Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Season 5 Countdown/Hype thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well on the surface at least, I think Widmore intended them as a reconnaissance team. Their expertise made each of them ideally suited to understanding the island. The idea was send them in, find out what the situation is, disable The Tempest, and then send the big guys (Keamy and co) in to wipe everyone out. I suspect Naomi was running the whole the show and her getting killed f**ked everything up.

However the presence of Abaddon indicates something much deeper is going on. I'm not sure he and Widmore are on the same team or have the same agenda. If Abaddon once passed himself off as an orderly, who knows what he could have passed himself off to Widmore as. It seems quite likely that Abaddon chose the scientists for reasons other than their expertise.

Widmore had interrogated one of Ben's people (remember the video Ben showed Locke) so it's possible he knew about the survivors from him. Of course Abaddon was singing a different tune to Naomi — "there were no survivors," etc.

Okay, lets consider for a second that Widmore is *not* behind the "fake" crash site. As far as he is concerned 815 and everyone on it is at the bottom of the Sunda Trench. But then he interrogates one of Ben's people, who tells him that 815 crashed on the island. Widmore thinks this is nuts but wonders if perhaps Ben faked the crash. He's not sure but he passes this all on to Naomi — just in case. She doesn't know what to make of it either. She asks Abaddon, who insists that everyone is dead. What does this say? Maybe Abaddon (not Widmore or Ben) was behind the second plane. The guy seems very powerful, who knows what he can do.
    [/theory]

Getting back to the question, I think Widmore already knew Desmond was on the island. There was always something a bit fishy about how Desmond just happened to wash up on the island while taking part in Widmore's boat race. Widmore obviously got the picture from Penny and gave it to Naomi as part of the cover story to give the survivors or Desmond when she landed.

Yeah I never knew what to make of Miles' bribe either. Something personal to his back-story maybe.

Good answers. You ever think of applying to be a writer for Lost SP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hmmmm ya know that's a good idea, I think I will. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Jin is the other one. He was in Season 3 (and possibly a bit in Season 2) as an Agent named Baker if my memory serves correctly

EDIT - ah, too late. Yeah I forgot about Charles Widmore. He was Vice President in Season 2

Christian Shephard also had a major role on 24 during season 2 as that blonde ones dad. Think her name was Kate.

Only 9 days to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

However the presence of Abaddon indicates something much deeper is going on. I'm not sure he and Widmore are on the same team or have the same agenda. If Abaddon once passed himself off as an orderly, who knows what he could have passed himself off to Widmore as. It seems quite likely that Abaddon chose the scientists for reasons other than their expertise.

Widmore had interrogated one of Ben's people (remember the video Ben showed Locke) so it's possible he knew about the survivors from him. Of course Abaddon was singing a different tune to Naomi — "there were no survivors," etc.

Okay, lets consider for a second that Widmore is *not* behind the "fake" crash site. As far as he is concerned 815 and everyone on it is at the bottom of the Sunda Trench. But then he interrogates one of Ben's people, who tells him that 815 crashed on the island. Widmore thinks this is nuts but wonders if perhaps Ben faked the crash. He's not sure but he passes this all on to Naomi — just in case. She doesn't know what to make of it either. She asks Abaddon, who insists that everyone is dead. What does this say? Maybe Abaddon (not Widmore or Ben) was behind the second plane. The guy seems very powerful, who knows what he can do.
    [/theory]

I think the evidence points to Abbadon working against Widmore. First we see of Abbadon in the timeline is 4 years before the crash as an orderly working with Locke in rehab just after his accident. He puts the idea of the walkabout in his head which leads Locke to the island.

Then he is seen as seeming to be part of or heading the widmore group. He tells Naomi that there was no survivors of 815. Now he must have known that John Locke at least survived. If hes passing false information to widmores people then, well...

I'm looking forward to Faradays backstory. How did his memory get messed up. When will he need Desmond as his constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chumpski wrote: »
    I think the evidence points to Abbadon working against Widmore. First we see of Abbadon in the timeline is 4 years before the crash as an orderly working with Locke in rehab just after his accident. He puts the idea of the walkabout in his head which leads Locke to the island.

Then he is seen as seeming to be part of or heading the widmore group. He tells Naomi that there was no survivors of 815. Now he must have known that John Locke at least survived. If hes passing false information to widmores people then, well...

I'm looking forward to Faradays backstory. How did his memory get messed up. When will he need Desmond as his constant.
    Firstly, he's works for the FBI, investgating strange science crimes.

Secondly, we have no reason to believe he was telling the truth when talking to anyone,

• Advertisement

He was telling locke the truth wasn't he? Next time we meet you will owe me one. I think locke getting use of his legs back on the island definetly counts as owing him one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

7 days to go.

Looks like Sky is having an all day Lost marathon on the 25th:
    Link

Anyway re: Abaddon.

The writers are big fans of Stephen King's The Stand. So perhaps, as I've suggested before, Abaddon is like Randall Flagg (the dark man, antichrist, etc) and Jacob is like Mother Abigail (rocking chair, cabin, etc). They are both higher powers of some sort; one is good, one is evil and they are both fighting for control of the island. Widmore works for Abaddon, Ben for Jacob. And Locke is the chosen one, stuck in the middle, destined to decide which one will win.

Locke has always had the potential to be either good or evil. Remember how he explained the rules of backgammon to Walt in the pilot? Two sides, one is black, one is white. Remember Claire's dream in the first season? Locke had black and white eyes. Alpert rejects Locke for choosing the the knife but Abaddon sends him off to the island, telling him he'll owe him. This kinda explains Ben's initial attitude to Locke. He knows that Abaddon sent him and views him as a threat. But his connection to the island is undeniable, Locke will decide it's fate.

It's a somewhat simplistic theory and this show is never so straightforward but it gives us a possible context for understanding the forces at play. I think Abaddon has had a much bigger influence on Locke's life than he realises. I sense a Empire Strikes Back-type revelation coming...

Today's the day... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Today's the day... :D

Well, tomorrow really by the time I get a chance to watch it, but I'm excited nonetheless.

:D

Yeah you're right actually. Technically the ABC airing is tomorrow our time.

• Advertisement

Won't get to see it till tomorrow evening. Still though, its been a long wait, its great its back on!

I'm re watching season 1 at the moment. What a season! There are some great performances in almost every episode. Matthew Fox, Terry O Quinn, Dominic Monaghan and Sun (whats her name!?) are all fantastic in their episodes.

Dominic Monaghan in the moth was excellent. Matthew Fox was also brilliant in his second episode, number 20. With all the mystery and plot lines it is easy to forget that there are some brilliant actors working on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

By my reckoning the recap preview and the first 2 episodes should all be over by 3am our time?

Well 5x01 starts at 9pm EST. So 5x02 will be over at 11pm EST. New York is 5 hours behind us — so 4am our time.

Hmmmm I'm night owl and all but that's a bit too late for me I think. :D I'll watch it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

At last its nearly here! I went through a marathon of Lost the last couple of days, s1 to s4 to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I have been watching season 4 the last 2 weeks. I am on the finale tonight and then from 5am on I will be pressing refresh nearly continually so I get it as quick as I can. Can not wait

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I need to get watching the last episode quickly tonight so I can refresh before the premiere. I'm seriously excited now!

Got this e-mail from the spin-off Dharma Initiative game:
    (ps; I can't see how this could contain spoilers, but it merely says what stage they're at in relation to making the season). Mods please edit if you feel otherwise.
    Dear fellow Dharma recruits,

The fifth season premiere is only hours away. Be forewarned, we are hosting the clip show that proceeds it at 8/7 central.

With the show's imminent launch, it's been very busy here in the LOST offices. Last week we attended the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour. We did a lot of interviews there, which you'll probably see this week, and we showed them episode three. (They'd already seen episodes one and two via ABC.)

We are also working on breaking the last five episodes, writing episodes twelve and thirteen, production is shooting eleven, we're editing seven, eight, nine and ten, and on the post end of things we are finishing the CG work, ADR, sound and mixing on episodes four, five and six.

So this is a round-about way of saying we didn't have a chance to prepare a video for you this week. We hope you'll understand. However, we will be back. In fact it's our hope to fire off to you guys a DSA video update about once a month as the season progresses.

We really appreciate your continued support, and we hope you enjoy the premiere.

With gratitude,

Damon and Carlton

I've been watching Twin Peaks on Veoh this week, I'm not sure if lost will be available on this, what are other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ahem... anyone who posts streaming links here will get a kick up the arse. Sorry, Mellor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Well I mean I don't know why you would need to ask for streaming links when there is this, The ultimate streaming site for Lost etc :P

Mr E wrote: »
    Ahem... anyone who posts streaming links here will get a kick up the arse. Sorry, Mellor. :)

Wasn't asking for it to be posted here. PM obv.

• Advertisement
Advertisement