Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Season 5 Countdown/Hype thread

Options
  • 03-01-2009 1:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

It's a bit too quiet in here. Come on, guys, let's start the countdown: 18 days to go (to the U.S. airing).

Any thoughts? theories? questions? on the upcoming season — here's the place to share them. (No spoilers.) Or any final thoughts on last season? Did anyone get the dvds, etc?

Here's a recently updated ABC 5 minute recap of the first 4 seasons:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just watched Saw last night, so that's what Ben gets up to in his spare time :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't watched Saw (should I?). But I do remember seeing Emerson as a serial killer in an episode of The Practice years ago. It's considered one of the best episodes of the show and probably got him the role on Lost. Anyone who saw it wouldn't have had any doubts about Henry Gale being a good or bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

One thing I'm wondering about is the people who are left on the island - why are they in danger? From what we've seen in season 4, the freighter guys are all dead, so what's the threat to the losties on the island now? Might be Jacob or the smoke monster?

I got a loan of season 4 on DVD, watched all the audio commentaries but not much revealed there about season 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One thing I'm wondering about is the people who are left on the island - why are they in danger?
    Without getting into spoilers, the threat is obviously related where (or when) the island got moved to last season. Smokey funnily enough has never been much of a threat to the Lostaways — apart from killing the pilot and making a lot of noise.

I'm fascinated by the Jacob storyline. Is he good or evil, what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I'm currently watching an earlier Bad Robot production, Alias, (which I think is fantastic so far to Season 3) and it is great to see Lost alumni pop up from time to time. The most significant of these was Terry O'Quinn, but I've just seen Dr Marvin Candle and Mr Kwan pop up as guest stars; Mr Kwan was as nice as ever and I hope we get to see more of him in Season 5, as I'm most curious as to what Sun is up to, i.e. is she really gunning for Ben and siding with Widmore. The location of the island (time and space) should be interesting as well as the whole Jacob/ Christian Shepherd story.

• Advertisement

Without getting into spoilers, the threat is obviously related where (or when) the island got moved to last season. Smokey funnily enough has never been much of a threat to the Lostaways — apart from killing the pilot and making a lot of noise.

I think he's good, but that's only based on the way the others trust him and seem to think he's good. impossible to say though. maybe he has the capability of being both good and evil, depending on where/when the island is and who is on it.

i hope they address the jacob story a lot more this season, as season 4 only had a few mentions of him, and we didn't get to learn anything new about him.

I'm currently watching an earlier Bad Robot production, Alias, (which I think is fantastic so far to Season 3) and it is great to see Lost alumni pop up from time to time.
    Yeah, I watched Alias up to the start of season 3 and then lost interest. Could never get back into it.

Re: Alias, I remember an interesting interview with Damon when he said that after the Lost pilot Abrams warned him to not make the mistake he made in Alias of having the characters talk about the Rambaldi mystery all the time. This is why the characters in Lost rarely talk about the mysteries of the island. Damon said he prefers to *show* the mysteries/answers instead of having characters talk about them. Instead the characters stay focused on on their own personal stories. He said that the consequence of this was that the audience feels like they aren't getting any answers.
    i hope they address the jacob story a lot more this season, as season 4 only had a few mentions of him, and we didn't get to learn anything new about him.
    I thought we learned a fair bit actually. Maybe not about Jacob himself but plenty of little hints around him. Like the fact that Horace built the cabin, and Christian Shephard's involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Voltwad wrote: »
    Just watched Saw last night, so that's what Ben gets up to in his spare time :P

thats not Micheal Emerson...

edit ... ooops it is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 weekends

Hey - Anyone know what date RTE or Sky are starting to air season 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Pop quiz - hotshot

Which two Lost actors also appeared in 24 - Character names acceptable as answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Didn't Ben or Locke say to Jack they were all in trouble because he left? I think it was in one of the previews for season 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

squidgey wrote: »
    Pop quiz - hotshot

Which two Lost actors also appeared in 24 - Character names acceptable as answer.

Desmond anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Wow - a quick google search reveals there are actually 26 actors who have appeared on both Lost and 24. The main 2 I was looking for were Desmond and Jin but there's a whole heap of others including Charles Windmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,444 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jin is the other one. He was in Season 3 (and possibly a bit in Season 2) as an Agent named Baker if my memory serves correctly

EDIT - ah, too late. Yeah I forgot about Charles Widmore. He was Vice President in Season 2

I thought we learned a fair bit actually. Maybe not about Jacob himself but plenty of little hints around him. Like the fact that Horace built the cabin, and Christian Shephard's involvement.
    yeah i liked the way they introduced the whole christian shephard thing, and when he featured in one of those mobisodes in the run up to season 4. but i was hoping to see another creepy encounter with jacob, that scene in the cabin in season 3 was one of the best scenes of the whole show for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Only 18 days left? Awesome!! That is a pleasant surprise, because I have been following Lost for years now, but hadn't checked to see when the next season started...

charlesD wrote: »
    Only 18 days left? Awesome!!
    Well it's 16 days now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Anyone else find it significnt she mentioned the guy from the Others never ages?

I reckon Richard's lack of ageing is due to time travel rather than him being immortal or anything. But who knows...

Also (Ive only started watching Lost at the start of Dec so have it all fresh in my mind) she doesn't make any reference to the people who I assumed had died on the freighter. I know there were some on the little motorboat but only about 6 if I remember or was that all there was?

• Advertisement

Afaik the only Losties on the freighter when it exploded was Michael and Jin and 3 other unnamed red shirts. Oh and all the crew but no one cares about them.

Michael is dead dead dead. And doubt we'll ever hear about the 3 redshirts. And Jin... well ya never know.

Then there was Faraday and a bunch of other redshirts. Faraday is almost certainly okay, and as for the redshirts — see above.

Btw that whole helicopter lifting off/freighter blowing up scene really annoyed me. I mean there's bomb about to go off and there's guys in the background sweeping the deck and chilling out while Jack in a panic gathers his friends together and flies off leaving all the extras else to die. Some very sloppy directing. But I'm sure the writers get a kick out it.

Thankfully the subsequent — "You can go now, Michael" KA-BOOM! — scene made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I can't wait for it to return. There should be some epic moments. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Ah, just started watching series 4 again tonight to recap. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

weekends wrote: »
    Hey - Anyone know what date RTE or Sky are starting to air season 5?
    Back on Sky on Jan 25th. Not sure about RTE yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Jimmy1bob

I think one of the most intestesting plot threads is the fact that the Others/Dharma have been watching John for his entire life- (see ep Cabin Fever).

How was it that Richard either dosn't age or can time travel, when we see him visiting Locke as a child?

After the last Episode of Season 4 it seems time travel is the answer, but how does he do it.

Also Richard never seems to be shocked our scared, maybe hes seen it all before!!

I really need some answers, hope I can find this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I am re-watching season 4 again and something I really hope is addressed is "the science team" that being Faraday, Charlotte and Miles and also Naomi. (I assume Frank is gone)
    Mainly why were they on the freighter, what did Windmore or Abaddon want them to do?
    Why did Naomi have a picture of Desmond? Why did she suspect the survivors of 815 would be on the island?
    Why did Miles specifically bribe Ben for 3.2 million. I ask cause it is such a specific number and seemed like a codeword. It sort of got lost in the shuffle which is pretty much what happened to them all in the episodes post writers strike.
    There is just too much inconsistency with their whole story for my liking which I would like addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Oh also. Has everyone seen this. It's pretty cool recap of the previous 4 seasons main moments.
    Some really tough decisions as well in terms of voting.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index?pn=showdown

Whatever happened to the story behind Jack's father's body not being in his coffin. I only remembered now - was way back in Season 1 and there was no answer frm what I remember!

cooker3 wrote: »
    Mainly why were they on the freighter, what did Windmore or Abaddon want them to do?
    Well on the surface at least, I think Widmore intended them as a reconnaissance team. Their expertise made each of them ideally suited to understanding the island. The idea was send them in, find out what the situation is, disable The Tempest, and then send the big guys (Keamy and co) in to wipe everyone out. I suspect Naomi was running the whole the show and her getting killed f**ked everything up.

However the presence of Abaddon indicates something much deeper is going on. I'm not sure he and Widmore are on the same team or have the same agenda. If Abaddon once passed himself off as an orderly, who knows what he could have passed himself off to Widmore as. It seems quite likely that Abaddon chose the scientists for reasons other than their expertise.
    Why did Naomi have a picture of Desmond? Why did she suspect the survivors of 815 would be on the island?
    Widmore had interrogated one of Ben's people (remember the video Ben showed Locke) so it's possible he knew about the survivors from him. Of course Abaddon was singing a different tune to Naomi — "there were no survivors," etc.

Okay, lets consider for a second that Widmore is *not* behind the "fake" crash site. As far as he is concerned 815 and everyone on it is at the bottom of the Sunda Trench. But then he interrogates one of Ben's people, who tells him that 815 crashed on the island. Widmore thinks this is nuts but wonders if perhaps Ben faked the crash. He's not sure but he passes this all on to Naomi — just in case. She doesn't know what to make of it either. She asks Abaddon, who insists that everyone is dead. What does this say? Maybe Abaddon (not Widmore or Ben) was behind the second plane. The guy seems very powerful, who knows what he can do.
    [/theory]

Getting back to the question, I think Widmore already knew Desmond was on the island. There was always something a bit fishy about how Desmond just happened to wash up on the island while taking part in Widmore's boat race. Widmore obviously got the picture from Penny and gave it to Naomi as part of the cover story to give the survivors or Desmond when she landed.
    Why did Miles specifically bribe Ben for 3.2 million. I ask cause it is such a specific number and seemed like a codeword. It sort of got lost in the shuffle which is pretty much what happened to them all in the episodes post writers strike.
    Yeah I never knew what to make of Miles' bribe either. Something personal to his back-story maybe.

• Advertisement

Mmcd wrote:
    Whatever happened to the story behind Jack's father's body not being in his coffin. I only remembered now - was way back in Season 1 and there was no answer frm what I remember!
    Well according to last season's revelations — he got out of the coffin, slipped on a pair of tennis shoes and went to stay with Jacob. Sometimes he wears the suit, sometimes the grubby overalls. He is alive? No. Is he dead? Yes. What does it mean? Beats me. :D

You might want to check out the the mobisodes, especially the final one called "So It Begins." It's on youtube. Some people still consider it a spoiler though so I won't link to it.

Advertisement