Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody have any descent photos of the Rail Tunnel under Phoenix Park?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I'd just like to say thanks to all those who have commented on my Eiretrains website
    Alot of work gone into that. Never saw the Baltinglass station before - it's amazing that it is so well preserved. Fair play, very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

shamwari wrote: »
    Four tracking Connolly to Howth Junction / Malahide isn't going to happen I'm afraid.

Four tracking a green field site is a lot easier, my "dream" solution would be to make Metro North a heavy rail solution and 4 track it from the city to the airport/swords and then link it back to the northern line above rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yes, but that still leaves about 10 reasons not to do it and to build the Interconnector instead.
    Did you never think of as well as the interconnector.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

back on topic - there are good birds-eye pics of the PP tunnel on maps.live.com:

http://tinyurl.com/bsofvv

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Good photos here, but I wouldn't recommend taking them from where they did. Moving trains, trespass on the railway and all that:

Barely there Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

csd wrote: »
    Good photos here, but I wouldn't recommend taking them from where they did. Moving trains, trespass on the railway and all that:

Barely there Ireland

Thanks! That's the most of it I've ever seen. I've been tempted to walk it at night but never bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Anyone know how it was built? Cut and cover?
    s11-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

IIMII wrote: »
    Anyone know how it was built? Cut and cover?

It looks bored. Definitely not C&C, they'd have had to dig down about 20M through the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I grew up right beside Glasnevin Junction so we used to play (mental I know) around the railway lines there, we'd often walk through Cabra along the tracks etc. We never quite made it as far as the Phoenix Park but there is at least one other small tunnel on that line just beyond the Cemetery that takes it under the Canal.

How many times I've wished they'd put a commuter station at Glasnevin Junction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Draupnir wrote: »
    there is at least one other small tunnel on that line just beyond the Cemetery that takes it under the Canal.

That'd presumably be here:
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swv9h8gg8jpy&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29503846&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Are there any passenger services that use this tunnel these days ? Other than match going trains, etc.. iirc 12 or 13 years ago one of the trains from Galway on Sunday afternoon went on over to Connolly after dropping most people off at Heuston. Used to get that train from Galway regularly and even though I was living down near Connolly at the time I never bothered to stay on it as it was quicker to get the bus (train had a bit of a wait in Heuston iirc).

• Advertisement

zing wrote: »
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swv9h8gg8jpy&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29503846&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Are there any passenger services that use this tunnel these days ? Other than match going trains, etc.. iirc 12 or 13 years ago one of the trains from Galway on Sunday afternoon went on over to Connolly after dropping most people off at Heuston. Used to get that train from Galway regularly and even though I was living down near Connolly at the time I never bothered to stay on it as it was quicker to get the bus (train had a bit of a wait in Heuston iirc).

That's the one, very easily reached from the cemetery (not sure how legal it is though, it's the guts of 20 years since I ventured there). From what I remember, the only trains I ever saw using those two lines were cargo trains and/or CIE service vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That's the spur to Docklands, goes along the canal, past croke park at the canal end, and on past connolly to the docls. There's a big fence around the outside of the cemetery wall to prevent access. I@m sure if you REALLY wanted to get down there there's nothing to stop it though

As I said, its 15+ years ago but when I was growing up in that area, it was very straightforward to get onto the tracks there and go for a wander. The section were the Maynooth line crosses above the line that heads towards the park was particularly overgrown with huge trees when I was a kid.

There was also a very big fox living up there at the time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

From the noise i hear on friday and saturday evenings, i can only assume that there's a way via the train station / warehouses at broombridge. It must be at least big enough to get a motorbike and about a dozen drunk teenagers through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

zing wrote: »

Many years ago there Galway trains ran from connolly via heuston.
    Today it's is only used for freight ( very little left) trains to north wall yard , empty trains from Connolly to inchicore and gas specials

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Many years ago there Galway trains ran from connolly via heuston.
    Today it's is only used for freight ( very little left) trains to north wall yard , empty trains from Connolly to inchicore and gas specials

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Bluetonic wrote: »
    :eek:

Bloody predictive text on me phone make that GAA specials

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bloody predictive text on me phone make that GAA specials
    Posting to Boards from yer mobile. Tsk tsk :)

Advertisement