Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g unlock released, anyone have success with it on irish networks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 damo2006

Having trouble i have done everything now, but no service trying it on a meteor sim card, can someone maybe give me network details for meteor maybe, at my wits end at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

I had the outgoing calls problem with a Vodafone sim on an AT&T iphone 3g.

I got around it by booting with an o2 prepay sim in the phone.

Once I have an o2 signal by re-inserting the o2 sim I remove the o2 sim and put in the Vodafone sim.

Now all functions for the phone work on Vodafone including outgoing calls.

If I reboot I have to do the same again.

It might work with other sims as well.

Worth a try if you have a spare sim or can borrow one.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon as the dev team blog is full of comments with people unable to make outgoing calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

rgbm1 wrote: »
    I had the outgoing calls problem with a Vodafone sim on an AT&T iphone 3g.

I got around it by booting with an o2 prepay sim in the phone.

Once I have an o2 signal by re-inserting the o2 sim I remove the o2 sim and put in the Vodafone sim.

Now all functions for the phone work on Vodafone including outgoing calls.

If I reboot I have to do the same again.

It might work with other sims as well.

Worth a try if you have a spare sim or can borrow one.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon as the dev team blog is full of comments with people unable to make outgoing calls.

I know you probably came up with that fix on your own, but a guy on the site described simular proceduer and said it fail a few hours later. How is yours going?

Im still using my grevey 3g untill im sure its going to work on vodafone, apperently it was working yesterday, but im sure i will wake up tomorrow and all will be fixed :)

Its been working since yesterday, no loss of signal at all.

I see people are loosing signal but I've been ok, I upgraded to 0.9.4 this afternoon and its been ok since then as well.

Hopefully it stays that way until a proper fix comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Update on my experiences with the iPhone 3G YS Unlock:

Got 0.9.1 working but not reliable, i.e. power off etc would lose network and lots of hassle to get back.

So restored with 2.2 fw (2.28.00), quickpwn 2.2-1 for win, added cydia and installer (no boot logo change) and activated.

iPhone is one of the first gen 3g AT&T (MB046LL)

Cydia loaded and updated as per std requests, then BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w 0.9.4 added via cydia.

Then followed instructions below.
    1. Install BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w from Cydia
    2. Disable everything in BossPrefs
    3. Reboot your iPhone using BossPrefs
    4. Wait 1.30 min when you see lockscreen
    5. Take your sim out and insert it

Worked! First time on new beta 0.9.4
    Restored backup of contacts and sms messages via iTunes and restarted to confirm function.

Again worked first time after SIM removal trick. (or Airplane Mode activated for 2-3 secs)

PS: No PIN on SIM

SIMS Tested:

Vodafone Irl: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Yes

3 Irl: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Yes

Meteor: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Unknown

:)

• Advertisement

scottyboy wrote: »
    Update on my experiences with the iPhone 3G YS Unlock:

Got 0.9.1 working but not reliable, i.e. power off etc would lose network and lots of hassle to get back.

So restored with 2.2 fw (2.28.00), quickpwn 2.2-1 for win, added cydia and installer (no boot logo change) and activated.

iPhone is one of the first gen 3g AT&T (MB046LL)

Cydia loaded and updated as per std requests, then BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w 0.9.4 added via cydia.

Then followed instructions below.
    1. Install BossPrefs and Yellowsn0w from Cydia
    2. Disable everything in BossPrefs
    3. Reboot your iPhone using BossPrefs
    4. Wait 1.30 min when you see lockscreen
    5. Take your sim out and insert it

Worked! First time on new beta 0.9.4
    Restored backup of contacts and sms messages via iTunes and restarted to confirm function.

Again worked first time after SIM removal trick. (or Airplane Mode activated for 2-3 secs)

PS: No PIN on SIM

SIMS Tested:

Vodafone Irl: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Yes

3 Irl: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Yes

Meteor: Outgoing Calls: Yes, Incoming Calls: Yes, SMS: Yes, 3G Data: Unknown

:)

Your the only one to get it working on vodafone sim, what type of sim is it and when did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Nothing special with any of the sims.

Bought meteor pay as you go sim in may 08 to go with iPhone 2g

Then bought 3 irl pay as you go sim mid dec 08 to go with iPhone 3g

Had lots of problems getting either the meteor or 3 sims to work with rebel proxy sim with fw 2.2 until the yellowsnow.

Bought vodafone irl sim last week as one last attempt to get rebel sim working. It didn't!

All sims pay as you go. All needed to removed briefly to work (or airplane mode used).

Note: 0.9.1 of yellowsnow worked but badly. Not stable over time and use. All success has been with 0.9.4.

Currently mid port to 3 to avail of 1gb of 3g data per month for €9.99 (pre pay!) plus they give you €10 of credit free per month for 12 months. Sure beats o2 iPhone contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so i can buy an iphone in north now, bring it down, unlock it, and use my meteor sim with it?
    is there features i wont be able to use because im not on official carrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

zuroph wrote: »
    so i can buy an iphone in north now, bring it down, unlock it, and use my meteor sim with it?
    is there features i wont be able to use because im not on official carrier?

You may not have a 3G signal depending on where you live with meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

creggy wrote: »
    You may not have a 3G signal depending on where you live with meteor.
    but id still be able to use the slower effort right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

zuroph wrote: »
    but id still be able to use the slower effort right?

Correct.

It looks like different types of sims are causing issues with the unlock, even on the same network.

The dev team have put up a site to give feedback:

http://report.yellowsn0w.com/submit.php

I've installed 0.9.5, the sim no longer needs to be re-inserted, just switch airplane mode on/off to get signal.

Outgoing calls on Vodafone now working. Everything seems ok, happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Had problems with outgoing calls on 0.9.4. Installed 0.9.5.

Calls in/out ok
    Text in/out ok
    GPRS/3G ok
    Wifi ok

Appears to be a fully functioning unlock using Vodafone IE sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Not working for me at all. Using 0.9.5. Tried with Vodafone sim and just get no service after about 15 seconds or shows no reception on the signal bars, with Meteor just shows no reception on the signal bars. :(

Any tips?

rgbm1 wrote: »
    I've installed 0.9.5, the sim no longer needs to be re-inserted, just switch airplane mode on/off to get signal.

Outgoing calls on Vodafone now working. Everything seems ok, happy days. :)

Nice one, looks like this is the most stable release, can we get a few more confirms with vodafone with 0.9.5

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

yea same here no go on vodafone prepaid i've been trying it all day with 9.4 and just tried 9.5 :( this is most disconcerting

menuisier wrote: »
    yea same here no go on vodafone prepaid i've been trying it all day with 9.4 and just tried 9.5 :( this is most disconcerting

I would try a full restore to 2.2 and quickpwn and try it again from scrach, this IS working with vodafone

gl

i have just restoring it to 2.2 again in itunes then QuickPwn it and still no joy, did it work for you first time with 9.5 on vodafone no rubbing your head and patting your belly while saying a little prayer?
    also do you have to have a sim card from the iphone's original network to unlock it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

coadyj wrote: »
    I would try a full restore to 2.2 and quickpwn and try it again from scrach, this IS working with vodafone

gl
    Not working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I told you patience is a virtue. The first few beta versions of this will be touch and go.
    I'd wait until all the problems are sloved and people are having no trouble with it.

i.e when it works every time no matter which tutorial you follow, like the jailbreak.

I told you patience is a virtue. The first few beta versions of this will be touch and go.
    I'd wait until all the problems are sloved and people are having no trouble with it.

i.e when it works every time no matter which tutorial you follow, like the jailbreak.

But all that means is they can't use something the couldnt use before, I said to TEST it as it will not brick you iphone which was your original warning. Please stop trying to be a know it all about this, there is nothing wrong with giving it a go Unless you were using the sim proxie unlock

Not working for me.

Ok if your not getting signal at all try this after you reboot

Download and install BossPrefs, Download and install openssh from cydia
    Download and install winscp (for windows, not sure what its called for mac)

copy the following code and paste it into notepad and save it as load (not load.txt, save it as all files)

launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
    launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist
    ScreenGrab
    /Applications/BossPrefs.app/3g.png

Get the ip of you iphone and open winscp and ssh into the phone

copy "load" to /Applications/BossPrefs.app/services

reboot phone, when the phone has been on the slide to unlock screen for a min, slide and unlock and launch bossprefs

Now slide the load button to on and wait for 20 seconds, then slide it back to off and wait for it to reload the baseband

This code will reboot the baseband and should fix a none connection issue, let me know how it works

so im probably the last person to get my iphone unlocked but if there is anyone else out there having problems on prepay vodafone the tutorial on hackint0sh got it going for me eventually.
    all calls
    all texts
    and 3G happy out :D

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61827

menuisier wrote: »
    so im probably the last person to get my iphone unlocked but if there is anyone else out there having problems on prepay vodafone the tutorial on hackint0sh got it going for me eventually.
    all calls
    all texts
    and 3G happy out :D

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61827

Nice one, glad to hear you got it working,
    Im going to write a bosspref toggle to do

yellowsn0w -c
    yellowsn0w -r
    yellowsn0w -q
    airplane mode on
    airplane mode off

would be handy to have a quick little reset toggal, thats what the above code is, ill get cracking on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

I'm getting "Invalid SIM" when using a Meteor card with 0.9.5.

I've tried some of the voodoo (switching airplane mode on and off, switching 3G on and off, rebooting the phone) and nothing works so far.

I'm reluctant to "reset network settings" because I don't know what it does. Is it going to erase all my O2 settings and, if so, how can I get them back?

[Edit:] Finally got it to work but had to enter mobileterminal and tried a bunch of things. I'm not sure which one got it to work. But the phone is now unlocked. Yellowsn0w, however, is still not ready for prime time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yogert

Using a meteor sim and at the first few attempts got the invalid sim message. So I put the original 02 sim in and after a while I noticed it had no signal, popped in the meteor sim and quicker that you can say yellowsn0w a signal appeared. Its working perfectly so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Has anyone had any problems with using the iPhones inbuilt speaker during calls since they updated to 0.9.5? Mine sounds like a modem dialing up since the weekend when I upgraded to 0.9.5, it could be coincidental, but I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

coadyj wrote: »
    Please stop trying to be a know it all about this, there is nothing wrong with giving it a go Unless you were using the sim proxie unlock

Your right theres nothing wrong with giving it a go. I'd just feel more comfortable waiting until it works pretty much every time, not a crime for such an expensive item.

Advertisement