Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody have any descent photos of the Rail Tunnel under Phoenix Park?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Cant find any pictures but this video might be some use to you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvgt_02WQv4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

lynchiered wrote: »

Will ascent ones not do you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Will ascent ones not do you? ;)

Was thinking the same when I saw the title :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Microsoft Live Maps has good birdseye views of both approaches to the tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

lynchiered wrote: »

why??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

HonalD wrote: »
    Cracking site! :)

A1 site amazing the amount of rail in Ireland,
    I was kinda looking for a view inside the Tunnel just to get a idea of the type of build and condition its in. I've read so many reports on the tunnel but seen no pictures, Its like C.I.E are hiding something in there lol (Joke)

luzon wrote: »
    why??????????

Why not lol,
    Do you no something we don't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

luzon wrote: »
    why??????????

Because it's interesting
    HonalD wrote: »
    Cracking site! :)

+1 just spent the last hour browsing photos on it. Is it just me though or is Dun Laoghaire station not under "D" or "M" for Mallin. I can't find it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it just me though or is Dun Laoghaire station not under "D" or "M" for Mallin. I can't find it anyway.

Seems to be a few others missing too - Booterstown, Blackrock etc.
    Fantastic site though.

spurious wrote: »
    Seems to be a few others missing too - Booterstown, Blackrock etc.
    Fantastic site though.

If you have photo's of those stations you should e-mail them to the site and get them up online

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

+1 just spent the last hour browsing photos on it. Is it just me though or is Dun Laoghaire station not under "D" or "M" for Mallin. I can't find it anyway.

Can't find a lot of the Stations near Dun Laoghaire either, seems odd :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect the owner (he's posted on here before I'm sure) just hasn't got around to photographing them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Unfortunately this piece of subway under the Phoenix park may be the nearest thing we will ever get to the Dublin Metro. :mad:

Remove the cobwebs, give it a lick of paint, add a few lights and open a brand new underground station close to the cross commemorating the 30th anniversary Pope John Pauls visit in 1979. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

the tunnel goes nowhere near the cross.

it goes roughly beneath the roundabout before the zoo on the town side, beside the wellington monument.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

I'd just like to say thanks to all those who have commented on my Eiretrains website, I'm glad so many people (who may not be even into railways in general) find it interesting and continue to check up on it every so often, it's very encouraging! With regard to some stations being missing, its simply because I have yet to photograph them, particularly in the south Dublin area, which I hope to be doing shortly.

I photographed Phoenix Park tunnel from Heuston Station's platform 10, which unfortunately you can no longer access. I have to say I've never seen a photo of the Cabra entrance, it sort of out of public view.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Brilliant site, very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

hobochris wrote: »
    Cant find any pictures but this video might be some use to you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvgt_02WQv4

Thanks for posting that, it really goes to show how little clearance there is for adding overhead power cables into that tunnel. Totally unsuitable for DART trains.

The Delhi metro is using a solid overhead rail (at 25kV!) to power their metro in tunnels. That reduces the clearance required compared to catenary. Not necessarily a solution for this though, especially as some of the biggest challenges are at either end of the tunnel rather than in the tunnel itself, not to mention the new looking developments at the southern portal end who wouldn't be impressed by the conversion of a positioning line to a frequent service line. Normally I wouldn't have much sympathy but who would blame them when IE have sworn blind they'd never do it :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dead air wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that, it really goes to show how little clearance there is for adding overhead power cables into that tunnel. Totally unsuitable for DART trains.

The tunnel leading to Dalkey used to be like that and they lowered the tracks. No reason they couldn't do that at Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Eiretrains wrote: »
    I'd just like to say thanks to all those who have commented on my Eiretrains website, I'm glad so many people (who may not be even into railways in general) find it interesting and continue to check up on it every so often, it's very encouraging! With regard to some stations being missing, its simply because I have yet to photograph them, particularly in the south Dublin area, which I hope to be doing shortly.

I photographed Phoenix Park tunnel from Heuston Station's platform 10, which unfortunately you can no longer access. I have to say I've never seen a photo of the Cabra entrance, it sort of out of public view.:)

Keep up the good work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dead air wrote: »
    They are also ways and means to power DART from the ground from this section of track if they were serious about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They are also ways and means to power DART from the ground from this section of track if they were serious about it.
    Yes, but that still leaves about 10 reasons not to do it and to build the Interconnector instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It would be nice if they'd do both - build the Interconnector for the DART with full 4-tracking as far as Celbridge, and use the PPT to send commuter trains from Naas and Kildare to Conolly, which would have space freed up by the less DARTs.

On a related note, how feasible is 4-tracking the northern line as far as Howth Junction, or Malahide? Would it be cheaper to build a single-bore dual-track tunnel from Connolly to just north of Howth Junction for Enterprise and commuter - isn't most of the cost of a metro tunnel in the underground stations? I suppose this might require electric Enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Definitely, lowering the tracks to convert it to allow Dart trains would work (but this wouldn't help extend the Dart to Balbriggan/Hazelhatch). There is however some general presumptions that all IE have to do is resignal a couple of lines at Heuston and Connolly and we have an underground Dart ready to go.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen if it meant out of service trains could be routed away from interconnector for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Phoenix park tunnel is not too exciting I'm afraid I would say it's 1/2 mile to a mile long curved to the left very dark with lights that can be turned on by ctc.
    It has a count down on the wall to let drivers know when it's ending so they don't pass the signal at the exit beside platform 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Eiretrains wrote: »

credit to you on a fantastic web site never knew it existed until today:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    On a related note, how feasible is 4-tracking the northern line as far as Howth Junction, or Malahide? Would it be cheaper to build a single-bore dual-track tunnel from Connolly to just north of Howth Junction for Enterprise and commuter - isn't most of the cost of a metro tunnel in the underground stations? I suppose this might require electric Enterprises.

Four tracking Connolly to Howth Junction / Malahide isn't going to happen I'm afraid. The land corridor required to do this doesn't exist, and the cost of buying up or CPO'ing the necessary houses and back gardens makes would to costly to the point of being laughable. There is scope to add additional rail here and there though and these opprtunties lie north of Howth Junction. Again unfortunately, there have been some strategic locations where recent development has taken place right up the side of the tracks, which kills stone dead any means of expanding capacity. Near Portmarnock station is a case in point.

My big concern though going forward is how the DART extension to Balbriggan post-interconnector is going to fair out in terms of how it will interact with other traffic. Certainly Irish rail need to work this out properly as to how they are going to integrate inner DART (from Howth), outer DART from Balbriggan, Commuter service Ex Drog / Dndlk and Enterprise services. Getting this to work cohesively will require some out of the box thinking, and this isn't Irish Rail's strong point when you look the the current mess that is DART / Commuter rail and how badly they all currently conflict with one another.

In my humble opinion, if they don't get this right then all that they are going to do is to push the current rail gridlock in the city centre out into the North County.

Advertisement