Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g unlock released, anyone have success with it on irish networks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Your right theres nothing wrong with giving it a go. I'd just feel more comfortable waiting until it works pretty much every time, not a crime for such an expensive item.

Getting it to work pretty much every time will prob never happen, these guys on the Dev team do all this for FREE! If big companies like Microsoft/sony/Apple or whoever cant get things right all the time, what chance do these guys have?

If no one feels comfortable with Jailbreaking/unlocking then do not do it, your missing out IMO though. People need to realise the iphone is not a new born child, its a fecking phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What effect would the previous use of a sim proxy have on unlocking?

None

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

Some of the SIM proxie addaptor dont work on 2.2, so if you updated to 2.2 and 2.28.00 and you could not get the unlock to work then you would be stuck with a phone that didnt work. It would have not effect on the performance of the phone if thats what you meant

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dizzybridie

Have Iphone 3g with 2.2 and 02.28.00. Bought Turbo Sim and still getting error msg 'network no longer available' when i go to select vodafone IE from carrier list... Am i doing something wrong??? Do I have to get all this software that everyone talks about???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Have Iphone 3g with 2.2 and 02.28.00. Bought Turbo Sim and still getting error msg 'network no longer available' when i go to select vodafone IE from carrier list... Am i doing something wrong??? Do I have to get all this software that everyone talks about???

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, but unfortunately the Apple 2.2 firmware disabled most sim proxies like turbosim. You might be able to get the turbosim software updated if you bought a programmer for it, but the yellowsn0w software unlock is free..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What firmware is on the phone? Go to:
    1. settings
    2. general
    3. about
    4. version (it's probably either 2.1 or 2.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I must keep an eye on this...Will be getting an AT&T one in a few weeks so I'll need it, planning to use it on Meteor. Just curious, would I be able to activate and unlock the phone without an AT&T SIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Adro947 wrote: »
    Just curious, would I be able to activate and unlock the phone without an AT&T SIM?

Yes. Use quickpwn to activate and jailbreak and then open Cydia and download yellowsn0w to unlock. You'll need access to a wifi internet connection.

Yes. Use quickpwn to activate and jailbreak and then open Cydia and download yellowsn0w to unlock. You'll need access to a wifi internet connection.

Thanks, I'll report back when I get to try it! :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

I must keep an eye on this...Will be getting an AT&T one in a few weeks so I'll need it, planning to use it on Meteor. Just curious, would I be able to activate and unlock the phone without an AT&T SIM?

Aren't you going to have to sign a 2-year contract to get an AT&T phone?

Aren't you going to have to sign a 2-year contract to get an AT&T phone?

Second hand + friend + long story...It's not activated and in very good condition...

Second hand + friend + long story...It's not activated and in very good condition...

goto iclarified.com and you should be work everything out
    gl

I had to uninstall yellowsn0w. After I got it to work using a random combination of switches in the mobile terminal followed by 5 Hail Marys and the waving of a chicken heart over the phone, it became totally erratic after a reboot. It shifted between showing a signal (but being unable to make outgoing calls), showing "Searching...", showing "No Service" and showing 5 dots. No combination of the Airplane mode switch, the yellowsn0w switches, the chicken heart or the Hail Marys could get it to work.

So I'm back to waiting for a new iteration. It's not like I need to use a non-o2 SIM at the minute.

So if you're planning to buy a locked phone and rely on yellowsn0w to unlock it, I suggest you wait a while longer. It's not ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I had to uninstall yellowsn0w. After I got it to work using a random combination of switches in the mobile terminal followed by 5 Hail Marys and the waving of a chicken heart over the phone, it became totally erratic after a reboot. It shifted between showing a signal (but being unable to make outgoing calls), showing "Searching...", showing "No Service" and showing 5 dots. No combination of the Airplane mode switch, the yellowsn0w switches, the chicken heart or the Hail Marys could get it to work.

So I'm back to waiting for a new iteration. It's not like I need to use a non-o2 SIM at the minute.

So if you're planning to buy a locked phone and rely on yellowsn0w to unlock it, I suggest you wait a while longer. It's not ready.
    5 Hail Marys ? Thanks for the tip, I was only saying 3 :D:D:D he he Funny post ^ :)

I would say buy it as the seem to be filtering into england with new baseband firmware so you wont be able to unlock

coadyj wrote: »
    I would say buy it as the seem to be filtering into england with new baseband firmware so you wont be able to unlock

Where'd you hear this?

FWIW, the very latest version of yellowsn0w (0.9.6) is, for me, much improved over the last one. It basically works as advertised on my phone and had no problems after rebooting and changing the SIM. No need to monkey around with mobile terminal or any other voodoo. YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

Same here with 0.9.6 on Vodafone.

Now there's no need to switch airplane mode on/off to find the network after a reboot.

Judging by the success rate on the devteam feedback page it looks like it's nearly there for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

FWIW, the very latest version of yellowsn0w (0.9.6) is, for me, much improved over the last one. It basically works as advertised on my phone and had no problems after rebooting and changing the SIM. No need to monkey around with mobile terminal or any other voodoo. YMMV.

As a matter of interest, have you had any issues with the in-built speaker on the phone when making a call or with the bluetooth headset since upgrading to 0.9.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yellowsn0w only works with the latest baseband firmware.

• Advertisement

What are the APN settings for a prepay vodafone SIM? This information doesn't seem to be in the booklet that came with the SIM.

You must have been half asleep when posting this, you of all people on here seem to know what they are talking about in reference to yellowsn0w.

You did drop the ball here though, yellowsn0w only works on the latest baseband.

I see the rumours of this on the dev team blog, but I'm pretty sure they've been shown to be false. Somebody alleged that there was a firmware 2.21 with baseband 2.28.01 but seems to have been baseband 2.08.01 (from firmware 2.0.2) and just a mistake.

So for the moment and probably the next few weeks (since it takes a while for new software to be preloaded on new phones), all purchased iPhone 3Gs should be unlockable.

I see the rumours of this on the dev team blog, but I'm pretty sure they've been shown to be false. Somebody alleged that there was a firmware 2.21 with baseband 2.28.01 but seems to have been baseband 2.08.01 (from firmware 2.0.2) and just a mistake.

So for the moment and probably the next few weeks (since it takes a while for new software to be preloaded on new phones), all purchased iPhone 3Gs should be unlockable.

I know people who work in phone shops in the UK, they tell me that have sh1t loads of phones unsold.

There is no way Apple have new phones into the retail channel this fast, its just not possible, the Dev Team only told the world that they had got it working on the newest baseband on the day of release.....

Thinking about it, they may have known this all along, but to stop Apple bringing out a new update, they tell the world they have cracked an old Update......

I think I might be on to something here......

Thinking about it, they may have known this all along, but to stop Apple bringing out a new update, they tell the world they have cracked an old Update......

I think I might be on to something here......

I'll bet you're right! The dev team told everyone to stick with the baseband to 2.1 because, if they announced they were cracking 2.2, Apple could easily come out with an update.

I was one of those who did what they said (used pwnage to upgrade while leaving 2.1 baseband in place) and I admit I was a little annoyed that, when the unlock was finally released, I had to do a full backup and restore plus quickpwn in order to get it to work.

Now I see that they may have just been putting Apple off the scent. Smart lads.

Meanwhile, the new yellowsn0w is working great. Calls in, calls out, 3G internet all working on Vodafone prepay SIM. The only small hassle is I have to enter the APN for the Vodafone SIM whereas the O2 SIM seems to have the information coded onto it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I was one of those who did what they said (used pwnage to upgrade while leaving 2.1 baseband in place) and I admit I was a little annoyed that, when the unlock was finally released, I had to do a full backup and restore plus quickpwn in order to get it to work.

I did the same, can you describe or point me to an article on how to get from the 2.1 baseband (via pwnage) to 2.2 baseband without losing all my sms, etc. since I did the pwnage?

bk wrote: »
    I did the same, can you describe or point me to an article on how to get from the 2.1 baseband (via pwnage) to 2.2 baseband without losing all my sms, etc. since I did the pwnage?

Here's one.

The only things to watch out for:

1. make sure you've backed up your phone in iTunes. If you have jailbroken apps, back them up first with AptBackup and then do the backup in iTunes.

2. You need to do a full restore (not an upgrade) of the iPhone software and then restore the backup. It'll prompt you.

3. After the restore of the backup, don't let it sync (this may be voodoo, but the process didn't work the first time when I let it sync). Quit the sync.

4. Then use quickpwn and follow the instructions. It'll put Cydia back on your phone.

5. Use Cydia to redownload AptBackup. Run it and hit "Restore" to get back your jailbroken apps (not needed if you don't have any).

6. Now you can sync your phone. It should be the same as it was except with the newer baseband and all your icons mixed up. No way around the last part, alas. You can now install yellowsn0w from Cydia (source is found at the dev team link).

Oh, and if the quickpwn process doesn't work you may end up with a phone that shows the Apple (or Pineapple, if you chose that option) logo and never gives you the springboard. It just keeps rebooting. If that happens, you're going to have to enter DFU mode (google it), connect it to iTunes, restore from the backup, etc.

Yellowsn0w only works with the latest baseband firmware.

there is a new baseband firmware called 2.28.01 which is being found on uk payg iphones, the dev team are yet to comment on it, but it is being reported.

Im keeping a strick eye on it,

btw vodadone, 0.9.6 works a treat

I read about a few individual cases on diffrent forms, i did see that comment where the person asked him if he had the the 2.0.2 baseband firmware

• Advertisement

What are the APN settings for a prepay vodafone SIM? This information doesn't seem to be in the booklet that came with the SIM.

Ok first you go to cydia and install "TZines Hack"

Then ssh into your phone and look for a file called proxy.pac , should be in the
    /private/var/root folder, but i dont remember off hand.

then open the proxy.pac file and replace the inside with

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0"))
    return "PROXY 10.24.59.100:80";
    else
    return "DIRECT";
    }

then goto apn settings

live.vodafone.ie
    dublin
    dublin

and give it ago, you can really do much on it, a lot of outgoing ports are closed, just 80 and 225

Advertisement