Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Rip Off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kcb wrote: »
    Who's talking about China!

The comparison was looking at North and South of the same country.
    Several people are talking about China, why should burgers be cheaper there? Please explain in full, you might educate yourself by thinking about it.

It is as ludicrous to consider travelling to China for a burger as it is to drive up north to get one a few cent less.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Are people seriously expecting McDonalds to adjust their prices daily to account for fluctuations in a foreign countries currency?
    And if they were to do so it would cost a fortune in admin & new signage every day! Just like dual price tags end up costing less for everybody as they can make a generic label and are free to move stock around easily without the need to rebrand each time.

Where I work we deal in US$ and STG£, we have do accounts with a fixed rate for the entire year, otherwise it would cost a fortune in admin and huge hassle for accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

The Economist magazine publishes a "Big Mac Index" every year using the price of Big Macs as an indicator of the economic strength in individual countries.

http://www.economist.com/markets/bigmac/index.cfm

As Rubadub said, it's ridiculous to think all prices should be kept the same at all times. It's fine complaining that there's a large gap, but it's a load a crap, because anyone who is earning a wage in the Republic, is all but guaranteed to be earning more that someone in the north doing exactly the same work, when the exchange rate is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

Also, anyone been to a McD's in China? Fancy as fook. Pizza Hut is high dining over there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

georgem25 wrote: »
    Dont go to McD anyway, so can I pretend I am boycotting them?

Same here, why the hell would anyone go to McDonalds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

dfbemt wrote: »
    Even good ol' Mickey D's is at it. Just noticed the recent TV adverts

Double Cheeseburger here - €2, up North - £1.39
    Hamburger here - €1, up north 49p

and there's lots more.

New Years resolution, no more McDonalds !!!

Where are you getting those figures from?

A regular hamburger in McD's in UK/NI costs £1 from their POUNDSAVER menu, which is €1.10 ..... they are more expensive

The double cheeseburger is £2, which is €2.20 ..... again more expensive.

McD's is more expensive in the UK than in the ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jas72

Summer 2007 you couldn't move in Dundalk due to the NI cars coming down to dundalk for bargins. Never heard them talking about rip off UK they were simply shopping where it's cheapest. You seem to want Mc Donalds in Ireland to constant change their prices depending on the UK/€ exchange rates. You can now get stuff cheaper up the north. Enjoy it while it lasts folks the pound is exepected to rebound this year (good time to book summer holidays from london or belfast). Then will you be saying why don't they up the prices of maccy Ds as it much cheaper than Newry lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

They don't even sell twisty fries for €1 anymore. Its €2 now.
    Well, i don't go to mcdonalds anyway... Burger King all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

dh0661 wrote: »
    I'm not going - but please bring me back twenty double cheese burgers, I've emailed you the €4-00, but if onions and ketchup costs extra please pm me and I'll email you the extra.
    THANKS

You can't email money :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Cabaal wrote: »
    Same here, why the hell would anyone go to McDonalds?

Because they like how the food tastes? Is it that hard for you to figure out? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

the only way to get back at them is to boycott them,hit them where is hurts their profit margins, good on you for spotting it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Hey lads me and a few friends are going to China cos we heard the double cheese burgers are only €0.20 over there, anyone wanna come?

I'm serious

To actually make profit from that venture, You would have to buy about... 600 double cheese burgers.

To eat them in 10 minutes, You would have to eat 1 double cheese burger every second.

aka get me a few mcflurrys please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

FX Meister wrote: »
    You can't email money :rolleyes:

Oops - I'll have to fax it so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the only way to get back at them is to boycott them,hit them where is hurts their profit margins, good on you for spotting it

Good man for spottign that and missing the post that debunked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where do you suggest they go then, supermacs is usually more expensive? As are most takeaways, Irish or mulitnationally owned. There is nearly always some offer on in these places.

I expect the difference between chippers north & south is a lot more than the McD's differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

last time I checked those up north were singing god save the queen, not the same country

And where were you checking by the way love to see you head in to a bar in south Armagh and sing god save the queen

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And where were you checking by the way love to see you head in to a bar in south Armagh and sing god save the queen

Doesnt make it any less of a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Didn't realise they stopped selling bundy's and mince meat in ireland.
    I'll have to start going into my local chipper so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

mikemac wrote: »
    Haven't set foot in the place or BK or Supermacs since watching Super Size Me.
    If you've seen it maybe it had the same effect on you[/QUOwatching it only made me want Mcd's so so bad. Took me 2 days to track one down cos i was abroad. Best Big Mac id ever had

Advertisement