 500k is only the side bet he has to have a stack to play 50k hands against durr how much would u need? how long is a piece of string???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Does anyone think that there is a realistic chance of someone taking this challenge? Its a pretty sick bit of self PR IMO

Its excellent PR on his part. Although I think in general he has an edge on most of the people who may be willing to take hm up on this, I feel giving 1.5m/500k is madness. But he has the money and seems to be ultra confident in himself so good luck to him.

Secondly I cant see anybody taking him up the offer. 50,000 hands is an awful lot and most of those top pros could make a million alot easier and quicker than playing "durr" over 50,000 hands h/u. Maybe antonius will be mad enough but I dont know. I really hope it happens tho as it would be really interesting to watch.

Does anyone know if this is open to just 1 player or if 4 people take him up on the offer he will play all 4 etc???

Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Marty could quite easily play 4 tables but it might get in the way of his holiday!

Whoever takes up the offer will get massive PR out of it , this is something that maybe Ivey or PA wouldnt need but the likes of Trex313 , UrinDanger might want to benefit from. Now if Dwan was to get a friend to play on a shill account and win it (and obviously not get caught) the publicity for him would be massive and best of all free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

nice way for him to have guaranteed action for 50k hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Marty could quite easily play 4 tables but it might get in the way of his holiday!

Whoever takes up the offer will get massive PR out of it , this is something that maybe Ivey or PA wouldnt need but the likes of Trex313 , UrinDanger might want to benefit from. Now if Dwan was to get a friend to play on a shill account and win it (and obviously not get caught) the publicity for him would be massive and best of all free!

Yeah, I was thinking the most likely candidates would be either Trex313 or Urindanger. Especially considering they're brothers who live together, they could just take turns against him.

The CR and DC boys would be a bit out of their league here.

Now if Dwan was to get a friend to play on a shill account and win it (and obviously not get caught) the publicity for him would be massive and best of all free!

Ciaran, thats dishonest! im being to belive online poker might be rigged :D

also u couldnt call galway a hoilday! its like a surburn of lucan!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Al gore invented the Internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

In my opinion the man for the job has to be Arron Jones 'aejones' from leggo poker. The guy has a truly sick poker mind but I don't think he is quite bankrolled yet for the nosebleed's (if anybody actually is).
    He would probably not feel too comfortable at these limits. I think Durrrr has pretty much played everyone at the nosebleed stakes and shown that he has a considerable edge most of the time. Can't really think of anybody who could possible have an edge over him. The guy is a poker machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

DeadMoney wrote: »
    The guy has a truly sick poker mind but I don't think he is quite bankrolled yet for the nosebleed's (if anybody actually is).

I couldn't believe Benyamine only has 1/6th of himself alot of the times when playing these games.
    Benyamine wrote:
    I might have a million dollars in my account but it’s in six pieces. I own a sixth and five other friends own a sixth too. I have lost 500k pots, but because I only own a sixth of it I only really lost 80k. I wouldn’t be able to a lose a million if my bankroll was 2m. I don’t have tons of money, I have only a little bit.

http://www.insidepokermag.co.uk/poker/players/7599/living_the_high_life.html

Opr

It's a pity Johnny Lodden busted the bad_ip roll as he was certainly crazy enough to do something like this. I think he's a lot more sensible now though having learned a few lessons of the true value of money etc. There really aren't many high stakes players out there who share the same fearless disregard for money that durrrr does.

DeadMoney wrote: »
    It's a pity Johnny Lodden busted the bad_ip roll as he was certainly crazy enough to do something like this. I think he's a lot more sensible now though having learned a few lessons of the true value of money etc. There really aren't many high stakes players out there who share the same fearless disregard for money that durrrr does.
    He'd probably get hammered though...

He'd probably get hammered though...

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

pgodkin wrote: »
    so a boards player doing this wouldnt be totally out of the question

This produced a genuine lol out of me

cooker3 wrote: »

out of context, :mad:

read post, meant the pooling together and backing one player to do it! i do admit we'd prob all have to go broke to do it but would be fun!:D

pgodkin wrote: »
    out of context, :mad:

read post, meant the pooling together and backing one player to do it! i do admit we'd prob all have to go broke to do it but would be fun!:D
    It's still pretty funny on alot of levels... (a) how in then name of god do you think we could get $4.5m+ together to play the game and even that's probably not enough; and (b) who do you think we could possibly put up against Durrr who'd even be close to neutral EV, there's only about 5 or 6 players in the world who could even attempt this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

What about Amaru?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

jesus, slow down a bit lads. I know Durrr is a pretty good player n all, but to say he has a big advantage against all but 5 or 6 players is a little ridiculous.
    a 'big' advantage in poker is pretty hard to come by (obviously it does depend on your definition of big).
    I'd say that, from a purely financial point of view (like, not incluing the 'implied odds' Durrr gets from PR etc.), it cannot be a +EV gamble for Durrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

lrzluzak, PA and the dang brothers would be the only ones id imagine could do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

There would be a couple on some of the Euro sites too, who are probably just as experienced multi-tabling HU nosebleeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

what lossrate do you need to have to make this a neutral EV bet? I'd guess it's around -.5ptbb/100 but I could be way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

cooker3 wrote: »

You should be confident after your recent tournament score, gamble I say

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

semibluff wrote: »
    lrzluzak, PA and the dang brothers would be the only ones id imagine could do this

Ziigmund or Guy Laliberté too maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Jesus, I have a huge dislike for durrr. Don't know what it is about the guy but he makes me want to punch him every time he opens his mouth. Maybe it's the fact he's an annoying git, or a millionaire or maybe it's the fact he is 1000 times the poker player I am. Maybe just maybe.;)

His eyebrows do it for me! And his god damn voice! He sounds like he's speaking through the end of a traffic cone. :D Not to mention the fact that he is 21 and has pretty much achieved all of his poker goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

The wanker, achieving his goals. That's why i love being Irish we hate other people succeeding. The bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Advertisement