Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUE JAN 6 21:00 NEW Oak Tree Press Boardeaux

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Daryl -
    Clayton - Yes

Martin - Yes
    Ed - Yes
    Dan - Yes
    Michael - Yes
    Keith - Yes
    Cathal - Yes

Mick Mc - No

Lepo - No
    Larry - Yes
    Derek - Yes
    Peter -Yes
    Gav - Yes
    Mark - Yes

Gar - No
    Dave - Yes

Art - Yes
    Eddie - MAYBE
    Ciaran - Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 sockdolage

If anyone has a spare pair of shin guards could they bring them along, I don't have any with me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

5-1 loss. What a load of cock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads apologies first 2 goals completely my fault, The only way to more for them would to have put the ball in the net myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hard to figure out this game, hard to believe we lost it let alone lost by 4. im not going to dwell on it, lets learn lessons and move on. you will learn more from this than a win. it was just one of those nights that nothing went right and everything went wrong, but were used to that at boards. i think we all played a part, all 5 of their goals came from mis placed passes from us, all from different people.

we could have been 6-0 up before they scored, the ball just wouldnt go in, it was perhaps the best ive seen a boards team play, direct, crisp one touch passing into space and at pace. they scored with their first attack, a mistake in the middle where we lost possession on the attack, but have to say, a super finish. we piled on again, keeper pulled off another 2 great saves and ciaran hit both posts. 2-0 from another mis pass, this in defence and to be 2-0 at half time when we could have hit them for 7 or 8 was shocking. to be honest, there was no way back.

even at 2-0 i thought we would still win it such was the amount of possession and chances we had but we dropped a gear in the 2nd half and werent as good. they picked us off on the break with about 12/13 left for 3-0, it was a super finish from 25 yards into the corner, though im disappointed i didnt block it. heads then dropped as there was no time to come back from 3-0.the 4th came with about 6/7 mins left and was another class finish into the corner, but should have been defended better.

In between those, we actually were well on top, just couldnt score. ciaran had a super game, on another nite he would have had 6 goals, luck just wasnt on his side.we all had chances, id say dan and mike were the only 2 that didnt have at least one chance!! we must have had close on 20 shots, they had 7 and scored 5. their keeper was amazing, and was also a ringer, played his first game! best we have ever played against at this level.

we finally scored with about 2 mins left but as we pushed forward, they caught us on the break again for a 5th in the last seconds.

so, tough to take, but we played super, what went wrong?

no luck?
    defending poorly?
    gaving ball away cheaply in key positions?
    missing too many chances?
    too many switches?
    individual mistakes?

i think a mixtures of all of these, with no luck what so ever being the main one. some good individual displays by 3 or 4 players and a top goal from Dave. plenty of positives to be taken, but we you dont take your chances, you will be punished.

on a side note, not saying that it had anything to do with the outcome of the game, but that referee was terrible. he hardly blew his whistle during the game, clueless really. hope we dont get him in a tight match as he will cost us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lads apologies first 2 goals completely my fault, The only way to more for them would to have put the ball in the net myself.

forget bout it, we can all hold our hand up for their goals, not just you, we should be there to cover each others mistakes but werent!

we wont defend as bad again i assure you.

and with ravehill loosing, its not all bad. oak tree can now go top it they win their game in hand but if we beat full irish and win our games in hand, we can go 2nd also....its all to play for, but we simply have to win next week now, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I watched the second half and there was no way it was a 5-1 game though they were very clinical and looked a threat on most of their counter-attacks, but that's the benefit of playing against a team that has to push up to chase 2 goals.

We played some beautiful triangular passing movements at times that moved the ball swiftly from halfway to edge of their box via 3 or 4 players only for them to get a toe or a knee to the final ball into the box - and those were generally very good passes that were just about cut out and would have led to a tap-in if not cut out. With a combination of luck and grit they always seemed to get to it though and they always got the lucky breaks.

Delivery from corners and throw-ins was excellent too.

In trying to figure out what made them more dangerous going forward there was nothing clearcut, but here's my thoughts:

-Our midfield was pushing up chasing the game but defence didn't push up as much, particularly when we went 3 at the back. That led to them picking up a lot of balls in that gap before the defence reached them. Appreciate by pushing up further the defence are leaving more space in behind but by not doing it it gave them more outlets from the pressure, if you're chasing a game you gotta throw caution to the wind.

-They always took an extra touch and were happy to get the ball under control and then figure out what to do. We tended to opt for the first-time ball to release a man in space which is admirable but has a higher error rate.

-There's lots more communicating on our team than ever before but at times it gets frantic - they were talking to each other lots to reassure whereas our players might have had a few screams for the ball before they've received it.

I think the above all meant that they were able to find space easier (naturally) but they were more relaxed on the ball whereas we were hurried at times...which again is to some extent to be expected when chasing a game. Anyways, just saying how I saw it in case it's of interest as it was clear this team has the ability to play lovely football and I guess the summary of the above is to trust in that ability and relax on the ball and let that ability shine through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I know this won't go down well, but I thought it was a fair enough result. If you look at it, Glenwood before Christmas had two chances - albeit two great chances - in the game and scored two, now this lot have had maybe 6 chances and scored five. Whatever chances we do giveaway seem to be very score-able and end up in the net.

They absorbed the corner pressure with their keeper and sprung on the attack with our midfield being over-run particularly in the first half. They got wide and in behind and in front (the ridiculous third goal) After the third, it was really frantic, so the rest of the game can't really be looked at.

They didn't get best goal of the night though ;)

Advertisement