Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a train driver in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

Around milepost 59 on the Dublin-Belfast line the signalling switches from CAWS to AWS/TPWS, the train radio systems are also different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Like most of public service the workers through the unions run the show for themselves and extract above market rates for their labour. Theres a rude awakening coming for all those in public sector in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd be very interested if this has changed, it's been my dream for quite a while now. :)

It seems it hasn't yet.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It is a good idea on paper but until there is a recognised international permit or licence to drive trains, experience in driving a train can't be applied with any degree of balance or confidence for any company to rely on. Locomotive types are very very different so it would be a logistic nightmare to write and be assured. Even then, the rule books and safety procedures vary greatly from company to company so the long training courses would still apply to satisfy insurance companies, the real blocker in such a proposal; Irish Rail would have very different procedures and workings to LUAS or even Translink. Thus far Irish Rail drivers safety records speak for themselves under the old system.
    Seems to be in the works - EU Directive 2007/59/EC: on the certification of train drivers operating locomotives and trains on the railway system in the Community
    (6) The aim of these common provisions should be above all to make it easier for train drivers to move from one Member State to another, but also to make it easier for them to move from one railway undertaking to another, and generally for licences and harmonised complementary certificates to be recognised by all railway sector stakeholders. To this end, it is essential that the provisions establish minimum requirements which applicants should meet to obtain a licence or harmonised complementary certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Since when has Bord na Mona been a railway company?

I have to admit, it would be fairly amusing to someone who didn't know about the bog railway when they see someone talk about Bord na Mona railway.

While in Germany, I saw a fairly complex rail operation at the Opel factory in Rüsselsheim. Opel branded locos and everything but I'd think they'd just be for shunting and Railion would take care of the long distance stuff. Just goes to show you though, you could be a loco driver in loads of different companies other than public transport companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Victor wrote: »
    It seems the Translink and Irish Rail rule books are very similar, although there are some differences in signalling and equipment.

the rule book used by irish rail is a 32 county rule book

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The train protection systems are different through. That's why you can only run certain IE trains north - the ones fitted with TPWS. Of course, we could always do one of those nifty 32-county projects and follow Denmark's lead, resulting in a single train control system and then any Translink or IE train could go anywhere that the equipment and driver was cleared to operate.

There is an IE move to GSM-R in the DART system with a notional future ETCS link but they should act ambitiously and roll it out nationally/cross-border - that might be the kind of project Euro funds would cover substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

luzon wrote: »
    the rule book used by irish rail is a 32 county rule book

NIR operates to it's own rule book though many rules in both companies are applicable on both networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

dowlingm wrote: »
    The train protection systems are different through. That's why you can only run certain IE trains north - the ones fitted with TPWS. .

CAWS is a in cab signal system, not a train protection system. With the exception of DART, Irish Rail diesel railcars and locos are not fitted with train protection systems save for those running in the North as per UK Law askings.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Historically the benefit to the company in having family-based recruitment is that it reduces the chances of strikes.

It's hard to strike when the entire family is going to be unpaid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been trying to do it for over two years with no success - I'm not from a family with a railway background. IÉ only recruit drivers internally so you need to get in there doing something else first. They've also had a recruitment ban for the last few years so I don't think they'll be opening up any time soon. Might need to go abroad to fulfill my dream. :(

I sent my CV to them for the craic in the summer and was brought in, to my great surprise, for aptitude tests, interview, medical etc.

They basically do all this fairly regularly I think so they have a list of people who are ready to start in a station as and when needed. I think I'm on this list but haven't heard anything since October other than all my tests were successful.

I sent my CV to them for the craic in the summer and was brought in, to my great surprise, for aptitude tests, interview, medical etc.

They basically do all this fairly regularly I think so they have a list of people who are ready to start in a station as and when needed. I think I'm on this list but haven't heard anything since October other than all my tests were successful.

Are you in IE doing something else though?

Are you in IE doing something else though?

Nope, I've never had anything to do with them and neither has anyone in my immediate or extended family.
    Either I was just lucky or the people here saying that it's all about who you know are wrong. With equal opportunities and all that I don't think they would get away with such blatant nepotism.
    As far as I'm aware it takes a very specific set of traits for a person to be a loco driver. They test you rigorously to check if you are that kind of person. Therefore it is more likely that the son of a train driver would also be a successful driver because he is his father's son and they would share a lot of traits.

That's interesting, thanks for that. I don't know if I'm suited for the job but I'd certainly like to try for it as I've been wanting to for quite a while now.

Yes, I would definitely recommend you go for it as having in interest is definitely half the battle. It is a lengthy process though.

Also I just found out yesterday that there is currently a "recruitment freeze" in place at IE which means that people such as myself who have actually gone through the recruitment process successfully over the past number of months have still not got a job because they've decided not to hire anyone at all for the time being!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 culvers

Im an irish train driver over in the UK and would agree with the previous comment about coming over here to get a job, particularly london, as the railway depots there have the most vacancies. The route to getting the job is solely on ability to pass the selection process, along with a healthy dash of luck!

When i was starting out, i found some useful information on what to expect when applying at http://www.traindrivertrainee.com which contains lots of helpful information on the job role, and what to expect at each stage of the recruitment process. Also had links on where to apply, i got in with first great western.

Anyway, the pay is great, and the job is great too. No regrets here, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Uk is probably the best option for an aspiring train driver at the moment but if there is anything anyone wants to know with regards train driving here drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

Did the OP have any luck? Im curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

its fairly easy to become a train driver for IR. Just apply and then do the aptitude test which also has a paper with 180 or so questions with three i think answers to find out what you are like then its reaction test, interview and medical. There are a few lads in inchicore that have came from the outside, spent a about six weeks or so in heuston then went straight to the school. This talk of not being able to get a job in IR without being related to someone is nonsense, it could very well help but it could also hinder you too, especially if you put someone down for referee and they are lazy or troublesome lol. There arent any father and sons driving in inchicore but i cant speak for other depots though. The training courses are starting again soon or so im told anyway. Well i hope the op gives it a go but be carefull what you wish for. Decide very carefully what depot you want to work in because from what i can make out some are handier than others. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    its fairly easy to become a train driver for IR. Just apply and then do the aptitude test which also has a paper with 180 or so questions with three i think answers to find out what you are like then its reaction test, interview and medical. There are a few lads in inchicore that have came from the outside, spent a about six weeks or so in heuston then went straight to the school. This talk of not being able to get a job in IR without being related to someone is nonsense, it could very well help but it could also hinder you too, especially if you put someone down for referee and they are lazy or troublesome lol. There arent any father and sons driving in inchicore but i cant speak for other depots though. The training courses are starting again soon or so im told anyway. Well i hope the op gives it a go but be carefull what you wish for. Decide very carefully what depot you want to work in because from what i can make out some are handier than others. Good luck

Who do you call for an application form etc i have rang connolly a few times and got the run around
    thanks

• Advertisement

PM me if you want a copy, I have some. :)

SARASON wrote: »
    Who do you call for an application form etc i have rang connolly a few times and got the run around
    thanks

[HTML][/HTML]
    Drop into the red brick building beside connolly or the station masters office in heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Dunno what it was, but I got the urge to become a train driver too! :D

So I submitted my cv the other day. Obviously they state they are not recruiting at the moment, but hopefully I get lucky and hear something back! It's worth a shot! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you need a time machine , go back to before you were born and make sure your Auld Feller was a Train Driver.

corktina wrote: »
    you need a time machine , go back to before you were born and make sure your Auld Feller was a Train Driver.

them days are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:
    Chriscl1 wrote: »
    them days are long gone.

I wouldn't be so sure

:pac::pac::pac:

I wouldn't be so sure

well me and most of the lads i drive with are not railway children, infact the last two driving courses were full of lads that got the driving from outside IE and did a couple of weeks as depot men and then started up in the school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Le_bounce

PM me if you want a copy, I have some. :)
    Hi karsini just came across you post there, I have sent my cv into Waterford to but it never got much notice. I never knew you could get an form to fill in and send to them just wondering have you any spare forms it would be of great help thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 plstudent

How is it in Northern Ireland? Is there are widespread nepotism or does an outsider actually have a chance?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement