Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonalds Rip Off

Options
  • 02-01-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Even good ol' Mickey D's is at it. Just noticed the recent TV adverts

Double Cheeseburger here - €2, up North - £1.39
    Hamburger here - €1, up north 49p

and there's lots more.

New Years resolution, no more McDonalds !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dfbemt wrote: »

and there's lots more.

OMG :eek:

Thats outrageous what will we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭georgem25

Dont go to McD anyway, so can I pretend I am boycotting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Burger King!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

OMG :eek:

Thats outrageous what will we do?

Next time you fancy a double cheeseburger .......Go up North .......Is'nt it way cheaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You'd swear we had higher rents, wages, insurance and energy costs than the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭cormie

even if it was free it'd be a rip off :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haven't set foot in the place or BK or Supermacs since watching Super Size Me.
    If you've seen it maybe it had the same effect on you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Hey lads me and a few friends are going to China cos we heard the double cheese burgers are only €0.20 over there, anyone wanna come?

I'm serious

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

mikemac wrote: »

A balanced diet can stand up to an occasional cheeky burger... as long as you dont switch from a vegan diet to big macs for breakfast lunch and dinner like the sap in that movie.

That said McDonalds makes me queasy, BK is where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i remember in malysia - i ordered like 2 full meals of big macs, with deserts and it came out at like 5euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

mikemac wrote: »

That film's a load o'cr*p anyway. A group of us spent a summer abroad working in McD's and ate nowt but McD's and BK for the entire summer apart from getting locked in the evening and we were all grand. Sensationalist bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hey lads me and a few friends are going to China cos we heard the double cheese burgers are only €0.20 over there, anyone wanna come?I'm serious

I'm not going - but please bring me back twenty double cheese burgers, I've emailed you the €4-00, but if onions and ketchup costs extra please pm me and I'll email you the extra.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

GBX wrote: »
    Burger King!

Hmmm... do they use pork fat or Hamas employees.... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭DenMan

McDonalds is vile....stay away. It's abhorrant. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The biggest rip off in McD is the Twisty Fries. They were €1 but they recently increased the price to €2. All that changed was the capacity increased by around 20% which doesn't really justify a 100% increase in price.

So much for the EuroSaver menu:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

You'd swear we had higher rents, wages, insurance and energy costs than the UK.

In all fairness, not so much higher that we pay double !!

The thing is Irish people are suckers. English and other european countries don't put up with being overcharged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭rameire

kcb wrote: »
    In all fairness, not so much higher that we pay double !!

The thing is Irish people are suckers. English and other european countries don't put up with being overcharged

go to norway, lets see you complain then.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

FOOLS and their MONEY are EASILY PARTED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

DenMan wrote: »
    McDonalds is vile....stay away. It's abhorrant. :eek:

and yet there are so many of them and they are so popular.

Seriously, we are being ripped off in just about every way possible. Ireland really needs to consider boycotting many of these places to fully illustrate to them that it's not okay to rip us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

cormie wrote: »
    even if it was free it'd be a rip off :cool:
    Yup! Sure the burgers are "100% Beef" but as pointed out somewhere else on boards everything from the arsehole to the gums of the cow is considered beef. Think about that the next time you tuck in!

• Advertisement

Panky, Where do you suggest we start, BURGERKINGS maybe?LOL

Coopery, Mcdonalds boast their hamburgers are made from 100% BEEF. ??? Need we say anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, it's not a rip off if you know the price you'll pay. You therefore have a choice and can only be ripped off if it's more than they told you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

I personally love Ronald I do, but at tough times like this when the 1pound =1euro, I feel like it's a smack in the face that Ronald hasn't the good heart to reflect this in his menu prices. Does he not know we're facing recession! I say support Supermacs!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes they do, many people in the UK think they are paying over the odds and "put up with it". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip-Off_Britain

Mr.S wrote: »
    I dont get people who say they dont eat McD etc because of SuperSize me..

i mean, he ate it 3 times a day for 30 days...

Of course he was going to put on weight, go weird etc.
    If you went into any hotel in Ireland and had the full breakfast, lunch and dinner and accepted all offers of extras like he did you would end up as fat or fatter. They did some very interesting experiments to show up the stupid faulty logic and flaws in that film, some here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersize_me#Alternative_experiments

I say support Supermacs!
    Supermacs are more expensive, but some idiots do not mind paying over the odds for stuff, just as long as that thing is not on sale in another country for a lower price. :rolleyes:

big-mac-index.gif
    Theres probably some lad up north thinking he is being "ripped off" after seeing what they charge in china.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,470 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Funny, I had the latest big mac index on my clipboard before I got to page 2 of this thread :)

We should do all our shopping in China, a big mac is only $1.41 (€1.03 at current exchange).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dfbemt wrote: »

and there's lots more.

then drive 100 miles north to get your McDonalds, see how much cheaper it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

astrofool wrote: »
    Funny, I had the latest big mac index on my clipboard before I got to page 2 of this thread :)

We should do all our shopping in China, a big mac is only $1.41 (€1.03 at current exchange).

Who's talking about China!

The comparison was looking at North and South of the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why is everythign automatically a rip off nowadays when it's dearer than the UK? It's a different ****ing country. Why not compare the prices to India or Afganistan? "oh my god the poor people in the UK are beign ripped off cos you can get a big mac in China for less than $1.50" :rolleyes:

The comparison was looking at North and South of the same country.

Which mythical country is this? Last I checked there were 2 seperate countries on this Island. There are many clues, currency, governments , police forces etc etc.

Are people seriously expecting McDonalds to adjust their prices daily to account for fluctuations in a foreign countries currency?

If sterling rallies the same in the opposite direction and £1 is worth €10 would people be happy for prices here to be set at 10x UK prices because of what their currency is worth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

last time I checked those up north were singing god save the queen, not the same country

Advertisement