Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson W910i

Options
  • 04-01-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I've had my W910i for about 5 months now (have had 2 previous Sony Ericssons). It was great for the first two weeks, but soon after it started turning off and on sporadically. It's gradually gotten worse and it now does it at least twice a day. I brought it back to the Meteor shop when it started doing it expecting an immediate replacement as everyone else I know that has the phone (5 other people) have been having the same problems with it. They wanted to send it off for repair but as I had work commitments, I had to have the phone with me and no replacement was being offered. I read on other internet forums that I should try updating the software as it was a software glitch with the phones, but I tried it and it didn't work. It's started to say 'Inactive SIM' after I send text messages now and doesn't send them. I imagine that if I bring the phone back for repair they'll have it for 2 weeks and just update the software as I have already done. I'm sure Meteor and Sony Ericsson are aware of this problem as in 5 months the price of the phone has dropped by €100.

Has anyone else had trouble with this phone and what have you done? What has been the outcome of a repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Bring the phone to MPRC in Sandyford, they usually will have it back to you in a day or two. That's where the phone companies send them anyway. No proof of purchase required (they work off manufactures date).

Do you have NO other phone you can put the SIM in to for a day or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Messed Up Mind

I brought it back to the Meteor shop when it started doing it expecting an immediate replacement as everyone else I know that has the phone (5 other people) have been having the same problems with it. They wanted to send it off for repair but as I had work commitments, I had to have the phone with me and no replacement was being offered.

As I said before I did bring it back, receipt and box with all accessories in tow expecting a replacement as I had only had it 2 weeks at the time, but they said they had to send it off the verify that I was having problems with it.

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare phone. We send old phones to Jack&Jill the moment we get new ones. I'll try that place in Sandyford over the next few days.

Has anyone else had trouble with the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Having the exact same problem. Is there a problem with the software with these phones? I can update that, im not in Dublin though so that place isnt an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm having the same problem recently, and discovered today that a
    text the phone said it sent at 5PM never arrived.
    I had some texts that refused to send last week, but this is the
    first time one that looked like it had gone didn't arrive.
    Last week's problem needed a restart to fix.
    I find when the phone goes wrong on me that if I take out the
    M2 data card and push it back in, it usually sorts itself out.
    I tried this after noticing the wallpaper had changed on my phone
    after a restart, and realising the wallpaper was on the external card.

I've had the phone since last May at least, and have had almost no problems
    with it until now. It's the fourth Sony Ericsson I've had in a row, and I've loved
    them, but if I'm replacing it, it'll be with something else, as the camera is woeful
    compared to the one I had on my K750 3 years ago, and Sony Ericsson are being
    really slow and expensive adding Wifi to any of their phones. Also I've bought
    peripherals (a real flash) for the older phone which were supposed to work with all
    future phones with the same socket (which has now been moved to the side of the phone).
    The flash didn't even work on the K550 which came out the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

Exact same problem here, sporadic turnings off and freezings, though almost all of the time it's when i'm using the phone, not when it's idle. I'm tempted to bring it back, but practically every phone I've had has some problem or other. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

patzer117 wrote: »
    Exact same problem here, sporadic turnings off and freezings, though almost all of the time it's when i'm using the phone, not when it's idle. I'm tempted to bring it back, but practically every phone I've had has some problem or other. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation though

I used a W910i for several days and experienced the same restarting issue. It also happened on my K850i; I've had two and they're both the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Oh god I'm having the exact same problem...

It freezes then goes black and vibrates and turns itself on and off!! Bought mine in november and I'm really outraged that it's doing this!! :mad::mad:

Is there anything we can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anyone know where I can unlock one of these in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I got this phone for Christmas just gone and had the same problem you all have it is fixable so please read!

I brought the phone back to O2 and told them it is known all over the internet and even states in wikipedia that this phone freezes. The salesman was a great help and actually FIXED MY PHONE. He said that it is a common problem in phones and it is fixable! To stop your w910i freezing PLEASE READ - Go to SETTINGS then go to CONNECTIVITY in that menu go to MOBILE NETWORKS then GSM/3G NETWORKS and click GSM ONLY. Eversince the salesman done that, my phone hasn't crashed and has been perfect and that was a month ago.

I hope that solves your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rikki2

I got this phone for Christmas just gone and had the same problem you all have it is fixable so please read!

I brought the phone back to O2 and told them it is known all over the internet and even states in wikipedia that this phone freezes. The salesman was a great help and actually FIXED MY PHONE. He said that it is a common problem in phones and it is fixable! To stop your w910i freezing PLEASE READ - Go to SETTINGS then go to CONNECTIVITY in that menu go to MOBILE NETWORKS then GSM/3G NETWORKS and click GSM ONLY. Eversince the salesman done that, my phone hasn't crashed and has been perfect and that was a month ago.

I hope that solves your problems.
    Thanks for that Butterscotch, I've been having the same problem since I bought my phone last August. I was moving into a new place at the time so I just ignored it. I'd to call the Guards one night as I caught 3 lads trying to steal from my place and the phone shut down!!!
    I was just going to buy another one but I'll try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

What has been the outcome of a repair?

As some of the other boardsies have said. Bring it to Mprc is Sandyford Ind Est and they will have it done within a day maybe even an hour (Depends really on how busy they are) Get an engineers report. If still the same problem bring it back again. You might have to get a hold onto 3 engineer reports and than you are entitled to a new phone.
    If your mates have the same issue with same phone than insist on a different model.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I used to have this problem as well however I solved it to an extent by updating the phone software. Go to 'Settings>General>Update service>Search for update' to see if you are running the latest version. When I updated mine, which involves downloading software to your pc and then uploading to phone, it much improved my phones performance. Bowsing my 4gb of music is a lot slicker and freezes have become very rare, though if I'm running google maps, gmail and writing a text when a call comes in it still has the odd issue!

Word of caution though, the update resets the factory settings on the phone also so back up your numbers and important files.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

My phone was fine for a week, then it crashed a couple of times so the sale assistant did not fix my phone. I brought it back to the same sales assistant and he said I was only entitled for a repair. I had a major war with 02 over this phone in the end I just said feck it and choose to stick with it for a couple of months. All fairness the phone does not crash often thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

RtD wrote: »
    I used to have this problem as well however I solved it to an extent by updating the phone software. Go to 'Settings>General>Update service>Search for update' to see if you are running the latest version.

This may not work if the phone has a branded firmware due it always thinking it has latest version. Best bet is to download from the Sony Ericsson site and update the software via usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Was using this phone from last may until december and had the exact same issue. Phone would crash during calls, vibrate then turn off. Sent it off 3 times and got a new one, had the same problem so changed to c902 go January and thankfully no problems since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Only saw this thread now

I've the W910i and what a load of crap it is! :mad:

It constantly resets, messages don't send, it jammes and freezes! Grr...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm with 3 and have had the same problem with constant freezing and random power outages. I updated the firmware myself and that fixed it for a time but again the issues appeared.
    So brought it back to 3 and sent it off to be fixed. Worked again fine for 2 weeks so now demaning my phone be replaced as it's still under warranty.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm still having the same problems but it's gotten worse now. It's started to freeze during calls so for example in the middle of a call, the voice of the other person goes then I end the call and it turns off and on three times in a row. Also if I'm writing a text or something it might freeze and then the screen will turn black and it'll vibrate and turn off. A few times it's just knocked itself off completely. I only have a few weeks left in college so I'm gonna feck it at the Meteor shop as soon as I finish. I have an old phone at home to keep me going but it's just not the same. I have all my stuff on this phone. Grr. I love Sony Ericsson phones and the interfaces and ease of use but I'm seriously fed up with them. I may have to get another brand of phone when I can afford one.

Oh yeah! And I've tried updating my phone, turning off the 3G, taking out the memory card, everything suggested, but it's still not working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I'm gonna feck it at the Meteor shop.

Hmm, sounds like a plan ;)

Eh, do you get that little poxy red light on the back everytime it turns off etc?

Yep. The little red light that looks like it's teasing you every time it turns off. The sequence seems to be screen goes black, vibrates, red light, then after about a minute it'll come back again. Sometimes it vibrates twice. Grr. We should all line up and throw our phones at Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

i was lucky enough with updating the software, it has only switched itself off once in the past month since i updated the software, hopefully it wont revert back to turning itself off!!:-)

Yep. The little red light that looks like it's teasing you every time it turns off. The sequence seems to be screen goes black, vibrates, red light, then after about a minute it'll come back again. Sometimes it vibrates twice. Grr. We should all line up and throw our phones at Meteor.

Not much point getting annoyed with meteor. Its a know phone issue not a network issue. If you read through this thread you will see people having the same issue with she phone on every network myself included and im with 3.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

The firmware update does not fix the phone of it's ailment, but it helps an AWFUL lot. 7 resets in one day become one reset in 7 days. There is no fix, but it's the closest you're going to get. Personally, I'm never buying another SE again if this is the kind of thing that gets past screening. It was such a frequent problem on release that they MUST have known about it. :mad:

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    The firmware update does not fix the phone of it's ailment, but it helps an AWFUL lot. 7 resets in one day become one reset in 7 days. There is no fix, but it's the closest you're going to get. Personally, I'm never buying another SE again if this is the kind of thing that gets past screening. It was such a frequent problem on release that they MUST have known about it. :mad:

I wouldnt paint all SonyEricsson phones with the same brush. I now have a C902 since January and never had a problem with it and I did suffer the problems of the W910i. I would in to far as say (IMO) SE are a lot better than any other makers, but me course thats a matter of opinion. Never had amy major problems with any SE before the W910i and not a problem since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Don't know if it's been said in this thread but this often happens due to it switching from 2G to 3G

Go to Settings->Connectivity->Mobile networks->GSM/3G networks->GSM only.

I think that greatly reduces the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Apparently, there was a software release in the past week which should resolve most, if not all, of these problems. I think the last couple of years (W910i, W580i, W350i, W300i) have hurt Sony. Hopefully, they'll learn from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I think the last couple of years (W910i, W580i, W350i, W300i) have hurt Sony. Hopefully, they'll learn from that.

Please add the crap W380i to that list (similar to W350i).
    However since I got a W595 I am a happier SE user.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keeluz

My brother had a W910i on O2 and had these freezing problems. He told O2 that he had read on the internet that there was a lot of software type problems being reporting on this handset.

The guy in the store told him that these issue were mainly on Meteor and they had not seen any major issues with this handset, despite it being one of the bext sellers at Christmas.

Strange response, but just wondering has anyone experienced / heard of these softeware problems on o2, vodafone or 3?

Can't imagaine it's just a Meteor problem!

Advertisement