Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Palestine demo at the Central Bank 3/1/08

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I love the flag, it is the best picture from all posted here. At least for me.

Disclaimer - it was NOT C&C :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Jesus ducking Christ.
    I am on I-phone in pub but FFS listen to me.
    Ancatdubh is correct, I meant every photo like this cept last 1 which I shoulda cropped.
    cm for some reason is not a fan of my style and that's ok but as my greatest influence in photography said, Baz, he doesn't follow what's known as the 'the correctway'
    People that know me well know that I am so humble that if a photo is **** so I will admit it but then again I go and comfy with what I am aiming for...again I reiterate I don't follow the abc of photography.
    Cm while he has muchos talent is too much by the book, if we all were same techinically gifted it's be boring.
    I do get embarrased agreeing with a mod but this time he has hit the nail on the head.

He appears to be ignoring it because every time he gives critique on an image, AR turns around and says thats the way he wanted the image to be.

- That's slightly overexposed
    - Yeah, I was going for that look

- I think you should have used fill flash
    - I wanted it to be like that

- It's out of focus
    - I purposly focused it like that for that effect

When AR says that he wanted a photo to be that way, I'm as inclined to believe him as much as I believe in a god (I'm athiest btw) I think it's fair enough for Ricky not to believe him either.. considering its every time _HE_ gives c&c..
    Back home after a long day out!
    CM You are an ABC photographer, ie if someone was learning from a book you would have wrote the book...
    But because you have a rigid 1-2-3 style you are not nearly as flexable as you think you are, in Photography there are many diff styles, as I've said earlier Barry aka Baz is a massive influence on me, when I was new I asked him billions of questions, guy always explained himself to me and while not everyone likes his or my poor mans style of his the thing is I am my own biggest critic, if I hate myself I will say it and have most def said it here publicly on these forums, having said that I am at the stage of my cycle were I am more than confident in what I do and If I am or say I am happy with ABC then I am!

I wouldn't dare dissect your photos CM because as technically photographers go you are right up there but if I wanted something different to we say photograph my wedding I wouldn't pick you, I like the alternative or should I say the unobvious.

Anyway that is it....

In the next few weeks I must put up a public c&C just to keep some people happy, I have the balls, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Back home after a long day out!
    CM You are an ABC photographer, ie if someone was learning from a book you would have wrote the book...
    But because you have a rigid 1-2-3 style you are not nearly as flexable as you think you are, in Photography there are many diff styles, as I've said earlier Barry aka Baz is a massive influence on me, when I was new I asked him billions of questions, guy always explained himself to me and while not everyone likes his or my poor mans style of his the thing is I am my own biggest critic, if I hate myself I will say it and have most def said it here publicly on these forums, having said that I am at the stage of my cycle were I am more than confident in what I do and If I am or say I am happy with ABC then I am!

I wouldn't dare dissect your photos CM because as technically photographers go you are right up there but if I wanted something different to we say photograph my wedding I wouldn't pick you, I like the alternative or should I say the unobvious.

Anyway that is it....

In the next few weeks I must put up a public c&C just to keep some people happy, I have the balls, trust me.

Can you explain your poor mans style?

If he can't take C&C on his photos, then don't post them up for fear that someone may actually comment on one.
    This was covering a protest, I never asked for C&C...seriously, you know me I'm not a shy type.
    If I wanted C&C I would have added the magical words C&C

Now are we clear?

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Can you explain your poor mans style?
    Of course Ricky...
    Barry aka Baz is my influence and obviously he is better than me, hence I'm a poor mans Barry, well so I attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Of course Ricky...
    Barry aka Baz is my influence and obviously he is better than me, hence I'm a poor mans Barry, well so I attempt.

Ah i see,you lost me there but now i get ya :D

NP Ricky.
    :)
    Just as well I don't do landscapes, I'd be butchered!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AR, any chance you'd take a look at my post on P.2, it got left behind as a result of the 'discussion' that went on this evening, I posted it at 22:31.

EDIT:: Here it is

Feck you got me curious.
    In all honesty I cannot remember what or how I did this pic but as you pointed out if you look at the original (very large size) your womans hair nose is in total focus but rest are not, I put this down to me being a newb. :)
    TBH when I photographed this protest I did so as a normal shoot, I didn't realise it would lead to such close observation!
    Any other questions just ask

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that it must be kept in mind that at a gathering like this generally you don't get a chance to set a shot up. You set the camera set on what you think will cope best & quickly grab shots as you see them then hope for the best. When you sort the images later you then pick the best images that capture the situation. Some (most) will have what can be described as technical faults. Good luck & instinct play a big part. Being able to read people & being aware of how they may behave will allow you to anticipate some shots.

Good set Janer & thanks for posting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Appreciate that every shot isn't going to be technically perfect so let me ask my question another way: In that situation should you manually focus the camera on the man with the bullhorn or the man in the leather jacket?

Put another way, if you wanted all of the subjects up to and including the man with the bullhorn to be in focus, you obviously set the aperture to limit the DOF but in that specific situation, where did the camera need to be focussed?

TY..Cabansail
    Now just to reiterate the pics I upped here are exactly how I wanted them except the last one.
    The accusation from CM that I pretended I wanted them that way to cover any shortcomings of the pics is well out of order.
    I am well known for admitting publicly if I am not happy with any of my pictures.
    The flag one that Ricky and CM disputed is the most viewed of the set so far.
    This technical and the "right way" to take a picture can be taken too far, as you said Cabansail the spur of the moment is the way some of the best pictures can be captured.

coylemj wrote: »
    Appreciate that every shot isn't going to be technically perfect so let me ask my question another way: In that situation should you manually focus the camera on the man with the bullhorn or the man in the leather jacket?

Put another way, if you wanted all of the subjects up to and including the man with the bullhorn to be in focus, you obviously set the aperture to limit the DOF but in that specific situation, where did the camera need to be focussed?
    Well looking at that pic now I see what you mean, I would have used pattern if I was doing it now, I am not sure wether I used spot metering or pattern though.
    and I would have used a mid f number, although from my exif I used f4.
    If I have got a weakness is I love DOF and always tend to shoot open.
    It's a bad habit I need to get out off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

If I have got a weakness is I love DOF and always tend to shoot open.
    It's a bad habit I need to get out off.

Nowt bad about it, i'd shoot at f/1.4 in bright sunlight if I could get away with it. I've cursed sometimes that my shutter speeds "only" go up to 1/4000 :-)

It all depends though, in a situation like this, if i was taking editorial type stuff I'd very probably try and stop down a bit more, at least enough to get the principal bit of the parade in focus. All down to personal preference though, AR took the shots, its his call.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Finally got my internet working! Great turnout yesterday, both supporters and photogs :)

3165934347_65ae7357bd.jpg

3165934315_139a479943.jpg

3165934307_bd64f7d6c4.jpg

3166722910_5c48231122.jpg

3165011367_c4d5413de8.jpg

3164960025_19d172b2cb.jpg

3164959887_5c0bf63ceb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Lovely set of shots xshayx. Particular 3,4 5 and 6.. All very strong in their own right... Top stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Definately #4 for me (of the op shots), no question about that. It just "fits" and feels "right".

The subject looks the part and the over all mood seems right.

Be interested in a slightly grainy B&W conversion to see if it had any potential. Be like the old B&W reportage shots using a fast B&W film. May or may not work for that particular shot.

Not meant to be C&C, just my thoughts on the shot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Nowt bad about it, i'd shoot at f/1.4 in bright sunlight if I could get away with it. I've cursed sometimes that my shutter speeds "only" go up to 1/4000 :-)
    QUOTE]

If you put on a ND Filter & drop back 3 or 4 stops, you should be OK

Advertisement