Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Palestine demo at the Central Bank 3/1/08

Options
  • 03-01-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Met ShayHT and hopefully he will add his pictures here too, very big crowd today, most impressed.

C220F8B2FA094A30806E9603BEAEB878-800.jpg

94A15977BFD84936B388403B77D90353-800.jpg

25F671338ABF445BAB2F66CD46D4845C-800.jpg

Translator?

0B6601CE15864E21A15372788F01BDE9-800.jpg

Glued to the speaker...

392F445918AF43C1B35DFD5CB002AD95-800.jpg

C092F3C265584E74A5F94951ACEE09E1-800.jpg

Just like home.....trapped in a prison camp.

More here....
    http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/332374

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

nice reportage set. something great about #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Oh man, i should have been there.

Those are some amazing pictures AnimalRights!!
    They are very...dramatic! for the lack of a better word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Good pics, good cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Nice shots.. One thing would be that there is a lot of dead space in the shots, in particular 2 3, and last one.. If you had framed the kids peering through the fence it would work better... Try get in tighter and it will give the shots more drama.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Did you use any flash? looks like some fill in the first few. Nice shots and I would agree with AnCatDubh about number 4.

Just checked you Pix.ie properties Janer and yes a bit of fill to brighten it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nice shots. Anyone have pictures of the Cork protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Was there myself, didnt see you AR!

Was surprised at the crowd myself!

3163147863_34b5349cb0.jpg

3163962238_0b689db530.jpg

3163111617_3d43bbc1cf.jpg

3163126139_648ae04847.jpg

More Here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

3rd and 4th are great Fergus

As said on flickr, fourth is a cracker Fergie well done... Its a very strong set, all nicely framed. You are getting this shot selection lark! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

#4 is deadly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AR:No.1 really lets the set down the huge flag which is waht my attention is drawn too is totally OOF and overexposed..
    The rest are good though :)

According to the Irish Times site, a man set himself on fire at this protest.. Anyone see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I have sent the money shot to every media agency in Europe (I Wish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Some great shots AR ....

although i dont agree with the protests ... but that's another debate...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ricky91t wrote: »
    AR:No.1 really lets the set down the huge flag which is waht my attention is drawn too is totally OOF and overexposed..
    The rest are good though :)
    That shot is meant to be like that, the flag was silk and I wanted the shimmering effect as it blew in the wind.

And Shep as anyone here knows I'm not a fan of tight cropping, 2 and 3 I am happy with, the last one I admit I was tempted to crop tight to give the prison effect, I'll be honest I had a fair few drinks on me after the march so....

Heading back out now to do a gig, god help me!

That shot is meant to be like that, the flag was silk and I wanted the shimmering effect as it blew in the wind.

Eh,i don't understand..You like the flag but focused on the building behind it..because you wanted to show the silkiness of the flag :confused:

Would you not of focused on _the_ flag???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Jesus no!
    Flag is part of the scene not the scene!
    Flag shimmering away in the corner of the pic is part of the story.

Eh,i don't understand..You like the flag but focused on the building behind it..because you wanted to show the silkiness of the flag :confused:

Would you not of focused on _the_ flag???

Ricky - I think your point is well made but to be fair to AnimalRights he has indicated that's the way he wanted it. The thread isn't posted as a C&C thread so please observe this in any posts. Thanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Ricky - I think your point is well made but to be fair to AnimalRights he has indicated that's the way he wanted it. The thread isn't posted as a C&C thread so please observe this in any posts. Thanks.

Well i feel if photos are posted and another forum user feels they can be improved they should be entitled to let the user know what they feel could be changed...

Also this is a photography forum and therefore photography should be discussed in it,if the user doesn't want that they should be posted in the correct forum where the posters there will appreciate the content for what they are of,and not the ability of the photographer or the technical aspects of the images..

Thats just my opinion and i know on these forums everyone isn't entitled to one..But im sure AR doesn't mind..And if he does i'll be happy to stop giving any C & C on his threads in the future

Well i feel if photos are posted and another forum user feels they can be improved they should be entitled to let the user know what they feel could be changed...

Yes but you appear to be ignoring the fact that this is the way AnimalRights wanted the image to be captured, and while you have made your point and reiterated it, please respect that this is not a C&C thread. There are specific guides to C&C threads in the stickies which are more appropriate to what you are intending to say.
    Also this is a photography forum and therefore photography should be discussed in it,if the user doesn't want that they should be posted in the correct forum where the posters there will appreciate the content for what they are of,and not the ability of the photographer or the technical aspects of the images..

Your initial post is fine. My difficulty to your subsequent posts is simply that you appear to be trying to force an opinion that AnimalRights is incorrect. AnimalRights has already said that this is the way it is intended. Be that right or wrong isn't the issue. Your opinion has been expressed and has been rejected by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes but you appear to be ignoring the fact that this is the way AnimalRights wanted the image to be captured, and while you have made your point and reiterated it, please respect that this is not a C&C thread. There are specific guides to C&C threads in the stickies which are more appropriate to what you are intending to say.
    He appears to be ignoring it because every time he gives critique on an image, AR turns around and says thats the way he wanted the image to be.

- That's slightly overexposed
    - Yeah, I was going for that look

- I think you should have used fill flash
    - I wanted it to be like that

- It's out of focus
    - I purposly focused it like that for that effect

When AR says that he wanted a photo to be that way, I'm as inclined to believe him as much as I believe in a god (I'm athiest btw) I think it's fair enough for Ricky not to believe him either.. considering its every time _HE_ gives c&c..
    My difficulty to your subsequent posts is simply that you appear to be trying to force an opinion that AnimalRights is incorrect. AnimalRights has already said that this is the way it is intended. Be that right or wrong isn't the issue. Your opinion has been expressed and has been rejected by the OP.

See above. It's not without reason.

He appears to be ignoring it because every time he gives critique on an image, AR turns around and says thats the way he wanted the image to be.

- It's out of focus

When AR says that he wanted a photo to be that way, I'm as inclined to believe him as much as I believe in a god (I'm athiest btw) I think it's fair enough for Ricky not to believe him either.. considering its every time _HE_ gives c&c..

Thanks!
    Thats my issue really...The fact i see the bad problem in a photo and he says he was aiming for that and its how he wanted it,It has happened before and i'v took no notice,but then he agrees again saying the issue i pointed out with this photo is what he was planning for..Even though to me this is a downside to the photo

That why i appeared "to be trying to force an opinion" cause i was hoping he wasn't agreeing with me and saying that's how he wanted the photo to come out and he just mis-read or mis understood my post

If it's annoying you go ahead and do whatever a mod would do is this situation,but it really annoys me when i point out something wrong and the person attempts to throw it back in your face(?)by saying thats what they wanted to do...

I'm sure if you had an issue like this you'd find it annoying too

- It's out of focus

Thanks for that clarification ChallengeMaster but please re-read my original reply to Ricky. This thread is not C&C (at present anyway - AnimalRights feel free to update the thread if you do want it to be C&C).

If AnimalRights wants the sky to be pink with green clouds then that is fine. If that makes for a crap photograph then beauty will be in the eye of the beholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's not, but blatently dismissing any criticism of your photography with "Thats what I was trying to do" is never going to get AnimalRights anywhere. He's always on about how C&C helps him and others to learn, yet he dismisses any he gets on his own photography.

If he can't take C&C on his photos, then don't post them up for fear that someone may actually comment on one.

Thanks!
    Thats my issue really...The fact i see the bad problem in a photo and he says he was aiming for that and its how he wanted it,It has happened before and i'v took no notice,but then he agrees again saying the issue i pointed out with this photo is what he was planning for..Even though to me this is a downside to the photo

That why i appeared "to be trying to force an opinion" cause i was hoping he wasn't agreeing with me and saying that's how he wanted the photo to come out and he just mis-read or mis understood my post

If it's annoying you go ahead and do whatever a mod would do is this situation,but it really annoys me when i point out something wrong and the person attempts to throw it back in your face(?)by saying thats what they wanted to do...

I'm sure if you had an issue like this you'd find it annoying too

Ricky - to be quite honest with you - If he doesn't agree with you then he doesn't agree with you. His style of photography can be wildly different to yours. His perogative tbh as is yours to disagree. If thats an annoyance to you then why would you continue to post on AnimalRights threads????

Thanks for that clarification ChallengeMaster but please re-read my original reply to Ricky. This thread is not C&C (at present anyway - AnimalRights feel free to update the thread if you do want it to be C&C).

If AnimalRights wants the sky to be pink with green clouds then that is fine. If that makes for a crap photograph then beauty will be in the eye of the beholder.

You see,this is what i don't understand..You tell me giving C&C in a non C & C thread shouldn't be done..Yet you've done it yourself...
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58398456#post58398456

The above thread is like AR's a dump and run thread and your post gives C&C
    Alot of posters have given C&C on non C&C thread and just because i point out something wrong and AR says he planned that and i re-phrase it i get picked out by the mod who has given C&C on non C&C threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Could I make a technical observation about #3, I'm a dSLR beginner so I'm asking purely for my own education.

The woman on the extreme left who is the closest person to the camera appears to be perfectly in focus, you can see an individual hair sticking out above her nose. However the man in the leather jacket beside her and the guy with the bullhorn are both slightly out of focus, you have to download the original size photo to appreciate this.

The aperture appears to have been set to provided a limited DOF and this appears to have worked well in that all of the people beyond the man with the bullhorn and their banners are out of focus though not so much that you can't make them out individually - is that Joe Higgins on the left directly under the metal globe?

According to the EXIF data the focal length was 28mm, F/4 and 1/200 on ISO-100 so can the OP and/or others discuss the issues that arise here, did the camera focus on a subject that was too close and should it have been focussed instead on a subject within the intended DOF?

It's not, but blatently dismissing any criticism of your photography with "Thats what I was trying to do" is never going to get AnimalRights anywhere. He's always on about how C&C helps him and others to learn, yet he dismisses any he gets on his own photography.

If he can't take C&C on his photos, then don't post them up for fear that someone may actually comment on one.

ChallengeMaster - I have indicated at this stage on numerous occasions over the preceding posts that the OP hasn't requested C&C. Initial comment was fine. He responded. He didn't agree. Ricky doesn't agree. They actually agree on one thing - to disagree.

So it needs to be left at that because this thread has been dragged so seriously off topic that it is not fair on the OP.

Thanks for pointing that out - PLEASE REREAD my preceding posts. I have no problem with YOUR ORIGINAL POST offering advice. But attempting to force your opinion on thread doesn't help the OP.

I never said you couldn't suggest. In the example you post if Rach didn't agree with me it would have been inappropriate for me to continue to tell her that my suggestions are correct and she was wrong.

Ok. My point is well made at this stage. Please accept it or feel free if you feel that I am treating you harshly to take up any grievance through PM's as the discussion is getting more and more irrelevant to the thread.

Beyond this i'm essentially proposing to do what you suggest in your previous post and moderate the thread and posters.

EDIT: Apologies Smelltheglove and Dave_C - Got ye mixed up in my haste. The thread linked was obviously Dave_C's as pointed out by Ricky in subsequent post.

• Advertisement

Thanks for pointing that out - PLEASE REREAD my preceding posts. I have no problem with YOUR ORIGINAL POST offering advice. But attempting to force your opinion on thread doesn't help the OP.

I never said you could suggest. In the example you post if Rach didn't agree with me it would have been inappropriate for me to continue to tell her that my suggestions are correct and she was wrong.

Ok. My point is well made at this stage. Please accept it or feel free if you feel that I am treating you harshly to take up any grievance through PM's as the discussion is getting more and more irrelevant to the thread.

Beyond this i'm essentially proposing to do what you suggest in your previous post and moderate the thread and posters.
    Why would you give C&C to "Rach" when she was only commenting,Are you talking about Mr Dave C??

Just want to clear that up..Easier than pm'ing you

Advertisement