Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: Home or Away??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You're all traitors to Родина!

If you take what I just said seriously I'll come to your house and kill yell at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can't ****ing wait to get off this fecking island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

I have lived away before ... and would happily do so again. Quite fancy the states ...but DH's job wont transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

An island in southern Thailand(phi phi) ior the south of france, if i was back in my early 20's - usa or brazil strictly for the women though!! dont think i would leave forever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It would have been interesting if there was a poll from 5 years ago with the same people replying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Ireland all the way so long as I remain as wealthy as I am and have easy access to Europe with cheapish fares from Aer Lingus and cattle class learyairways.

Staying here all the time would be agony though, so long as I can feck off away for as long as I want with ease who cares.

Good Points about Ireland:

Our sense of Humour, The Craic, The Drink, GAA, Bateing Cork, Not a huge amount of wealth is needed to be better than the majority, the innocence that exists and ignorance is great amongst the masses. Our people and culture is nice, everybody is lazy so when you do nothing it is accepted and glorified. The nice Irish women who do exsist and are really sound at the end of it all. Transportation, We are actually quite lucky to have a transportation system like we have, iti is sh1te but far ahead of other countries and not too dear either. Our firendship with America and closeness to it, a flight to yanksville is no biggy and not too dear either.

Bad Points about Ireland: The Rain, it would be a great little country if we could roof it, noseiness especially in the countryside, begrudgery, Fianna Fail, the fat ugly Irish women who litter the place and go into convulsions if you attempt to talk to them, the conservative attitude to Heterosexuality while Homo is glorified and celebrated. The general idiotic leftwing mentality and conservative catholic hypocritic also. Our cities have awful public transport while the country is not too bad.

All in Ireland gets my vote as I can't wait to see the masses revolt against Fianna Fail and as long as I have money i'm fine and recession proof, I'd hate to be broke and on the dole then I'd jump ship immediatly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cape Town please :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have to laugh at those who would stay for the irish ''sense of humour'', yeah, it's called alcohol!! It's also one of the reasons I'd leave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Go.

Having lived abroad for the last while, I've found I don't agree with the "nothing works and everyone is incompetent, but sure isn't a grand aul place anyway" attitude. Visually, Dublin isn't a nice place to be, the nightlife is awful and culturally its barren. As much as I love Ireland, it'd be ridiculous to say there aren't nicer places.

Last night, I was walking home and every one I met, no matter how drunk, said happy new year. I haven't got that kind of friendliness in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

I don't think I could leave Ireland forever. I wouldn't mind travelling for a while but I don't think I could stay away forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd love to go for a wander, and soon, but not forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'd head to Cyprus and bring a lifetime supply of Superquinn sausages with me! Sorted! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The rest of my life!?!

Of course I'd go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

would be gone in a heart beat but unfortunately circumstances dont currently allow it. am so sorry that i did not do it when younger. i would be heading for spain or italy(those latin women:D) i would advise any young person to go and explore the world before they settle down to a life of work and other ****e. would also rather bring friends than relations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

I know I can't say right now because who knows how the next few years will pan out but I've a strong desire to leave, see how it goes then decide home or away. As much as I love being Irish and like this country, I would love somewhere with better weather, better public transport and just a better general quality of life and with more things to do. You can do nothing in this fricking country except go out and drink, maybe a bit of cinema or sport or other mind-numbingly boring things (imo).

Definitely want to travel and see everywhere, if possible :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Go! If i didn't have kids in school here we'd be gone already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I'll be going in September 2009. For how long? No idea. Could be the big 'forever'....and I know several of my mates thinking along the same lines.

It's not that I don't love Ireland because I do but the way the country is being (mis)managed is a disgrace.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

I would love to stay here forever. Too bad I can't switch places with one of the people who'd like to move to the States!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,009 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

love to live in japan
    and hopefully learn japanese

i love the Japanese culture

from its anime to its technology

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PillyPen wrote: »
    I would love to stay here forever. Too bad I can't switch places with one of the people who'd like to move to the States!
    Marry me, we'll both get greencards and live happily ever after, albeit on different continents.

Semi joke, semi serious.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

PillyPen wrote: »

I'll trade with ya, your passport for mine, oh and you can have my north dublin accent as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I have lived in Ireland for 7yrs and it is home for me, i don't see myself leaving-i love it so much :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 winner92

As soon as I'm finished college i'm out of here! Don't get me wrong I love this country and I'm very proud of the fact that I am from here but I just cant stand the bad weather and poor infrastructure. I haven't decided where I'm going yet except that its going to be a warm and English speaking country country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Marry me, we'll both get greencards and live happily ever after, albeit on different continents.

Semi joke, semi serious.... ;)

I've already given Agent Smith first dibs on this sort of an arrangement. However, I am open to negotiations! :D
    Trinity1 wrote: »
    I'll trade with ya, your passport for mine, oh and you can have my north dublin accent as well :D

This might work out. I do love your accent, but would prefer to keep mine as the natives love it. Plus you'll need yours in America. It will get you laid. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

ill always call ireland home and id come back to visit regularly because anytime im travelling i miss it .. but cant see myself settling down and buying a house here.
    too expensive, sh1te weather bein the main reasons.
    dont think id move to the states, somewhere european and warm. maybe italy? tho the damn women would outshine me and id have to learn the language. effort!
    ill just go with winner92s idea, warm and english speaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

There's lots of places I'd like to go-Australia, Cuba, Japan... (I daydream a lot!) I don't know if it'll happen or not, depends on the studies. Maybe getting the J1 or something similiar should be the first step.
    Australia is not all that cracked up to be what you think it is. Even tho' it IS a good country.

Japan is definitely my favorite country and I would live there in a heartbeat if I could speak Japanese fluently.

Cuba is one of the countries that is high on my list of places to visit.

As for Ireland I would LOVE to move back there but my family is here :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'd prefer to stay.....but still keep a weekend holiday home here in oz! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I want to travel the world certainly, Ireland is a fantastic place don't get me wrong but I found that I appreciate it more when I'm abroad - the fact that I don't have to listen the endless whining from the media of what kind of people 'we' have become is also extremely appealing.

Advertisement