Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week '09

Options
  • 30-12-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

When is it? I need to know ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 *Sully*

I think it's week 10 so March 29th - 2nd of April :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Brill, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Is that the same as last year? The week before the mid-semester week off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Funkstard wrote: »
    Is that the same as last year? The week before the mid-semester week off?

Yep. Week 10 is RAG week, week beginning Monday 30th...then the week after is the mid-semester break and the week after that is week 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭manna452121

A week of rubbish from people who should have brains and do not care about the locals

• Advertisement

Was it €15,000 it raised last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

A week of rubbish from people who should have brains and do not care about the locals

Hmmm bit of a sweeping generalisation. I have a brain (alcohol addled as it might be) but I've managed to get through 4ish rag weeks and been well behaved and have not caused troubles for locals and I can safely say the same for my friends.

Granted I can't speak for all students but hey you get ass holes in every walk of life it's not up to students to apolgise on behalf of theirs when they (the assholes probably don't give a crap anyway).
    Funkstard wrote: »
    Was it €15,000 it raised last year?

As Funkstart pointed out it does raise a significant amount of money for charities so not entirely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

rmacm wrote: »
    Hmmm bit of a sweeping generalisation. I have a brain (alcohol addled as it might be) but I've managed to get through 4ish rag weeks and been well behaved and have not caused troubles for locals and I can safely say the same for my friends.

Granted I can't speak for all students but hey you get ass holes in every walk of life it's not up to students to apolgise on behalf of theirs when they (the assholes probably don't give a crap anyway).

rmacm is right. I've spent 7 rag weeks in UL and I or my mates have never caused a bit of bother for the people who have to live in Castletroy or in greater Limerick. I and my fellow house mates took great pride in our area and tried our best to keep it in good order. For example, when I was in forth year someone set some trees alight in college court and we were one of the first to call the fire brigade along with my resident neighbours. Who I and the rest of my house mates were on very good terms with.

We, like the residents had to live in the area and it was also in our interests to keep it in proper order.

But as rmacm said, there are always the odd few tools who ruin things for everyone else. No matter where or what walk of live you are in you'll find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gudman09

The Don wrote: »
    rmacm is right. I've spent 7 rag weeks in UL and I or my mates have never caused a bit of bother for the people who have to live in Castletroy or in greater Limerick. I and my fellow house mates took great pride in our area and tried our best to keep it in good order. For example, when I was in forth year someone set some trees alight in college court and we were one of the first to call the fire brigade along with my resident neighbours. Who I and the rest of my house mates were on very good terms with.

We, like the residents had to live in the area and it was also in our interests to keep it in proper order.

But as rmacm said, there are always the odd few tools who ruin things for everyone else. No matter where or what walk of live you are in you'll find them.

two points:
    thinkin of setting up a one day soccer/tag rugby tourni for rag week with each estate having a team i.e groody v briarfield and so on? good idea or bad idea?

secondly some estates have become very dirty namely briarfield and milford grange....just keep on top of it it you live in one of em

gudman09 wrote: »
    two points:
    thinkin of setting up a one day soccer/tag rugby tourni for rag week with each estate having a team i.e groody v briarfield and so on? good idea or bad idea?

secondly some estates have become very dirty namely briarfield and milford grange....just keep on top of it it you live in one of em

I think the soccer/rugby might have potential, granted I wouldn't have played myself when I was in UL but you'll definitely find people who'd be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gudman09

rmacm wrote: »
    I think the soccer/rugby might have potential, granted I wouldn't have played myself when I was in UL but you'll definitely find people who'd be interested.

couple years back a crowd of lads did it, had one big soccer game. full squads of players, jerseys, managers in suits and long coats, trophy named in honor of some fella that had dropped out!! was great success, big crowd attended and even bumped into willie o dea in hurlers after and got him to present the trophy! videos on youtube. would love to have day like that....

couple years back a crowd of lads did it, had one big soccer game. full squads of players, jerseys, managers in suits and long coats, trophy named in honor of some fella that had dropped out!! was great success, big crowd attended and even bumped into willie o dea in hurlers after and got him to present the trophy! videos on youtube. would love to have day like that....

You mind if I ask are you in UL? If so why don't you try organise something yourself or propose the idea to some one in the SU? I'd imagine there are plenty of good ideas out there for potential fund raising activities or activities not focused totally on drinking (rich coming from me I know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Hey, if you call into Damien in the SU he oversees ents and RAG week and stuff; might be able to give you pointers on organising this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I'd say I could even have a talk with Regina in SU and I could probably make it happen. They'll probably only supply the astro-turf and bids but thats enough to get us going. Anyway, I won't get to play in this if it's milford grange vs briarfield which I'm annoyed about. I want to play in it. Though I understand its for charity and just for a laugh.

I think a league of areas running a full day would be good, and a final the next day around 4 or something. Like Milford grange vs Briarfield, Thomond+Cappa Village vs people who stay at home. Just so I could play :D Or maybe organise it by course?

Or UL soccer team vs others? I'd say we could have a fairly decent team to play against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Actually lecturers vs UL students?

Or

UL vs LIT+Mary Eye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mymipage

Yep. Week 10 is RAG week, week beginning Monday 30th...then the week after is the mid-semester break and the week after that is week 11.

Can't wait to see who UL bring in for RAG Week this year :) Mary I is next week and LIT the week after. Some names playing over the next two weeks;

MARY I - Sash
    MARY I - The Coronas
    MARY I - *snip*
    LIT - 2 Unlimited
    LIT - Sander Van Doorn
    LIT - Free bar with Saving J

Gonna be two long weeks... when is the RAG Week line-up normally announced in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mymipage wrote: »
    Gonna be two long weeks... when is the RAG Week line-up normally announced in UL?
    Listings came out last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

God how many times have the blizzards played ul now...

Anyone else dissapointed with the linup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

mymipage wrote: »
    Can't wait to see who UL bring in for RAG Week this year :) Mary I is next week and LIT the week after. Some names playing over the next two weeks;

<Snip>

Some band(s) there that we're not supposed to talk about mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The events are organised by EightBall in UL, and I assume similarly those who should not be discussed have nothing to do with the other 2 RAG weeks so there's no issue. In addition to that it's event discussion that is frowned upon and not listing.

In any case I don't know why boards doesn't do a politics.ie on it and get hosted in the states so we can discuss whatever we like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Line up is fairly rubbish imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Dunno - I like the Blizzards + lets be honest, by the time any band come on it doesn't matter who they are a good time is gonna be had!!!

I wish we had the *snip* back though - Might tipp over to Mary I to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Patricide wrote: »

+ 1
    ImDave wrote: »
    Line up is fairly rubbish imo.

+ 1

LIT Line-up is sweet, deffo going to see Sander van Doorn icon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Patricide wrote: »

ye its crap

is there any truth to the fact that ents does not do the organising they outsource it to a company run by some guy called keith? if so thats an absolute farce

PeakOutput wrote: »
    ye its crap

is there any truth to the fact that ents does not do the organising they outsource it to a company run by some guy called keith? if so thats an absolute farce

Yeah its true - He's the representative here of a company called 8 ball!!!

Basically there company has all the contacts for gigs and stuff - though it has to be admitted that they arn't giving us much of a diversity in recent months.

In fact class reps have the opportunity to use them for their class parties. They seem to be trying to scale back their operations here though as they were at Class Reps Council last tueday whinging about organising class rep parties that take up too much time and having classes that cancel after they prepared a party.

No offense, while annoying that is their job!!!!

They say that its taking away from organising RAG week as well - though they seem to have managed over recent years!

As for Ents themselves - they provide the security and the advertising for the events!

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the situation but that is the way it is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

im a 4th year now so have been to loadsa rag weeks all over the place and really it is quite disappointing here this year. the blizzards...i absolutely love them but seriously, iv seen em in ul about 5times in 3 years. even the delorentos or the coronas would be a change. at least christy moore TRIBUTE isnt on again. so is it the real wolfe tones or another tribute?? all my friends in 4th year are fairly pissed off over hte line-up.... ul is the 4th biggest college in the country..surely we could have done a little bit better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

at least christy moore TRIBUTE isnt on again.

Actually it is on again :(

so is it the real wolfe tones or another tribute??

Tribute ........ It's the Young Wolfe Tones

Sander Van Doorn playing in LIT!?

UL lineup is absolute bollocks all right, but I've only ever gone to a few events..nights out have been the most memorable part of it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

DJCR wrote: »
    Tribute ........ It's the Young Wolfe Tones
    O well, there goes the one thing i thought would be decent. Now all thats good is hells bells...seen them before and there actually crackin. Best tribute ive ever seen.

Advertisement