Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: Home or Away??

Options
  • 01-01-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

If you were given the choice to live the rest of your life in Ireland OR in any other country in the world, would you stay or would you go?

Obviously family, friends, job etc can't always go with you so I'd say you can bring immediate family and that would be it, also no increase/ decrease in income or anything, just a move from your life here to a life abroad.

Yes or No and the reason why either Ireland will always be your home or you'd be first in the queue to leave.

If given the option to move abroad would you stay or go? 81 votes

Stay
    0% 0 votes
    Go
    100% 81 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

No, I love living close to my family and I love living in Ireland. Especially the family thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My family is spread about a bit and unlike my OH's family I dont feel the need to see my mother every day of the week.

Her brother said to me once that he wouldnt know what he would do if he did not see his mother every day.

My sister lives in Australia and I would love to live out there as well. My mother visits when she can which up to last year was twice a year since 1999.

Leave behind the weather, the cost of living and the depression of living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I love Ireland. I don't want to move out of here, but house prices are extremely high. My friend paid $140,000 in the States for a near-mansion of a house, in a nice area, in a lively mid-sized city.

You wouldn't get a shed for that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

I would never leave for good, love it here too much. I know people say that its a rip off(which it can be) and the weather is sh1te and nothing works the way it should, but its home and for me the only place I'd ever want to settle down. Holidays are cool and all, but I always like coming home! There are many reasons why I love Ireland, two of the main one's are the people and the sense of humour, of course family are the main reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I would never leave for good, love it here too much. I know people say that its a rip off(which it can be) and the weather is sh1te and nothing works the way it should, but its home and for me the only place I'd ever want to settle down. Holidays are cool and all, but I always like coming home! There are many reasons why I love Ireland, two of the main one's are the people and the sense of humour, of course family are the main reason.

Hit the nail on the head there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's lots of places I'd like to go-Australia, Cuba, Japan... (I daydream a lot!) I don't know if it'll happen or not, depends on the studies. Maybe getting the J1 or something similiar should be the first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stay.

I love my country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I love Ireland, it is an awesome country. But if given the chance I would live elsewhere. America or Autralia maybe. I just get tired of the same crap here, plus if I was living in another country I would be seen as the exotic foreigner as opposed to the drunken simpleton I am here.
    I would prefer to have my friends go with me instead of my family though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If it wasn't for the shite weather then Ireland would be easily the best country in the world.

Unfortunately though the weather IS shite, and I like the sun.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'd like to move to a close-ish European country within 2hrs flight of home.

I love Ireland and like someone else mentioned you can't beat the sense of humour that can't be found anywhere else.

But It'd be more fun to come home for holidays and enjoy the people and novelty of constant rain and then return to live somewhere that actually has an infrastructure and decent climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd love to live abroad for a few years, but I can't.

In saying that though, I'd never leave Ireland for ever.

This is one of the best places in the world to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Stay - want to see how bad this country will be during the next decade. Looking forward to an economic depession, race riots, and mass emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't know.

Is there any other place that would be better for constructing a military base and raising a robot army without anybody noticing or caring?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I could definitely live in Italy , or the South of France, but i think i'd still like to have a base here. Impossible to fully detach myself from the place i call home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

See ya -if I could move and bring family and friends - absolutely. moving this year to Treviso in Italy for a couple of weeks see how goes. If I can grasp the language culture and get a reasonable job. If not somewhere else so giving the choice YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

im kinda not shore id like to hve to house's one in the south of france close to the west chost nice view and what nots and then another in ireland....

I like ireland when its sunny etc its beautifull country.... im not really that shore....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭DenMan

Have now returned to full time education and in the new year will be taking up Spanish lessons. Have lived abroad before (UK and Malta) while working and studying. Am involved in the film/tv industry so moving around is the name of the game in order to succeed. Have contacts overseas so Canada, Spain, Australia are all options for me. Ireland is pretty much tied up and quite limited so I have to look abroad. I need the heat aswell, really can't stand the cold. Family and friends are just a flight away and will always have a place to stay when the visit. Another 4-5 years I would say then it's career time overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Go. In an instant.

Having said that, it's probably at least partly as I'm only 21, so I really have the bug to travel and get away.

If I had my way, I'd leave, but I could see myself coming back for good after 3/4 years. I guess it's hard to say for definite having never been abroad for longer than a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Stay - would miss my family, it is hard to get my father to go anywhere for a day less ask him to move to another country.

But it would be nice, if I had the money, to have the option of a holiday home somewhere nice and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No fecking way i'm going to Cuba now...............:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In an ideal world I'd commute between my flavour of the month and home via scotty style transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Interesting responses. I'm pretty sure I'd leave. I like Ireland but I don't love it. Did anyone ever get the feeling they shoud have been born in another country? Strange thought I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

As eager as I am to travel and live abroad for a while, I do intend on raising my kids here/living out the overwhelming majority of my life here.

There's an awful lot of problems with this country, the weather, the government etc etc. but it's home and no place will ever feel like it as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I've been abroad 3 years now and it has taken me this long to settle in. I don't miss my family too much, around the major holidays of course. I am lucky to be in a good position financially to get home if I need/want to but don't think I'll ever return to Ireland to live.

Welcome back, rb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Randomness wrote: »
    Did anyone ever get the feeling they shoud have been born in another country?

Maybe Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Much as i would love to live abroad i dont think i could stay gone forever. I'd always end up coming back. I've always been obsessed with America, well the movies portrayal of (mostly suburban) America. Nothing to do with politics or real life just pure fantasy land for me really

And like Berty's OH i have to see my mammy almost everyday too or i'd miss her :)

I have an urge to go to Corsica this year for some reason but i'm afraid of flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I wouldn't mind living abroad for a few years but I don't think I'd like to leave forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

I'm leaving Ireland for good within the next 3 years. Ireland will always be my home and will always have a soft spot in my heart, but there is a whole world out there. Why would you restrict yourself to staying on the tiny island you were born on.

The climate here is a major push factor. Also the quality of life here seems to be abysmal, consisting of spending 3 hours communting to work every weekday on shítty public transport waiting for the weekend so we can blow all of our money on booze, just so we can face another week of drudgery. Some days I don't see sunlight at all. Its dark when I leave the house and dark when I get back. Give me Australia any day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Australia, London, Berlin, NY or Paris. I hate the thought of being stuck on this ****ty little island for the rest of my days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭georgem25

Its nice to go away but its also nice to come home to Ireland!!

Advertisement