Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W910i

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Common problem. I know three people with that phone on O2, all were replaced. The phone is an old model now but I presume they now ship handsets with firmware updated by default. Shame on SE for releasing a decent handset with crippling software bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

Brought mine back today. A screw fell out in between the two slidey bits - certainly not through misuse. I was just closing the phone after a phone call and it wouldn't close. The same thing happened to my boyfriend's phone too, but he prized the screw out. I wanted to get it sent off in case it effected my warranty. It's being sent off to be fixed now. Two weeks or so wait. Great.

The girl that I was dealing with swapped my sim card because she said that it was very old (I've had it since about 2002 I think) and it could be causing the problem. The phone'll be getting a software update too hopefully. I'll update you when I get it back. Told her about our discussion on this forum about the phone and the problems of my friends that also have the phone. Fantastic.

Oh, and I didn't throw the phone at them! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rikki2

1. I lost a screw out of mine aswell. It got caught between the slide faces like yours.
    2. I've also lost the trim logo at the back and the cover off the memory card. The phone is only 8 months old.
    3. It shuts down approx 10 times a day. It shut down twice last night on a call. I'm sick of it. I bought it from a meteor shop and have had it unlocked as I've changed over to O2 because of coverage problems. So its not down to the network.
    4. It also let me down this morning as the alarm never went off as it was going through one of its "moments".
    5. The keypad is permanently lit up.
    6. The battery life is approx 6 hours. Its fully charged overnight and totally dead by 3pm the following day.
    Basically this phone is a piece of S#it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Same with the K850i. Bought it SIM Free (pre-recession) and its so buggy... turns off randomly about once a day, slow, today the hash key has died on it. I'm fed up of it at this stage.

As much as I love SE phones, the crap that gets past their screening process is shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Don't know if it's been said in this thread but this often happens due to it switching from 2G to 3G

Go to Settings->Connectivity->Mobile networks->GSM/3G networks->GSM only.

I think that greatly reduces the problem.

The sales assistant said that to me, I thought the problem was fixed so I posted what you said in this thread and on a UK phone review website then a week later my phone froze again. So that doesn't work unless you are lucky. My phone only freezes when I am listening to music which is bad as that was one of the reasons I got it.

About you are all saying you mentioned our discussion on the forum to the sales assistants, I mentioned the bad online reviews to the sales assistant who refused to give me a replacement and he said that I shouldn't be depending on their opinions and he didn't believe me. He also said the most famous bull**** that the w910i won best phone of the year. If sales assistant say to you that nobody has returned a such phone, it is obviously lies, they are going to tell you bull**** in order to sell the product. I learned my lesson to depend on online reviews and not buy the phone if more then two people complain about it. I heard the W595 is good, haven't seen any bad reviews for it so if it goes down in price I might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Oh, and I didn't throw the phone at them! Haha.

Damn. :( lol

Okay. So I got my phone back Saturday gone. They resolved the slide issue (they probably just took the screw out and left it like that). I haven't had any issues with the phone turning off or anything yet. Yet being the operative word there. The second it does it again, I'm gonna go straight to the phone shop to bring it back. I have to say though, fair play to the Meteor shop. The girl that took in the phone for me was really nice and they got it back to me in a week and a half. Pretty good turn around. I told her about the thread that we have going here and she was surprised to hear that so many people had problems with the phone. Maybe it's just a case of people not bringing them back when they have issues with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Maybe it's just a case of people not bringing them back when they have issues with them?

Yep, I'd say thats it. I'm just too lazy or not bothered to bring it back.

The other day it reset like 6 times in a row :eek:

Ahh, what a phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Just an update. Brought my phone back today to be repaired for the same fault. Sigma Telecom sheet states 'units have 90 day warranty cover for the specified repair'. i've brought it back 60 ish days after the last repair went in. asked the lady behind the counter if i was entitled to a replacement phone and she said after the 3rd or 4th time. what's my standing on this? am i entitled to a replacement now? didn't know if i could fight my corner as i wasn't able to quote consumer law off the top of my head. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

If the phone is faulty after the 3rd repair attempt you are entitled to a replacement.
    How many times have you had the phone repaired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

Exact same problem.

Phone freezes constantly. Switched off every 10 minuets for 3 days when i got home from holidays.

If I select GSM only I get no reception at all. Where I live in Cork has decent 3G. Am I the only one who thinks that its ridiuclous that they suggest turning off 3g on a 3g fone to make it run better?? its sold as a 3g fone ff's!! Heres a 3G Fone, but you shouldnt use 3G?!?!?

One day my phone wouldnt close. had to force it. scrapes and gashes all over. screw fell out. missing bottom left cover part of slider.

how can they get away with selling faulty phones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Jenvict

Have The Exact Same Problem But Mine Freezes About 30-40 Times A Day.

VERY ANNOYING.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rikki2

Exact same problem.

Phone freezes constantly. Switched off every 10 minuets for 3 days when i got home from holidays.

If I select GSM only I get no reception at all. Where I live in Cork has decent 3G. Am I the only one who thinks that its ridiuclous that they suggest turning off 3g on a 3g fone to make it run better?? its sold as a 3g fone ff's!! Heres a 3G Fone, but you shouldnt use 3G?!?!?

One day my phone wouldnt close. had to force it. scrapes and gashes all over. screw fell out. missing bottom left cover part of slider.

how can they get away with selling faulty phones??
    I left mine back in with Meteor, they sent it off and it was back 2 weeks later with the same faults. I again left it back in and they replaced it after 2 weeks with another Sony Ericsson 595 which is supposed to be the Dogs Bo****ks, I put it on Done deal and got 100 euro for it. I've no confidence left in Those phones and will stick to Nokia in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The W595 is a much better phone. I had my W910 exchanged for one about 2 months ago. Not a bother with the W595.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

chrislad wrote: »
    The W595 is a much better phone. I had my W910 exchanged for one about 2 months ago. Not a bother with the W595.

I had some freezing and turning off with the w595 but a firmware upgrade fully fixed that :D

billbond4 wrote: »
    If the phone is faulty after the 3rd repair attempt you are entitled to a replacement.
    How many times have you had the phone repaired?

This was the 2nd time in for repair but was within the 90 days warranty with the repair people. Got a phone call yesterday to tell me that they were gonna replace my phone. Got a brand new w595 with all the business in the box. Sorted. Happy outcome and that. Hopefully. If it goes haywire again though I'll be straight back up. Next time I'm just gonna get a Samsung or Nokia or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eugenedonaghy

I have the same problem with my Sony Ericsson w910i loves to reset itself software updates work for a couple of days at a time then the whole reset ting starts all over again. going to leave my phone into O2 again and demand a replacement its on its 3rd repair (one at carphone warehouse and one at o2) and still not working

On another note if I just got it de-branded(taking o2 software off) will it work better

Eugene

Advertisement