Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing Computer Science?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

2BA1 is the hardest maths course in CS, the course page (including notes) is here: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/Courses/2BA1/

If you find that easy, and you want to be challenged in maths, then CS may not be for you.

You have to remember that those manning the open day are people in the courses they are studying. I can tell you all about CS, but not very much about maths, and I certainly can't contrast them for you. TBH, it sounds like engineering could be a good path for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Okay, so reading thruough these things (took a look at that 2BA1, Im handyt enough at the induction things, but some of the other problems I havent a clue how to go about them.) Im not looking to be challenged for maths REALLY, I mean, Im quite used to breezing through it (although I should probably put more work into it for the A this year) but still, I just want to know that Ill have something to fall back on if I dont want to do programming. Looking at careers as trader/broker, Programmer or maybe some sort of computer modelling, and not too sure where I should be loking for it ( I know ts kind of off topic but dont know where else to go I emailed whatever address was given on the site, and tehy said the new website would be up shortly and that I could consult that for any questions I may have)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'd probably recommend Engineering in Trinity then for you. 2 maths classes a year, and you get a maths degree on top of your engineering degree. It's common for the 1st 2 years combining lots of disciplines so at the end of 2nd year you can decide whether you want to do Computer Engineering or be a Civil engineer etc... they do programming in C++ in 1st and 2nd year, but it's not done in as much detail as if you were doing CS. I'm in CS now and it's a good course if you put the work in and are interested in the material. Don't be put off by the know it all nay sayers above! There's one or two dodgy lecturers/courses in CS but you get that no matter what you do.

Mr Drifter, I agree with the above in that Engineering in TCD is a good course. I did it myself (graduated in 2003) and went down the Civils route in third year, although you might prefer the Computers or Electronics routes.

The maths was interesting (however I think it's officially a general arts degree you get rather than a maths degree - you can still teach second level maths with your TCD Engineering qualification though!)

We did C++ and Java programming in first and second year.

It's a good course to do if you feel you need the two years to try a few different disciplines to make your mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TheCrimsonClown

Sorry for bumping an old topic but I thought it was better than making a new one.

A lot of the discussion here has been about how maths centric the course and that's basically what I'm looking to find out as well. Having read through this topic and others, I'm still not sure what to think. If I'm finding LC Highers Maths challenging, how big of an issue is it going to be if I decide to do CS? It's seems like the course is for me, I'm just worried that the maths end of it will hold me back.

Can anyone doing the course shed some light?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Sorry for bumping an old topic but I thought it was better than making a new one.

A lot of the discussion here has been about how maths centric the course and that's basically what I'm looking to find out as well. Having read through this topic and others, I'm still not sure what to think. If I'm finding LC Highers Maths challenging, how big of an issue is it going to be if I decide to do CS? It's seems like the course is for me, I'm just worried that the maths end of it will hold me back.

If you get into the course (which requires a HC3 in maths) then it shouldn't be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I don't know if this is too general of a statement to make but here goes;

In some respects, the maths gets a little easier in third level. Lecturers tend to focus more on the theory in lectures, which can be hard to follow in lectures, but then when you go back later with a textbook in hand, you begin to understand things from the very basic concepts up, which is nice.

I used to hate LC maths when we started on calculus

Teacher: "To integrate this function, you just add one to the power, and divide by the new power"

Me: "Why"

Teacher: "Cause integration is the opposite of differentiation, and to differentiate you multiply by the power, and reduce the power by one. Duh."

Me: "What exactly is differentiation again?"

Teacher: "I just told you, it's when you multiply by the power, and reduce the power by one. Double Duh."

Etc.

Again, take this with a pinch of salt, that's just my experience of it (More understanding, less doing ten years worth of sample papers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The short answer is no; not really.

Whilst there are some fairly difficult mathematical aspects (especially applied probability in 3rd year); they will not make or break your degree.

In an ideal world you'll engage with all the mathematical content and learn how to apply it to relevant programming/design problems; but it's by no means a requirement.

In addition most of the mathematical content is fairly well contained and similar rote learning methodologies work as per the leaving certificate.

ronivek wrote: »
    In addition most of the mathematical content is fairly well contained and similar rote learning methodologies work as per the leaving certificate.

Lol at Ron's ninja moves. My post looks stupid now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

devinejay wrote: »
    Lol at Ron's ninja moves. My post looks stupid now :D

Well all I meant was that it's possible to just muddle through the mathematics and scrape passes by using good old tried and tested leaving certificate strategies (in TCD Computer Science at least) :)

Nah your timing was too good, I maintain that you're a ninja.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Ah cool,i was wondering about maths,too. I'll probably struggle for that C3 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jonathan_UCD

Hi mate, I'm currently doing Computer Science at UCD. I remember on one of the opening days. I remember being told that maths Higher Level is essential to any Computer Science degree. This made me worry alot about what I was doing. As I had UCD down on my CAO as I was doing Ordinary Level maths. I am no genius when it comes to Maths. But I found when I got to UCD that I was capable of handling the maths envolved. I know in UCD you basically go through everything you learned in maths all over again in first year and basically cover the higher level syllabus. Like I said I'm not genius when it comes to Maths but I was able to find the maths easy enough. I find the teachings in Maths I have learned so much more than when I was at school.
    Need some more reinsurance or have any questions just PM me.
    I normally don't look on the TCD section just stumbled onto this topic from a search.

Advertisement