Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week '09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ULEnts

yes we were only checking bags and making sure that people were club members etc. all the daytime activities are free up to 7pm after that it is ticket only are pay on the door.....

that includes Thursday's Rag Ball music will start at 3pm and its free in then at 6pm we will close the site and reopen at 6.20 with the Blizzards on stage for 8.30pm.....

see you all there!!!

I got a bottle of water taken off me yesterday when i tried to go into the cortyard, for gods sake like. Yer man said it was "their new policy."
    A bit much now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I got a bottle of water taken off me yesterday when i tried to go into the cortyard, for gods sake like. Yer man said it was "their new policy."
    A bit much now:(

as far as i know they are not allowed taste it to make sure its water so they just take everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Anyone see the state of Carysford Avenue last night? A car overturned just for kicks, and it was a resident owner, not even a student. Absolute mayhem. Too far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

dee8839 wrote: »
    Anyone see the state of Carysford Avenue last night? A car overturned just for kicks, and it was a resident owner, not even a student. Absolute mayhem. Too far?

You mean students turned over a residents car or a resident turned over someone elses car? Meh I dunno why I'm differentiating between students/residents students are residents albeit somewhat transient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yeah there was pictures sent on the Environmental Forum in UL of the turnover car and some damage to a tree and wheelie bins etc.

ye i heard about the car aswell apparently a group of lads who live together decided it was a good idea to do

residents car aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

The natives are fierce restless, I think we can expect some people may not be back next year.

Making an example of a dozen or so students by expelling them (and shouldn't the state be able to recoup the fees subsidy they received) wouldn't do the college any harm in the view of many of the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kingkane wrote: »
    The natives are fierce restless, I think we can expect some people may not be back next year.

Making an example of a dozen or so students by expelling them (and shouldn't the state be able to recoup the fees subsidy they received) wouldn't do the college any harm in the view of many of the locals.

Agreed especially the shower of ****wits above.....I mean a lot of us have done crazy things during college but deciding to over turn some persons car for the lulz is a bit idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ascendotum

Here's a link to a photo of the ... er event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Ascendotum wrote: »
    Here's a link to a photo of the ... er event.

Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

I would just like to say... although there has been loads of bitchin about the line up this year....

I too have been involved....

However when it coms to the Blizzards.... I don't give a **** how many times they have been here before...

They still put on a great ****ing show!!!

They are still a great band!!!

+ we are lucky to have them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Been in Cafysford Avenue in college court for the last 3 days, a few doors up from the over turned car, was probably the liveliest place during rag week and overall a great laugh, over turned car was taking it too far though no doubt, good few pics of it actually I'll put them up later.

Had a great rag week but by thursday night I had enough and went home at 1am, so wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

Best week ever :D
    Bernie Barret was not impressed with me haha.

Woahh at the car being tipped over thats a bit far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The way UL staff are talking it might be the last rag week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I really can't understand why, I heard from literally every taxi driver that it was much quiet this year than previous years, and besides a little incident in college court the thing went down fairly flawless.

If they really say this was the last rag week they are just looking for any reason to get rid of it.

5uspect wrote: »
    The way UL staff are talking it might be the last rag week...

i very very much doubt it. things might change but id be very suprised if there was no rag week next year

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

over turning a residents car isnt a little incident.. it's disrespectful and the students should be disciplined accordingly. Its such people that ruin RAG week for everyone, including what it is actually meant to be about... the charities...

sibh1 wrote: »
    over turning a residents car isnt a little incident.. it's disrespectful and the students should be disciplined accordingly.

that kinda goes without saying tbh and if they are caught im sure they will face immediete suspensions at the least and id imagine expulsions

the point is these isolated incidents should under no circumstances be allowed ruin it for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ULConnect

I remember one UK university (which name escapes me now :() tried to ban RAG week, and a bunch of nightclubs and promotions companies in the city all formed together to run their own RAG week.

Apparently there was just as much damage / binge drinking as previous years, with nothing going to charity. They took in back on the year after.

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    that kinda goes without saying tbh and if they are caught im sure they will face immediete suspensions at the least and id imagine expulsions

the point is these isolated incidents should under no circumstances be allowed ruin it for everyone

I think the problem here is "if they are caught." People know who did this, someone has to come forward and tell the truth...

sibh1 wrote: »
    I think the problem here is "if they are caught." People know who did this, someone has to come forward and tell the truth...

just because someone wont come forward with information or whatever is no reason for the rest of the student population to be affected in anyway imo

PeakOutput wrote: »
    just because someone wont come forward with information or whatever is no reason for the rest of the student population to be affected in anyway imo

I completely agree.. but vandalism is uncalled for.. it upsets the majority of students, the staff of the university and the residents around UL.. it also leads to the withdrawal of support from all three groups.. in which RAG week wouldnt be worth much.

Trust me I like a laugh as much as anyone, if anyone remembers the mud slide in college court on thursday of rag week 08, that was actually at my house.. but i dont believe in causing damage to other people's property.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Probably biggest issue was the mess left after the raft race as well as the car and assulats in College Court, and personally the general rubbish.
    (Why oh why can't people pick up their ****?)
    The SU promised that this year would be different and unfortunately a few students went too far. Certainly the alcohol element may be in the firing line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

it wont be the last of rag wk..what happened in cc was terrible but no way on a par with cit xmas day in 07 or nuig rag wk this year.

Apparantly it was a regeneration family's car that they wrecked who according to a guard i know that works in the area, they will not take this one lying down and the students may have met their match. Anyone who knows the particular area where it happened will know that its predominantly 4th years that live there and i dont mean to be spreading rumours here but im sure people will have heard names being dropped into the equation of a group of 4th business guys from limk that dont live in the estate and actually live at home with their parents.

Anyway whoever it was should be punished SEVERELY...i love a laugh and rag wk but this isolated incidentwas a disgrace.

Apparantly it was a regeneration family's car that they wrecked who according to a guard i know that works in the area, they will not take this one lying down and the students may have met their match.

ye i heard that too didnt want to mention it as its irrelevant who they are and if they do anything to get revenge they are just as bad if not worse then the students

also i have been talking to people who say they know who did it and while i didnt ask for any names im sure the names are out there and it wont be too hard for people who want to to find out who they are hopefully it will be the college who find out and not the family

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The fact of the matter is:

RAG week happened on campus with the minor exception of the Trinity Rooms gig. Outside of campus is not a matter for the SU.

The SU organises security and supervision for ALL RAG Week events, be it Crew or Arranging with Trinity Rooms to have security on.

34 Boats took part in the raft race, 9 rafts were left. The river bank is a tip 365 days a year, but this proved adaquate excuse for the high horse brigade to come out.
    The raft race raised close to €800 for charity.

The car incident was WAAAAY out of order, but I've been told the Gardaí are confident of solving the issue. It is a matter for the Gardaí, not the entire student body FFS.

It could have happened any random night, but because it was RAG week on campus, it gets blamed even though RAG Week wasn't taking place in College Court.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The fact of the matter is:

RAG week happened on campus with the minor exception of the Trinity Rooms gig. Outside of campus is not a matter for the SU.

The SU organises security and supervision for ALL RAG Week events, be it Crew or Arranging with Trinity Rooms to have security on.

34 Boats took part in the raft race, 9 rafts were left. The river bank is a tip 365 days a year, but this proved adaquate excuse for the high horse brigade to come out.
    The raft race raised close to €800 for charity.

The car incident was WAAAAY out of order, but I've been told the Gardaí are confident of solving the issue. It is a matter for the Gardaí, not the entire student body FFS.

It could have happened any random night, but because it was RAG week on campus, it gets blamed even though RAG Week wasn't taking place in College Court.

I agree with all of the above apart from the car incident... I lived on that street in college court for three years, and it is way worse during rag week.. I know some of the people still living there, not exactly friends of mine but that take rag week to mean literally going mental for the week... im not convinved that the car would have been overturned on a normal night...

The only solution to this is to find the trouble makers and discipline them accordingly.. that way they will be made an example of and RAG week can continue with its main purpose in tact.. to raise money for charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 1wildwolf

Hey all...I'm an out of towner (out of country even) so I'm not trying to stir %&*$ or anything, but I was just curious about RAG week and class attendance.

From what I've heard only about 10% (or some other small percentage) of people generally show up for class during Rag week. I would think that the university might not be too happy about this (especially with the current economic climate and discussions about courses being subsidised/charged). And it being a bit of a bugger for the tutors/lecturers who show up or try to organise the classes.

Could this be another reason why they are trying to get rid of it? Has it ever been held during one of the holiday weeks? Or would this just kill it completely because too many people would have gone home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

1wildwolf wrote: »
    Hey all...I'm an out of towner (out of country even) so I'm not trying to stir %&*$ or anything, but I was just curious about RAG week and class attendance.

From what I've heard only about 10% (or some other small percentage) of people generally show up for class during Rag week. I would think that the university might not be too happy about this (especially with the current economic climate and discussions about courses being subsidised/charged). And it being a bit of a bugger for the tutors/lecturers who show up or try to organise the classes.

Could this be another reason why they are trying to get rid of it? Has it ever been held during one of the holiday weeks? Or would this just kill it completely because too many people would have gone home?

Thats a good question, but I dont think it has any bearing really.

RAG week has been going on for years, and lecturers know that students dont attend lectures during this week.

This is the second year of the new timetable which incorporates a mid-term break, so it's been difficult to schedule it any time other than during a term week.

Imo, people dont turn up for class anyways, regardless of whether its RAG week or not. That may be just BBS, but thats what I've noticed in my 4 years here.

Also, I know lecturers who organise mid-terms and project deadlines for RAG week. FFS I had 4 deadlines last week myself. Neighbours of mine had 2 and a mid-term last week.

Advertisement