Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographic Projects for 2009 ?

Options
  • 05-01-2009 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭

Hi All and Happy new year

Just wondering if anyone has any particular projects or photos they are looking for in 2009 ?

Myself, I am looking for the following:

1) M1 Suspension bridge in Drogheda: Got a few shots of this a few years back and got them printed for my sister. Saw them over xmas and was totally embarassed at how bad they are. I've been sussing out angles and sunrise/sunset positions and have now to figure out how to gett hose angles without breaking any laws :D

2) 4 Seasons image of a field. Show the field depicting the 4 seasons. Have the field chosen

3) Communion Portraits. Have one in my house this year and have been asked by friends to do some pre-communion portraits. Have to research good non-corny poses

4) Develop a good family portrait style

A few more ideas in mind that I don't want to say too much about ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

1) Having bought my first proper sort of lighting equipment (Calumet Genesis 200 2-light kit), I plan to get a SB-600 and some Cactus triggers, and with my Sigma 530DG get some strobist stuff done this year. :)

2) Really would like to get some decent car photography done this year. Problems though - Lack of decent cars to photograph / Lack of interesting location / Lack of knowledge. (boardsies - you're welcome to help me here!)

3) Portraits/etc. 2009 needs more of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Grad show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL only one big project this year, getting married and I cannot even take photos of it myself (I have been warned that I cannot touch a camera on the day :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Really would like to get some decent car photography done this year. Problems though - Lack of decent cars to photograph / Lack of interesting location / Lack of knowledge. (boardsies - you're welcome to help me here!)

If you are interested in Off Road vehicles in a forest setting, then I may be able to help here.

My project is co-ordinating a group to photograph the Kilmainham Gaol over the next couple of months. Then getting those images sorted into an Exhibition in the Gaol which opens in late March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

challenge where are you based? If you let me do the car thing with you I could prob borrow a few cars, merc audi and bmw, relatively new ones. Could push at a flash sports car too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

CabanSail wrote: »
    My project is co-ordinating a group to photograph the Kilmainham Gaol over the next couple of months. Then getting those images sorted into an Exhibition in the Gaol which opens in late March.

If this is something open to Boards.ie peops I would love to get a chance to take a few shots in there. Let me know if so.

challenge where are you based? If you let me do the car thing with you I could prob borrow a few cars, merc audi and bmw, relatively new ones. Could push at a flash sports car too.

I'm in Westmeath (moate to be specific). I'm open to any and all suggestions/help with this one. Could use all the help I could get. Talk about having no clue! :D
    Cabansail: hmm.. any more info?

Actually there's one other thing I forgot (dunno how..) - Leaving Cert. Fun fun.
    Bollix
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Might be worth throwing a post over on the Motors forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well I'm good to get a lend of acouple of nice cars, pity I dont own them myself:( I'm going rally racing soon so hope to get really cool shots then.

Calina wrote: »
    Might be worth throwing a post over on the Motors forum.

That may get a few cars wrangled up (so yes, it would be worth it) - Still leaves the photography aspect of it. Unforutnatly car photography isn't something that's widely covered informtion/tutorial wise. You can find more tips for taking portraits than you'll know what to do with, but I'm having trouble finding 5 for car photography... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Stop worrying and just take the pictures tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

That may get a few cars wrangled up (so yes, it would be worth it) - Still leaves the photography aspect of it. Unforutnatly car photography isn't something that's widely covered informtion/tutorial wise. You can find more tips for taking portraits than you'll know what to do with, but I'm having trouble finding 5 for car photography... :(

yes, well kitesurfing is the same. I bought kite magazines and looked at other people's photographs.

From my dim memories of being a car nerd, the photography in Car was probably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

gandalf wrote: »
    If this is something open to Boards.ie peops I would love to get a chance to take a few shots in there. Let me know if so.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,622 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

My Paddy's day book and part time photography Masters (if accepted) will keep me busy photography wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

gandalf wrote: »

Unfortunately not. It was DCC that was given the permission to access the Gaol. I organised a trip there in January 08 after a few months of negotiation & provision of insurance documents etc. We were allowed a party of 10 people that time. A few months later I invited the Director of the Gaol to the club to do a commentary on the images taken. He was quite impressed with the quality of the showcase & this project has developed from that.

There are a few Boardies who are also DCC members in the group.

Calina wrote: »
    yes, well kitesurfing is the same. I bought kite magazines and looked at other people's photographs.
    All that does is make me slightly depressed about it. Seeing awesome shots and going "right so, no chance of being able to get those".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

any more details on the book Baz? Sounds interesting

similar to the boards book, thats where i got idea, except solo - 50 images of since I have been doing my thing - its difficult finalising final 50 - and i have to send it off tomorrow - as i'm away Wednesday for awhile - and want to launch it for Paddys day -

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hopelessOne

A photoblog with the aim of publishing one photo a day for 2009. I can't take a picture every day but I'm hoping to publish more recent stuff from each weekend (currently, it's photos from last year as I'm sick at the moment).

I'd also really like to build up a portfolio of "The Life of Irish Mammals", particularly foxes, hare and deer. Not going to be easy though. I want to juxtapose images of them in natural and urban environments, and how we usually see them: dead on the roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

All that does is make me slightly depressed about it. Seeing awesome shots and going "right so, no chance of being able to get those".

That spurs me on to make better pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

phew....ummmm the only project set in stone is my mini trip to Rome.So i hope to get a few nice ones there....bar that Ill do anything that would help me inprove basically.(even if that menas nicking ideas from fellow boardies....hehehe)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

1) M1 Suspension bridge in Drogheda: Got a few shots of this a few years back and got them printed for my sister. Saw them over xmas and was totally embarassed at how bad they are. I've been sussing out angles and sunrise/sunset positions and have now to figure out how to gett hose angles without breaking any laws :D
    A lot of the photo developers have pictures of the Boyne bridge in one form or another on show around Drogheda.

One which I saw a while back caught the sunrise from the road that goes under the bridge and got the river Boyne at the same time. I've also seen night shots from a similar position which I've marked below.

99398317of0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

thebaz wrote: »
    My Paddy's day book and part time photography Masters (if accepted) will keep me busy photography wise.

Barry, what course is that by the way... and good luck with the book

Oh, and only one project this year... improve! More specifically my landscapes and actually getting up early enough to get decent shots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

don't really have a project as such, just to try and get out and shoot as much as i possibly can with the leaving cert looming.

also, to stop using the LR presets i have so much and do each photo differently in photoshop.

to try and get more people and night time shots.

to get a photo i'll be really happy with for the next boards book.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

:D ^^^^^^ what she said apart from the leaving cert bit!!! That was done ....mmmmm ...about 13 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

thebaz wrote: »

I'm certain you'll get accepted baz and ace it, your portfolio speaks volumes on its own already :)

No projects for me, other than actually going out and taking pictures.. well ok, maybe one project...... hoping to go to canada in may / june and drive from calgary to vancouver and document my journey into the rockies :D

theres one of my projects nearly done - just before i depart

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/527709

won't get rich on the profits - but its a nice personal aim - (probaly a few typos and other things I'll see when its delivered in print )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Looks very good Barry, best of luck with it.

As I was one of the first to buy a framed photo, put me down for the first copy as well.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Haven't figured out mine yet but red mum recently posted a link to photojojo's new year's photo resolutions.

So off ye go, anyone (like me) that hasn't yet decided and get yerself a project or multiple projects for you to commit to. And of course post it when you are settled so that we can check up on you later in the year :)

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »
    Looks very good Barry, best of luck with it.

As I was one of the first to buy a framed photo, put me down for the first copy as well.

T.
    Cheers Covey will be officially available on March 17 , but leaving it available online, even though I havn't proof read the hard copy (Limited editions and all that !)

Advertisement