Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing Computer Science?

Options
  • 02-01-2009 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

the following course

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=64

basically is there anyone doing the computer science course?

If so would you mind telling me about it. I am thinking of becoming a programmer and I heard C++ is covered.

any help is appreciated.

Comments

Do a quick search for Computer Science on this forum, you'll get some previous responses to this question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If you actually had computer science in the title you'd get more people replying.

/mod powers abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I'm currently in first year Computer Science, it's good enough so far. Haven't seen any C++ yet (mainly Java), but it could be on it's way, maybe in second or third year, not quite sure though.

Anyway, if you've any more specific questions feel free to ask, although as a previous poster pointed out there've been a few similar threads before. General course information about the modules and stuff can be found here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm a CSLL, which is not quite the same thing. JC, Nehpets, and karlr are the CS students in my year who have been seen here, there are also a few others.

I did/do the programming and maths components. Programming is Java for 1st year, and 2nd year is Java, Eiffel, C and C++.

I mean, if you want to be a programmer, CS is the only course you should be thinking of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is it any good? Out of all the colleges running it do you think from your own experinces and hearing from others that TCD is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm in first year and it's pretty good so far. As said, we only do Java in first year and then C++ is covered later on in the course.

If you do physics and you're good at it then that'd be a plus. That's probably the part I struggle most with so far.

I have a friend doing Computer Applications in DCU and he seems to like it. It's a lot easier to get into that course though (300 points and C3 in ordinary level maths), so while you might be quite able to do the course your classes could be held back my people who really shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

If you do physics and you're good at it then that'd be a plus. That's probably the part I struggle most with so far.

Maybe just to clarify, none of that Electrotech stuff will show up in later years, so if you don't have Physics, you might struggle a bit with one class (of six) in first year, but you won't have anything more to worry about than anyone else in the rest of the course (i.e. the years that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Check out http://www.scss.tcd.ie/courses/ba/prospective/ if you haven't already. You can click on current students too and check out the subjects for all the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Thanks for all the help guys

And I do physics :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MrDrifter

Hey im thinking of it too, went up to the open day and felt kinda disappointed at how I was treated. Basically, is there any reason I should choose CS here rather than say mathematics? Honestly now. Im not sure what I want to do, (during uni or after) and I want to be competent enough in computers (programming and modelling)but also to ahve a strong background in maths too.

like, how much maths do you guys do?

MrDrifter wrote: »
    Hey im thinking of it too, went up to the open day and felt kinda disappointed at how I was treated. Basically, is there any reason I should choose CS here rather than say mathematics? Honestly now. Im not sure what I want to do, (during uni or after) and I want to be competent enough in computers (programming and modelling)but also to ahve a strong background in maths too.

like, how much maths do you guys do?

Just out of interest, how were you treated? and who treated you this way?

Jako8 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how were you treated? and who treated you this way?

Found that there was a "we don't need you, you need us" attitude from anyone I talked to. granted the computer science guy was relaly really dead on, but he didnt answer any of the questions I asked him, kinda steered around them.
    Talked to a PostGrad student about mathematics, and he was a bit of a **** about it, basically told me that Trinity was too good for me.

Found that there was a "we don't need you, you need us" attitude from anyone I talked to. granted the computer science guy was relaly really dead on, but he didnt answer any of the questions I asked him, kinda steered around them.
    Talked to a PostGrad student about mathematics, and he was a bit of a **** about it, basically told me that Trinity was too good for me.

That sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dongasaurus

I wouldn't and couldn't recommend CS.

Was the person you were talking to ginge?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I wouldn't and couldn't recommend CS.

That's a bit harsh. What are you basing your opinion on?

tabouli wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh. What are you basing your opinion on?
    Currently 2 and a half years of the course. 3rd year is the straw that broke the camels back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

Currently 2 and a half years of the course. 3rd year is the straw that broke the camels back.

What are you talking about, you haven't done any work this year.

Im in a bit of dilemma here that i need help with. TCD says for CS you need a "C3 in Higher Level Leaving Certificate Mathematics (or equivalent)" Does that mean that entry requirments are a C3 in HL Maths or a A1 in OL Maths?? I am doing HL maths at the moment but am thinking to dropping to past as my results are just consistently D2's etc

• Advertisement

What are you talking about, you haven't done any work this year.
    And that's CS's fault.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Im in a bit of dilemma here that i need help with. TCD says for CS you need a "C3 in Higher Level Leaving Certificate Mathematics (or equivalent)" Does that mean that entry requirments are a C3 in HL Maths or a A1 in OL Maths?? I am doing HL maths at the moment but am thinking to dropping to past as my results are just consistently D2's etc

By 'equivalent' I'm pretty sure they're referring to other end-of-school exams like the A-Levels. So it'd be C3 in HL LC Maths.

Myth wrote: »
    By 'equivalent' I'm pretty sure they're referring to other end-of-school exams like the A-Levels. So it'd be C3 in HL LC Maths.

Sh*t =/ Why cant TCD have a more informative website like UCD's one its like drawing blood from a stone to find what requirements are needed and the points requirements arent even displayed. Oh well looks like it ll be CS in UCD then =/

Sh*t =/ Why cant TCD have a more informative website like UCD's one its like drawing blood from a stone to find what requirements are needed and the points requirements arent even displayed. Oh well looks like it ll be CS in UCD then =/
    As the points change every year and the course page never changes it's pretty intelligent web design.

Also, it's a terrible idea to choose courses based on points. The whole idea of the CAO is to give you the course you prefer most. You shouldn't put medecine top of your CAO if you don't want to do it, since you COULD get 600 points, get offered medecine (which you don't want), and not be able to choose a lower course in your order of preference.

http://www.tcd.ie/courses/content/pdf/undergraduate-prospectus-2009.pdf

There

Entry requirements and last year's points for every course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Also, qualifax.ie has such information on it for all courses (not just TCD).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

tabouli wrote: »
    I'm currently in first year Computer Science, it's good enough so far. Haven't seen any C++ yet (mainly Java), but it could be on it's way, maybe in second or third year, not quite sure though.
    You'll start C & C++ in second year, along with more advanced java topics, and an introduction to eiffel.
    Mark200 wrote: »
    As mark said, this is only one module in first year. The physics dies off quite rapidly after that. You still do mathsy subjects, programming, software engineering, hardware & group programming projects.
    Hey im thinking of it too, went up to the open day and felt kinda disappointed at how I was treated.
    To clarify, were you disappointed on the whole, or was it in particular with computer science or maths? I was working the open day on the computer science stand, and I did one of the lab tours. I would really really hope I didn't steer anyone away from the course.

If you feel any of your questions were left unanswered, here is the ideal place to ask, and I will gladly help you make your decision. (I'm in final year of Computer Science)

snappieT wrote: »
    To clarify, were you disappointed on the whole, or was it in particular with computer science or maths? I was working the open day on the computer science stand, and I did one of the lab tours. I would really really hope I didn't steer anyone away from the course.

it was more of the general attitude of people there. there was an air of "we're better than you so just accept it, we dont need you"
    It wasn't anyone in particular. I didnt do the lab tour, I managed to mix up my times somehow and showed up at the wrong time and was under pressure for time to get back to waterford. But I just felt that alot of my questions were half answered.
    The main worry I have is that Im interested in maths, computers and how stuff works in general, so I've been thinking along the lines of engineering, maths or CS in trinity or UCD. I'm an indecisive person at the best of times, but my fear is that Ill do Computer science and realise halfway through my 3rd year that I want to be a civil engineer, or if I do engineering that I'll realise halfway through that I want to be a programmer/debugger or something. I know its a choice everyon ahs to make but Im trying to do this properly first time around.

One of the biggest questions I had was how much maths is there in the computer science course? I dont want to be left with no maths at all like if you get me.....

And thanks for your help by the way.

it was more of the general attitude of people there. there was an air of "we're better than you so just accept it, we dont need you"
    It wasn't anyone in particular. I didnt do the lab tour, I managed to mix up my times somehow and showed up at the wrong time and was under pressure for time to get back to waterford. But I just felt that alot of my questions were half answered.
    The main worry I have is that Im interested in maths, computers and how stuff works in general, so I've been thinking along the lines of engineering, maths or CS in trinity or UCD. I'm an indecisive person at the best of times, but my fear is that Ill do Computer science and realise halfway through my 3rd year that I want to be a civil engineer, or if I do engineering that I'll realise halfway through that I want to be a programmer/debugger or something. I know its a choice everyon ahs to make but Im trying to do this properly first time around.

One of the biggest questions I had was how much maths is there in the computer science course? I dont want to be left with no maths at all like if you get me.....

I'm in maths now. You definitely won't be left with no maths. So far this year we've done matrics (more than just the 2 x 2 stuff we did for LC) and more integration. What we're doing right now is sequences and series, and soon we'll be starting logic which apparently is nothing like anything we've done before.

So yeah, in summary don't worry at all about not getting any maths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

I'd probably recommend Engineering in Trinity then for you. 2 maths classes a year, and you get a maths degree on top of your engineering degree. It's common for the 1st 2 years combining lots of disciplines so at the end of 2nd year you can decide whether you want to do Computer Engineering or be a Civil engineer etc... they do programming in C++ in 1st and 2nd year, but it's not done in as much detail as if you were doing CS. I'm in CS now and it's a good course if you put the work in and are interested in the material. Don't be put off by the know it all nay sayers above! There's one or two dodgy lecturers/courses in CS but you get that no matter what you do.

Advertisement