Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for mixers

Options
  • 29-12-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I was in the pub the other night and one of the perils of widom I heard at the bar was that it's technically illegal to charge for mixers.

In the UK you get a splash of whatever nearly always free with your drink.
    A gin and tonic has one gin and tonic price rather than a price for the shot and then the charge for the wee bottle...

Why is it that Irish pubs all seem to charge for the mixers and the UK pubs don't
    Is there any truth at all in my bar friend's statement ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I was in the pub the other night and one of the perils of widom I heard at the bar was that it's technically illegal to charge for mixers.
    That's almost certainly wrong.

Having worked here and the uk behind the pumps, it is a categoric load of bull.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beware the bar-room lawyers, eh? No it's not illegal to charge for mixers. The situation is different in the UK because the whole market economics of running a pub are different there. There's competition on prices and services that is almost non-existent here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A gin and tonic has one gin and tonic price rather than a price for the shot and then the charge for the wee bottle...

Why is it that Irish pubs all seem to charge for the mixers and the UK pubs don't

Did you know that it's illegal to drink more than 20 pints in one pub. So if you drink 20 pints and are not drunk, the bar is legally required to give you free pints until you pass out or move on somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

BeerNut wrote: »
    Beware the bar-room lawyers, eh? No it's not illegal to charge for mixers. The situation is different in the UK because the whole market economics of running a pub are different there. There's competition on prices and services that is almost non-existent here.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Did you know that it's illegal to drink more than 20 pints in one pub. So if you drink 20 pints and are not drunk, the bar is legally required to give you free pints until you pass out or move on somewhere else.

Tongue firmly in cheek there, I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Your friend is wrong..

I have lived in the UK for 20 years, and I don't think I have ever not been charged for a mixer. The UK system is exactly the same as the Irish system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

You might get charged in the UK but nothing like here. I remember on many occasions having had too much in a club over there I'd ask for a coke. You'd be given a splash and be charged a pound tops. Over here a pint of coke is dearer than a pint of beer and beer is expensive. Ripoff Ireland as per usual. With sterling now on virtual parity we're gonna see a bit of pain for Dublin Publicans. And in a way I'm glad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Welease wrote: »
    Your friend is wrong..

I have lived in the UK for 20 years, and I don't think I have ever not been charged for a mixer. The UK system is exactly the same as the Irish system.
    You might get charged in the UK but nothing like here. I remember on many occasions having had too much in a club over there I'd ask for a coke. You'd be given a splash and be charged a pound tops. Over here a pint of coke is dearer than a pint of beer and beer is expensive. Ripoff Ireland as per usual. With sterling now on virtual parity we're gonna see a bit of pain for Dublin Publicans. And in a way I'm glad.

Most UK pubs don't charge for a mixer or a splash of coke or whatever
    Irish pubs usually don't have a splash and charge for your little bottle of mixer.

Saw the friend again tonight, he was convinced a bar man told him.
    I'll get him to get me a whiskey with free splash of coke next time!!

Most UK pubs don't charge for a mixer or a splash of coke or whatever
    Irish pubs usually don't have a splash and charge for your little bottle of mixer.

Well, in my experience that is simply not true..

In the UK, most pubs do have small fizzy coke/orange dispensers behind the bar which are used for soft drink mixers (and they DO charge for them).
    If you want a G&T (or bitter lemon etc), then you will get the small mixer bottle same as in Ireland.

The only difference is, in the UK you dont need to buy the full bottle of coke for example if you just need a splash.. but you still get charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Well, in my experience that is simply not true..

In the UK, most pubs do have small fizzy coke/orange dispensers behind the bar which are used for soft drink mixers (and they DO charge for them).
    If you want a G&T (or bitter lemon etc), then you will get the small mixer bottle same as in Ireland.

The only difference is, in the UK you dont need to buy the full bottle of coke for example if you just need a splash.. but you still get charged.

There is plenty of pubs here in Ireland that mix a short with a splash and you will be charged a splash rate for a mixer and more for a glass of the mineral. My experience here is that people prefer a bottle of cola etc for many reasons over a splash given the choice.

In all fairness, the pubs in England have such economies of scale over Irish pubs and chain competition that the price differences in drinks and food will be huge. Also, the quality and size of Irish pubs is a world away from the British pub so the cost basis is different. In short, it is two different markets altogether.

Well €2 for a small bottle of tonic bringing the cost of a G&T up to €6.80 is mad

Hamndegger wrote: »
    There is plenty of pubs here in Ireland that mix a short with a splash and you will be charged a splash rate for a mixer and more for a glass of the mineral. My experience here is that people prefer a bottle of cola etc for many reasons over a splash given the choice.

Oh absolutely, my local generally does splashes from large 2ltr bottles.. and charges a minimal amount for them..

T

In all fairness, the pubs in England have such economies of scale over Irish pubs and chain competition that the price differences in drinks and food will be huge. Also, the quality and size of Irish pubs is a world away from the British pub so the cost basis is different. In short, it is two different markets altogether.
    Different markets yes. Economies of scale? Irish pubs dont do volume? Quality yes , arguably better due to better atmosphere, better people, less fights. Food. Ireland generally better and good value too. Nothing in your points addresses downright fleecing where soft drinks and mixers are concerned. Two different markets. One fleeces at every opportunity, the other doesn't so much.

Different markets yes. Economies of scale? Irish pubs dont do volume? Quality yes , arguably better due to better atmosphere, better people, less fights. Food. Ireland generally better and good value too. Nothing in your points addresses downright fleecing where soft drinks and mixers are concerned. Two different markets. One fleeces at every opportunity, the other doesn't so much.

The economies of scales kick in when a S+N or Allied Dom or Wetherspoons et al can order bottles of, say, Miller or Fanta for their own chains at a go, and with 3,4 or 5 thousand pubs per group to supply for, batch runs can be done for same. Even small things like tableware, seats, posters, food supplies, in house radio, sundries, staff wages and uniforms can cut down costings hugely. Some of the chains don't even take on qualified chefs, instead relying on bar staff to do the cooking, well reheating really. Think about it when you get the same menu and price for food in London as you do in Liverpool.

One point on bottled drinks to consider is that they cost more to the customer than kegged drink as they take up more shelf space than kegs and more staff time to stock and serve. A tray of 12 pint bottles of beer or cider takes up slightly less space than a keg of the same brew yet it needs stacking, chilling, ice, putting away empty bottles etc. Kegs have greater economy of scale in their favour. A few pubs stocked draught Smirnoff Ice a few years back and sold it for the same rate as a half pint bottle for the same reasons.

A few points there and some good ones. However regarding chains,yes they have great buying power but there are many free houses over there also and their charges are not as extortionate as here. And really, are Irish Pubs buying that badly?. Premium beers are selling in tescos et al at less than a euro a bottle . I dont expect anyone to give stuff away but the margin in such an example is obvious.Tesco €1 Pub €5. €4 for a very simple service action.Re food, you confirm what I say. Re kegs v bottles, yes but is draught beer cheap here? No. Put it whatever way you like but at the end of the day publicans here are exacting greedy margins on everything that they can. The original post was questioning this with regard to mixers. THE ANSWER IS YES, PUBLICANS IN IRELAND ARE UNREASONABLY GREEDY WHERE MIXERS ARE CONCERNED And for soft drink users the message is clear. If you dont want alcohol you have to pay a premium for that choice.

One point on bottled drinks to consider is that they cost more to the customer than kegged drink as they take up more shelf space than kegs and more staff time to stock and serve.
    Yes , unpacking a box of bottles and taking the top off them is highly labour intensive. Also you cant reuse the ullages from the slop trays where bottles are concerned. Those poor Irish Publicans. Makes me weep. Although maybe on second thoughts,if some thoughtful drinkers left behind some unfinished bottles, they could be put in the slop tray after closing time and served up next day as draught:)

Draught beer is cheaper by far in pubs for the reasons I pointed out; buy a pint of Miller, Bulmers, Coors, Carlsberg, Heineken et al and buy their bottled cousins and you will pay the same for less beer and in many cases somewhat more; there is more work involved in same from brewing to drinking and cleaning etc.

Nobody doubts that many pubs rub it in big time with mixers but other people can point you to pubs that gladly give you a dash for free but would people have their vodkas with coke from a 2 litre bottle? When it comes to splashes, the answer is no so I'd doubt if it will be yes with the bottle.
    A few points there and some good ones. However regarding chains,yes they have great buying power but there are many free houses over there also and their charges are not as extortionate as here. And really, are Irish Pubs buying that badly?. Premium beers are selling in tescos et al at less than a euro a bottle . I dont expect anyone to give stuff away but the margin in such an example is obvious.Tesco €1 Pub €5. €4 for a very simple service action.Re food, you confirm what I say. Re kegs v bottles, yes but is draught beer cheap here? No. Put it whatever way you like but at the end of the day publicans here are exacting greedy margins on everything that they can. The original post was questioning this with regard to mixers. THE ANSWER IS YES, PUBLICANS IN IRELAND ARE UNREASONABLY GREEDY WHERE MIXERS ARE CONCERNED And for soft drink users the message is clear. If you dont want alcohol you have to pay a premium for that choice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

One point on bottled drinks to consider is that they cost more to the customer than kegged drink as they take up more shelf space than kegs and more staff time to stock and serve. A tray of 12 pint bottles of beer or cider takes up slightly less space than a keg of the same brew yet it needs stacking, chilling, ice, putting away empty bottles etc. Kegs have greater economy of scale in their favour. A few pubs stocked draught Smirnoff Ice a few years back and sold it for the same rate as a half pint bottle for the same reasons.

Interesting point, although I find that in a lot of places you will get a 500ml bottle of tiger beer or budvar for €5.50 and a pint of the usual rubbish for €5. The 50c extra is worth it for the better quality of beer and the better taste from a bottle. The 68mls that you lose from a pint are often head, and in a crowded place there will usually be at least 68mls spilled as you try to get back to your seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

You get ripped off when you purchase anything, so why is everyone complaining?

• Advertisement

It's utterly f*cking disgraceful that a pint of Guinness is cheaper in England than it is in Ireland.

Well, perhaps not disgraceful but definately unpatriotic

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

I've been in a few pubs that don't charge for a splash,I love those pubs!I think the price for soft drinks is disgraceful and the bottles of mixers, like Coke, seem to have gotten smaller.

Can people start posting where these pubs are that A) give you a splash and B) don't charge for a splash ?

Maybe a seperate thread's in order ?

It's utterly f*cking disgraceful that a pint of Guinness is cheaper in England than it is in Ireland.

Well, perhaps not disgraceful but definately unpatriotic

I remember being in Wales in 1998 and one of my friends bought a pint of Beamish, it set him back £3.50 while my pint of Yorkshire Tea cost 95 pence!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

perhaps not disgraceful but definately unpatriotic
    It's perfectly patriotic. The makers of Guinness -- Diageo Plc of Henrietta Place, London -- would have it no other way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Can people start posting where these pubs are that A) give you a splash and B) don't charge for a splash ?

Maybe a seperate thread's in order ?

this is a great idea. if anyone knows anywhere in dublin that does coke splashes it would be great.

i've noticed even in the last 2 years or so they are becoming less available. i used to be able to get splashes of red lemonade a lot of places. now, however, most bars only have lime and blackcurrent.

as a conseqence i've started drinking my selected spirit of the evening straight, which i'm sure can't be doing my insides much good!
    so i would be very interested to find places that wouldn't charge me 2e + for a bit of coke

I was in the Foggy Dew the other night. On their price list menu they say that it's €3 for Coke, 7up etc... essentially all mixers. They also have cans priced at €3 and they've a "dash" for €1. I'm assuming the dash doesn't get you a dash of coke! My mate who wasn't drinking went to the shop and got a can of coke and saved herself a few quid.

All the pubs I've been in since this new "price freeze" have upped their prices and then have the audacity to put up posters saying they're freezing prices "for our customers" as if they care.

More like a price squeeze ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

All the pubs I've been in since this new "price freeze" have upped their prices and then have the audacity to put up posters saying they're freezing prices "for our customers" as if they care.

More like a price squeeze ...
    In fairness, the 'price freeze' thing is just a marketing tool, I don't think pubs will pay any heed to it. Prices will be governed by demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Oh absolutely, my local generally does splashes from large 2ltr bottles.. and charges a minimal amount for them..
    i was in a pub in fairview not so long ago and was charged for two dashs when i asked for a large vodka and coke,pulled the owner of the pub and explained that i should be charged less if anything as there was less room in the glass needless to say i wont be back :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I couldnt get over how much a splash of mixer cost over Christmas when I was home. Herself was on vodka and white over the Christmas so I was looking at the receipts in the bars I was in it varied from E0.80 - E1.90. Couldn't get over it. Those weren't for a bottle of mixer either it was either a top up from a 2L bottle or from a dispenser tap.

Advertisement